• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct Thread - 8.8.2018

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
But Sony hasn't made up with Nintendo, while Sega did a long time ago. He's not coming to Smash
Don't.

You.

Dare.

Say.

That.

Again.

Crash isn't with Sony, but Activision. They ****ing know Crash is popular with the fans and his remakes has sold very well. If he's not gonna get in the base roster, DLC will do just fine

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
Here are my thoughts.

-YES. Simon's IN! His reveal trailer was pretty hardcore too. RIP Luigi.

-Richter?! Wasn't expecting that, but awesome. Richter's new design reminds me of Jonathan Joestar from Jojo, so I'll probably use him over Simon.

-Wow there's a ton of Castlevania content coming to Ultimate. I'm surprised Konami was so cooperative with Sakurai.

-Looks like Chrom's finally getting his time to shine! I really liked Chrom in Awakening, so I'm glad he's not just a part of Robin's final smash again. According to the Smash Facebook page, he's an echo of Roy, not Marth, but it also seems like his Up B looks like Ike's Aether. (I mean, Chrom can use Aether in his own game, so I guess that makes sense.) It'll be interesting to see more of him. We may have our first double echo fighter. XD Also, I wonder what Robin's final Smash will be now?

-Dark Samus confirmed! This was one of the more obvious Echo fighter choices, but I'm still glad that the Metroid series is getting way more representation this time around. Now all I need is Black Shadow for F-Zero.

-Holy crap 103 stages! That's nuts. So glad to see Gamer, Pirate Ship, Paper Mario and Fountain of Dreams confirmed to be returning. Kinda bummed that Melee's Mute City and Orbital Gate Assault don't seem to be returning, but there's always DLC hope. All of them are 8-player compatible as well, so that's also pretty great. Kinda sad that they're all unlocked from the get-go, because I enjoy unlocking stuff, but at least we only start with 8 fighters to compensate. I'm also loving that my music is organized by series, and not just by stage. The two stage feature is also a pretty cool addition, but I probably won't use it that much.

-900 tracks?! DAMN. A soundtrack definitely worthy of the title of "Ultimate".

- Finally, you can save your own custom rule sets. Why this wasn't a feature since, like, Melee baffles me, but hey, better late than never. XD Loving the additions to stamina mode. I might finally use the mode more often now. XD Also really liking the idea of Final smash meters. Wonder if they'll be legal in competitive, since many other fighting games, more-or-less, have this sort of mechanic in them.

- YES. They took the best part of Smash Tour and turned it into its own mode! I've been wanting this ever since Smash 4, so I'm really happy that it's in! Melee/Brawl style Tourney mode is back! Double YES. Smashdown looks like it could be a lot of fun. Also really liking the improvements to training mode.

-Classic mode is looking great! Didn't like the weird board game version that was in Smash Wii U, so I'm really glad that they went back to basics. Really liking that each fighter now has their own classic mode route now. It'll make clearing it with every fighter all the more fresh. Kinda bummed that the point bonuses from Melee still aren't here though, but it's not the end of the world.

-Liking all the new items seen so far. Especially the Killing Edge, since I'm a big Fire Emblem guy. Same with the Pokemon shown. Some people are probably bummed that Mimikyu was deconfirmed though. It's really cool to see Ditto finally be used in smash, since it was planned to be in Melee.

- speaking of deconfirmation, Assist trophies! The only one that truly bummed me out was Shovel Knight, but I know that Shantae would have the better chance at being the indie rep., so I'm okay with Shovel Knight just being an assist trophy. Kappn' being an assist trophy makes me think that Isabelle is now possibly an echo fighter of Villager. (Same with Shadow and Sonic) Only time will tell. Also Chef Kawasaki stealing Kirby's brawl Final smash. XD Makes more sense for him to have it though. Gray Fox is back! Would have preferred MGS4 or MGR:R Raiden, but I'm cool with Gray Fox. And the freaking Moon from Majora's Mask. Anything from my favourite game of all time is greatly appreciated, and it's looking scarier than ever now. XD Love it.

-The stage where they showed Rathalos looks a little too plain. Reminded me of a Subspace Emissary boss fight stage. Sakurai did say that Rathalos is a boss too, so either we're getting a bland Monster Hunter stage, or possibly a hint at Ultimate's Adventure mode.

- Definitely liking the new menu UI more than Smash 4's but I'm still weirded out by single player modes being behind "Games and more".

- KING K. ROOL. One of my most wanted fighters since Brawl is finally here! YES. Laughed pretty hard at the Dedede fake out. XD Really hoping we get his final boss costumes from the DKC games as alts.

Overall, this was a fantastic showcasing. WAY more than what I was initially expecting, but I guess since the release date is early December, it's only natural that we'd be getting bigger chunks of content shown off in each preview. I'm so happy right now.

Yarael-BJ-Poof

Smash Cadet
Don't.

You.

Dare.

Say.

That.

Again.

Crash isn't with Sony, but Activision. They ****ing know Crash is popular with the fans and his remakes has sold very well. If he's not gonna get in the base roster, DLC will do just fine
Jesus f***ing Christ, sorry for having an opinion.

Yeah, we seem to have more villains this time around, with Ridley and now K. Rool, I think Hades definitely deserves a shot. It would be cool to hear him comment on things in the guidance convos. (And Dark Pit is still a waste of space, he definitely doesn't cut it for villain representation)

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
i kept pausing to catch my breath from excitement... i JUST got to the end of the video.

KING K. ROOL!!!

wow... and king dedede trolling us first was amazing... oh my god, these are gonna be the LONGEST four months in all of existence!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
CrusherMania1592 CrusherMania1592 Yarael-BJ-Poof Yarael-BJ-Poof Knock it off. There is no reason to fight like that. Nor reply like that. When voicing an opinion(that means you don't state something will happen, but could happen), be sure to be more consistent and clear on your wording so nobody is confused. In addition, there is really no reason to go off on someone like that even when they get their facts entirely wrong. It's rude and uncalled for. You are free to continue discussing it here, as long as it stays civil. But don't yell at each other.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Jesus f***ing Christ, sorry for having an opinion.

Yeah, we seem to have more villains this time around, with Ridley and now K. Rool, I think Hades definitely deserves a shot. It would be cool to hear him comment on things in the guidance convos. (And Dark Pit is still a waste of space, he definitely doesn't cut it for villain representation)
CrusherMania1592 CrusherMania1592 didn't need to respond that harshly, but Crash is an Activision character. Saying that he belongs to Sony is like saying that K. Rool belongs to Microsoft - a common misconception, but still false.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...dafuq?

How the hell is it even a fight when I'm only defending Crash's reasons for being included in Smash Bros?
"
Don't.

You.

Dare.

Say.

That.
Again.
"

That. That's way too harsh and going overboard. You're yelling at the user. Let's not do that, okay?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
That's way too harsh and going overboard. You're yelling at the user. Let's not do that, okay?
Sorry, but agree to disagree here

Now back on topic, how do you guys think All-Star mode will go if they reveal it? Either they can do a Melee style or give us the Wii U/3DS

Johny_Olde

Smash Cadet
I made a video with alterations on the reveal of King K. Rool with the Smashified music of K. Rool as well as some other things regarding him that lots of fans probably are not aware of. Its a reveal I feel should've been like. Can you guys tell me what you think?

King K. Rool in Smash Ultimate How it Should've Been Revealed! XD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcM7SpqLE-M

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I'll give it a watch, but I tell you hwhat the only way the reveal could have been better was if Hank Hill was in it.

Johny_Olde

Smash Cadet
Is there a way to post the video on smashboards so everybody can watch it here? I tried the embeded code and it didn't work.

