• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Unity (Coming Soon...)

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
We are still working on Sonic, but we will take this into mind.
Personally, I want his look to be somewhat in between Classic and Modern. And the same will go for his moveset.
Eeeeh alright but I'd certainly prefer if he were weighted more in the classic direction.
Couple images for your consideration.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Eeeeh alright but I'd certainly prefer if he were weighted more in the classic direction.

I love this!
We are definitely going to take this into consideration! (And by that I mean we are probably going to do it, I just can't confirm anything yet).

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211

As the current spriter, those are the exact ideas I had in mind :laugh:. We'll see what the team says so far.

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
We are still working on Sonic, but we will take this into mind.Actually, it is not very hard to develop. We just create each color black as a separate object, and have certain characters have a different damage effect when colliding with their color block.
They don't even need to be different objects. Just have the block object store a variable that determines the color, and the character it's colliding with checks the block's variable.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I just wanted to tell everyone that we won't be announcing the last 3 newcomers until we have a trailer.
Which means we need more spriters.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Thanks. Other than Kirby, and Link's hair, this is really, really good!
Is this a Sonic stage?
Yes, it is the Death Egg.
I know Link's hair looks a bit weird now, but it look better when he is standing still and it will be waving.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Yes, it is the Death Egg.
I know Link's hair looks a bit weird now, but it look better when he is standing still and it will be waving.
What about Kirby? I don't mean any offence to the spriter, but that mouth...
Also, since you expressed wanting to redo movesets, could I make some suggestions for Kirby's? Or is it alreaady finalized?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
What about Kirby? I don't mean any offence to the spriter, but that mouth...
Also, since you expressed wanting to redo movesets, could I make some suggestions for Kirby's? Or is it alreaady finalized?
We already have a lot of ideas for Kirby, but feel free to suggest.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
We already have a lot of ideas for Kirby, but feel free to suggest.
Ok,
My big issue with SSB Kirby (besides my signature) is that his entire A moveset is made-up (other than his dash), and is just him kicking like a ballerina.
There are plenty of moves that can be taken from his actual attacks (though many are still kicks).
Some Examples:

F-Smash Force Blast (Fighter Kirby) Essentially Mega Man's F-Smash in 4, with multiple stages of power (Force Blast, Mega Force Blast, and Giga Force Blast)

F-Tilt Smash Punch (Fighter Kirby) This especially makes sense because Fighter Kirby works in a weak move/strong move system, and his jab is Nonstop Vulcan Punch, the weak companion to Smash Punch

D-tilt Slide Attack

Dair Pinpoint Kick (Suplex Kirby)

Fair The kick equivalent of Smash Punch (I forget what the name is)

F-Special (Midair) How it is in Melee

U-Special Make it actually look like the Cutter Blade (use a Super Star Ultra Sprite Rip for reference)

I have a Somewhat Crazy Idea:
Rather than having him only copy the NB of a character, have him copy the B that best represents that character (Link's would probably be UB, for example). Most abilities would stay, but stupib ones like Link's would change to a more appropriate move.

I also have an Absolutely Crazy Idea:
When he uses a move that is specific to a certain ability, make him have the hat of that ability (like Milky-way Wishes), and when he isn't, no hat or the hat of the character he is copying.

Also: Make Gooey playable at some point.

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I am posting this separately because it is completely unrelated, but:
Going character-by-character, there are only a few design issues/oddities:

Kirby has a ridiculous smile, unlike anything he has ever even been shown to be physically capable of. As a rule, Kirby's facial expression is blank in his idle stance, in every Kirby game, most spin-offs included.

Captain Falcon looks scrawny, especially his thighs. He also has Spiderman eyes. Just try trimming it a little.

Link is good, and the hair thing was addressed, but the shield gives the impression of being an upside-down teardrop shape. Which Link is this based on?

Mario is perfect. ggnore

I'm not saying any of them are bad. They aren't. I just figure you want to make it the best you can possibly make it. I also recognize that some of this may be intentional, hence "oddities."

Are the sprites just going to flip when they face the other way, or are there two different versions?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

Kirby has a ridiculous smile, unlike anything he has ever even been shown to be physically capable of. As a rule, Kirby's facial expression is blank in his idle stance, in every Kirby game, most spin-offs included.

Captain Falcon looks scrawny, especially his thighs. He also has Spiderman eyes. Just try trimming it a little.

Link is good, and the hair thing was addressed, but the shield gives the impression of being an upside-down teardrop shape. Which Link is this based on?

Mario is perfect. ggnore

I'm not saying any of them are bad. They aren't. I just figure you want to make it the best you can possibly make it. I also recognize that some of this may be intentional, hence "oddities."

Are the sprites just going to flip when they face the other way, or are there two different versions?
Most of the decisions are on purpose.
It's supposed to be a cool and cartoony style, so Captain Falcon is fine.

I do agree on Kirby's smile, we will fix that.

We are not sure what exact design Link is. He is kind of a general Link.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Most of the decisions are on purpose.
It's supposed to be a cool and cartoony style, so Captain Falcon is fine.

I do agree on Kirby's smile, we will fix that.

We are not sure what exact design Link is. He is kind of a general Link.
I would suggest adding some chain mail. It'll break-up the white, which really just looks like filler. Most Adult Links have it. Well, SS and TP do.
About CF, I get that it's a different style (the shading is awesome btw), but his legs really souldn't be straight lines. He doesn't need to be bulky, just a little bit of a bulge, a line-segment of pixels, would help.

What did you think of the Kirby moveset suggestions? "Taken into consideration?"

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
I have a few questions:
1. Will Porky Minch be included in the roster?
2. Will this game be available on Mac computers?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
And Gooey?
....maybe.
And I say that with less confidence than Porky.

Only because of this.
Crusade already has Gooey as a character. And I guess I never formally announced this before, but Affinity's main goal character wise is uniqueness. And while Gooey is unique, Crusade already used that.
Though we will have some similar characters than Crusade, since there are certain choices that are very popular among the Smash community, such as Little Mac while we announced for example.

Also, I just want to say that if anyone knows any spriters at all, please tell me. We want to start releasing versions of the game, but to do that we need full sprite sheets of characters, which we can't make without spriters. So please tell us if anyone knows any.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Crusade also did Porky.
The reason I ask for a Gooey is because he can be done so much better than how he was in Crusade.
He will be considered. ;)
But as for Porky, what makes him different as that he can be done is MANY different ways.
Spider-Mech, Bed-Mech, and even my & Giygas idea.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
He will be considered. ;)
But as for Porky, what makes him different as that he can be done is MANY different ways.
Spider-Mech, Bed-Mech, and even my & Giygas idea.
Not sure about Giygas, but Spider Mech sounds awesome.

I might know a guy who can do the art for stages. You'd need to add the boxes, but still.

Is the game going to be true to the pixelated style in terms of movement. That is to say, characters cannot move half-a-pixel, right?
I hate it when games do that.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Edit: If you wanted satic stages, I might know a guy who could draw them. You'd need to add hitboxes and so forth,

Not sure about Giygas, but Spider Mech sounds awesome.

I might know a guy who can do the art for stages. You'd need to add the boxes, but still.

Is the game going to be true to the pixelated style in terms of movement. That is to say, characters cannot move half-a-pixel, right?
I hate it when games do that.
What do you mean by satic stages?

Can you please tell me this guy's Smashboards/email/whatever?

Also, we will be staying true to pixelated style movements.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
What do you mean by satic stages?

Can you please tell me this guy's Smashboards/email/whatever?

Also, we will be staying true to pixelated style movements.
Sorry, wrote it in a hurry. I didn't even notice the quote freak-out.
I meant to say static.

Edit: Also, glad to hear about the artistic integrity.
There should be a Contra stage

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
I have a little experience with sprites, but not enough to be a spriter. I've recreated several sprites from games and ripped a few on the Spriters Resource, but not enough experience to make my own.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I have a little experience with sprites, but not enough to be a spriter. I've recreated several sprites from games and ripped a few on the Spriters Resource, but not enough experience to make my own.
Sorry, we are making completely original sprites, and not ripping.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Oh, OK. I was just thinking about that since Crusade had reused several sprites for certain characters.

I really hope Fawful is at least an AT in Affinity...
I am not confirming anything about assists OR Fawful yet. But all I'll say is that after you said you want him to be AT LEAST an assist, I have chortles.

When people are hoping or speculating characters, they seem to forget that I am making it.
I can put it whoever I want.
And my most wanted characters are in my sig.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I am not confirming anything about assists OR Fawful yet. But all I'll say is that after you said you want him to be AT LEAST an assist, I have chortles.

When people are hoping or speculating characters, they seem to forget that I am making it.
My Body is Ready for most of those.
Still needs Gooey

Edit: There should be a SmashBoards stage.
If there is, make sure there is a little green moped (probably getting violently dismantled by OverSwarm via aluminum baseball bat).

Edit 2: Give it a chance of being CrashBoards instead, with burning clouds in the sky and random tripping.

Edit 3: Another cameo could be a Pokemon DPP satge, that's just outside of the introductory town, and crawling with Bidoofs.

Last edited:

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman

That's why I said it. :awesome:

Also, where did you get that Porky model in your sig? Was it an edited Mecha-Porky from Brawl?

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Bidoof, you're revealing too much! Soon, ey'll know everything! Be mysterious, vague, like I.

Mario is perfect. ggnore

I will change Kirby's face, I'm not sure why I made him smile.

As Bidoof stated, Captain Falcon's designed to look like he popped out of a comic book. Ironically, the skinny thighs then seem more powerful in action than in still life.

Link was mostly based off Ocarina of Time, but I did add a bit of Twilight Princess into the mix. His shield looks flat at the moment, but I can fix that quickly. His hair looks better in action as well.

But otherwise, I'm doing fairly well designing characters. Most of the veterans are done by Bidoof, Louie G. and I, and we only have a few left to sprite before we begin work on a trailer. So, I'll see you guys later, I've got quite a bit of work to do!

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Bidoof, you're revealing too much! Soon, ey'll know everything! Be mysterious, vague, like I.

I will change Kirby's face, I'm not sure why I made him smile.

As Bidoof stated, Captain Falcon's designed to look like he popped out of a comic book. Ironically, the skinny thighs then seem more powerful in action than in still life.

Link was mostly based off Ocarina of Time, but I did add a bit of Twilight Princess into the mix. His shield looks flat at the moment, but I can fix that quickly. His hair looks better in action as well.

But otherwise, I'm doing fairly well designing characters. Most of the veterans are done by Bidoof, Louie G. and I, and we only have a few left to sprite before we begin work on a trailer. So, I'll see you guys later, I've got quite a bit of work to do!
Don't worry about my hinting of characters.
If we tell people that their favorite character may be in, they will say updated on the project and check on here to see if we revealed them.

Top Bottom