• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace

Welcome to Super Smash Blog Thread where we would discuss about daily updates that should be posted on daily basis. Also this place would be home to more Smash speculations as usual where we would trying to figure who would be our next newcomers or echo fighters. Please check the rules and make sure that you follow the rules accordingly if you don''t want to get banned over silly things!

Translation of Sakurai's tweet on Smash Switch
Sakurai's comment on his next project and his vacation being short
Fighters themselves become the source of new excitement
Sakurai's goal of making the best character game
If I keep making Smash, I get to work on interesting things
This is the limit for roster size!
7 Questions with Sakurai (related to Mewtwo data being outdated, etc)

• Please use your common sense and good judgement with your posting. Please refer to the Forum Rules before posting.
  • Please keep discussion drama-free.
  • Please refrain from spamming.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Last edited:

_Sheik

Smash Lord
So what if the development of Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo NX followed a new direction, something different from the five previous installments? A 'reimagining' of sorts? Keep the core concept, 'let's have the most iconic Nintendo characters join the fray and brawl together!', but with radical tweaks in its core gameplay formula? Now this is simply a random theory that comes out of nowhere, but allow me to elaborate.

The basic setting remains the same: from 2 to 4 (8?) fighters duking it out on 2D platforms/stages, with classic Nintendo items making their way into the battles and aforementioned stages having various gimmicks. Following the example of the most quick-paced, action-packed fighting games out there (Street Fighter, Tekken etc.) Sora Ltd. would focus on giving the characters a moveset and a mobility fit for fast, powerful combo channelings that lead the fighters into extreme yet pleasing-looking battles. As I look at games like J-Stars, I believe Bandai Namco know a big sweet deal about these kinda games; wouldn't it translate well to Smash Bros.? So anyway, it wouldn't just be a matter of dealing U-airs and jabs and D-tilts and grabs and recovering to the stages' ledges anymore. It would be infinitely more complex but still as easy to pick up as 'old' SSB games were.

And to go along with the somewhat different gameplay, how about a new aesthetic look for the software? (Think of how Brawl's textures look pretty dark while SSB4 is looking all bright and colorful). In my head it would adopt a style similar to that of Super Mario Strikers Charged for Wii.

The roster would be radically shrinked down in number - getting rids of any clones and semi-clones, mostly focusing on having each character be as unique as possible, so the roster could as well be 25 characters (I mean this is the same size as Melee's roster and nobody would complain about it as long as the software is still as high quality-wise as the other games in the franchise). On the other hand, they would spend development time on making more stages, items, trophies, additional game modes and inserting more music tracks into the game's data.

That's not all, though! Now this is probably gonna depend on whether Sakurai is still leading the development of the new game, but if he's not, Bandai Namco MAY pick up the pieces and bring back a true Adventure mode (which SSB4 absurdly lacked tbh).

The 'Ultimate' Super Smash Bros. experience? My English level is currently too weak for me to be able to give you more accurate descriptions about all of this, my apologies.

However, what are your thoughts about a possible change in the gameplay formula of our beloved SSB?

Last edited:

TryrushDeppy

Smash Apprentice
An enhanced complete edition of SSB4 sounds like way too much work for a launch title, and would piss off fans who already paid for all the DLC separately, especially if it also didn't have cross-system online multiplayer with Wii U. It could happen eventually, but they'd want to give the original versions some added time to keep making money and getting played, perhaps to lend some weak credence to their claims that the Wii U won't be abandoned right away after the NX launch.

If Nintendo wants to get Smash's foot in the door right away for the NX launch, I think a Virtual Console release or HD remaster of Melee is in the cards. The NX will probably be able to accommodate the Wii U's Gamecube controller adapter. A re-release of Brawl is most likely off the table forever, due to Konami no longer wishing to cooperate for the Metal Gear license.

Last edited:

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
As I appreciated that you really typed out those ideas but I'm not convinced enough that they are going to overhaul the system and design that much if they only have a year or less to work on Smash Bros NX. According to the rumor, they are planning to have Smash NX as launch game, which is required to be out within 6 months after launch date of NX.

