• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Generation (Using Game Maker)

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i cant really imagine game maker making a fighter like smash

i mean its possible, but thatd be a lot of work. label me as skeptical

(b4 ppl comment on me, yes im very familiar with gm lol)

Godzilla 10K

Smash Rookie
It's not hard. Just an above-average understanding of Multiplayer, platform, and damage dealing. If you take the time to making it, it's not as hard as it seems. You can press multiple buttons!!! Now that's an achievement in GM, lol.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
It's not hard. Just an above-average understanding of Multiplayer, platform, and damage dealing. If you take the time to making it, it's not as hard as it seems. You can press multiple buttons!!! Now that's an achievement in GM, lol.
This right here is my #1 worry. You seem to believe you have this deep understanding of smash mechanics, but you also seem to be someone outside the competitive smash arena, meaning you do not know all the subtleties of smash physics.

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
If you're calling the ability to press multiple buttons an achievement then you
may as well call it a day. If the ability to press more than one button at a time is
something that is a serious achievement in a program like game maker, you may
be using the wrong program. I'm sorry, but do you have access to any trigonometry in GM?
And how are you going to manage hitstun? There are so very many variables in SSB, and
I'm not sure you know all of them.

kupo15

Smash Hero
If you're calling the ability to press multiple buttons an achievement then you
may as well call it a day. If the ability to press more than one button at a time is
something that is a serious achievement in a program like game maker, you may
be using the wrong program. I'm sorry, but do you have access to any trigonometry in GM?
And how are you going to manage hitstun? There are so very many variables in SSB, and
I'm not sure you know all of them.
Heck, I even thought I knew a lot about smash physics but since I started on the brawl+ project, I realized I knew much less than I thought...and Im somewhat in the smash scene (school) but nonetheless a competitive player...

Corigames

Smash Hero
Chalk at least one more up to failed smash bros fan-made games 6_6

Seriously. Once a week someone says they are going to do this. The only one that I can remember actually reaching completion was.... Smash Flash, I think was its name.

Anyway, please prove me wrong and finish it.

Godzilla 10K

Smash Rookie
This game will be made, but since you guys seem like you expect this to be a 100% remastered Brawl with new characters, stages, etc., I can guarantee right now it won't live up to your expectations, but it will be finished.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
This game will be made, but since you guys seem like you expect this to be a 100% remastered Brawl with new characters, stages, etc., I can guarantee right now it won't live up to your expectations, but it will be finished.
We're not questioning your ability to make a Brawl equivalent. We're questioning your ability to make a game that is even remotely deep since you don't seem to fully understand what makes the smash series so deep.

As for me, I personally question your ability to finish because I've seen dozens of projects come and go. None of them reached fruition. You can call me wrong all you want, but your only option is to finish. ;) Until that time, I am right. ^_^

Frown

poekmon
Mic_128 said:
Smash Bros: Betting Contest

Fifth Round.

Will Smash Bros. Generation ever be finished?

YES

VS

NO

Bet any number of points!

Right answer if you voted YES: 100 times points
Right answer if you voted NO: 1.001 times points
Wrong answer: You lose all points

I will post the results on Thursday.
What would you vote for?

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Hey, make Gardevoir playable, You can get all the sprites you need from Pokesho's fighting game, they are very detailed and work well.

Might be a few bits above or below the other sprites though, you decide,

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
Looks nice, keep up the work. I understand the multiple button issue; I had to deal with that. It's actually not a GM problem, it's a keyboard software quirk that disallows holding multiple buttons in close proximity to each other.

Good luck with this. I hope you've got several years of GM and general game design experience under your belt.

Count Ramsely

Smash Rookie
DUDE! Finally! some one who shares my dream! ...*cricket noises* well not really dream, but for the past couple YEARS i've been messing with Game Maker 6.0 to try and make my own super smash bros game (so far it has some characters including Sonic and Mega man, and others like Mario, you link, captain Falcon, Bowser, Yoshi, Marth and other ones i forgot. and even some levels from Melee. But over all, my game sucks. They can double jump, and move but they cant fight yet, and there are tons of bugs in it, like getting stuck in walls/floors and then instantly falling into the Dark abys and Dying. if anyone know alot about Game Maker and wants to check out my small version then that would be awesome! i was also going to add Arcade Mode and you would fight against Shadow Versions of all the playable Characters (very similar to SSE Dark Characters) PLease let me know if anyone wants to check it out and i'll figure out how to send you the file! -Count Ramsely

Count Ramsely

Smash Rookie
I just checked out the Web site for SSBG it seems to be very Promising and way, way (can i make an emphesis on the way) WAY better than my little rap-tasic Version! XD i didnt get to play it though, i didnt have the YOYO games thingy to be able to. but yeah, i want to be able to play as Haunter! XD and maybe the Skull Kid! XD You Rock, person who made the game! =D

SmashBrosMike

Smash Ace
Glad you like it.

