• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Game Cube Controller Available for Pre-Order

CheapMovieMonster

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendaryLink17
3DS FC
1891-1579-9718
Hmph, I've never met a Smasher that didn't have at least one Gamecube controller lying around in their house, so it never crossed my mind a person wouldn't have one at all and would have to buy a new one..
Well,I mean I do have quite a few of them lying around my house but they're all really old ones from when I first got a gamecube MANY years ago and each seems to have some sort of problem, wired ones not responding correctly or at all and wireless ones abrubtly turning off or failing to send inputs to the reciever; honestly I think only one of them works decently enough but that produces problems for other people who may come over and try to play but prefer the GC controller over the Wiimote/CC so I guess I just started adjusting to using the CC to make things easier for local matches and now that I've gotten used to it I don't want to buy a GC controller only to find out that I'm better at using the classic controller.

Shoot, for the most part I just like trying new playstyles, so if the Wii U gamepad can be used with Smash 4 then heck I'll use that too. :b

Last edited:

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Edit: And does anyone know if the adapter will work with Brawl?
There are Mayron(Idk if that's right) Wii U adapters that work with Gamecube Controllers, so I'm positive this will work, as well. The Mayron adapter is plugged into the Wii Remote and is registered as a classic controller albeit being a Gamecube Controller.

Strawhat Jiggs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Evolzar89
would like to see pre order for the adapter its self but still the fact that there is a controler pre order is pretty good.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
It would be much better if it was black with all-silver buttons or white with all-blue buttons.

Will-O-Wisp

Smash Apprentice
The only thing is that the cord looks REALLY short. I know it's designed for an adapter, but I would love to have the logo controller to use with my Wii for PM and Melee too.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
As much as I do like the fact they're bringing back the Gamecube controller for this game, 30$ is almost half of what the game itself will most likely cost, I'm not sure if I should get it and reaquire my familiarity with it or if I should stick with the classic controller which is a decent alternative IMO.
Think about it this way. Gamecube controllers RIGHT NOW.... cost like 40-60$ haha.

Mabataki

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4167-4743-1372
Got a Gamecube from Craigslist that came with 2 controllers and games for the same price. Wont be needing this overpriced novelty item. Also that design is pretty boring. I could get a Sharpie and draw the SSB logo on my controller and make it look better than this. You have got a lot of my money already Nintendo, but this time its not going to work...

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Got a Gamecube from Craigslist that came with 2 controllers and games for the same price. Wont be needing this overpriced novelty item. Also that design is pretty boring. I could get a Sharpie and draw the SSB logo on my controller and make it look better than this. You have got a lot of my money already Nintendo, but this time its not going to work...
We all have said that at one time...

D

Deleted member

I love how there are people who criticize Nintendo for releasing a product that has consistently been in high demand for the Smash community. Any excuse to complain, right?
Got a Gamecube from Craigslist that came with 2 controllers and games for the same price.
It costs less to buy used items from some random person on Craigslist than it does to buy a brand new item from the store? No way!
I could get a Sharpie and draw the SSB logo on my controller and make it look better than this.
Yeah, no.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
Lol I've already preordered my bundle a week ago. They should have a black/teal n a white/teal color controller to match the wii u since that teal is on all the wii u packaging. Mainly bcuz black n teal r amazing. Hell I'll just spray paint mine lol

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
I want more info on the Smash 4 bundle that will come with the adapter and (hopefully) the controller.

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
Lol I've already preordered my bundle a week ago. They should have a black/teal n a white/teal color controller to match the wii u since that teal is on all the wii u packaging. Mainly bcuz black n teal r amazing. Hell I'll just spray paint mine lol
Agreed. I dig the teal controller.:shades:

Meccs

@Meccs_
$30 is pretty fair for a brand new gamecube controller. I mean theyre like $5 used at pawn shops around here but if you need a new one thats a decent price.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Soooo getting this! My current GCN controller is about 6 years old and its time is coming to an end..Gonna feel so nice with a brand new Smash themed GCN controller while playing Smash 4 on my Wii U in HD <3

thebadlamp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thebadlamp2
3DS FC
0963-0296-0917
Eb games in Australia is trying to sell these for $70, looks like I won't be able to get one. UGHHH

Zeppelin

Smash Cadet
I don't know if I'll buy the smash controller since I just bought a white one. I'm assuming that the adapter is compatible with all gamecube controllers right?