Also Sakurai said that he wouldn't mess with the gameplay engines (aka core concept) so I don't really think we are going to see anything getting overhaul anytime soon. It might happens in the future but I'm still not sure about NX version due to limited schedule they are running on.

An enhanced complete edition of SSB4 sounds like way too much work for a launch title, and would piss off fans who already paid for all the DLC separately, especially if it also didn't have cross-system online multiplayer with Wii U. It could happen eventually, but they'd want to give the original versions some added time to keep making money and getting played, perhaps to lend some weak credence to their claims that the Wii U won't be abandoned right away after the NX launch.
I really have no clue where they are really going with DLC contents (3DS/WiiU) so I presume that it's possible that they could just leave them as downloadable content and have them transferable, or they would bundled them with the game in order to include them in Event Mode, etc.

Well, I still think that there is a chance that they could work on Smash 4.5 (aka Smash for NX) and might release the game with new contents. They have about a year to work on the game so there is a chance that they could include new characters, stages and modes in the game. Perhaps, Inkling, Rhythm Heaven Representation, Wolf, Ice Climbers.. Like some people would assume, Takamaru, Geno, etc.

If I were you, I wouldn't expect any new contents to temper our expectations.

D

Deleted member

I'm thinking we'll get two versions of Smash on NX the first will be the port. The second will be Smash 5 but that'll be years later. We'll hopefully get a Melee like Adventure Mode and maybe Break The Targets, Wolf, Ice Climbers, and hopefully Inklings please Bandai Namco. Anyway I look forward to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

TryrushDeppy

Smash Apprentice
I really have no clue where they are really going with DLC contents (3DS/WiiU) so I presume that it's possible that they could just leave them as downloadable content and have them transferable, or they would bundled them with the game in order to include them in Event Mode, etc.
The only game I know of that did this was Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Even though Jill and Shuma-Gorath had already been released as DLC for the vanilla version, they were not included with Ultimate, out of respect to players who had paid for them before. Of course, this ended up backfiring hard in the long run, since keeping them locked to digital purchases meant it's been impossible to get them at all after the Disney buyout.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I imagine that a new Smash as an NX launch title would have to be either an "ultimate edition" of Smash 4 with added modes, characters, stages etc. or as someone early suggested, a remake or rerelease of Melee.

I just don't think it's feasible to release a product nearly as complete as the one they have already within the allotted timescale, and moreover I don't see why you'd want to. My own personal gripes with the roster aside, you have an incredible cast of different characters here and it'd make sense to use them.

I trust Nintendo would add enough content into an "ultimate edition" and I have always thought Nintendo needed to release something like this or Mario Kart at launch to really sell their consoles, so I could see it working.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
They'd probably need to make some fairly significant changes to the mechanics to accommodate Inklings (assuming they're a playable character) simply because the Ink mechanic is something they don't have any precedent for. That said, I imagine most of these changes would be under the hood and we'd only see a few trickle into normal gameplay. I think it could be released as an ultimate edition or stand-alone, but ultimately it'll be somewhere between the two with some changes to core game but small enough that they can port the characters with little change.

That said how many new characters they add is hard to say, I think any character they would add at first would be something Sakurai was toying with before his holiday (like Inkling that's probably not possible in Smash WiiU and Ice Climbers which wasn't possible in Smash 3DS). A new mode though is highly possible, but I'd prefer if this is where Namco could come into their own... an RPG.

I have no reason to believe this, but it's an idea I've toyed with of a smash RPG where you can level up and equip your characters (like you can in smash 4 anyways) and travel an over world map. A group of AI controlled party members with random encounters using smash run enemies; just add some bosses and/or adventure style stages and you're done.. I'm basically imagining Zelda 2 crossed with older Tales games and Smash mechanics. It'd give structure to the single player mostly using pre-existing content.

Will it happen, probably not, but that's the game mode I want most.

