• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. to appear at San Diego Comic-Con (Special Surpise, but don't get your hopes up)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Comic Con has evolved far being just comic books. Mortal Kombat is supposed to have something announced there this year.
Ermac please
So what were all expecting is a Ness reveal as it's Mother's 25th Anniversary on the final day of Comic Con...? It all makes perfect sense...

OH MY GOD PLEASE BE TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We gotta grasp the straws until it happens

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Maybe Mother 3 and Lucas confirmed? ....i can dream...

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
What day exactly is the 3DS tournament. I'm planning on being there. I live pretty close and it seems that I don't need a badge.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
A ness and/or lucas reveal would be way too obvious with anniversary. So it probably won't happen :p, unless sakurai is using reverse psychology where he thinks he can make us think "It won't happen cause he never reveals on anniversaries so he won't reveal lucas or ness" and actually reveals them.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Revealing Ness and / or Lucas on the 25th anniversary of Mother is just too good to be true.

But if that really does happen then my faith in Nintendo's attitude toward the Mother series will be renewed :)

Metallaeus

Smash Apprentice
I just want it to be something, anything. Like, any information at all about the game that we already don't know about. Or else this is gonna be totally unhype :C

DANICK

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0619-4467-3811
I hopping for Ness, Lucas, Porky and another veteran (one of them is already good)

Delicious Tears

Smash Journeyman
Guys, my friend at Namco Bandai told me that Rock Knight is going to be revealed at Comic Con, and he is the most OP Smash character ever because he instantly wins every match, no matter what.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Knowing Sakurai we'll probably not see a character at Comic Con and then randomly get one in the middle of the week.

Senario

Smash Ace
Wildest dreams -> Pro players playing competitively to show that the game has changed a lot since E3 and it is offensive/fun to watch as a competitive game. None of this campy defensive play that is boring to watch.

Actuality -> Character reveal probably. Not that I care too much, all the characters I do care about have been revealed already.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Wildest dreams -> Pro players playing competitively to show that the game has changed a lot since E3 and it is offensive/fun to watch as a competitive game. None of this campy defensive play that is boring to watch.

Actuality -> Character reveal probably. Not that I care too much, all the characters I do care about have been revealed already.
I think you mixed up the positions of Actuality and Wildest Dreams ;)

Senario

Smash Ace
I think you mixed up the positions of Actuality and Wildest Dreams ;)
Nah I got it right :p. We haven't really seen quality play from Pros yet besides grand finals of the invitational. And that was disappointingly like brawl's metagame of very campy playstyles. Free for alls were kinda chaotic to tell much besides a few small things like PPMD's Mario doing two up airs in one hop.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Nah I got it right :p. We haven't really seen quality play from Pros yet besides grand finals of the invitational. And that was disappointingly like brawl's metagame of very campy playstyles. Free for alls were kinda chaotic to tell much besides a few small things like PPMD's Mario doing two up airs in one hop.
Well, we're gonna get more info at the tournament so you might not end up having to be disappointed after all.

Though for the sake of refraining my hopes from going up, I'm not gonna expect anything like a character reveal.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
The Invitational Grand Finals were fun to watch. And EdgeLucas is right, a character reveal would be more exciting than a gameplay update :/

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Interested to see what comes about but I'm certainly not going to start making assumptions.

spd12

Smash Cadet
NNID
PinkDodecahedron
3DS FC
0104-0418-0459
I don't think we'll see any big character reveals, maybe a few old veterans perhaps.

What I think might be neat is if they announce Melee being ported to Wii U, bundled with every copy of the Wii U version. That game is beloved, and I can see that being a really big incentive. I'd call that a special surprise.

Something along those lines - not so much new content for the upcoming game, but some exciting bonus thing.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
well, since the new challanger banners are out of the site, I think that a new challanger is quite likely. i doubt a newcomer though... probably we will get an juicy hype veteran (such as revamped ganondorf, ness, one of the space animals or snake)

I don't think i need to explain why revamped ganondorf would be hype. ness is the last of O12, mother anniversary. one or 2 of teh space animals because they are fan favorites and it's not 100% clear if both of them are coming back (I doubt one would be cut though) and snake because eveyone thinks that he is out for some reason or another, plus third party.

I really have a hunch that will be snake though. they can put a cheap trailer like the sonic one, Snake is a character that probably is well known by what I assume are comicon attendats and since Kojima will be there, he can even make the announcment himslef to up the hype.

Buttt couldalso be updated gameplay and character in teh website just a little after

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
well, since the new challanger banners are out of the site, I think that a new challanger is quite likely. i doubt a newcomer though... probably we will get an juicy hype veteran (such as revamped ganondorf, ness, one of the space animals or snake)

I don't think i need to explain why revamped ganondorf would be hype. ness is the last of O12, mother anniversary. one or 2 of teh space animals because they are fan favorites and it's not 100% clear if both of them are coming back (I doubt one would be cut though) and snake because eveyone thinks that he is out for some reason or another, plus third party.