Xpinkbean

Smash Apprentice
The bottom spaces could mean that the unrevealed past stages still have a shot to come back. I'm talking about Pokefloats, mute city (melee), and Orbital assault. I doubt Sakurai would leave out such a vital stage like pokefloats... right??

Last edited:

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Hella disappointed by the lack of singleplayer content discussed. They might be saving it for a later direct. The track does look a bit short, though. I wonder what the boss at the end will be.

The bottom spaces could mean that the unrevealed past stages still have a shot to come back. I'm talking about Pokefloats, mute city (melee), and Orbital assault. I doubt Sakurai would leave out such a vital stage like pokefloats... right??
I think that it's reasonable to assume not all stages are done quite yet. I hopewe'll get a mix of new stages and old ones in there. There are currently only 6 new slots, though. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if it was mostly new ones, though.

Ones I'm missing are Poke floats, Planet Zebes, Mushroom Kingdom, Metal Mario arena, and Icicle mountain. I doubt all those are gonna make it in. Though I think I could be happy so long as we get Mushroom Kingdom and Poke floats.

Honestly, either way, the lineup is already so godlike. It has so many stages I loved.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
Did you guys see Sakurai in the vid? He really looks like he's going to die.
the man seriously works too hard... i doubt smash will ever end, but i do hope he atleast steps away from the development of it, as it clearly is taking its toll on him.

he could pick a successor and just serve as a consultant at most, or something... i just hope he takes care of himself after ultimate's release.

he should work on things that are less stressful for him, maybe.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
It would make sense

Bring a popular fighter that everyone has some expectations to make it in

Bring an Echo that everyone would expect in the middle

Then a fighter that everyone wants at the end to make the hype train at full speed like they did with Ridley
Holy. ****ing. ****.

I just called this last night. I am a god of Smash Bros

Doubleslasher

Smash Rookie
I'm seriously hoping for Pokéfloats, and also didn't Sakurai say OGA took an entire year to make? I doubt he would leave that stage out if so. Or maybe that's also the entire reason it hasn't been revealed yet. They're Ultimate-ifying it, so it will take a bit longer.

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
I don't know about you guys, but I think King Dedede stole the show in this direct:

(BTW, A redditor called AllIWantIsCake made this gif)

SweetestB0i

Smash Rookie
I kind of hope people stop taking Vergeben so seriously after this direct. To me most of his "leaks" just seem like simple guesses and common sense. It's amazing how quickly people came to worship him after just a few things right.

My point:
1. You were an idiot if you didn't think ice climbers were coming back. It was so obvious.

2. Snake is a fan favorite character who brings a lot of people into the smash community and makes a ton of money for Nintendo. Not to mention he's a gigantic gaming icon. It definitely would be harder to predict snake but I think it's safe to say Sakurai would have done anything to get snake back in smash.

3. Ridley is one of the most consistently requested characters to date and has an overwhelming amount of support. I know Sakurai said he wouldn't work in smash but along with inkling he was still by far the most obvious choice for a new character. And Sakurai obviously knew that.

4. Simon Belmont was a given. Come on, everyone I know who plays smash was predicting Simon long before the Vergeben leak. There aren't many other characters with moveset potential and Nintendo history quite like Simon Belmont.

Please let me know why I'm wrong because I would honestly love to be able to believe Vergeben's leaks. But to me it just seems like he's making the easiest and most obvious guesses and constantly playing it safe. Also I didn't want to include this because I'm not sure if its true, so correct me if I'm wrong, But I heard Vergeben said something about there being no DK characters in the base roster. If that's true then he's definitely lost some credibility after that direct.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I don't know about you guys, but I think King Dedede stole the show in this direct:

(BTW, A redditor called AllIWantIsCake made this gif)
Quite ironic considering I have Dedede and K Rool as a tag team in my Smash stuff I'm doing LMAO

Loki

Smash Apprentice
Dunno if its been mentioned before, but was it just me or does recovery after a directional dodge look way faster? During Chrom`s presentation he avoids grenninja`s dash attack with a right directional dodge and gets to punish it soon after landing. It wasnt by no means wavedash but if I recall correct, most people who tried landing after a dodge agreed on that the recovery was simply too much for it to be useful as a tech.

