• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Brothers Crusade - v0.9.0 Demo Available for download!

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Tell the dev team Smash Crusade is one of the few (if not only) fighting games out there with actual quality content wise and gameplay wise and turning it into MUGEN would completely destroy that. I will also be very disappointed if there isn't a single character from Guilty Gear in there, especially since putting one in probably won't require any sprite editing.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Pretty much i have been saying. Crusade + Open Source = Dead Project

EDIT: If falcon needs help witht he game, he can recruit coders. In that way he can work faster.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
I hope Falcon doesnt release the code of the game. Is an amazing work, is stupid to trow a 3 years old project to the waste.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Open Source won't make it bad, open source really won't do anything at all, it's turning it into a Smash MUGEN that will make it bad.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Making it open-source will make it into a Smash MUGEN though. Which is the main issue.
And Falcon still hasn't shown up. I'm gonna start bugging DMX to call him or something.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
Making it open-source will make it into a Smash MUGEN though. Which is the main issue.
It won't. Crusade code is complex. I'm sure so far only Falcon8 can handle it properly and not even Phantom can add characters on his own.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
I will quote mi post on crusade forums:

Guys, i think is hilarious how do you say " We are going to make project C" If you dont know how the engine works. I have been exploring the engine for almost a year and i dont fully understand it. SO far i have learned how to add stages, but thats it, i havent found something important. I Dont know how to add charactrs (because Data.bin(, even more, i cant even add mewtwo (Data.bin again). Do you know how characters works??? Scripts. Each attacks is a DIFFERENT FILE. yeah, there is a script for JAB, one for UTILT, one for FSMASH etcetc And every attack have at least 14 different arguments, Damage, Knockback Growth, Direction, Knockback, Duration. I havent done a single modification of attacks because is too Complex. is not like "Okay this attack will do 3 damage and a low koncback". No, you have to set a hitbox, set if the attack can be done in air or not, if not, you have to switch to standing animation after the attack is finished. is a PAIN: I have a friend who is a master on Javascript and C and he couldnt udnerstand fully the code.

Just dont do this. It's going to destroy crusade.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
I think you are all conflating "open-source" with "no leadership", which isn't always the case. It could be open-source but still be a centralized project with balanced characters and everything.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
The problem is that the developers are largely inactive nowadays and one of them has clearly declared being "retired".

Though I have to admit you're right, it would probably end up as both "open-source" and "no leadership".

Also, the coder still hasn't stated what he thinks about all of this.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
It's a shame really. Crusade is one of the very few notable efforts at a Smash game (Flash 2 is an honorable mention here) alongside the especially well-done Super Smash Land. It's sad to see its main development disappear.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Alright guys, here's what's going to happen:
-The Crusade dev team is going to release a copy of Crusade's .gmk that is just the engine, with Mario, Luigi, Final Destination and Battlefield for examples to work off of.
-The game "Super Smash Brothers: Crusade" will be the current version, 0.7.1.
-DrMarioX is going to send me the full .gmk, and I'll be continuing the game under the name "Project: Crusade", with the help of a number of forum members doing spriting, roster discussion, balancing and the like. I plan to continue Crusade pretty much exactly as the devs originally planned, with only a few changes to the roster (which will be public) and some game mechanics (I have a team who's going to help make everything balanced from a competitive standpoint). Yes, this does include the Online Mode (I'll need some serious help with this though). Once the game hits 1.0, there will be a series of five patches with five characters each, which will make up "CrusaDLC", Crusade's downloadable content patches. These characters will mostly be ones who couldn't fit on the roster but would've been in otherwise, or something was holding them back, such as not being on a Nintendo Console (Ratchet and Clank is one potential character that this applies to).

We have gotten confirmation from Falcon that he is fine with going open-source:
I think I am open to this idea. I'll get back to you - busy at the moment.
(Falcon apparently sent this to DMX and he reposted it)

EDIT: Well, looks like I'm officially the head dev of Crusade now; I've got the .gmk and everything. I'll make a new thread here eventually.
In the meantime, here's Project: Crusade's forum and the Open-Source Smash forum.
The open source stuff should be released sometime next week. It'll just be the engine, Mario, Luigi, Final Destination and Battlefield.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Posting to say that the OP is now as updated as it's going to be until I make the new logo and we have the roster finalized.