I really have a hunch that will be snake though. they can put a cheap trailer like the sonic one, Snake is a character that probably is well known by what I assume are comicon attendats and since Kojima will be there, he can even make the announcment himslef to up the hype.

Buttt couldalso be updated gameplay and character in teh website just a little after
The more people forget about Jigglypuff the better.

Renji64

Smash Lord
That was a major letdown to see the 1st 1v1 played like that smh.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
shiiit, i just forgot her as an O12... in my defense i only started liking jigglypuff gameplay from melee onwards XD (I really don't think she is being cut either, sinceit looks like an easy character to develop, and i don't think 6 poke reps are that imposible.)

KatKit

Smash Lord
Quick question: Does anyone know how to sign up for the SDCC tournament?

I did great at Best Buy twice, and I won every match I played at E3. I'm not bragging but I definitely want to prove something in a more competitive environment. New game. New people might come out of nowhere and win things like this. I want to be one of those people lol.

Anyways, I think we'll get a few announcements. Maybe a new character and vet. If Sakurai showed up for the tournament again, that'd be sweet. I still have my Invitational voting card... I'd bring it and hold up Kirby again if I see him.

Last edited:

Senario

Smash Ace
That was a major letdown to see the 1st 1v1 played like that smh.
Agreed. I mean we shouldn't have expected anything different because of the ruleset and Zero not primarily being a melee player but defensive play should not pay out that much when H box was getting in as much as he could. Anything to win but honestly the ruleset was kinda silly. Wish the first 1v1 match played out differently. We wouldn't have had boos in the crowd if the game rewarded offense more like melee does.

FancysaurusRex

Smash Apprentice
I find it weird people use the original 12 as irrefutable proof of Ness' return, then proceed to believe Jigglypuff will get cut. Even if one of the O12 got cut, it's already become clear it would probably be Ness, since Sakurai has tried to cut him for the last couple of games

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
The fact that they hinted at surprises automatically convinces me that we won't see anything character reveal-wise, newcomer or veteran. Remember during the Smash Invitational at E3 where they teased surprises and it just ended up being Sakurai appearing on stage and pointless celebrity cameos?

Maybe there'll something after Comic-Con, but not during it I'm afraid (watch me be completely wrong on this, that reverse psychology stuff works wonders sometimes).

SonicMario

Smash Master
I find it weird people use the original 12 as irrefutable proof of Ness' return, then proceed to believe Jigglypuff will get cut. Even if one of the O12 got cut, it's already become clear it would probably be Ness, since Sakurai has tried to cut him for the last couple of games
Ness was only going to be cut in Melee had Mother 3 not been delayed. There was no sign that Sakurai planned on cutting him in Brawl. The "Up until Now" situation proved to just either be a mistranslation on the english site or perhaps even a troll move on Sakurai's part until we found out Ness was indeed returning again.

FancysaurusRex

Smash Apprentice
Ness was only going to be cut in Melee had Mother 3 not been delayed. There was no sign that Sakurai planned on cutting him in Brawl. The "Up until Now" situation proved to just either be a mistranslation on the english site or perhaps even a troll move on Sakurai's part until we found out Ness was indeed returning again.
Oh! Then I am incorrect. Nonetheless, I don't think original 12 status is enough anymore to guarantee a spot. Especially because Sakurai has already shown a willingness to cut an o12 character. I think that these characters, especially Jigglypuff, have been returning not because they were in 64, but due to Sakurai's personal preference and their uniqueness.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Oh! Then I am incorrect. Nonetheless, I don't think original 12 status is enough anymore to guarantee a spot. Especially because Sakurai has already shown a willingness to cut an o12 character. I think that these characters, especially Jigglypuff, have been returning not because they were in 64, but due to Sakurai's personal preference and their uniqueness.
Maybe so, but until that happens there's nothing that really proves the Original 12 being permanent mainstays is a farfetch'd idea. If both Ness and Jigglypuff return it only furthers the theory that anyone in SSB64 is as set as stone as Smash Bros. own edition of the "ten commandments". Cutting a character after them being in three games would be a dumb move anyway though. If there was a cut of either Ness or Jigglypuff. There would be riots (As far as internet ones go, I don't think it'd create mass hysteria offline). And likely would be demanded that they return either as DLC or they'd even have demand to be in the next game if that's not possible. I think the Original 12 are that deeply-rooted into the fanbase by this point for there to be a legitimate anger throughout alot of it if any of the two that aren't confirmed yet aren't playable.

Considering Sakurai hates cuts in-general (The only character he may had some record of wanting to cut was with Pichu) when we've seen that Mewtwo, Roy, and even Dr. Mario were planned to return to Brawl. And how he expressed that he would like to formally apologize to those who have their characters possibly cut in Smash 4's development. Meaning he knows just how much people care about alot of the characters that have made it into Smash. He probably also prefers that he keeps as many people in as possible. The Original 12 being specifically special in his eyes perhaps.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I swear if the surprise is ****ing Mango or any of those guys showing up, I'll be pissed. No one want to see that crap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom