• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Brothers League: Season 2 (1st: Killer, 2nd: LD, 3rd: A$/Battlecow)

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Super Smash Brothers League (SSBL): Season 2 (Tentative start date June 3rd)

It's been a long time coming, but it's finally here! Welcome to the 2nd season of the Super Smash Brothers League, otherwise known as the SSBL. The SSBL is a long-running competitive event that involves both a regular season and a single elimination tournament. The league format is meant to mimic that of the NFL, and is looking for 16 players to make up 4 divisions and 2 conferences. The event will run during the entirety of the months of June and July, though don't fret if you are going on vacation during that time period, that can be worked around. See below for more details about the league and how to sign up!

Structure:
The structure of this will be very similar to that of the NFL, for those who follow football. The league will be divided into 2 conferences. Within each conference, there will be 2 divisions, each consisting of 4 players. The general schedule will be comprised of the following matches:

-2 matches against each division opponent (6 games)

-Each division will play the other division within its conference from top to bottom. For example, ‘player A’ in Division 1, Conference 1, will play every player in Division 2, Conference 1. (4 games)

-Each division will play one other division from the other conference from top to bottom. (4 games)

With 16 participants, this will total 14 games in the regular season.

At the end of the season, 4 players from each conference will be invited to the playoffs. The 4 division winners will be invited, as well as 2 wildcard players per conference that will be determined by overall record. The playoffs will be a single elimination tournament, with players from different conferences on different sides of the bracket, the only interconference playoff game being the "Super Bowl" if you will.

This should take 7 weeks to complete the regular season, and an ambitious 1 week to complete the playoffs.

Match Rules:
The league will be following the SSB64 Backroom ruleset (READ THEM!), with the following match lengths:

Regular Season Matches will be best of 3 games (win 2 to clinch).

Playoff Matches will be best of 5, 7, and 9 games in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounds.

Backroom ruleset: http://www.smashboards.com/threads/the-official-64br-recommended-ruleset.295918/

Scheduling your games and forfeits:

Each week, you will be assigned 2 games to play. The week will start at noon on Mondays, and will end on noon of the following Monday. This should give people time to set up matches for the weekend, since that is when most people are available. If a match is reported at 12:01 PM on Monday, it is late unless given an extension by me, and will be considered not played. No one plays matches on Monday at noon, so there should be no reason to even come close to this deadline.

If a game is not played, one of 2 things will occur.

1) If neither player has made a serious attempt to contact the other and set up a game time, both players will be handed losses.

2) If only one player makes a serious attempt to contact the other and set up a game time, then said player will receive a win, and his opponent will receive a loss.

I will serve as the judge-jury-executioner, aka the Roger Goodell of the league if you will. I make no promises or guarantees, but if you don’t want to forfeit any games I have some guidelines below that will help sway me in your direction if you follow them.

-Initiate the contact with your opponents. USE THE CONVERSATION TOOL ON SMASHBOARDS. If anyone says "I was on galaxy all day but didn't see my opponent", you are asking for a forfeit (unless you had previously agreed to meet your opponent on galaxy)

-Do not let your first message be: “When do you want to play?” Start by suggesting times during the week when YOU can play. We all know that sometimes people take time to respond, so 1 less message could actually save a whole day or more.

-Contact your opponents on the first day of the week, second day at the latest. If two players do not make any contact until the 4th day of the week and then find they cannot find a time to play in the next 3 days, I will be more inclined to give them both forfeits than if they had made contact on the 2nd day and found the last 5 days of the week would not work. Give yourself as many days as possible to get your match in.

-Along the same lines, do not simply message your opponent the first day, and then not check back in until a few days later. Set up a match time as early as possible

What to do about vacation, etc.?

Obviously during the summer many people will be going on at least one vacation, especially since the league runs through July 4th. This is okay. Please just let me know as early as you possibly can when you will be unavailable. I can give you your scheduled games a week early, or I can extend your games to the following week. I will need to know AT LEAST ONE WEEK AHEAD OF TIME if you are going to be unavailable. Emergencies will be dealt with on a case by case basis.

