• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Stage Creation Contest (Complete)

KiwiK

Smash Rookie
Name of Stage:
Mirage Saloon Zone

Game of Origin:
Sonic Mania

(Main layout of the stage. Character renders shown for size approximation)

Red: Solid platform;
Blue: Passable platform;
Green: Directional path.

Description of Stage:
Mirage Saloon Zone is one of the handful of original zones in Sonic Mania and, in contrast to the currently two Green-themed Sonic levels across the Super Smash Bros. games, is instead a desert-themed zone.

The stage itself is composed of a central platform that curves downwards towards the center, thanks to a patch of sand that showers downwards, and two adjacent platforms with bars that vertically extend to the lower blast line. Also on the center, a bird statue hosts 3 passable platforms, two being its wings, and the last being its head. Large barrels are held on both ends of the stage, supported by a thin pole.

Gimmicks and Hazards of the Stage:
Gimmicks
Barrel
- The main gimmick of the stage. As mentioned earlier, they're held at both ends of the stage, with a pole adjacent to them. They function identically to how they did in Sonic Mania: if the character stays still on the barrel, they will slowly sink downwards as the barrel rotates. Once they are halfway down the barrel, which should take roughly half a second without any input, they will instantly fall through it. If they are below it, they can pass through the barrel and land, just like a passable platform. If a character is sinking but haven't fallen yet, a jump can get them out safely, and moving will make you slowly rise upwards. The barrels cannot be hanged on, but the top of the thin pole surrounding it can. The character will always fall through it at the same speed, regardless of their speed when they're launched directly towards it. The purpose of the barrels is mostly to make edge-guarding a more frenetic activity.

Piñata - A piñata balloon in the shape of a star. They are objects floating near the barrels, and will slowly move up and down from where they spawn, one moving on the opposite direction of the other. Like in Mania, a character making any contact with it will be immediatedly sent upwards a set distance. They will respawn 15 seconds after it last collided with something.

Hazards
Pistol
- A huge gun held by an equally big white glove, being supported by a pole that horizontally extends to the stage's blast lines. They have a rare chance to spawn on the stage, and a pistol will never spawn when another is already active, neither before 2 minutes after it was last active or after the battle starts. When they do spawn, they will appear from either blast line and move to the side of the stage, slightly below in level compared to its respective barrel, where it will stay in place. Like in Mania, there's an opened hatch at the top of the pistol, and any character that gets inside it are immediatedly trapped. When that happens, the hatch is covered after half a second, after which the hand begins to spin the gun and quickly rises upwards to a level compared to the bird statue. After it finishes moving, it will begin to automatically aim the pistol up and down, starting upwards.

Pressing any button that isn't directional (which won't influence the gun's aim) in this state will make the character inside to be shot at a straight line in a very fast speed and at a far set distance, and will damage any opposing characters on contact. The damage and knockback dealt is dependant on how far the characters are from the launched fighter: for example, if they are contacted at gunpoint, the launched character will get 20% damage, but in compensation, the affected characters will get 45% damage and very high knockback, almost guaranteed to be a KO unless teched. On the other hand, if they are contacted on the other end of the stage, the launched character will get 5% damage and medium-high knockback, and the affected character will get 15% damage and medium knockback.

If the gun is active and no characters went inside it after 10 seconds, it will close its hatch, move to its blast zone during the course of 2 seconds, and then disappear, after which it's no longer active. If the trapped character has not made any inputs in the last 5 seconds since the pistol has started aiming, it will cue the player by getting a slight red tint and vibrating itself after 4 seconds, which will intensify during the course of the last second. After this animation ends, it will launch the character by itself.

It is possible for more than one character to enter the gun in the half second before the hatch closes. If that happens, any non-directional input from any of the characters enclosed will launch them, and landing on another character or on the ground will deal any of them the same damage and knockback as any launched character, but cannot damage eachother while in a launched state.

The pistol launches characters at very high speeds and a far set distance, and as such not only is it tricky to use properly, but can be risky to use when aiming at something in midair, as they risk being KO'd (on the other hand, if more than one character is inside the pistol, it can act as a great alternative to "suicide" moves if one character has a stock advantage over the other, as the gun starts aiming upwards and any non-directional input from anyone results in everyone inside getting launched). Launched characters can also be affected by the piñata, thus making the risk of being KO'd higher as it can launch the player to the upper blast line.

Uber Catterkiller - The stage's boss. They're a massive catterkiller which can be seen roaming on the stage's background when they're not active. They're only guaranteed to act after 2 minutes have passed on the stage. When he's active, he'll roam closer to the foreground, where the sound of him burrowing through the ground will be audible, and act like he does as the boss of Sonic and Tails' Act 1 boss in Mania, launching towards where the piñata would spawn, either one of them, and will appear from behind or the front of the stage to jump to the other side, damaging any character that is hit by any part of its body, dealing 15% damage (they will also instantly pop the piñata as it comes into contact with it, but will otherwise not be affected). After doing so once, it will then be shown roaming underneath the ground in the background for around 5 seconds before doing so again on the opposite side of the stage. They will repeat this a total of 4 times before it's gone.

Also like Mania, they're defeated after being dealt 6 hits on their head, regardless of what damage it does, and within a half second time buffer that's individually counted per character, as to avoid abuse from multi-hitting attacks. Like in the origin game, this process be tricky due to the Uber Caterkiller only being damageable in a short amount of time while its head is level to the stage. After being defeated. the boss will have each of its body parts explode and will only spawn back after roughly 4 minutes, being completely absent from their background appearance when they're defeated. The character who deals the final blow will be rewarded a stock. After the boss is active again, their health is back to 6 regardless of being defeated or not.

The only exception regarding damage dealt to the Uber Caterkiller is if the attacker is a character launched from a pistol. Regardless of how much health the boss has, the boss will be instantly KO'd when in contact with a launched character, and a stock will be rewarded accordingly. However, if more than one character is shot from the gun and all hit the Caterkiller at the same time, a distinctive sound effect plays and all the launched characters ricochet away from the boss, dealing no damage to it. This also happens when more than one character attempts to hit them at the same time outside of the pistol.

Unlockable?:
Yes
. Complete Classic Mode on Medium difficulty or above as any representative of the Sonic series without continuing, or beat 7 Versus matches (number meant to reference the seven Chaos Emeralds) in a row with a set Sonic representative (if using CPU, only counts at difficulty level 5 or above).

Extra Stuff:
Under the stage, a "Wanted" poster depicting either Fang the Sniper, Bean the Dynamite or Bark the Polar Bear is shown. When the stage is loaded, the character shown is chosen at random each time the stage is selected.

Oil Ocean Zone makes an appearance on the far right of the background. This cameo is identical to Mania's, at the end of Act 2's Oil Ocean Zone transition cutscene.

The stage also has a day-night cycle, with each time's palette resembling their counterpart in Mania: morning, day (pictured), sunset and night. Time cycles after roughly 2 minutes, where it'll jump to the next time in the order mentioned earlier.

The stage's hazardless mode will, obviously, get rid of the hazards (pistol and Uber Caterkiller), and everything else is untouched. On its Battlefield form, the level's shape is straightened on top and its bottom is beaten into shape like other Battlefield/Omega stages, the gimmicks are rid of, along the thin poles surrounding the barrels, and the bird statue's wings are lowered to the same level and slightly enlarged, along with the head platform being lowered slightly. Its Omega form is identical to its Battlefield form, but the bird statue, along with its adjacent wing platforms, are rid of.

The music are the three main songs that play during Sonic Mania throughout the zone. Preferably, they may also possibly be part of a whole medley, and if not, only the first music track listed may play. It can be composed of either the original music or remixes, but as other Sonic stages' main music follow the trend of not being remixes, the original music would be more reasonable to include.

The main music tracks for the stage are:
Of course, any music from the Sonic series may optionally play as well.

Last edited:

apaulieg

Smash Rookie
Hell of a first post, man. Great stage, and welcome to the site!
Interesting take on a traveling stage, seems like a really unique concept! Also welcome to the Boards!
Personally I felt like Tropical Resort from Sonic would've been the perfect stage for Smash.
Thank you! I haven't been a member of a forum since... maybe... 2008? It's weird and nice to be back in one, since they were a major part of my gaming identity/actions as a pre-teen and teen. Chao were ALSO a major part of my identity and time-spending in that time. I would love to see them in the game as a stage (unlikely) or an assist trophy (also unlikely?) or even just a regular trophy.

I'm still figuring out how to forum again though. I don't know if quoting you guys will make my post super long or if it's typical to quote multiple people. Regardless. Thank you all the same :-) I added more music to the post, too! And after the direct (IN SIX MINUTES!), I'll add "Alignments" for the remaining fighters.

Last edited:

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
So I might be a bit late on grading this week on account of the latest direct proving to me that god is dead

.../s, grades will be on time as usual. But I'm seriously underwhelmed by that direct. We didn't even get Stage Builder back...

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
So I might be a bit late on grading this week on account of the latest direct proving to me that god is dead

.../s, grades will be on time as usual. But I'm seriously underwhelmed by that direct. We didn't even get Stage Builder back...
It's okay life is pain

I'd have been 100% down with this roster, but the Grinch hyped me up so much.

Seriously though how much effort was needed to make this fake leak? Is it just guerrilla marketing for the Grinch Movie?