Am I digging to much or could it actually be faster now compared to the e3 demo version?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It is rather funny how Luigi was implemented into the Castlevania trailer. The poor guy was literally powerless against those monsters.

Dan

Smash Lord
Anyone else find it weird Sakurai acted like Chrom and Dark Samus were shoe-ins? I thought Chrom faded heavily after Smash Wii U, and Dark Samus wasn't even a top Echo request iirc (but still wanted); like all the buzz was Shadow and Isabelle.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Anyone else find it weird Sakurai acted like Chrom and Dark Samus were shoe-ins? I thought Chrom faded heavily after Smash Wii U, and Dark Samus wasn't even a top Echo request iirc (but still wanted); like all the buzz was Shadow and Isabelle.
They were both expected and popular characters. Doesn't surprise me.

Honestly, they were two fairly easy to see coming and heavily guessed about. So his reaction is pretty accurate.

Shroob

Sup?
I kind of hope people stop taking Vergeben so seriously after this direct. To me most of his "leaks" just seem like simple guesses and common sense. It's amazing how quickly people came to worship him after just a few things right.

My point:
1. You were an idiot if you didn't think ice climbers were coming back. It was so obvious.

2. Snake is a fan favorite character who brings a lot of people into the smash community and makes a ton of money for Nintendo. Not to mention he's a gigantic gaming icon. It definitely would be harder to predict snake but I think it's safe to say Sakurai would have done anything to get snake back in smash.

3. Ridley is one of the most consistently requested characters to date and has an overwhelming amount of support. I know Sakurai said he wouldn't work in smash but along with inkling he was still by far the most obvious choice for a new character. And Sakurai obviously knew that.

4. Simon Belmont was a given. Come on, everyone I know who plays smash was predicting Simon long before the Vergeben leak. There aren't many other characters with moveset potential and Nintendo history quite like Simon Belmont.

Please let me know why I'm wrong because I would honestly love to be able to believe Vergeben's leaks. But to me it just seems like he's making the easiest and most obvious guesses and constantly playing it safe. Also I didn't want to include this because I'm not sure if its true, so correct me if I'm wrong, But I heard Vergeben said something about there being no DK characters in the base roster. If that's true then he's definitely lost some credibility after that direct.
1: No one's denying that Ice Climbers were coming back, that much was a given.

2: Konami has been on a bit of a stink for, well the longest time now. Between firing Kojima, leaving the Metal Gear franchise with......survive....... and making Castlevania into Pachinkoslots, the company has basically been anything but gamer friendly. Snake is a gaming icon, but here's the thing, we know Kojima wanted Snake in Smash4(At least, I believe that interview is still touted as true), but Sakurai didn't, most likely due to the legal mumbo jumbo it would entail.

Now does that mean Snake was 'impossible'? No, absolutely not, but at the same time, it wouldn't surprise me if Snake went through a lot of red tape, especially since his series icon changed from the foxhound logo to the !

3: The biggest problem with Ridley by and large has been his size. Sakurai even says now that he 'made it work' this time, but I don't think you were here when people saw new Ridley. Some people legit thought he looked TOO SMALL.

Of course, Ridley is a HUGE star and deserved to get in Smash, and every fake leak throws in Ridley because 'hurr durr Ridley', so while I can't confirm or deny it helps the leak, his size has always been an issue.

4: No, Simon wasn't 'a given'. People were already SUPER sketchy on Snake even coming back, and if Snake couldn't be in, then Simon obviously wasn't going to get in either. The only reason people started touting Simon en-masse was due to Verg.