Were sticking with the roster though. Anyway there will be 50 playable. We just can't let you know all of the characters yet. Oh and I am the one who thought of the game. The person who is my friend is making it. Hope you guys enjoy it when it is done. It will be finished in late 2009 or 2010.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I doubt it. I wish I were a gambler. I would totally take bets on this.
I side you with on that. Is there a forum set aside that we can sticky Smashboard Pools for gambling?

I put down $50 on not completing it.

SmashBrosMike

Smash Ace
I doubt it. I wish I were a gambler. I would totally take bets on this.
Why don't you just shut up. It will complete. People like you two always think that. So don't think we won't. So you two just shut it. You kind of guys always think thise.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Why don't you just shut up. It will complete. People like you two always think that. So don't think we won't. So you two just shut it. You kind of guys always think thise.
When one of these games actually gets made then you can say "open mindedness" all you want.

SmashBrosMike

Smash Ace
When one of these games actually gets made then you can say "open mindedness" all you want.
Opinions opinions. Why are you thinking this. I never did anything to you guys and your making fun of me of this for no reason. And to Frown too.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
If you lack the technical expertise to make a halfway professional website, there's no way you're going to come with up a game that has even half the complexity of even the original Smash Brothers.

Phelix08

Smash Apprentice
Have you made double jumping?

Lemme know how that goes.
Double jumping is easy as pie...

And the same with a win screen and percentages. Why do you seem to think they're impossible? If you want I'll whip up a little game with all of those things in them. Smash is object oriented programming, which is exactly what gamemaker is. It makes it very easy to do most of the things the same way that nintendo did them. Granted, it is limited, but none of those would be any problem.

Still...I doubt I'll be too impressed. The first thing I did when I started playing with gamemaker is try to make a smash-esque game, and it turns out it's a lot more complex then i thought it was.

It's not so much the tool that people mock as much as it tends to appeal to a certain inexperienced game-designer crowd.
^^Just saw that, and you're right.

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
Well for a start you should know in detail how the knockback system works.

I.e. x and y knockback are separate components, x knockback is not constantly decreasing but
rather remains constant until the character stops being in hitstun (well in brawl airdodging breaks hitstun
but this is the general idea) after which the character's x speed tends to 0 over a fixed period of time.

A common mistake in smash fangames is to assume x speed is constantly decreasing starting immediately after being hit. Application of this leads to weird upward curving trajectories (brawl sandbag, brawl soccer ball)

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
I hope you do hitboxes right. You should probably use a separate object for attacks that you can assign variables to like "priority" and give its own sprite for a hitbox (invisible of course).

Making a Smash game sounds like fun, but I've kinda been wanting to get away from fan games and make something all my own.

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
I hope you do hitboxes right. You should probably use a separate object for attacks that you can assign variables to like "priority" and give its own sprite for a hitbox (invisible of course).
Priority isn't a variable XD (not in brawl) it might have been in melee.
In Brawl, priority depends on the size and position of the hitbox.
In Super Nuke Bros, the hitboxes have 7 attributes:

fixed - either true or false - whether the knockback is constant or increases with damage.
dmg - a number (multiplied by staleness) - how much damage percentage the move adds
kbx - a number - horizontal knockback
kby - a number - vertical knockback
power - a small number - how much time the opponent travels with the velocity determined
with "kbx" and "kby". If the knockback is fixed, this has a different formula on the recieving end.
dir - either +1 or -1 - the direction the move sends opponents in relative to your direction.
sound - text - determines the sound e.g. "punch 1"

of course it isn't this easy, I had to code the recieving end, the enemy's collision hitbox,
to be able to get information from the hitter and use it to do actions.

SmashBrosMike

Smash Ace
Okay okay people. I know you think that there is no chance of it being complete. However. I was the one who thought of it. It is a friend of mine who is making it. Trust me he is very good with it knowing how to make it. However if you still don't believe it will be finish. Fine by me. So even if it is made. It may take more years. But who knows. Anyway just letting you all know.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
So even if it is made. It may take more years. But who knows. Anyway just letting you all know.
So even if it is made. It may take more years. But who knows.
So even if it is made. It may take more years.
It may take more years.
That's exactly why people generally think stuff like this never gets finished.

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
Priority isn't a variable XD (not in brawl) it might have been in melee.
In Brawl, priority depends on the size and position of the hitbox.
In Super Nuke Bros, the hitboxes have 7 attributes:
It doesn't have to be an exact Brawl replica. >.>
Your other stuff looks good. Do you have a demo of yours out?

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
The reason I am provoking you in this manner is the fact that these smash clone games pop up about once a week. Lemme make this absolutely clear: None of them have been completed. As a result, they are turning into forum spam. That is why I have a vested interest in this thread. The reason we guys "always think thise" is as I just stated. No one has the proper resume to fully code one of these projects to completion.

Top Bottom