Still hoping for Banjo to be DLC though. I still got Ivy so I'm happy anyway

GolisoPower

Smash Master
With everything we have now, I'd say the game is gonna be great. The Fighter Pass is something to look forward to, a character people didn't want (Incineroar) actually looks great and we finally got our first Story Mode since Brawl. For me, anything else they have at this point is icing on the cake.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
My Bingo Card didn't do well

I had the right idea for a Street Fighter character as an Assist, I just picked the wrong one. Or, should I say, Sakurai did.

Realtalk though WHAT is Robin's new final smash

FinalUltimateBingoRIP.png

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
My Bingo Card didn't do well

I had the right idea for a Street Fighter character as an Assist, I just picked the wrong one. Or, should I say, Sakurai did.

Realtalk though WHAT is Robin's new final smash

View attachment 174545
Neither did mine unfortunately.

But I'm not really as disappointed as I thought I'd be. Honestly, the only thing I'm really sad about is Stage Builder not returning. Maybe it has to do with the sheer number of stages included this time, but it still would've been nice to at least have the feature anyway.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Alright guys, Round 38 is now closed. See you tomorrow with the grades for it.

D

Deleted member

I was going to skip it as the concept I was planning was mentioned by ShadowTheHedgehogZ so I felt a bit bummed - but a bit of a crazy idea struck me, so here we go anyway!

Featured in both Gamecube Pokémon games, Colosseum and XD, is Mt. Battle, my entry for the round.

View attachment 155220
Each of these logos features the series icon in some way, have you noticed?

View attachment 155222
Just like in the source games, you'll duke it out a large, circular platform floating around a large volcano.
As seen above, the stage features a single smaller platform hovering above the main platform. That's it. Nothing else. No hazards. The main focus is battling, it isn't called Mount Battle for nothing!

"But...", I hear you think, "that's a bit of a dull entry, isn't it?"

What if I tell you that this stage is indeed the blandest one I made thus far - but also the one that may just be the most bat**** insane?
Why? Because the following three are also possible stages for you to fight on.

I can hear your mental gears spin. No, it's not random. Instead, it makes perfect sense. Why? Well... let's take a closer look at the first image.

View attachment 155224
Yes, Mount Battle changes its layout based on your foe!​

Pokémon battles are different as each trainer has slightly different Pokémon - so why not make these battles different by slightly change the conditions, too? I mean, we're not quite close to 100 fighters just yet (so a true 100 battle challenge isn't possible just yet), but at 65+ fighters (not counting Echoes and Pokémon Trainer as 3 individual characters), we're getting close. But how on earth could be get so many different lay-outs? I found the answer in binary. I've made stages for 75 fighters, which I feel should be enough for Ultimate.

View attachment 155229

Yes, you're seeing that right: there's even additional lay-outs for Omega mode and Battlefield mode! That's 77 versions!

This stage is my loveletter to both Smash and the GCN Pokémon games. So why end there? In the source games, the backdrop changes as you climb the volcano. You start off in a rocky area, through a rugged, firey wall, up into the sky until you make it to the heart of the volcano. Likewise, in this stage the background changes as you traverse Smash games. Which means:

Smash 64 = Mountain
Melee = Fiey rock wall
Brawl = Mountain peaks
Smash 4 Base = Clouds
Smash 4 DLC = Mountain
Ultimate = Volcano

View attachment 155226

Music
Mt. Battle - Pokémon Colosseum / XD
Semifinal Battle - Pokémon Colosseum
Boss Battle - Pokémon XD
Miror B. Battle - Pokémon XD
Final Battle - Pokémon Battle Revolution
The Under - Pokémon Colosseum
Battle Royale - Pokémon Rumble

Notes
- Unlockable by winning 100 matches
- The stages takes the form of the last character, which should give TO's some more flexibility, too!
- At the top of the stage, Ho-oh or Shadow Lugia may fly past
- Echoes get the same stage as their base
- Currently fit for 75 characters, but could easily be expanded upon
- In stages 32-63, even number have a moving middle platform for balance's sake: some characters might have issues reaching the higher platforms
- Stages 72-75 break the binary set for the stages past 64 and are instead 64-67 flipped horizontally. We might've gotten get some really odd lay-outs otherwise
- Some stages, like 3 and 10, might appear identical, but have different platform heights
- The slightly different platform layouts is referenced in the stage logo above both T's
- It was super rough to find source material - especially since my computer has some issues that stops me from looking at YouTube videos
Hey there splat. I'm digging up something from the past with this, but occasionally I look through the pasts submissions for funsies and I had a quick question about your entry to the Gamecube round here. It seems as though you say that Pokemon Trainer is counted as one character here yet the fighter numbers of 33, 34, and 35 all have a different layout and those are the individual numbers of Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard respectively.

So how exactly was this supposed to work? Do each of the trainer's Pokemon have their own layouts or what?

D

Deleted member

Time for Round 38 grades!

psb123's grades:

Space Colony ARK by Kevandre Kevandre

Iconic Status: 5/5

Regardless of whether or not you're in the camp that Sonic Adventure 2 is a classic or the camp that it hasn't aged well it is still one of the most memorable Sonic games out there. And the Space Colony ARK is a HUGE focus of it's story and where most of the games levels take place.

Originality: 9/10

Not exactly worth a 10 but pretty close. I think the similarities to Shadow Moses Island were your main Achilles Heel here. But it's a pretty minor thing all in all and those suction doors are pretty creative.

Playability: 7/10

I'm glad you mentioned Shadow Moses Island in your post because being reminded of that saved you some points here. Normally I'm against stages that are locked to only the top blast zone but Shadow Moses did the concept right in two ways. The first being a low enough ceiling to where knocking people out from the top is doable enough. And the second is that you can destroy the walls on the sides to open up those blast zones.

The first of these two elements is present here in full force. But the second has some problems. You can open the doors to suck people out sure, but it's not as reliable. It could backfire on you if it opens the door you're next to or a brawl could be happening near a door as it opens which might leave you in a state where you're unable to escape.

Overall Score: 21/25

Radical Highway by TKOWL TKOWL

I already mentioned with the last stage how iconic Sonic Adventure 2 is. This stage may not take place on the ARK, but it's still one of SA2's most recognizable locations. Enough to be a stage in Sonic Generations for one thing! Though............only in the 3DS version.

Originality: 10/10

It's a simple stage. But that's what it aims to be and I have no problem with simple stages that do something different with their layout. And with all of those background elements pulled straight from the source game how could I not score it a 10?

Playability: 10/10

Like I said, simple layout. And the only thing that could cause some concern are the rising pillars and honestly I don't think they're enough of an issue to take off points for. Might interfere with a few recovery attempts. But it seems pretty manageable all in all.

Overall Score: 25/25

Casino Night Zone by GolisoPower GolisoPower

The Sonic series loves it's Casino Levels and Casino Night is the most famous of them all.

I don't think one can argue with how much this stage pulls from the source material. So many faithful elements and the only stage in Ultimate that has the coin-esque collectible function into how the stage plays is Golden Plains. There's room for another one if you ask me.

Playability: 1/10

Sadly there are a lot of problems with this stage. First of all the cage takes too long to appear which limits the usability of the stages main gimmick. Though I suppose that point could be a double-edged sword since it leaves you invulnerable for at least a fair chunk of time. Other than the Eggman icons of course. Depending on how many rings you have that could lead to a decent bit of damage. But that's the nature of the gamble so it doesn't seem that bad to me.

But the biggest problem overall is the layout. Too big, too much space with makes it hard to get to ground to fight on, too little ground to fight on in the first place, and the bumpers scattered about will bounce you all over the place. Sorry man, but this stage just isn't functional.

Overall Score: 16/25

Marble Zone by Primid Primid

Iconic Status: 4/5

It's Sonic's 2nd level ever so it's bound to be memorable. But it still doesn't stack up to green hill zone and apparently it's not one of the more favored levels in Sonic 1.

Originality: 5/10

It's got some faithfulness to the source material. I'll give you that. But it does remind me a lot of something I saw (and did) way too much with the stage builder back in Brawl. It tries too hard to cram in too many hazards while at the same time having a complete safe spot that everyone will just flock too because of the dangers of the other areas. Design wise, this stage needs some work.

Playability: 3/10

Now as I said, the top part is a complete safe zone where a comfortable fight could take place. But everywhere else leads to lots of obstacles that almost make it impossible to fight in that area. The spikes and lava will rack you up to 100% too quickly which will lead to an instant KO from touching the lava.

The top part is playable. But there is a definite problem when you have to avoid most of the stage to have a comfortable fight.

Overall Score: 12/25

Rooftop Run by Good Guy Giygas Good Guy Giygas

Sonic Unleashed is one of Sonic's most recognizable games. Not always for positive reasons thanks to the Werehog but Rooftop Run has become an icon of Modern Sonic Levels.

Nice, simple, and faithful to the source material. The grind rails are implemented in a way that doesn't need to introduce a grinding mechanic to the gameplay and day to night transitions are a well done staple for a stage from this game.

Playability: 9/10

It takes too long to transition between day and night (really should be 30 seconds between transitions) and I guess the slipperyness of the grind rails could lead to some trouble if you're knocked into them by an attack. But it still works out pretty well.

Overall Score: 24/25

Chao World by A apaulieg

For starters, welcome to the contest! Sorry it's so close to being over but I hope we see more of your work in what we have left!

People loved the Chao Garden in Sonic Adventure 2. Just look at how much people say they should bring it back! There are even those out there who spend more time here than in the games actual levels. Hey Sega, when Chao Garden Mobile App?