Reporting Results:
You may report match results in this this thread. Be sure to identify in the result post:

1) What week the match was assigned.

2) Both participants in the match.

3) The score

i.e.

Week 1

Clubba22 beat Star King 3 - 0

PLEASE DO NOT EDIT A PREVIOUS POST TO REPORT YOUR SCORE, AND DO NOT EDIT A POST IN WHICH YOU HAVE REPORTED A SCORE.

This makes it easier for me if I have to go back and double check something and ensures that I don't miss your post.

Playoff Selection and Tiebreakers:

You don’t need to read these. They are just here so everyone knows what the tiebreaks are ahead of time. We will be using the NFL tiebreak rules (because they have been tested), with the following changes:

-Strengths of victory/schedule are not considered

-Any qualifier that is obviously specific to football is obviously not considered.

-In all cases, after conference won-lost-tied percentage has been applied but before the coin toss:

-best win in terms of win-loss ratio of opponent (excluding wins against each other)

NFL tiebreak rules: http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Sign-up:

To sign up, post below in this thread with the following information:

Kaillera Name (required):

Location(required):

General Availability times(required):

Availability, location, and the ELO ratings I created will be used to assign divisions. For anyone not currently rated in the ELO, I will use my best judgement to create balanced divisions. Please convert your available times to East Coast time zone so I don’t have to do it for everyone, thanks.

This should be a good time again. Everyone feel free to sign up, but this will not be exactly first come first serve. People who have a bad history of completing matches will be less likely to be put in the league. People who have shown interest over the past 2 years will almost certainly be given a spot.

Forgot to mention, no one can be forced to play with a higher ping than what they get in galaxy.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Standings

.....................................................................W.............................L

National Smash Conference

East

C-LD...........................................................11..............................3
W-A$...........................................................8...............................6
E-Wilde.......................................................6...............................8
E-Combo Blaze(0-4 via Prisonchild)..........2...............................12

West

D-Fireblaster(0-4 via Madrush)....................8...............................6
W-Fays........................................................7...............................7
E-Korobeniki................................................7...............................7
E-Hipstur......................................................3...............................11

American Smash Conference

North

C-Killer(2-1 via Nova)................................12...............................2
W-Greginator..............................................9...............................5
W-SheerMadness(1-5 via Mahie)..............8...............................6
E-Komotonoto (0-4 via Vice).....................2...............................12

South

D-Battlecow...............................................9...............................5
E-Star King(1-3 via weedwack)................5...............................9
E-Nyoouber...............................................4...............................8
E-Cobrevolution........................................2...............................12

W-clinched at least a wildcard playoff birth
D-clinched Division
C-clinched the conference #1 seed
E-mathematically eliminated

Waiting List:
1. NapKitty
2. Clubbadubba

clubbadubba

Smash Master
WEEK 1:

1st set:

A$ 2-0 madrush
LD 2-0 hipstur
wilde 1-0 koro (FORFEIT)
prisonchild 0-2 fays
greginator 1-2 battlecow
nova 2-0 cobr
mahie 2-0 weedwack
vice 0-1 nyoouber (FORFEIT)

2nd set

A$ 2-1 battlecow
LD 2-0 cobr
wilde 2-0 weedwack
prisonchild 0-2 nyoouber
madrush 0-2 greginator
hipstur 0-2 nova
koro 2-0 mahie
fays 2-0 vice

WEEK 2:

1st set

A$ 1-0 prisonchild (FORFEIT)
LD 2-0 wilde
madrush 0-2 fays
hipstur 0-2 koro
greg 1-0 vice (FORFEIT)
killer 2-1 mahie
battlecow 2-0 nyoouber
cobrevolution 1-2 weedwack

2nd set

A$ 1-2 LD
wilde 1-0 prisonchild (FORFEIT)
madrush 0-1 hipstur (FORFEIT)
koro 0-2 fays
greginator 2-0 nova
mahie 0-0 vice (DOUBLE FORFEIT)
battlecow 2-0 cobrevolution
weedwack 1-2 nyoouber

WEEK 3:

1st Set:

A$ 1-2 fays
LD 2-0 koro
wilde 0-2 hipstur
combo blaze 0-2 Fireblaster
greginator 2-0 nyoobuer
killer 2-0 star king
sheermadness 2-0 cobrevolution
komotonoto 0-2 battlecow

2nd Set:

A$ 2-0 hipstur
LD 1-2 Fireblaster
wilde 0-2 fays
combo blaze 0-2 koro
greginator 2-0 cobrevolution
killer 2-0 battlecow
mahie 0-1 nyoouber (FORFEIT)
komotonoto 0-0 star king (DOUBLE FORFEIT)

WEEK 4:

1st Set:

A$ 2-1 Nyoouber
LD 0-2 Star King
Wilde 2-1 Cobrevolution
Combo Blaze 0-2 Battlecow
fireblaster 1-2 Komotonoto
Hipstur 0-2 SheerMadness
Korobeniki 2-1 Killer
Fays 0-2 Greginator

2nd Set:

A$ 2-0 Cobrevolution
LD 2-0 Battlecow
Wilde 2-0 Nyoouber
Combo Blaze 0-0 Star King (DOUBLE FORFEIT)
fireblaster 0-2 Killer
Hipstur 0-2 Greginator
Korobeniki 2-0 Komotonoto
Fays 0-2 SheerMadness

WEEK 5:

1st Set:

A$ 1-2 Wilde
LD 2-0 Combo Blaze
fireblaster 2-0 Koro
Hipstur 0-1 Fays (FORFEIT)
Greginator 0-2 SheerMadness
Killer 2-0 Komo
Battlecow 1-2 Star King
Cobrevolution 2-0 Nyoouber

2nd Set:

A$ 2-1 Combo Blaze
LD 2-0 Wilde
fireblaster 2-0 Fays
Hipstur 0-1 Koro (FORFEIT)
Greginator 2-0 Komo
Killer 2-0 SheerMadness
Battlecow 2-0 Nyoouber
Cobrevolution 0-2 Star King

WEEK 6:

1st Set:

A$ 2-0 koro
LD 0-0 fays DOUBLE FORFEIT
wilde 0-2 fireblaster
combo blaze 2-1 hipstur
greginator 2-0 star king
killer 2-0 nyoouber
sheermadness 2-0 battlecow
komotonoto 2-1 cobrevolution

2nd Set:

a$ 0-2 star king
ld 2-0 nyoouber
wilde 0-2 battlecow
combo blaze 0-2 cobrevolution
fireblaster 2-1 sheermadness
hipstur 2-1 komotonoto
koro 2-0 greginator
fays 0-2 killer

WEEK 7:

1st Set:

a$ 0-0 wilde DOUBLE FORFEIT
ld 2-0 combo blaze
fireblaster 2-1 korobeniki
hipstur 0-0 fays DOUBLE FORFEIT
greginator 0-2 sheer
killer vs komo
battlecow 1-0 star king FORFEIT
cobrevolution 0-0 nyoouber DOUBLE FORFEIT

2nd Set:

a$ 1-2 ld
wilde 0-2 combo blaze
fireblaster 2-1 hipstur
koro 0-0 fays DOUBLE FORFEIT
greg 1-2 killer
sheer 2-0 komo
battlecow 2-0 cobrevolution
star king 0-0 nyoouber DOUBLE FORFEIT

PLAYOFFS

http://images.challonge.com/10utmgge.png

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
Kaillera Name: Nova
General Availability times: Monday - Thursday anytime after 3pm, Friday- Sunday most of the day
Contacts: smashboards pm, skype: gavinmac20

You should require people to have contact info.

Kabutox

Smash Apprentice
Kaillera Name: Fays
General Availability times: Weekdays afternoon/evening/night <- your times
Contacts: skype: Faysal Buyuksahin
I will play everyone from the US in galaxy, so I won't bother anyone with my distance.

Battlecow

Play to Win
battlecow
Illinois
until mid-june mostly weeknights, during the summer probably a lot we'll work it out
PM me

thegreginator

Smash Journeyman
Sounds sweet.

Kaillera Name: thegreginator
General Availability times: Weekdays after 9:30pm, weekends on a case by case basis
Contacts: Smashboards

VVilde

Smash Cadet
Name: Wilde
Availability: whenever im not at the gym
Contacts: Smashboards PM, Skype

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Yea you right, that was leftover from before. Fixed to be best win in terms of win/loss ratio of opponent

I also meant to make a point of this in the OP, but I forgot to add it so:

Default place to play games is the galaxy. No one can be forced to play games somewhere else if it raises their ping. However, if player A has 2 frames, and player B has 4 frames, either player may demand p2p IF they get 1 frame together.

Shears

Smash Master
name: shears
availability: anytime after 6 on nights the bruins arent playing
question: will drinking be allowed during the event?

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
cobrevolution/rob
nj
until i get a job, weeknights. once i get a job, weekends at sporadic times but mostly nights.
pm me on smashboards

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
So I found out I can mostly play while at home, wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, still prefer offline but this will be fun
Kaillera Name: KoRoBeNiKi, KoRo?, other names with alternating caps
General Availability times: Most times, just pm me, depends on if I start work, wut.
Contacts: Smashboards pm, steam KoRoBeNiKi

B-Town

Smash Apprentice
Kaillera Name (required): Olis

Location(required): Quebec, Canada

General Availability times(required): Depending on my work schedule either after 1pm or 8pm and sometimes on weekends too.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
name: shears
availability: anytime after 6 on nights the bruins arent playing
question: will drinking be allowed during the event?
I mean its online, I don't see how anyone could stop you from drinking lol. But, these are supposed to be serious matches so I'd urge against it.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
name:hipstur
location Reno nv
time available: varies, but mostly free

seems fun

clubbadubba

Smash Master
12 players so far, need a few more guys! I know there are a few people who have been asking about this that haven't signed up.

Komotonoto

Smash Journeyman
Kaillera Name: Komotonoto
General Availability times: Weekdays in the evening and available most of the weekend.
Contacts: Skype: Konotomoto.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Kaillera Name (required): Mahie

Location(required): Lille, France

General Availability times(required): Depends, but usually evenings/night time CET

Contact: NA64 Skype chat would be easiest. Or here, I guess.

Gapehorn

Smash Rookie
Kaillera Name (required): Gapehorn
Location(required): Sarasota, Florida
General Availability times(required): almost anyday past 5
Contact: Skype chat, email: Jordandmjones7@gmail.com or here either work

clubbadubba

Smash Master
So far 15 entrants, but one of them is komo who is now banned so idk how well he would be able to communicate. I would prefer not to enter this time around, but if I have to I will. No one else wants in? I know killer has been asking about the league for months.

madrush21

Smash Journeyman
Kaillera Name: Madrush/Rush
General Availability times: weekdays anytime
Contacts: skype: cllamato

can we substitute console matches If we get the chance to play in person?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
to be honest this is destinated to fail unless u guys ask for a buy in so they would at least care a bit to play thats my opinion ofc
well last time it worked out pretty well in terms of participation I thought. I had numbers and I remember being pretty impressed by them. Towards the end a few select people stopped playing, some dropped out or were kicked out, but everyone who dropped out had a replacement step in. The problem last time was that it dragged on too long, this season is shorter so hopefully no one gets sick of it.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
i will be leaving the country next week and wont be back until the end of june. will this be a problem with my participation in the league?

uh yea probably. 1 week is okay but a month is probably not.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
So as things stand, 16 people have signed up. 1 of those is shears, who will be gone for a month, so he will not be participating. Another 1 of those was komo who was probably doesn't remember signing up and is banned anyway, so he's out as well. That leaves 14 people. 2 of these people are Nyoobu and Gapehorn, neither of whom I have heard of or seen on galaxy before, and both of their post counts are extremely low so I'm hesitant to put them in the league. Those guys should respond as soon as possible to this thread to assure me that they are paying attention and regularly read the thread.

The options as of now are to cut the 2 low post count guys and have a league of 12 players, or if 1 other player signs up then I will participate to make it an even 16.

B-Town

Smash Apprentice
I've been watching the thread and am prepared to play regularly for this. I also have good ping, usually get 2 frames.

Top Bottom