Durnehviir

Smash Apprentice
its just the same exact thing as an original gamecube controller and you can get those cheap on amazon or ebay they shouldve atleast put some grip on it like the ps4 controller or some kind of improvement atleast

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
I hope this works with Wii games, but I doubt it. Remember, it said it works as a replacement for the Classic Controller PRO. The CCPro is not compatible with the Wii or 'Wii' mode on Wii U (I tried). So unless I'm missing something, it unfortunately is quite unlikely.

thebadlamp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thebadlamp2
3DS FC
0963-0296-0917
I don't know if I'll buy the smash controller since I just bought a white one. I'm assuming that the adapter is compatible with all gamecube controllers right?
I'm pretty sure, the ports look the same and I read somthing about normal GC controllers working with the adapter so I'm sure it will work the other way around.

luar1609

Smash Cadet
Considering new GC controllers sold for double that not too long ago, $30 a steal.

While I wouldn't put it past them, they never officially confirmed this as far as I know.
Actually, I already reserved said bundle at Gamestop.

Meccs

@Meccs_
The CCPro is not compatible with the Wii or 'Wii' mode on Wii
Huh? I've played Project M on the gamepad with the Classic Controller Pro so I'm not sure what you're talking about.
Unless for some reason by 'CCP' you mean the WiiU Pro Controller.

Last edited:

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Of all the colors, black? I wish we got multiple colors, even the Japanese colors that weren't sold in the US. I guess we'll have to keep ordering them from eBay or finding another place to get them...

Last edited:

BeastMode

Smash Rookie
I Love it! Can't wait for it to come out.I still have my gc controllers but I'm going to buy these anyways just because of the smash logo! ;p

HylianHero0218

Smash Rookie
NNID
Force-of-Courage
3DS FC
2809-8869-5578
I actually liked the way the wiimote and nunchuck played in brawl. it seemed simplified for the game. Starting to learn the controls again in melee though so lets see where it goes

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Hmph, I've never met a Smasher that didn't have at least one Gamecube controller lying around in their house, so it never crossed my mind a person wouldn't have one at all and would have to buy a new one.

The reason Nintendo dropped GC compatibility in future consoles was to keep the price low. The optical drive in the original Wii needed to be extraordinarily complex in order to accept both size discs. It was a real feat of engineering as slot-loading drives that can accept mini-DVDs are very rare. In a backwards-compatible Wii, the optical drive is the single most expensive component in that machine (more so than the CPU or the GPU), which is why Nintendo dropped that feature in later hardware revisions, and went to a standard optical drive that only accepts DVD-sized discs.

The hardware ability to read GameCube discs will never be coming back, ever.
They shouldn't have dropped the controller ports. No excuse for that.

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
Huh? I've played Project M on the gamepad with the Classic Controller Pro so I'm not sure what you're talking about.
Unless for some reason by 'CCP' you mean the WiiU Pro Controller.
Oh, I thought they were the same thing. My bad. I might have a Wii U Pro controller, I figured they were the same.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
They shouldn't have dropped the controller ports. No excuse for that.
Yes, there is. What a lot of smashers don't seem to realize is that we are a minority. Mostly friends think I am the noob for going the hassle of acquiring a Wii so I could play with a GC controller instead of Wiimote, saying I can't adapt. No other game needs the GC controler like (competitive) smash does. If Nintendo is hurting anywhere close to as much as news outlets like to think, I would prefer them saving the costs so they can continue to make games the way we like them. The adapter is definitely preferable to built in if you think of if that way...

EPICº

Smash Rookie
NNID
EPICLY.Smashy
I won't actually be getting the controller, but I sure as hell getting the adapter.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Also remember that there is supposed to be a bundle of a GC controller + adaptor + Smash4 available at some point in the future, so keep that in mind if you're interested in saving some money.
Gamestop is already taking pre-orders on the bundle.

Ben Zed

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
BENZ#0
Would this work with a regular gamecube? If so I'm seriously considering this. I wish they would make a Zelda one. Gold.

But Smash is good too.
The point is that you can also use you're old controllers with the adapter, so I'd say there's about a 0.00000001% chance that these wouldn't work with a gamecube.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Would this work with a regular gamecube? If so I'm seriously considering this. I wish they would make a Zelda one. Gold.

But Smash is good too.
I sent a request for this to PDP because they're already making Mario, Peach and Yoshi controllers. Why not one with a color scheme similar to the Zelda limited edition 3DSXL? Black and gold. I think everyone should send a request to them, high demand might get a response! Maybe :)

Top Bottom