We've seen some very creative gimmicks in entries to this contest but what makes me such a huge fan of this one is how well it works with Ultimate's new pattern of picking a stage first, and then a character. If this stage gets selected, you can then pick a character who falls in the category of your preferred garden! In general this stage has got quite the unique way of battling for control over the layout. Rather intriguing.

Playability: 8/10

The only issue I have with any of the layouts is the cage in the Dark Garden. I think that should have just been a background element. The bigger issue though that goes for all layouts are the Chao Eggs. I'm fine with hatching five of them to return to the chao lobby. That part I would argue actually adds to the stages strength of battling for control of where you're fighting. But they shouldn't be able to give you extra stocks.

Overall Score: 23/25

Mirage Saloon Zone by KiwiK KiwiK

Like I said with Apaulieg, welcome to the contest! Here's hoping we see more of what you can make in the rounds we have left.

I still need to play Mania :( But this is one of the Mania original levels and Maina itself is very memorable. Seems worth a 5 to me.

There's a lot to like about this stage! So many unique elements we've never seen in a Smash stage before that are so, so faithful to the source material. Very well done. Nice job.

This is probably the most impressive part of the stage to me. The Gun and the Uber Catterkiller are the kinds of hazards that could easily reduce playability scores, but you implemented in ways that prevent them from doing so. The Gun is the kind of thing that you can either avoid, try to force an opponent into, or take a gamble to do a lot of damage to an opponent. It's all in the player's choice which prevents it from losing points.

As for the Catterkiller, it can only ever take up the parts of the stage where the barrels are because that's the only place the piñata's can ever be. Which leaves the main arena of the stage as a complete safe zone. With all of that in mind, my only gripe is that the gun and catterkiller take too long to appear. Not until after 2 minutes? You wouldn't even get to see them in a standard time battle.

Cosmic77's grades:

"Space Colony ARK" by Kevandre:

It's an important part of a memorable Sonic game. Wouldn't have been the first stage I would've picked, but this is still a good choice regardless.

Love the implementation of the doors. Suits the setting of the stage perfectly, and it creates a really strange gambling tactic for the players. Do you press the button and risk KOing yourself for a chance to KO someone else and take back the lead?

Playability: 5/10

Aside from the doors for obvious reasons, I'm not really a fan of the Shadow Moses Island layout. The walls can essentially keep someone in the game indefinitely until someone is lucky enough to launch them upward. I can see players camping at the bottom because of this.

Overall Score: 19/25

"Radical Highway" by TKOWL:

Now this is a stage I'd definitely want to see represent Sonic Adventure 2. Looks and feels like a real Sonic stage, and it's extremely memorable.

Excellent work with the visuals. Even though your stage is relatively simple, the background looks gorgeous. You really put a lot of attention to small details. The blimp, the neon signs, the car lights - all very good elements that help your stage stand out from the existing Smash stages.

I'm almost a little sad this isn't in Ultimate.

I ALMOST gave you a perfect score. I'm just concerned that the moving platforms will make it harder for certain characters to recover, which you coincidentally demonstrated in your picture with Little Mac hanging on the ledge.

"Casino Night Zone" by GolisoPower:

Love those Casino levels, and this one started it all. Very memorable and a surefire classic for Sonic fans.

The pinball idea has been used before in this contest, but you did a fairly decent job making yours stand out. The bumpers and flippers add a lot of randomness to the stage, so it's practically guaranteed that every match will be different from the last. I also love the implementation of that slot machine. Not sure if luck will be in my favor, but it's still fun.

Playability: 4/10

The idea of a pinball stage being in Smash sounds fun, but I know it'd be an absolute nightmare if it ever became a reality. Your stage really shows why.

For starters, that cage encourages camping. People at high percentages have nothing to lose by constantly jumping in the cage and hitting the slots. Second, I think this stage relies a little too much on the slots and pure luck. So much in fact that I could see people completely forgetting about fighting and trying to win the slots instead.

Overall Score: 18/25

"Marble Zone" by Primid:

I know it's the original Sonic and all, but I don't think this is nearly as memorable as some of the other stages from this game. Then again, I really don't want a third Green Hill-like stage in Smash.

Originality: 6/10

Now I do think the layout is unique, and I'm a huge fan of larger stages.

I just...feel like your stage is lacking creativity. There's not much here that ties in with Sonic, and it doesn't have many exciting elements or interesting details here that would make you want to play on this stage over something like TGCO to Hyrule Temple.

The lower half of this stage looks like a crowded mess of platforms and hazards. The total lack of room makes me think the real battle will be trying to avoid bouncing into the lava and dying. Not to mention the fact that it's literally impossible to KO someone the natural way unless they somehow get knocked into that pit.

So yeah. Your stage has basically every problem that TGCO has.

Overall Score: 13/25

"Rooftop Run" by GoodGuyGiygas:

Unleashed isn't the most memorable Sonic game out there, but it's still pretty good. At the very least, Rooftop Run is a stage most Sonic fans would be familiar with.

Originality: 8/10

Not bad. Layout is interesting, the slippery rails add a little spice to matches, and the switch between night and day is nice reference to the original game. Just wish you would've been more descriptive with your stage. Things like the howl really add personality to stages, and I feel like this would've been a lot better if you added some background characters.

Not much to say besides the slippery rails possibly causing players to slip into attacks. Other than that, looks good.

"Chaos World" by apaulieg:

Looks like we got a new face. Welcome to the contest!

Anyways, the game itself is memorable, but this particular area can't stand up against the other more iconic stages available. Just doesn't feel like something that would immediately come to mind if someone asked me to talk about SA2.

Originality: 7/10

I had to read your description a few times, but I think I got it.

Seems like an interesting concept for a stage. Transporting characters to different gardens depending on whether or not they're considered good or bad. The only thing I'm not very fond of is the layouts. The Chao Garden is honestly the only creative layout available in this stage.

It's similar to what I told GolisoPower. Feels like the match could drift away from fighting to collecting Chao Eggs. The winner of this match could be decided just by whoever is fast enough to reach the eggs before everyone else.

"Mirage Saloon Zone" by KiwiK:

Two new faces in one round. Welcome to the contest! A shame you couldn't have joined earlier so we could see more of your stages.

Yes, well, moving on. Your stage just so happens to be from Sonic Mania, so right off the bat you have relevancy in your favor. It's also very memorable IMO, so I'd say a perfect score is certainly deserved here.

One thing that I love more than anything else is when contestants try to make their stages as close to the game of origin as possible, and you've accomplished just that. The amount of references you included is wonderful, and it feels like a true homage to Mania.

I also love the layout itself. Very unique and very original. Definitely a stage I'd play on more than twice.

Playability: 6/10

As much as I loved your stage, I've gotta be fair. The stage's boss really interferes with what was already a fantastic stage. It gets in the way more often than it should, and defeating it requires a lot of teamwork between players who may not be willing to work together.

Honestly, I would've left the boss out entirely.

TheMarioAddict's grades:

Alright, I think I've recovered from my post-direct depression. Still bummed at the loss of Stage Builder (can you imagine? Someone in this thread, upset that stage builder is gone? Crazy), but I'm good enough to grade some stages, so let's do it!

"Space Colony ARK" by Kevandre:

I never really considered Space Colony ARK for potential Sonic stages, but looking at it now it makes perfect sense. It’s a pretty darn important area from a very beloved game, and unlike City Escape it’s actually relevant to the story, not to mention it harkens back to Space Stations from classic sonic games (Death Egg, anyone?). Plus I think the vaguely Eggman-Faced design of the station should be enough for non-fans to get the picture.

Those vacuum doors are one of the most original ideas I’ve yet seen in a Smash stage, and make perfect sense for the environment they’re in. The platform layout is pretty nice too. It leans just a bit too far into the Shadow Moses inspiration for my tastes, but the moving platform helps set it apart a bit more. We’ve also gotten a couple outer-space stages already (hello, Star Fox), but it’s certainly a new idea for the Sonic stages. Overall, very nice!

Obviously the instant-death doors have me concerned, but I actually don’t think they’d be all that campable. For one, if the switch activates the door it’s right next to, then camping isn’t possible, because you’d die along with your opponent (barring range shenanigans). And if the switch activates some other door, then… well, the camping would only work if your opponent moves to the affected door, something you don’t have as much control over. That said, it is still an instant kill, and with a pretty generous area of effect, so it’s enough to lose you a couple points. There’s also walls, but it seems like every wall that you could combo someone into is also a door, so they may not be too bad in this stage.

Overall Score: 22/25

"Radical Highway" by TKOWL:

This is basically Shadow’s City Escape. People love Radical Highway for all the reasons they love City Escape, and although the latter is probably more beloved, there’s no problems with this stage either. A solid pick.

This is an amazing example of a stage that doesn’t need hazards to be unique. The platform layout doesn’t have too much going on, but the asymmetry and the moving pillars give it the edge it needs to feel distinct from other two-platform stages. The aesthetics are great - I especially love how you incorporated the construction stuff into the elevated platforms, and little details like the shattering light give the stage an extra shot of charm. Plus, it’s not Green Hill Zone! So you’re very deserving of a 10 here!

Playability: 10/10

I had a few concerns on first glance, but both are pretty easily solved by way of the moving pillars. The first is the height of the right platform - it seems a bit high, but the right-hand pillar goes up high enough that it provides a nice intermediary stop to reach it. The second is the walls the pillars create, but again, by the nature of moving platforms, those walls won’t be around long enough to be too heavily abused. Beyond that, I’ve got no problems with the layout, so nice job!