For those too lazy to check the OP for the most important stuff:
Project: Crusade forum is here.
Open Source Crusade forum is here.
Character and Stage rosters are public and up for debate on the forum.
Teams are in the works; Currently formed teams: Balancing Team (Head: Excalibur), Spriting Team (Head: Dettadeus), Graphics Team (Head: Plasmis). All teams can be applied for through the forum by PMing the team head and showing that you're capable of doing the duties whatever team demands of you.
The Open-Source version of Crusade will include the game's engine, with Mario, Luigi, Final Destination and Battlefield as examples to work from. It should be released by the end of October.

Yup.

EDIT: Added a section to the FAQ about CrusaDLC.

SmashKing201

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, come join our forum. We are currently discussing and casting in our votes on our next Mario rep, Pokemon rep, as well as Final Fantasy rep.

Everyone is respectfully entitled to their opinions and everyone is welcome to discuss their throughts.

Here's the link in case you blinked twice and missed it. lol

http://projectcrusade.forumotion.com/

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I would join but I'm already on 8 different fourms, where are the character spefic boards from the previous Crusade fourm?

SuperFlash38

Smash Cadet
Whoa, whoa, whoa, when did Phantom7, Falcon8r, and Dr.MarioX give up on the game? Man. that's shocking, I don't mean I'm doubting in you, but you never actually made your own fangame... BTW, please tell me you are replacing Mario and Luigi sprites I find them YUCK. Like I sneezed on it.... No offense :D

EDIT: Oh, so quitters? Too bad, the game rocks, luckily, there's Detta to save day...er...game? I'm disappointed, seriously, it would be awesome....

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Update time!

Roster changes are whizzing by left and right, we've made about 15 cuts and 3 additions/replacements to the character roster. (Haven't really made much progress on the stage roster because it's much less important)

Notable changes are the removal of 3 Mario reps (Geno, Paper Mario and Rosalina (There's currently a poll between Geno, Fawful and Paper Mario to see who get's to be Mario's DLC rep)), the addition of Dr. Mario, Pichu, and the Ancient Minister as alternate forms, Dixie being tacked onto Diddy as a tag-team partner, replacement of Ghirahim with Tingle (potentially temporary), and replacement of Chun-Li with Mike Haggar.

Current polls taking place:
Mario DLC Representative (Between Geno, Fawful, and Paper Mario)
Pokemon DLC Representative (Between Deoxys, Meowth, and Plusle/Minun)
Final Fantasy Main Game Representative (Between Warrior of Light, Black Mage, Red Mage, Cloud Strife and Chocobo)
Tales of Main Game Representative (Between Reid Hershel, Lloyd Irving, Ruca Milda, and Cless Albane)

Yup.

SmashKing201

Smash Journeyman
I would join but I'm already on 8 different fourms, where are the character spefic boards from the previous Crusade fourm?

Damn 8? Thats alot. Im in 5. Lol

Even though your already in other forums, your still more than welcome to join. Dont have to be active on a regular basis, but it would be good to have an account so when it comes down to considering a character or adding your vote to one on a poll. So if there is some you want to add or object to, you know that all you have to do is log in and speak your mind

Everyone's opinion is always taken into consideration on the forum to help make this a game that will please everyone.

Having new members speak their mind benefits both fans and developers.

:phone:

dettadeus

Smash Lord
So now that I know how hitboxes work I can finally get started on the coding. First up is Donkey Kong!

@Mr.Jackpot: We're trying to steer away from repping too many other fighting game series, so it looks like Guilty Gear is off the list.

SmashKing201

Smash Journeyman
Also, I am currently spriting someone probably many may not expect playable. Come join the forum guys :D

:phone:

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
If anyone is interested, Id be willing to (try and) help port this to a handheld, like psp, ds, dingoo, etc. message me

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
If anyone is interested, Id be willing to (try and) help port this to a handheld, like psp, ds, dingoo, etc. message me
Well, it would be one reason for me to blow the dust off my PSP.

Crusade should get a genuine Wii port. I'm not sure if I'd be able to pull it out, so I guess I'll just wait for the open source Crusade and give it a try whenever I have more free time than usual (I'm currently busy with my game project).

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Some ports to other systems would be amazing, but in the interest of having less work to do, it would probably be something for a far future update. If we tried it now or with the next update, there'd have to be more updates to the port every time there's a patch or a new demo, and I would imagine this would be a lot of work unless the port is essentially an emulator and control patcher for the .exe.

