• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Melee Or 64?

N1N3

Smash Rookie
We all know that SMB:Melee sold billions but alot of people say that the Nintendo 64 version is way better than Melee, i have yet to hear what ppl are saying abot BRAWL i dont have a Wii but i wish so reply back after u read this post

Thank You,
N1N3_OwNZ-U_B33Y@7CH

Fletch

Smash Master
That's not a coherent sentence, but mostly everyone on here will probably prefer Melee, as it's a better competitive game.

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
this is posted in the melee section of smash boards, and it is the more played game on the boards. so you're gonna get the answer of melee. It's all opinion

diathis

Smash Rookie
Smash 64 was a great game with great fun but you can be really good and get screwed over by a really lame combo, like a really long repetition short hopped dair (i know you can tech out of it but its an example) with Kirby but in melee there is so much more like combo's, tactics and stratagies so im going with melee... 64 is just a casual game i think

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
still, definitely 64 EVERY character was made even there was no "tiers" it was just a simple and fun game with a hilarious TV commercial.....anyone remember...."Imagine me and you...and you and me...i think about you day and night...its only right....."
Kirby and Pikachu were Top Tier
Link was Bottom Tier
There were no such things as meteor canceling....

Prince of fire; you don't know what you're talking about. just sayin'
Quoted for dang monkey butt slapping truth.

pablovirus

Smash Journeyman
still, definitely 64 EVERY character was made even there was no "tiers" it was just a simple and fun game with a hilarious TV commercial.....anyone remember...."Imagine me and you...and you and me...i think about you day and night...its only right....."
What a bunch of COW****... Samus and link are bottom tier in 64, pikachu, kirby and ness are top.

Anyway, I prefer Melee, it's a much deeper, so many ATs and better physics. You can play on Battlefield and F.D. without using cheats.... Melee has so many great stages (some Stages suck though). More characters, better graphics, a better 1P mode (not just "classic" anymore), trophies, a lot of special modes for those who enjoy them.
Side B, Air Dodge and Spot dodge too. 4 directions in which to throw. Better DI, doing aerials and smashing with the C-stick. L-cancel does not remove all the lag after landing (the way it shoud be ¬¬ ). Melee has much more to offer than the previous game. <3 Melee

The N64 version is awesome too, dont get me wrong, I just think Melee is way better. SSBM is the best game ever and SSB64 the second :p

onegoal...heaven

Smash Journeyman
I like ssb64 more mostly because there are more combos in ssb64 than melee. They are more versatile because of the longer hitstun and the diff knockbacks. Also, the stages make the combos more versatile. Melee is so advanced that you can't make cool combos like ssb because of DI and the stages, you can't use the stages for cool wall of pain combos. The combos of ssb64 are generally better than melee but that doesn't make it more balanced. The combos are better because the game ain't as balanced as melee, as in not much DI (unless u know how to slide DI or use keys), there aren't wall techs, the game is generally slower making combos easier, hitstun is longer, can't DI outta throws, etc. etc. Still, I like both games but ssb64 wins my vote.

onegoal...heaven

Smash Journeyman
in ssb64, the tiers actually make no difference. The game mostly depended on the person's skill. The tiers helped a lil...only a lil...not as much as melee. My friend Yuki is a rapist with link and she knows how to use one. Dreday is one of the best samus players and boy samus is good. As my saying goes....the lower the tier, the higher the metagame is used for playing.

onegoal...heaven

Smash Journeyman
Lol ya see, even Thino thinks so. Again, the lower the tier, the higher the metagame used to play. Tiers rlly didn't matter in ssb64. Falcon wasn't jesus >___>.

Xanthyr

Smash Journeyman
The original-That game started everything without it, smash brothers: melee...would not exist...end of discussion.
Just because you love your friend, doesn't mean you have to love their parents. I loved 64 when it was here, but I like Melee a lot more now. There will always be tiers, even if a game has as little as 64 did. Even two characters only in a game, one will be better than the other. The fact of the matter is: You play a worse character, you have to be more skilled and be the better player. Just because an awesome guy plays a terrible character doesn't mean the character is any more valuable.

Have your own opinions about why you like the game, but sometimes your reasons are a little weak. Your reason could be, "Just 'cause." as to why you like 64 more. Whatever any case may be, enjoy the game.

Egret

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps people think the ssb64 characters are all balanced because Isai videos make them all look amazing.

:p

Thino

Smash Master
yes , because isai is the only ssb64 player in the world and the tier list is :
top tier:
pikachu,kirby,fox ,ness,falcon,mario,luigi,yoshi,jiggly,dk,link,samus

onegoal...heaven

Smash Journeyman
actually Xanthyr there are reasons to back low tiers being awesome. Some low tiers have advantages such as the teleport which samus uses. Also, Some chars have better matchups. An awesome player can make a low tier char high tier because he uses the char at the highest metagame. Samus is a char that can easily be top tier, which depends on your skill. Her moves back it up too. Just cause the tier list tells who's better doesn't mean that it's right all the time. I think the tier list means who's the easiest to play with a higher chance of winning. Even if Link is low, you just have to think more and work harder...Ya link is low tier because of his lag and bad up b but you can exploit them. Use mindgames more, use glitchs more, use the bomb recovery move and use moves that don't have much lag. Easy as that. Tiers in ssb aren't muc of a diff. Ya, they tell who's cheap and stuff but in ssb every char is considered cheap and there are so much glitches and exploits for each char that it messes up the tier list.

Egret

Smash Journeyman
yes , because isai is the only ssb64 player in the world and the tier list is :
top tier:
pikachu,kirby,fox ,ness,falcon,mario,luigi,yoshi,jiggly,dk,link,samus

The second statement is mostly true (samus is usually considered to be better than link) but I'm betting you know the first one isn't so...

Xanthyr

Smash Journeyman
actually Xanthyr there are reasons to back low tiers being awesome. Some low tiers have advantages such as the teleport which samus uses. Also, Some chars have better matchups. An awesome player can make a low tier char high tier because he uses the char at the highest metagame. Samus is a char that can easily be top tier, which depends on your skill. Her moves back it up too. Just cause the tier list tells who's better doesn't mean that it's right all the time. I think the tier list means who's the easiest to play with a higher chance of winning. Even if Link is low, you just have to think more and work harder...Ya link is low tier because of his lag and bad up b but you can exploit them. Use mindgames more, use glitchs more, use the bomb recovery move and use moves that don't have much lag. Easy as that. Tiers in ssb aren't muc of a diff. Ya, they tell who's cheap and stuff but in ssb every char is considered cheap and there are so much glitches and exploits for each char that it messes up the tier list.
I didn't mention anything about a Tier List. I said that tiers will always be there unless there is only a single character to play in a game. I reiterate myself: A player can rock the house with a character that is considered poor. I'm not arguing that. You'll never hear me say, "Lololol Fox beats Bowser no mater what durhurr". I in fact pretty much only play characters that are considered low or bottom tier by others. My only exception is Ganondorf, so I support those characters. Not for the fact that they're low tier or where they are placed on a tier list, but because I like playing them.

So, if you like playing them, then we're in the same boat, but recognize I said that tiers will always exist because the characters are different.

MR333

Smash Cadet
most gamers (including myself) will prefer melee usually. but i have seen that a few of my friends (non gamers) prefered 64 because it was slower play and less complicated.

Kraken

Smash Cadet
Amazing, you're using nostalgia and preference as a johns in Melee.

Kraken

Smash Cadet
What is with you and johns? And he's talking about his friends not himself.
Why must you constantly troll my arguments? I'm merely pointing out the numerous johns to help the tournament scene, and you seem to constantly forum stalk me.

It seems that you can't help but to respond to my posts, as if you have some form of compulsive need.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Melee is better, but 64 is very overlooked. It's a completely different game from Melee, also very fun and unique in its own right.

The Star King

Smash Hero
melee is way better IMO and ppl who go to melee discussion probably like melee better bad place for opinions kid

_Phloat_

Smash Champion

Tiers were there, and very defined. Matter of fact, you can't really make a game that has more than one character and doesn't have tiers...

Sorry if someone already addressed this, but I saw it and hit quote, this is a common misconception.

Top Bottom