Overall Score: 25/25

...huh. If I’m not mistaken, I believe that’s the very first perfect score I’ve ever given out. Congrats, TKOWL - this stage certainly earned it!

"Casino Night Zone" by GolisoPower:

Casino levels are a staple of classic Sonic, and Casino Night Zone is definitely the most notable of them all! An excellent, very recognizable location from Sonic history, to be sure!

The whole pinball thing has never really been done in Smash before, unless you count the bumper item (I don’t). And you’ve gone and thrown in just about as much pinball stuff as you could, from the bumpers to the… ball launcher, I guess it’s called? And most notably, that includes the ring lottery thing, which is probably the single best choice of gimmick to represent the Casino zones from Sonic. It’s really creative, without a doubt!

...which makes it a tragedy that this stage would be a mess to play on. Not just because of the platform layout, which has an insanely campy platform in the upper right and frustrating bumper placement galore, but also because of the ring gambling mechanic. Not only is the ability to gain extra stocks mid match really really broken and - in my opinion - never a good idea for a stage mechanic, but the possibility of triple Eggman… let me put it this way. If you got to 99 rings and hopped in the lottery thing, you’ll either leave with an extra stock, or you’ll take nearly 50% damage. That’s insane. Sorry Goliso, but with a hand like that, you’d be better off folding.

Overall Score: 18/25

"Marble Zone" by Primid:

Sonic 1 is a toughie - everyone knows Green Hill Zone, for sure, but the other stages don’t reach nearly the same level of notability. Still, Marble Zone is probably the best pick from that game, and - despite what kevandre says - is a personal favorite of mine, as well. So it’s definitely up there in terms of iconicness, but it’s certainly not the top.

Originality: 7/10

Now there’s a lot I like about this stage. The aesthetic is nice, the platform layout is unique, and it’s got a different feel from most other big stages. But notice that I said “most”, because that’s where my one problem comes in - this stage doesn’t really offer anything that Great Cave Offensive doesn’t give us already. Big stage? Check. Instant kill lava? Check. Decently normal and playable above ground section? Check. Dangerous, lava-filled tunnel underground? Check, check, check. Doing something to help the two feel more distinct would have gone a long way here.

Playability: 4/10

Big stages will always lose a couple points from me, but this stage has some further playability problems that hurt your score. For one, navigation looks like a pain - from your picture, just look at the route Bowser Jr. would have to take if he wanted to reach Mario. A second entrance to the underground would have helped there. Point two - the lava is frustrating in Great Cave Offensive, and it’ll be just as frustrating here, if not moreso. And then of course the dropping spike platforms, which I could see just… just ruining someone’s day. Chaotic stuff like that can be fun, sure, but it doesn’t do playability that many favors.

Overall Score: 15/25

"Rooftop Run" by Good Guy Giygas:

I’m offended that you didn’t include the Generations versions of the Rooftop Run song as music tracks on this stage. See me after class.

So I never played Sonic Unleashed (well… ok, I played a bit of the Wii version), but I agree that Rooftop Run has seemed to earn a place as an iconic modern Sonic level, even beyond just earning a spot in Generations. I don’t know that I can say much more than that, really - it’s good.

This is another example of a stage that does a lot with a little. You’ve packed pretty much all the important elements from Sonic Unleashed into this one stage, and that’s more than can be said of many other stages. The Day/Night switch is very well done and appropriate, I like how the feel of the stage changes to match the time. Plus the rooftops of Spagonia make a nice change of pace from the Green Hills currently found in Smash.

Now I don’t really have any issues with the layout of the stage or the mechanics or anything like that. My main problem (as is often my problem with transforming stages) is the timeframe. A minute between forms is way way way too long. Cut back to like, 30 seconds at the most. Beyond that (and passable daytime walkoffs, I guess), it’s perfectly fine.

"Chao World" by apaulieg:

It upsets me that Mario is considered to be “Neutral” while the Ice Climbers are considered “Heroes”. Not enough to affect your grades, but… just on a deep and personal level.

...oh, and welcome to the stage contest!

Iconic Status: 3/5

I never played Sonic Adventure 2. Not the main story, anyways - my friend owned a copy of the game, and whenever I was over, he let me play around in the Chao Garden. So this stage has a warm place in my heart. Sadly, though, I don’t think it’s all that notable a location from Sonic, and so I’m cutting back on your points. I love these weird alien gardens, but sadly I must be impartial in my grades.

Originality: 8/10

There’s a ton of interesting things you’ve got going on in this stage - even just activation the stage’s transformation is done in a pretty unique way! But then on top of that, you’ve got a mechanic with raising Chao, and a neat little cage in the Dark Garden… it’s all so clever that it’s almost enough to overlook the fairly bland and uninspired platform layouts! ...almost.

The biggest thing hurting you in playability has to be the Chao Eggs. Not only do they encourage players to stop fighting and go collect items, but they can reward extra stocks, which - as I said to GolisoPower - is never a good idea. The cage too, for as creative as it is, seems pretty darn abusable. Aside from that, the stage is fine I think, though I worry about the stage getting effectively “stuck” in an unfun phase for a while.

"Mirage Saloon Zone" by KiwiK:

A welcome to you as well! Enjoy your time here, and don’t be afraid - I don’t bite. Unless you commit a grievous sin in your stage-making, in which case I won’t hesitate to tear it to shreds… have fun!

Mirage Saloon is definitely one of the most notable zones from Sonic Mania, so I’d say this is right up there in terms of iconicness! Personally, I’d have gone with Studiopolis, but I think I’m a minority there. Either way, nice pick!

I really, really love this stage. It’s got a simple layout with simple gimmicks, and yet it feels way more special and interesting than any other stage in Smash. From the barrels (which use a mechanic I’m stunned isn’t already in a Smash stage) to the piñatas to the gun… this feels like something Sakurai himself would make.

Oh, and it’s not a Green Hill. So that’s a plus.

Playability: 7/10

This one tears me up, because you were so close to getting a second 25/25 from me. But unfortunately for both of us, you went and added the Uber Caterkiller, and I cannot let that go unpunished. You know how everyone really likes the Wily Castle stage’s gimmicks, but then the Yellow Devil shows up and spoils the fun? You’ve done the same thing with Uber Caterkiller. As soon as he shows up, everyone has to stop having fun and go kill the boss, which is made more difficult by the fact that Uber Caterkiller was one of the most frustrating bosses in Mania (to me, at least), and you’ve basically ported him over wholesale. I like that you can instant KO him with the gun, but… you’d have been better off leaving Caterkiller away, because the rest of the stage is fine. It’s just the boss that hurts you.

Total Scores:

Kevandre: 62 points

TKOWL: 74 points

GolisoPower: 52 points

Primid: 40 points

Good Guy Giygas: 67 points

apaulieg: 55 points

KiwiK: 67 points

The Winner Is..............
Radical Highway by TKOWL

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Another win at the hands of TKOWL TKOWL for Radical Highway, congrats!

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go and research a Metroid stage to use for the next round.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Congrats TKOWL TKOWL ! Overall, lots of "radical" submissions for this round.

On a side note, you'd think I'd learn that 1 minute is way too long for stage transitions by now, but alas, I have not. :p

Last edited:

Primid

Smash Apprentice
Congrats to TKOWL for knocking it out of the park yet again!

Hopefully I can cook up something real good for the next round to make up for my abysmal scores in this round. :laugh:

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Well deserved!

On a side note, I finally made my Star Fox stage... So now I've made all the stages. :(

KiwiK

Smash Rookie
Oh man, I'm surprised it's my first time doing any sort of forum contest of this sort and I'm in 2nd place! 'Grats to the winner.

I admit I took a gamble with the stage regarding hazards. The actual zone doesn't have a whole lot of hazards that don't interfere gameplay to the point where it could lower the score by the standards of the contest. The ones which are OK are already covered by what I put as gimmicks. I was also afraid the sheer number of lesser hazards from the zone could subtract the score if I put them in. For example, I once envisioned the normal catterkiller enemies in Mania which would circle the statue, which would appear every so often as a hazard; but since I wanted to keep a symmetrical number of hazards and gimmicks, I couldn't think of any other gimmick to add besides the two I already invested in. For example, I had no good idea of what to do with the Egg Seltzier bottles or the piano pads. For the earlier, I thought about making them a 50/50 chance of appearing in place of the gun, and would make a temporary platform that stretches from their blast zone to the stage's side for a couple of seconds, but since most people here hate walk-offs, I tried to avoid that. For the latter, I thought of putting them on the walls bellow the barrels, but that would make recovering more tricky than it already is.

As for the main hazard, the Gun launcher is the most iconic of the zone, so I had to include it in some form, and I also wanted it to interact with the boss in some way, and all of them are equally as memorable as the gun. Problem is, I had to pick between 3 different bosses. The Heavy Magician made sense, since the level is based on Act 2, and his character transformations could lead to some interesting mechanics, but since the main thing about the gun, due to how rare it is, is that it instakills the boss unless more than two people are in (I wanted to make a better excuse than "port priority"). The Heavy Magician would be much harder to aim at, let alone hit, than any of the Catterkillers, even if they transformed into some of the bigger characters like Bark, making the instant kill gimmick basically irrelevant (this does apply to normal characters as well, but I thought just having one possible hard target at minimum would be sufficient. I also considered that, since the stage wouldn't be very legal anyway, that it would be great for matches with more than 2 players, where it'd be much easier to hit someone with the gun). Also considering you have 5 seconds to land a hit, that would be near impossible and would possibly degrade my score.

This left me with one of the Catterkillers. I considered Knuckles' Act 1 version, where it stands on the stage and shoots its body-ball-things at you. Problem is, since the boss is quite big, more so vertically, he would take precious real estate from the stage's sides (which are already mostly covered with the large barrels), and I didn't wish to make the fight unfair for anyone who happened to be on the wrong side of the stage at the wrong time when it spawned and have barely any footing to fight the boss. This only left me with Sonic and Tails' Catterkiller, and I had to roll with that since I only had a limited time to work on the stage (I already spent enough on just the layout), and the contest would end in around a day after I wrote up everything.

With all of that in mind, my only gripe is that the gun and catterkiller take too long to appear. Not until after 2 minutes? You wouldn't even get to see them in a standard time battle.
That's my fault. I haven't played any Smash games in a good while, so I also had to take a gamble into how long they took to appear, but also had to balance it to not make an OP hazard or boss be available in like a minute, so I settled for that.

It gets in the way more often than it should, and defeating it requires a lot of teamwork between players who may not be willing to work together.
As soon as he shows up, everyone has to stop having fun and go kill the boss, which is made more difficult by the fact that Uber Caterkiller was one of the most frustrating bosses in Mania (to me, at least), and you’ve basically ported him over wholesale.
I tried my best to make the boss as optional as possible, since it never aims for the player in general and is gone after half a minute. You're only meant to get out of your way to defeat them if you need that stock reward.

As for the Catterkiller, it can only ever take up the parts of the stage where the barrels are because that's the only place the piñata's can ever be. Which leaves the main arena of the stage as a complete safe zone.
I decided it should aim for the piñatas since these make them more remarkable than they would already be, but I honestly never thought about it aiming for the top. And obviously I didn't want a piñata right on top if I didn't want to make the top blast zone way too high and possibly risk the idea of them being a hazard for top blast zone kills all for naught. I could've used Knuckles' version of the Catterkiller to solve the issue of safety around the platforms, but the boss itself already raises enough problems that I already underlined on this post.

I also thought of the possibility of making the statue sink in the sand whenever the boss was active, and make it rise up again when that was done, but I feared the stage could be perceived as too busy, and I didn't want the boss to have too much influence on the stage, since I already struck such a good balance with gimmicks that only complement it.

What left me to do was make the stage itself as presentable as possible so that the hazards didn't take a huge bite off of my score, since I already guessed that would be what would make or break the stage. Guess it paid off in the end, since I got perfect scores from all judges on that. Phew.

TKOWL

Smash Apprentice
Wow, an almost perfect score, thank you so much!!! This was one of my favorite submissions for the contests, very proud at how it turned out.

D

Deleted member

Time for Round 39!

Winning the Poll at 6 votes, Round 39 is.....................

Metroid 2

The 2nd go for the home series of Samus Aran. Got to admit, there's really not a lot in terms of what isn't allowed for this round. Metroid doesn't have any crazy sub-series or garbage CD-i games or anything like that. Even Metroid Other M is allowed, much as talking about a stage from there might burn your tongue's.

Speaking of burning, fair warning. Like with Green Hill stages last round, this round has a risky type of level when it comes to originality scores. Those being Lava levels. Frigate Orpheon is the only Metroid stage throughout all of Smash Bros. to not be a lava level. So utilizing one for your submission this round has a VERY high risk of lowering your originality score.

And with that, on November 5th 2018, Round 39 has begun. You have until Friday, November 9th, at about 11:00pm Pacific Time to submit entries.

Good Luck!

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Wrecked Ship

(Super Metroid)

I’ve mentioned before that I haven’t played a TON of Metroid stuff, but I’ve made a few stages for the series in the past. I’m generally of the opinion that almost all of the best Metroid-potential stages already exist, with basically three Brinstar stages, a Norfair one, and a couple others. From the best game in the series, Super Metroid, that doesn’t leave a ton of options. You’ve got Maridia, which everyone’s been thinking would be a stage for years (I’ve seen mockups of Maridia stages before the Smash stage contest existed lol), as well as Tourian potentially (But that sounds exhausting). I’ve already made a Crateria stage as well. That leaves us with one extra place that generally seems to be neglected- The Wrecked Ship.

The Wrecked Ship is exactly what it sounds like- basically a haunted ship that was powered down and Samus turns it on. There’s a lot of exploration, and it was a pain to get here in the first place… Lol

On first glance, it’s a pretty regular stage. Main platform at the bottom, with a floating platform in the middle. Do note though, that the ceiling is completely blocked. You can’t launch somebody that way. However, if you deal 1% damage to the door at the top, one could launch someone up through there to their death! After opening the door, it will remain open for ten seconds, or until someone flies through it.

Is that it, though? Seems a little boring for a HAUNTED ship…

Phantoon, the boss of this area, appears after thirty seconds of gameplay! He’ll basically just materialize on one of the extreme sides of the screen, and start rotating his blue fire around himself in a circle! He doesn’t launch the fire, it just stays with him, only disappearing if a character is damaged by it. Touching one of the fireballs will deal 7% damage to you. You can also attack the fire to get rid of it. Phantoon will stick around, phasing in and out on either side of the stage, either until 20 seconds have passed, or all his fire is gone. If he leaves on his own, he’ll show up again 30 seconds later. If he leaves because his fire is gone, he’ll take a full minute to return.

Music:​

Metroid Queen/Phantoon Theme (Other M): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lBDdaNmudc

Big Boss Confrontation (Starts playing when Phantoon shows up): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAMpbG5trjM

Side note- I made the Space Colony ARK and Wrecked Ship stages in very different times, never expecting them to be back-to-back. So please excuse the use of the door gimmick on this stage, since the last entry also had one. That said, the doors are an important thing in Metroid so I didn't want to remove it.​

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
1541447430873.png

(Thanks for the mockup, Kevandre. What a nice guy. :))

Stage Name:
Space Pirate Mothership

Origin:
Metroid: Zero Mission

Gimmicks and Hazards:
Space Pirates and Security

Description:
Not to be confused with the Kid Icarus version, this Space Pirate ship is a level in Metroid: Zero Mission that houses the Zero Suit-oriented stealth portion of the game. The Space Pirate Mothership is a decent-sized stage, of which is enough for a few gimmicks: spotlights and laser security will search for any intruders aboard the ship 20 seconds after the start of the match, and function similarly to Shadow Moses Island, but there’s a catch: if a player is detected, doors will trap themselves shut and two Space Pirates will chase after the sighted player. Their pincir attacks, which they do within range every 2 seconds, will deal 4.3% damage and hitstun while a plasma weapon attack will fire in two-shot spurts that deal 8.8% damage total with hitstun. The Space Pirates also have 75% the speed of Zero Suit Samus. These Space Pirates can be KO’d after taking 35% damage each, which may add to your point total in Timed matches similarly to Pyrosphere!Ridley if you KO both, and they are unrelenting in their pursuit of the sighted player for 15 seconds before leaving. If you KO one and the other goes away, the KO'd Space Pirate will not add to your total. They can also leave if that player is KO’d. After the Space Pirates leave, the security timer will reset to 45 seconds before being reactivated.

Unlockable:
Yes. Defeat Zero Suit Samus as Ridley using Scizor.

Music:
Space Pirate Mothership Medley
Chozo Ruins (Metroid: Zero Mission)
Proteus Ridley Battle Phase 3 (Metroid: Samus Returns)
Mecha Ridley (Metroid: Zero Mission)
Ancient Chozo Secrets (Metroid: Zero Mission)
Chozo Warrior Engraving Boss Theme (Metroid: Zero Mission)
Space Pirate Assault (Metroid: Zero Mission)

Last edited:

Primid

Smash Apprentice
BRYYO
(From Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)

One of the coolest features added to Metroid Prime 3 was the ability to fly to different planets using Samus’ gunship, which opened a lot of possibilities in terms of exploration and world-building (or should I say galaxy-building?) Anyways, Bryyo is the first major area that the player gets to travel to and it’s definitely an expansive and interesting locale. Samus is sent to this war-ravaged planet to investigate a fallen Leviathan seed and to reestablish contact with her bounty-hunter companion Rundas, but she quickly discovers the surface over-run by bloodthirsty creatures and Phazon corruption.

This stage is sort of an amalgamation of two areas from Bryyo, The Cliffside and The Thorn Jungle, and I tried to incorporate some of the unique features of this planet into the stage gimmicks. Let’s travel to the surface, shall we?

The red signifies solid ground and green represents pass-through platforms. The two platforms on the left side of the stage move back in sync with one another and stop momentarily before resuming their movement. The large stone golem at the right side of the stage lifts the platform up and down. Just like the other two platforms, the golem will hold this larger platform in place for a moment before lowering it.

The main stage gimmick comes in the form of the missing hunter Rundas. After being corrupted by Dark Samus, Rundas is no longer in control of his own body and will therefore lash out at players. [NOTE: Rundas will not directly attack any players and therefore cannot be attacked. He is NOT, I repeat, NOT a stage boss! He is an integral part of the stage and will transform the layout significantly using his cryogenic powers. Sounds cool right? Let's see what he can do.

Throughout the match, Rundas will float around the stage and do several things to change the course of battle. Here he is shown flying upwards and destroying the middle bridge that connects the floating terrain. Anyone standing on it will simply be knocked backwards, no damage will be taken. The platforms will be completely eliminated when he does this.

After Rundas knocks out the two platforms, the battlefield will be divided. Players will have have to avoid the large gap between the two sections if they want to survive.

Shortly after destroying the middle platform, Rundas will return and use his ice powers to rebuild the bridge. This area will be slippery for a little bit before it re-hardens into the normal layout once again.

Continuing with his ice theme, Rundas will also occasionally freeze the moving platform on the right side of the stage into place, preventing it from moving for a short while. Again, the ice will be slippery but it will still be pass-through as well. It will melt after time passes.

Rundas' final ice-based move involves him skating from one side of the stage to the other, leaving a frozen trail behind him. These leftover ice chunks become new pass-through platforms, adding a little more height to the stage. They don't stick around for too long though and will eventually melt.

Rundas' final move can potentially damage players if they are standing too close to the fuel gel sack located on the left pillar. Rundas will dash through it, causing it to explode in a spectacular fashion. Anyone caught in the explosion will be knocked backwards and be dealt a hefty 25% damage.

That pretty much sums up Bryyo. I've always liked this area in MP3 and Rundas as well, so I felt like this stage would be the perfect way to showcase them both in a fun and unique way!

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
BRYYO
(From Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)

One of the coolest features added to Metroid Prime 3 was the ability to fly to different planets using Samus’ gunship, which opened a lot of possibilities in terms of exploration and world-building (or should I say galaxy-building?) Anyways, Bryyo is the first major area that the player gets to travel to and it’s definitely an expansive and interesting locale. Samus is sent to this war-ravaged planet to investigate a fallen Leviathan seed and to reestablish contact with her bounty-hunter companion Rundas, but she quickly discovers the surface over-run by bloodthirsty creatures and Phazon corruption.

This stage is sort of an amalgamation of two areas from Bryyo, The Cliffside and The Thorn Jungle, and I tried to incorporate some of the unique features of this planet into the stage gimmicks. Let’s travel to the surface, shall we?

The red signifies solid ground and green represents pass-through platforms. The two platforms on the left side of the stage move back in sync with one another and stop momentarily before resuming their movement. The large stone golem at the right side of the stage lifts the platform up and down. Just like the other two platforms, the golem will hold this larger platform in place for a moment before lowering it.

The main stage gimmick comes in the form of the missing hunter Rundas. After being corrupted by Dark Samus, Rundas is no longer in control of his own body and will therefore lash out at players. [NOTE: Rundas will not directly attack any players and therefore cannot be attacked. He is NOT, I repeat, NOT a stage boss! He is an integral part of the stage and will transform the layout significantly using his cryogenic powers. Sounds cool right? Let's see what he can do.

Throughout the match, Rundas will float around the stage and do several thing to change the course of battle. Here he is shown flying upwards and destroying the middle bridge that connects the floating terrain. Anyone standing on it will simply be knocked backwards, no damage will be taken. The platforms will be completely eliminated when he does this.

After Rundas knocks out the two platforms, the battlefield will be divided. Players will have have to avoid the large gap between the two sections if they want to survive.

Shortly after destroying the middle platform, Rundas will return and use his ice powers to rebuild the bridge. This area will be slippery for a little bit before it re-hardens into the normal layout once again.

Continuing with his ice theme, Rundas will also occasionally freeze the moving platform on the right side of the stage into place, preventing it from moving for a short while. Again, the ice will be slippery but it will still be pass-through as well. It will melt after a short while.

Rundas' final ice-based move involves him skating from one side of the stage to the other, leaving a frozen trail behind him. These leftover ice chunks become new pass-through platforms, adding a little more height to the stage. They don't stick around for too long though and will eventually melt.

Rundas' final move can potentially damage players if they are standing too close to the fuel gel sack located on the left pillar. Rundas will dash through it, causing it to explode in a spectacular fashion. Anyone caught in the explosion will be knocked backwards and be dealt a hefty 25% damage.

That pretty much sums up Bryyo. I've always liked this area in MP3 and Rundas as well, so I felt like this stage would be the perfect way to showcase them both in a fun and unique way!

Music:
Yo this is dope. And I love Rundas so I'm hecka into this

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Rundas > Sylux

Don't @ me.
I've wanted Rundas as another Metroid rep for a while, because I think that Smash is missing a truly amazing ice-based character. Ice Climbers and Lucas don't fill the role well. That said, I've kind of transitioned to Sub-Zero instead of Rundas. He kind of looks the part and is certainly more iconic. I'd be pretty happy with either one though

Primid

Smash Apprentice
I've wanted Rundas as another Metroid rep for a while, because I think that Smash is missing a truly amazing ice-based character. Ice Climbers and Lucas don't fill the role well. That said, I've kind of transitioned to Sub-Zero instead of Rundas. He kind of looks the part and is certainly more iconic. I'd be pretty happy with either one though
Sub-Zero would be awesome. Smash definitely could use a full-fledged ice-user, I'm surprised we haven't gotten one yet. Even an ice Pokemon like Regice or someone would be neat.

Last edited:

TKOWL

Smash Apprentice
Nightmare Chamber
Metroid Fusion

In traversing through Sector 5 of the BSL Station, Samus runs across ominous flashes of a ghostly figure passing by, and is later on confronted by it: the Nightmare, the center of the ship's gravity control and now taken over by the X Parasites. This battle is one of the most memorable ones in the game for numerous reasons, one of the most famous being Nightmare's dissolving the face the more it takes damage in its core. The gravity shifts hard in this area, making missiles fall to the ground. Once Samus defeats the Core X inside of it, she obtains the Gravity Suit, now able to visit the underwater areas of the BSL without any effect.

This is a stage with a flat middle platform, with two walls on the side, much like Warioware or Kalos Pokemon League. Two pass-through platforms will move up and down slowly, their highest and lowest positions are shown here. Things seem simple, but after about 20-30 seconds the Nightmare's core in the background lights up, and it descends from its latch. After a few seconds from coming down, its core will begin spinning wildly, and ooze will come from its face as warning sirens will sound...

...and the gravity will magnify! The two pass-through platforms will immediately fall to the ground, and all fighters will be hit by the "heavy" gravity effect option as seen in Special Smash. That means that recoveries become much more difficult, launched fighters will fall back down much further (thus increasing combo potential), and jumping over projectiles becomes much harder! After about 15 seconds into this chaos, Nightmare's core will turn off as it goes back into its perch, the platforms will rise back up, and the gravity will return to normal. One potential strategy of this stage is to throw your opponent off the stage right before the gravity increases, and watch them struggle to make it back!

This stage takes place in a "technological junkyard", and sparks will sometimes be seen flashing in the broken appliances in the back. When the gravity increases, the top of the stage will emit a glowing red siren light. Fun fact: if playing on the "light" gravity setting for Special Smash, gravity will return to its regular form when Nightmare approaches, and if playing on "heavy", the gravity will become even more oppressive, making jumping almost impossible! This is the perfect stage for an insane Special Smash match.

MUSIC:
Metroid Fusion Boss Theme Medley (Remix)
Sector 1 (Brawl)
Space Pirate Mother Ship (Metroid: Zero Mission) (Remix)
Lower Brinstar (Super Metroid) (Remix)
Rundas Battle Theme (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)
Chozo Laboratory (Metroid: Samus Returns)
Diggernaut Battle (Metroid: Samus Returns)

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Nightmare Chamber
Metroid Fusion

In traversing through Sector 5 of the BSL Station, Samus runs across ominous flashes of a ghostly figure passing by, and is later on confronted by it: the Nightmare, the center of the ship's gravity control and now taken over by the X Parasites. This battle is one of the most memorable ones in the game for numerous reasons, one of the most famous being Nightmare's dissolving the face the more it takes damage in its core. The gravity shifts hard in this area, making missiles fall to the ground. Once Samus defeats the Core X inside of it, she obtains the Gravity Suit, now able to visit the underwater areas of the BSL without any effect.

This is a stage with a flat middle platform, with two walls on the side, much like Warioware or Kalos Pokemon League. Two pass-through platforms will move up and down slowly, their highest and lowest positions are shown here. Things seem simple, but after about 20-30 seconds the Nightmare's core in the background lights up, and it descends from its latch. After a few seconds from coming down, its core will begin spinning wildly, and ooze will come from its face as warning sirens will sound...

...and the gravity will magnify! The two pass-through platforms will immediately fall to the ground, and all fighters will be hit by the "heavy" gravity effect option as seen in Special Smash. That means that recoveries become much more difficult, launched fighters will fall back down much further (thus increasing combo potential), and jumping over projectiles becomes much harder! After about 15 seconds into this chaos, Nightmare's core will turn off as it goes back into its perch, the platforms will rise back up, and the gravity will return to normal. One potential strategy of this stage is to throw your opponent off the stage right before the gravity increases, and watch them struggle to make it back!

This stage takes place in a "technological junkyard", and sparks will sometimes be seen flashing in the broken appliances in the back. When the gravity increases, the top of the stage will emit a glowing red siren light. Fun fact: if playing on the "light" gravity setting for Special Smash, gravity will return to its regular form when Nightmare approaches, and if playing on "heavy", the gravity will become even more oppressive, making jumping almost impossible! This is the perfect stage for an insane Special Smash match.

