• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Melee 2 - Should Smash 4 be closely similar (gameplay wise) to Melee?

Should Smash 4 be closely similar (gameplay wise) to Melee?

• Total voters

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
Considering a ton of players want to see some of the more "advanced" competitive techniques from Melee return, I have to ask, what is the general consensus?

Do you want Smash 4 to be similar to Melee in terms of gameplay (wavedashing, L-canceling, SHFFLs), or be completely different?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Care where you go with this in terms of discussion, just a reminder.

I want a middle ground between the two because I want a game that can take the best from both and put them together.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I don't think it necessarily should be, but I would definitely enjoy the game more if it felt like an expansion of Melee, a bit like Project M.

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
I'd rather a whole new experience, with the long lasting ability of melee.

I enjoyed the hell out of brawl but that only lasted like 6 months and never went back, I enjoyed melee for years on and off. But I don't see the need for melee to sound like it's the only smash that should exist. And I loved brawl for the time that I enjoyed it, but I'm not some brawl purist either. I just want a game I can actually give a **** about. @_@

So either a fair middle ground like what's commonly said or a new feel altogether waiting to be discovered that gives the game it's "depth" that'll make it last long like melee. From what I'm hearing of the game, I feel like we'll get a vague mix of both, but that might not be such a great thing either we'll how long it lasts after it's hype dies down after 3 months.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
I'm the opposite of most, Melee got boring to me faster than Brawl. So I want a balance between the two.

D

Deleted member 245254

I have to be honest, when I go back and play melee I miss a lot of the things Brawl did right that Melee didn't.

I think ultimately I have faith in Sakurai to come up with a new experience unlike either game, with both the content-filled richness of Brawl, and the lasting appeal of Melee.

Why on earth would you want a rehash?

im just peachy

Smash Ace
NNID
hiimej
3DS FC
3196-3456-0998
i would like the game to be a bit faster, but sakurai has mentioned how he doesn't want it to be very competitive, and that it's more of a party game than a fighting game. lmaoooo

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
I just want it to be it's own game with it's own metagame to find. To me that is half the fun of picking up a new game is that I don't know all the ways it's mechanics work from day 1

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'd rather it become its own thing, if I want to play Melee or Brawl I'll play those games, they're already well established anyways.

Last edited:

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
I think it should lean more towards Melee than Brawl. Don't get me wrong, I want tons of stuff from Melee gone, like L-Cancel and some RNG elements, like Peach picking up bombs, Luigi getting missfires, G&W with his 1 - 9 hammer. There are several better ways to implement these things (like Project Melee did).

However I want it to be fast. It's very possible to make the new Smash game fast without L-cancel and Wavedashing, as long as the game promotes an aggressive playstyle the game will probably be fast (Brawl did NOT promote and aggressive playstyle). And I do want most recoveries to be toned down a bit, so that gimping becomes an important part of the game.

There are, however, some good things in Brawl I'd like to see as well. Buffering is a wonderful system, because it doesn't force player to be frame perfect with timing inputs after lag like Melee does. This is one of Melee's big problems, the character feels unresponsive for a lot new players because they input stuff during lag and nothing happends (I had some trouble with this as well when I first started to pick up Melee).

No matter how Smash 4 ends up, I'm sure it'll be a great game. I don't want Melee 2 or Brawl 2. If I want Melee I simply play Melee, the same goes for Brawl, and Smash 64 for that matter.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd rather it become its own thing, if I want to play Melee or Brawl I'll play those games, they're already well established anyways.
I think it should lean more towards Melee than Brawl. Don't get me wrong, I want tons of stuff from Melee gone, like L-Cancel and some RNG elements, like Peach picking up bombs, Luigi getting missfires, G&W with his 1 - 9 hammer. There are several better ways to implement these things (like Project Melee did).

However I want it to be fast. It's very possible to make the new Smash game fast without L-cancel and Wavedashing, as long as the game promotes an aggressive playstyle the game will probably be fast (Brawl did NOT promote and aggressive playstyle). And I do want most recoveries to be toned down a bit, so that gimping becomes an important part of the game.

There are, however, some good things in Brawl I'd see to see as well. Buffering is a wonderful system, because it doesn't force player to be frame perfect with timing inputs after lag like Melee does. This is one of Melee's big problems, the character feels unresponsive for a lot new players because they input stuff during lag and nothing happends (I had some trouble with this as well when I first started to pick up Melee).

No matter how Smash 4 ends up, I'm sure it'll be a great game. I don't want Melee 2 or Brawl 2. If I want Melee I simply play Melee, the same goes for Brawl, and Smash 64 for that matter.
My opinion has been :4greninja:'d

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I want something that is great in its own way, just as Brawl was amazing in its own way.

:059:

Renji64

Smash Lord
I want something similar to melee the fast paced action was so fun now smash is becoming less and less fun to play or even watch. Sakurai said melee is the sharpest in the series i would like something like that or at least a few basic things that would mix in well with it's brawl extention direction it is going.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
I want Smash 4 to be it's own game. It shouldn't be a second Melee or a second Brawl. It should take elements that made Melee great and elements that made Brawl great in order to make a great 4th addition to the smash series.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Melee in my opinion is one of the greatest games ever made and while I did enjoy Brawl Sheik style more then Melee's overall Brawl change mechanics made the game worst. So with that said it's pretty obvious I would prefer a game closer to Melee then Brawl.

pickle962

Smash Lord
So long as its fast enough and fluid enough to feel like its distanced itself from Brawl, there is enough depth to make it competitive viable, the roster doesn't have another MetaKnight situation, and defensive play is toned down quite a bit actually forcing would be campers to throw themselves into the fracas rather than just run like a little ***** for the majority of the match, that's all I need for Smash 4 to succeed as its own thing.

Yori

Banned via Warnings
I want it to be a Brawl people play at tournaments

Last edited:

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
My vote is to be it's own thing.

No crappy Melee glitchiness or Brawl floatyness.

And so far it looks great.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
As much as I love Melee, I believe there is room for improvement. Brawl should have built upon the groundwork that Melee laid out and given us one of the greatest fighting games ever. But instead, the game took a huge step back and reverted to the slower, party game style of the original Smash, which for people like myself, wasn't a good idea. I've said this so many times but slowing down the characters' movement and simplifying the combat, does not make for a more satisfying game. There was nothing alienating about Melee's mechanics. It was accessible to newcomers (even people like myself, who are hopeless with fighting games) but also rewarded those who made good use of its mechanics. It was a near perfect game.

I'm not asking for a remake of Melee, I want a Smash Bros game that offers a fast paced and rewarding combat system. Simplifying the game for casuals wasn't necessary and I never heard anyone complain about Melee's speed before Brawl's release.

Last edited:

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav
Gameplay is closer to Brawl than it is Melee, but it is very different. I think its perfect the way demos have shown it. Looks great so far.

Kay kay

Just take the time to admire my signature
I want the game to different in its own way, not to be compared to other games so easily. But if it had to be similar to one of the games, I would like it to be brawl, with the speed of melee.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
It shouldn't be like Melee, and it shouldn't be like Brawl, however, the game should offer what made Melee such a great game: options.
I'd like to see a more horizontally oriented Smash Bros. where not everyone's best approach options are from the air. Intricate ground combos and interactions and so forth, more like traditional fighters. Not that the aerial approaches would need much changing, just more ground options and universally increased gravity.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'd like to see a more horizontally oriented Smash Bros. where not everyone's best approach options are from the air. Intricate ground combos and interactions and so forth, more like traditional fighters. Not that the aerial approaches would need much changing, just more ground options and universally increased gravity.
I more or less agree with that sentiment.
I'm maining Mac for a reason.

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
I'd rather see Smash 4 play to the strengths of the franchise than worry about which installment any particular gameplay element comes from. It's going to feel like a different game regardless.

Jiggy37

Smash Apprentice
For me it's ultimately not about the gameplay speed, the risk-reward for offensive play, advanced techniques, or any of that. Those are specific means to an end, but what I want is the end itself: easy to learn, tough to master.

In 64 and Melee I was always outclassed (severely in Melee), but that just means there's room for me to improve. The game's quality grows dynamically because I grow as a player. In Brawl, I got bored after a few months (until Minus happened) because I couldn't sense myself improving. Characters felt so similar in the air that my skill level barely changed no matter who I picked and anything I learned with one character carried over to at least six others.

The true goal is a skill ceiling that's higher than my own head, but there are many possible ways to make that happen. Smash 4 just needs to pick at least a few of them.

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
The lack of a "none of the above" option is disappointing.
Wow. I forget to include the "All of the above" and the "None of the above" options in my polls at times. Thanks for reminding me.

No seriously, this isn't sarcasm. In my honest opinion, all polls should include those two options.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
In all honesty, I would like it to be slightly similar to Melee, but just mainly in momentum since characters like Falcon felt really strong with it. However, I rather have the game not pick any side and just play like a new Smash Bros. The general borrowing of the better mechanics of the previous games are fine (dodging in Melee, footstooling in Brawl), but nothing to the point it's heavily like any iteration of Smash Bros games we played so far.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
The "balance of both" option is very appealing to me, especially since I already competitively play SSF2, which has that among its goals and has proven to be pretty engaging. SSB4 will be very easy to adjust to for me if it gets the balance right.

Top Bottom