Also, got some good news from my Dev Blog:
10-10-11. 8:30-8:50 PM.
Did a bit of work figuring out how to get the open-source .gmk working. I currently have the game set so the only characters that load are Mario and Link, and the only stages that load are Final Destination and Battlefield. I still don't know how to alter the CSS and SSS so other characters and stages are selectable, but the character will default to Mario and the stage will default to Battlefield.
I also removed all code for Classic, Break the Targets and Board the Platforms. I need to remove the menu options, however, because starting any of these three plops you onto Battlefield with no P2 and the timer from whatever mode you were doing.

If I can figure out the CSS/SSS and remove the Single Player menu options soon, the Open-Source engine should be finished by the end of the week.

Also, it seems Falcon is finishing a few things up before letting the game go entirely. Among these are Donkey Kong and Pokeballs.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Starting up a massive Stage Roster Discussion to decide which stages stay and which ones get cut and replaced.

Also, some actual game-related news:
Felipe managed to get L-Cancelling to work. If you make a shield input while landing, the landing lag will go away. He says it can be "buffered", so if you hold the shield button while the attack is going the shield input will be read as soon as you hit the ground and will instantly cancel the lag.
As he put it...
HYESH FALCON KNEE TO KNEE HYESH!
We also have a couple of new stages in the works (Gyromite and Big Blue).

Also, there should be a preview up soon of Kirby's new sprites.

In other news, I started maining Tails and discovered some cool ATs.
Here's a video showing off my Prowers. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II_a3EZQiAM

EDIT: The Mother/EarthBound representative poll is now active. It's between Porky and Claus.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
So it's Smash 64 Z-Canceling but made super easy, I think I like it. Have you guys read the SSF2 blog post yet on their engine? It'd be nice if you guys could get the if you could get their stuff that you don't already have on there.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
I think Teching could also apply to Wall-Teching (for which we'd need a wall-grab sprite as well). If sprites become available and Felipe, Falcon or I can figure out how to code it then it could very well be added.

Have you guys read the SSF2 blog post yet on their engine? It'd be nice if you guys could get the if you could get their stuff that you don't already have on there.
I think we have everything SSF2 has besides Pummeling and Teching. Pummeling would require some additional sprites but would be very easy to code, Teching I explained above. We've had true DI since 0.6, IIRC, and definitely in 0.7. Knockback angles are different for different parts of most attacks. Shield works fine already. Not sure about Smash-DI. There's definitely traction in Crusade already. And the hitstun is high enough to allow for a lot of combos.
So really it's just Pummeling and Teching, which just need extra sprites.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Traction? I'm pretty sure there's no turn-around animation, edge-canceling, and wavedashing in Crusade. And knocked down on the ground animation isn't really proper either, people just bounce or stay in place while the hitstun stays in effect, the only attack they put people on the ground iirc is Snake's DThrow.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
In the interest of sparking some discussion here and to make sure everyone who doesn't make it onto the forum knows what's going on, here's the current character roster:

Character Roster as of 10/16/11

Parenthesis indicate game(s) represented, first appearance, or character's physical appearance. "No Specific Representation" indicates that the character does not represent any specific game or games, though that character may have appeared in games before.

Two hyphens represent characters that are completed.

Asterisks represent characters who are planned to be hidden within the game, that the player must unlock by completing a task.
Characters in orange are locked and will neither be removed nor replaced.
Sections in bold are locked, and no characters will be removed, replaced, or added from that series.

1. --Mario (Super Mario 64) [Alternate: Dr. Mario (Dr. Mario)]
2. --Luigi (Super Mario Bros. 2)
3. --Toad (Super Mario Bros. 2)
4. --Princess Peach (Super Mario 64)
5. Bowser (Super Mario 64)
6. Bowser Jr.* (Super Mario Sunshine)
7. --Waluigi (Mario Tennis)

8. --Yoshi (Yoshi’s Island)

9. --Wario (Wario Land)

13. Donkey Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
14. Diddy Kong/Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
15. King K. Rool* (Donkey Kong Country)

16. --Link (Zelda: Ocarina of Time)
17. --Young Link (Zelda: The Wind Waker)
18. Zelda / Sheik (Zelda: Ocarina of Time)
19. Ganondorf (Zelda: Ocarina of Time)

20. Tingle (Tingle Series)
21. Vaati* (Zelda: The Minish Cap)

22. Pokemon Trainer - Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard
23. --Pikachu (Pokemon Red and Blue) [Alternate: Pichu (Pokemon Gold and Silver)]
24. --Jigglypuff (Pokemon Red and Blue)
25. --Mewtwo (Pokemon Red and Blue)
26. --Lucario (Pokemon Diamond and Pearl)
27. Zoroark* (Pokemon Black and White)

28. --Samus Aran / Zero Suit Samus (Metroid)
29. Ridley (Super Metroid)

30. Dark Samus* (Metroid Prime series) OR Anthony Higgs* (Metroid Prime series) (Poll Soon)

31. --Kirby (Kirby’s Dream Land)
32. King Dedede (Kirby’s Dream Land)
33. --Meta Knight (Kirby’s Adventure)
34. --Gooey (Kirby’s Dream Land 2)
35. Bandana Dee* (Kirby Super Star)

36. --Fox McCloud (Star Fox)
37. Falco Lombardi (Star Fox)
38. --Krystal* (Star Fox Adventures)
39. Wolf O’Donnell (Star Fox 64)

40. --Captain Falcon (F-Zero GX)
41. Black Shadow* (F-Zero GX) OR Samurai Goroh* (F-Zero GX)

42. --Ness (Mother 2: Earthbound)
43. --Lucas (Mother 3)

44. Marth (Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon)
45. Roy (Fire Emblem: The Sword of Seal)
46. Ike (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance)

47. Pikmin/Olimar (Pikmin)

48. Little Mac (Punch-Out!!)

49. Pit (Kid Icarus: Uprising)

50. Ice Climbers (Ice Climber)

51. --Saki Amamiya (Sin and Punishment)

52. --Mach Rider* (Mach Rider)

53. Rayman* (Rayman)

54. Isaac (Golden Sun)

55. --Mr. Game & Watch (Game and Watch Gallery)

56. R.O.B. (Robot Series) [Alternate: The Ancient Minister (Super Smash Brothers Brawl)]

57. Duck Hunt Dog (Duck Hunt)

58. --Sonic the Hedgehog (Sonic the Hedgehog)
59 --Tails (Sonic the Hedgehog 2)
60. --Knuckles the Echidna (Sonic the Hedgehog 3)
61. Shadow the Hedgehog* (Shadow the Hedgehog)

62. --Mega Man (Mega Man)

64. --Ryu (Street Fighter IV)

65. Mike Haggar (Final Fight)

66. --Solid Snake (Metal Gear Solid)

67. Simon Belmont* (Castlevania)

68. Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)

70. Sir Arthur* (Ghosts ‘n’ Goblins)

71. --Bomberman* (Bomberman)

72. Chocobo (Final Fantasy)

73. Cless Albane (Tales of)

74. Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)

75. --Ristar (Ristar)

76. Earthworm Jim* (Earthworm Jim)

77. Banjo-Kazooie* (Banjo-Kazooie)

78. Bill Rizer* (Contra)

79. Pac Man* (Pac Man series)

80. --Goku (No Specific Representation)

(I'm aware the numbers are a bit messed up right now, it will be fully organized once it's finished.)

As you can probably tell, there's 5 fully open slots, and three characters completely up for debate: Sir Arthur, Earthworm Jim and Bill Rizer. Tingle may or may not be replaced by another Zelda series character.

Also, there's a poll between Samurai Goroh and Black Shadow for the final F-Zero rep and one between Anthony Higgs and Dark Samus for the final Metroid rep, as well as phase 1 of the Kirby DLC Representative poll (which means that we're deciding which characters should be on the poll).

Yup.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Hey, if you need new Announcer recordings for the game, (I'm the one that does it in the previous demos), just send me a message on Youtube with the info. My username's the same there as it is here and everywhere else.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
That'd be awesome! I was worried that we'd have to redo a bunch of announcer-related stuff later on, but I guess this solves it.

I'll probably have a list of the voiceclips we need and the priority of each clip finished by the time 0.8 comes out (we might need a few beforehand as well). For the time being, R.O.B. (and maybe DK if his hasn't been done) will need a CSS soundclip.

EDIT: The roster is now included in the OP, and it looks like I forgot to mention there's a possibility of a second Wario series rep.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
All the clips I've already recorded for the demos should be in the 'narration' folder of the game (0.7 demo for example), which includes game-related stuff and character names.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
There's now a section in the OP for gameplay videos! If you've recorded a video of the latest version of Crusade (0.7.1), link it here and I'll add it to the OP!

Top Bottom