MUSIC:
Metroid Fusion Boss Theme Medley (Remix)
Sector 1 (Brawl)
Space Pirate Mother Ship (Metroid: Zero Mission) (Remix)
Lower Brinstar (Super Metroid) (Remix)
Rundas Battle Theme (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)
Chozo Laboratory (Metroid: Samus Returns)
Diggernaut Battle (Metroid: Samus Returns)
Yo that's even creepier than in the game. Nice work

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
"B.S.L. RESEARCH STATION"
from Metroid Fusion

Located on the planet SR388, the Biological Space Laboratories (B.S.L) research station is the main location in Metroid: Fusion. A mysterious explosion causes a massive outbreak of X parasites to infest every inch of the station, and it's up to bounty hunter Samus Aran to explore the area and discover the truth behind the Federation's secret experiments.

My stage is primarily based on the area of the station known as the "Main Deck." This is the starting area as well as the ending area of the game, and one of the last boss fights with SA-X takes place in an area similar to what's depicted in my stage. The layout consists of a large base with a sloped middle area. There are several raised platforms scattered about as well. You can also see Samus's gunship flying around in space through the giant windows. It may look like a fairly simple stage at first glance, but the Federation has hidden a few "secrets" here worth mentioning. But before we get into that, here are the stage collisions:

The red lines represent solid ground, and the green lines are pass-thru platforms.

Hazards
As I mentioned before, there is a gimmick to this stage, which comes in the form of the X parasites found all throughout Metroid: Fusion. There are three types of X parasites to be found here: Yellow, Blue, and Red. I'll break down what each of these X types do.

Yellow X Parasites
Similar to their in-game counterparts, Yellow X parasites will infect certain parts of the stage, yielding different gameplay situations depending on what they decide to infect. A Yellow X will fly in from offscreen and hover over its designated site for about 2 seconds before mutating with it. There are two objects in particular that Yellow X's will target, the first of which are the two middlemost white platforms.

If a Yellow X hovers over either of these platforms, it will soon mutate into a Geron bio-barrier. The Geron will act as a solid wall, preventing players from walking under the infected platform. The Geron will remain in place for roughly 12 seconds before disappearing. Alternatively, 5 direct hits to its bulbous center will cause it to break and disappear.

Now, you may have also noticed the dead scientist on the right side of the stage. This is the second object a Yellow X can infect.

After hovering over the body, the Yellow X will fuse with the corpse, reanimating it into a Zombie Researcher. The Zombie Researcher will lumber around the stage, grabbing at players. Its attacks deal about 5% damage to players. Luckily, it's a pretty slow enemy and pretty easy to defeat, with 3 hits bringing it to its knees. If not defeated, it will also dissolve into goop after 12 seconds. After some time, another body will appear somewhere else on the stage (It can reappear almost anywhere, even on one of the striped platforms, but it will never appear anywhere in the middle section highlighted by the gate/fence).

Blue X Parasites
Seemingly the most intelligent of the X parasites, Blue X's aren't interested in fusing with the stage. Instead, they seek to disrupt the battle.

Similar to the Yellow X's, a Blue X will fly in and hover over one of the three striped platforms. It will quickly freeze the targeted platform, causing it to then shatter and disappear. Once this happens, the Blue X will fly away offscreen having performed its intended purpose. The broken platform will be gone for 12 seconds before reappearing.

Although it's not as common as the previous occurrence, Blue X's might instead target a specific player if it is feeling extra mischievous. When this happens, it will hover over the player and deal "freeze damage" to them over time (1% dmg per second) and decrease their movement speed 0.25x. Similar to the Metroid assist trophy, you can attack the Blue X to get it off your character. It will then move on to another target and repeat this process for 12 seconds overall before leaving the screen.

Red X Parasites
The rarest of the X parasites, you'll be lucky to see a Red X once during a match, if it even appears at all. Just like in the game, the Red X is a very useful healing item. It will float aimlessly around the stage, and the player who reaches it first will absorb it and be healed by 50%. Also, if you're playing with the Final Smash meter on, it will completely fill your meter as well. And similarly to the Smash ball, if players fail to catch it in 12 seconds, it will leave.

That's about it as far as the X parasites go, but there are a few other notes I should also mention:
- There will only ever be one X on stage at a time, regardless of type. After one appears and runs its course, there will be a 15 second cooldown before another one shows up again.
- The type of X that appears and it's intended action is completely random. For example, you could have 2 Blue X's appear back to back that both decide to destroy the same platform, or you could have 3 yellows in a row that appear creating Gerons instead of infecting a scientist body, etc.

Unlockable: Yes. Defeat Ridley-X (Blue alt.) with Samus in her Fusion suit costume on Brinstar Depths.

Music:
Sector 1 (SRX) SR388 Simulation Area (New Remix)
Vs. B.O.X (New Remix)
Vs. Nightmare (V.J. Remix Version)
Vs. Serris/Yakuza (Redux Version)
Surface of SR388 (Metroid: Samus Returns)
Vs. Zeta Metroid (Metroid: Samus Returns)
Approaching Sector Zero (Metroid: Other M)

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
And so far everyone's been submitting early this time too, which is kinda funny. I honestly thought I might be one of the first submissions, but everyone else still beat me to it haha

apaulieg

Smash Rookie
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Phaaze Genesis Chamber

If Dark Samus is in battle, Alfonzo leaps into the Aurora Unit 313. Alfonzo: “Leave it to mghaa—”

This is a level that takes place in the penultimate chamber of the phazon-heavy planet of Phaaze. That means the background I’m using here is a placeholder, I just couldn’t be bothered to make an entire background of the Genesis Chamber itself (or any background, to be honest (or much of stage art either - she's getting used to photoshop after a few years off.))

The main portion of the level is an asymmetrical platform slightly wider than the width of battlefield. The lower portion of the right-hand side is blocked by a tentacle of phazon, and there are two platforms that move up and down to either side of the stage. The stage itself does not float, so there are blast zones at all sides of the stage, but you cannot pass under it. The stage’s solid platform is marked by red, and the platforms you can pass through are marked in pink. Additionally, their movement is marked in pink. The platform on the right moves slightly lower than the platform on the left to accommodate the lowered right side of the stage, and as such it doesn’t go quite as high either.

The Phazon tentacle is mostly just an annoyance, but if a player is next to it for more than a second, it will wriggle back and forth very quickly, whipping anyone who comes in contact for 5% electrical damage and moderate knockback. However, the tentacle only has about 50HP, so hitting it with one or two strong projectiles or smash attacks will make it burrow into the earth for one minute. It is highlighted yellow to show that it is a stage hazard.

The gimmick of this stage is the floating Leviathan Womb. Within is a Leviathan Infant which swims in a circle. When a player approaches the semi-sentient Womb, it phases out of existence, meaning players will not collide with it. It and the Infant do no damage to players (they are non-hazardous). If the players enter the area highlighted green, the entire womb phases (get it?) out of existence. That said, it is destroyable by use of projectiles.

Any projectile or thrown item can damage the Womb. It has about 200HP, meaning it won’t break unless players stop battling to FOCUS on taking it down. Considering you have to be on one of the platforms to do so and melee attacks won’t work (such as combo-ing an opponent through the air), players are disincentivized to doing so (or are rewarded for their ability to KO an opponent with a few precious moments to fire projectiles). The fact that you even can take down the Leviathan Womb and Infant is not meant to be obvious, since it does not attack players and there are no signs of damage (such as recoil or changes in coloration like Super Metroid bosses).

-

If you choose to destroy it, the screen glows bright blue and motion streaks symbolize that you are falling through the long shaft connecting the now-destroyed Genesis Chamber down into the Sanctum. After about three seconds (where you can be knocked to the left, right, and top of the stage, but there is an invisible floor preventing you from falling and the wind effect from Pokemon Stadium 2 occurs), you arrive in The Sanctum.

The Sanctum is an enclosed stage with a large flat floor along the bottom and two walls along either side. Much like how you are trapped in the final boss battle, the only way out is up. While the layout is basic and large, it is representative of the simplicity of the chamber in which the final boss fight of Metroid Prime 3 is held. The background is not the blue blury thing I have here, but rather the environment you see in the rectangular image. The walls mimic the appearance of the rectangular image, but for the sake of this entry, they are the dark blueberry blurs along the left and right sides. I've marked the boundaries in red in the Spoiler’d image.

Aurora Unit 313 is a stage hazard here, and it's about the size you see in the photo. No need for complicated stages when you’re fighting the final boss of a video game! It occasionally fires a laser onto the field, sweeping the beam from the background to the foreground to signal its approach and then swiftly upward. This does 10% fire damage and does light knockback. It is also impervious to damage except at the neck. While you can run through the neck (technically just BARELY in front of it), it can also take damage. The solid hazard of the head is colored yellow in the Collisions spoiler, and the “you can walk by it but it also takes damage” status of the neck is outlined in green. Did it NEED to be colored in? No. But I felt like it.

After dealing enough damage (about 100HP), the neck explodes, and the Aurora Unit’s head then floats around the space at the top of the stage. In this form, it will position itself to the side of the stage and cast four lasers that do 1% lightning damage but provide hit-stun - think Master Hand, or think its actual attack in the game if you're familiar with it! Additionally, it can slam into the center of the stage (doing 5% damage and knocking back anyone hit substantially) and make [2x the number of players] spheres of phazon energy fly into the air and then target the fighters. These can be dodged fairly easily or broken with disjointed attacks or projectiles, but being hit causes 7% electrical damage and sizeable knockback. This form is difficult to hit without good timing when it is moving around, but when performing its attacks, it is stationary and makes itself vulnerable. When it takes about 100HP of damage, it explodes and disappears. The battle then resumes, still in the Sanctum. There is no way to return to the Genesis Chamber.