And no, Verg had only 'heard' from a person that "No DK", he didn't stand by that claim since said person got that information from a random 4chan leak.

Besides, at the end of the day, Verg has only promised 2 characters who have yet to be shown, Isabelle from Animal Crossing, and a Gen 7 mon' that's not Decidueye, Mimikyu or Lycanroc.

Mimikyu got knocked out of the race today, so that's 1/3, and I think a new Pokemon character is almost a given to be frank.

I'm not saying Verg is right but, he only has 2 characters left anyway, so whether he's right or he's wrong, it doesn't 'really' matter when he doesn't even have that much info to give anyway.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I'm very perplexed about the new classic mode. Rather than combining the randomness of Melee and Brawl, they trashed them and returned to the predictability of Super Smash Bros. 64. WTF!?

Jonn

Smash Apprentice
Historic Rival of Pit and Palutena is Medusa
Medusa would just be an echo fighter of Palutena. Sakurai MADE Kid Icarus Uprising, so Hades would be far more suitable. In that game Medusa wasn't memorable at all compared to Hades. Even Pyrrhon would be a cooler pick.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I'm very perplexed about the new classic mode. Rather than combining the randomness of Melee and Brawl, they trashed them and returned to the predictability of Super Smash Bros. 64. WTF!?
I don't mind to be honest.

Classic mode is fun.

Classic mode with 70+ characters is tedious.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Medusa would just be an echo fighter of Palutena. Sakurai MADE Kid Icarus Uprising, so Hades would be far more suitable. In that game Medusa wasn't memorable at all compared to Hades. Even Pyrrhon would be a cooler pick.
Well, I disagree. Not really much to say beyond that

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Doesn't matter if Hades was made by Sakurai or not. If he's going for a "rival", he'd pick Medusa. If he wants a Villain, Medusa or Hades work. He has some biases, but don't read too much into the idea of him making the game as some ironclad thing.

In fact, the reason we had a lot of Uprising content was because it was super easy to port over, not bias. Keep that in mind.

Medusa is still the most memorable villain of the Kid Icarus series regardless. Hades is cool, but not as memorable. He's a one-game wonder, and a bit overrated in that way.

Jonn

Smash Apprentice
Doesn't matter if Hades was made by Sakurai or not. If he's going for a "rival", he'd pick Medusa. If he wants a Villain, Medusa or Hades work. He has some biases, but don't read too much into the idea of him making the game as some ironclad thing.

In fact, the reason we had a lot of Uprising content was because it was super easy to port over, not bias. Keep that in mind.

Medusa is still the most memorable villain of the Kid Icarus series regardless. Hades is cool, but not as memorable. He's a one-game wonder, and a bit overrated in that way.

Lol JK. I don't understand what exactly is memorable about Medusa. Did she really have a large presence in the NES/GB Kid Icarus games (I can't imagine anyone really having a memorable presence like that in a retro game). All the other bosses that came after Medusa were more memorable than her in Kid Icarus Uprising (Even Thanatos). Palutena is already not a popular character in Smash, but she's way more popular than Medusa in the fandom, so I think having another fighter like her in Smash would be a mistake. That's my opinion. I would rather have a really unique fighter like King K. Rool than someone who would fight similar to Palutena.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Lol JK. I don't understand what exactly is memorable about Medusa. Did she really have a large presence in the NES/GB Kid Icarus games (I can't imagine anyone really having a memorable presence like that in a retro game). All the other bosses that came after Medusa were more memorable than her in Kid Icarus Uprising (Even Thanatos). Palutena is already not a popular character in Smash, but she's way more popular than Medusa in the fandom, so I think having another fighter like her in Smash would be a mistake. That's my opinion. I would rather have a really unique fighter like King K. Rool than someone who would fight similar to Palutena.
When you're "argument" is based on something as arbitrary as "cooler" or "memorable" there isn't anything to say.

Top Bottom