-

Extra details: Final Thoughts, Unlocking, Comeptitive Formats, and Music

The Sanctum is meant to be hard to get to. Players may not even be aware that you CAN access the Sanctum - the Leviathan Womb does not give recoil, show signs of wear, or indicate that it even has health besides projectiles making effects that they've made contact with it. You have to play as specific characters to get into it, and that's intentional. Once you pick the stage, you can choose to pick a fighter that can get to the Sactum more easily if you'd prefer to fight there. Otherwise, you can choose not to. It's meant to be an Easter Egg – the stage itself is named after the Genesis Chamber, after all. That said, there is a built-in way to teach players about the Sanctum portion of the level.

You can unlock the stage by beating Dark Samus as Samus four times. After playing on this stage ten times in vs. battles, a new spirit can appear in Spirit Mode called the Aurora Unit 313. It takes the form of Dark Samus, and you play as Samus. Your teammate in the battle is Zero-Suit Samus. She starts the battle with 300% damage, but she is impervious to damage during the fight. Instead, she only fires her paralyzer beam, and she only fires it at the Leviathan Womb. Dark Samus will only target you and is also impervious to damage. When the womb is destroyed, Zero-Suit Samus will regain the ability to be damaged, and Dark Samus will focus her to knock her out of the stage immediately. Now it's just you and Dark Samus in the Sanctum, and Dark Samus can now take damage from you but does not take damage from the Aurora 313.

The Battlefield and Big Battlefield forms of the stage take place in the Genesis Chamber, though it is flat and has the requisite platforms. The Leviathan Womb does not exist in these forms, and therefore there is no way to enter the Sanctum. However, the Final Destination stage takes place in the “final destination” of this stage, being the Sanctum. The differences between these three modes are merely the size of the stage, the positioning of platforms, and the background. Playing with Stage Hazards turned off does NOT remove the Leviathan Womb, meaning you can travel to the Sanctum, however it DOES remove the Aurora Unit 313 capacity of the Sanctum portion of the stage as well as the phazon tentacle in the Genesis Chamber.

Lastly, MUSIC TIME! Ten tracks. Eight are probably appropriate, one is debatably so, and one is definitely not - but it's my favorite Metroid music. Guess which one that is! The hint is it rhymes with Borvus Tog Thain Meme.

Metroid Prime 3 OST: Phaaze - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzhmrdGKJjw (this could use a traditional rock remix, right? Or different instrumentation at least for Smash. But maybe its original version deserves to be preserved, considering it’s the actual theme of this stage.)
Metroid Prime 3 OST: Dark Samus Boss Theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3D1dI_yjTY
Metroid Prime 2 OST: Dark Samus Battle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEVQ6JxQFr4
Metroid Prime 2 OST: Escape/Final Boss - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK0NeTjLa7s
Metroid Prime 2 OST: Vs. Emperor Ing A and B - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fa0tFkEREE and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXbDCF7IHoU (this would be a great mash-up/remix)
Metroid Prime 3 OST: Omega Ridley Boss Theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsh7e1XZdGk
Metroid Prime 3 OST: Gandrayda Boss Theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzUkyik4J4A
Metroid Prime 2 OST: Torvus Bog Main Theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUWtSrG6xKU&t=1179s
Metroid Prime 3 OST: Aurora Unit Boss Theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06oAfsTXa6A
Metroid Prime OST: Metroid Prime Essence Battle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnAm2mItdIc

Last edited:

Primid

Smash Apprentice
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Phaaze Genesis Chamber

If Dark Samus is in battle, Alfonzo leaps into the Aurora Unit 313. Alfonzo: “Leave it to mghaa—”

I will edit this for formatting and clarity in an hour or two. I’ll also improve the visibility of the Sanctum portion of the stage, and I’ll add in music. I just have a meeting that started at noon

-

This is a level that takes place in the penultimate chamber of the phazon-heavy planet of Phaaze. The main portion of the level is an asymmetrical platform slightly wider than the width of battlefield. The lower portion of the right-hand side is blocked by a tentacle of phazon, and there are two platforms that move up and down to either side of the stage. The stage itself does not float – it is a tall island platform – so there are blast zones at all sides of the stage, but you cannot pass under it. The stage’s solid platform is marked by red, and the platforms are marked in pink. Additionally, their movement is marked in pink as well. The platform on the right moves slightly lower than the platform on the left to accommodate the lowered right side of the stage, and as such it doesn’t go quite as high either.

The Phazon tentacle is mostly inactive, but it will occasionally wriggle back and forth very quickly, whipping anyone who comes in contact for 5% electrical damage and moderate knockback. However, the tentacle only has about 50HP, so hitting it with one or two strong projectiles or smash attacks will make it burrow into the earth for two minutes. It is highlighted yellow to show that it is a stage hazard.

The gimmick of this stage is the floating Leviathan Womb. Within is a Leviathan Infant, which swims in a circle. When a player approaches the semi-sentient Womb, it phases out of existence, meaning players will not collide with it. It and the Infant do no damage to players – it is non-hazardous. If the players enter the area highlighted green, the entire womb phases (get it?) out of existence. That said, it is destructible by use of projectiles.

Any projectile or thrown item can damage the Womb. It has about 200 hit points, meaning it won’t break unless players stop battling to FOCUS on taking it down. Considering you have to be on one of the platforms to do so, and melee attacks won’t work (such as combo-ing an opponent through the air), it disincentivizes players from doing so. The fact that you even can take down the Leviathan Womb and Infant is meant to be an easter egg.

-

If you choose to destroy it, the screen glows bright blue and motion streaks reveal that you are falling through the long shaft connecting the now destroyed Genesis Chamber down into the Sanctum. The Sanctum is an enclosed stage, with a large flat platform along the bottom and two walls along either side. Much like how you are trapped in the final boss battle, the only way out is up. While the layout is basic and large, it is representative of the simplicity of the chamber in which the final boss fight of Metroid Prime 3 is held.

Which is good, as the Aurora Unit 313 is a stage hazard here. Its neck does not obstruct movement - you can run through it - but the head is solid. From the background, it occasionally fires a laser onto the field, sweeping from the background to the foreground and then upward. It is also impervious to damage except at the neck, which while you can run through it, it can take damage. After dealing enough damage (about 100%), the neck explodes, and the Aurora Unit’s head then floats around the space at the top of the stage. In this form, it will position itself to the side of the stage and cast four lasers that do minimal damage but provide hit-stun. Additionally, it can slam into the center of the stage and make [2x the number of players] spheres of phazon energy fly into the air and then target the fighters. These can be dodged or broken with attacks or projectiles. This form is difficult to hit without fast projectiles when it is moving around, but when performing its attacks, it makes itself vulnerable. When it takes about 100% of damage, it explodes and disappears. The battle then resumes, still in the Sanctum. There is no way to return to the Genesis Chamber.

-

The Sanctum is more included as an Easter Egg – the stage itself is named after the Genesis Chamber, after all. Additionally, the Sanctum is only accessible by a certain number of characters or circumstances – without items on, only characters with aerial projectiles can access it.

The Battlefield and Big Battlefield forms of the stage take place in the Genesis Chamber, though it is flat and has the requisite platforms. The Leviathan Womb does not exist. However, the Final Destination stage takes place in the “final destination” of this stage, being the Sanctum. The differences between these three modes are merely the size of the stage, the positioning of platforms, and the background. Playing with Stage Hazards turned off does NOT remove the Leviathan Womb, however it does remove the Aurora Unit 313 capacity of the Sanctum portion of the stage as well as the phazon tentacle in the Genesis Chamber.

-
Music to be added later. Just wanted to make sure I got this in!
Nice one! I actually considered making Phaaze for this round as a home stage for Dark Samus of sorts, but I ultimately scrapped it. I'm glad someone made it though, and this looks pretty dope.

apaulieg

Smash Rookie
Nice one! I actually considered making Phaaze for this round as a home stage for Dark Samus of sorts, but I ultimately scrapped it. I'm glad someone made it though, and this looks pretty dope.
Thank you! I think any of the worlds of Metroid Prime 3 would make great levels - you did Bryyo infinitely more justice than I would have been able to. In rewatching footage of the game (because my old Wii is still at my parents' home), I remembered the Leviathan Womb and thought it would make a particularly interesting stage.

D

Deleted member

Alright guys. Round 39 is now closed. See you on Sunday with the grades for it.

D

Deleted member

Heads up. One of the judges had something come up that needs their attention and will probably take all day. Grades will very likely have to wait until tomorrow.

D

Deleted member

The wait continues for Round 39 grades. But we can still start Round 40!

Winning the poll at 7 votes, Round 40 is.........................
Kid Icarus and F-Zero

The final double dip round. As well as the only remaining round that isn't a repeat. Despite the popularity of Kid Icarus Uprising and the demand for a new F-Zero game, both series are pretty small and are honestly kind of in the middle between well known and obscure.

Having them both be separate rounds runs too much of a risk of them each being stagnant, so we're putting both of them together in one.

There does not exist a game in either franchise that is ineligible but as per usual with double dip rounds:

- Only one submission per person
- You can only pick one of the two series to base your submission on. Not both.
- You can't combine them into one. This isn't a crossover stages round.

And with that, on November 12th 2018, Round 40 has begun. You have until Friday, November 16th, at around 11:00pm Pacific Time to submit entries.

Good Luck!

Top Bottom