As for other things I really hope the NX uses Tactus so I want the controller customization to be massive, allowing me to add/remove, re-size and move buttons where-ever I want with obvious pre-sets like 3DS, Pro Controller and Gamecube as a base but I want to adjust things because every controller option has a flaw (a tleast for my hands) that I would like to fix.

Last edited:

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
The only game I know of that did this was Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Even though Jill and Shuma-Gorath had already been released as DLC for the vanilla version, they were not included with Ultimate, out of respect to players who had paid for them before. Of course, this ended up backfiring hard in the long run, since keeping them locked to digital purchases meant it's been impossible to get them at all after the Disney buyout.
Yes, that's right. I think they are going to pull Jill & Shuma for Smash NX but I hope that they are going to include custom moves, event matches, etc for those DLC characters.

I imagine that a new Smash as an NX launch title would have to be either an "ultimate edition" of Smash 4 with added modes, characters, stages etc. or as someone early suggested, a remake or rerelease of Melee.

I just don't think it's feasible to release a product nearly as complete as the one they have already within the allotted timescale, and moreover I don't see why you'd want to. My own personal gripes with the roster aside, you have an incredible cast of different characters here and it'd make sense to use them.

I trust Nintendo would add enough content into an "ultimate edition" and I have always thought Nintendo needed to release something like this or Mario Kart at launch to really sell their consoles, so I could see it working.
Yeah, it's a great plan if they are going to port Smash 4 and add new contents to the game to enrich the franchise and call it for day. I still think Mario Kart 9 is going to happens so I'm completely fine with Smash 4.5 tho.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'm pretty skeptical of any new, major content showing up in SSB4NX. The problem is that I don't think there's any single character that would convince enough people to come over. Actually, even if they had three exclusive characters I don't think that'd be enough. I'm not seeing any new, major content at all.

The DLC I'm 50/50 on being there out of the box. If the NX isn't some "Nintendo fusion" device then I'm 100% sure Smash Run won't be there. 3DS stages could go either way, though remember the new 3DS stages would probably need a graphical revamp.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
Also here is one of my argument from other thread.

Yeah, I actually thought same thing about DLC itself for few reasons;

1. I'm pretty sure that Sakurai already planned to working on Smash NX during DLC development and already worked on the licenses and deals with other companies. The License/Deals mightn't allowed it to happens.
  2. Most of the fans already purchased the characters for Smash for 3DS and Wii U so they "could make the purchase transferable to next system"
  3. If they are going to bundle everyone in a game then they have to work out and split the money with 6 different companies which sound ludicrous to me.

I think there is a moderate chance that we are going to get Smash Bros 4.5 with new characters, stages and modes. I think Sakurai is willing to work on Smash 4.5 for NX because it would benefit him in many ways.

1. He always enjoy to working on newcomers and design their movesets
  2. To avoid the characters cut. He already expressed his dislikes toward to characters getting cut out of the roster. If he are going to do 4.5 then he don't have to worry about cutting anyone out of the roster.
  3. He don't have to start all over from scratch with Smash Bros which would minimize his schedule with current project so he can move on to brand new projects. Also it would minimize Nintendo's budget, and Namco's development schedule.
  4. Sakurai really enjoy to bring something new to Smash Bros franchise every generation (console-wise). I'm pretty sure that Sakurai probably want to develop new modes that would demonstrate the capabilities of new console.
  5. Smash Ballot. I don't really think they are going to do Smash Ballot for just one or two characters. I think they were planning to use Smash Ballot for Smash NX as well. Hopefully I'm right on that.
  6. Amiibo If Sakurai is going to include more characters then it could benefit them on long run by making more Amiibo for Smash lineup.

I totally agreed with you that we doesn't really NEED Smash 5 for Nintendo NX for several reasons. Anyway, did Reggie said that we only get ONE Smash per console? If he actually mention that then it would completely throw Smash 5 for NX out of the window.

I'm pretty skeptical of any new, major content showing up in SSB4NX. The problem is that I don't think there's any single character that would convince enough people to come over. Actually, even if they had three exclusive characters I don't think that'd be enough. I'm not seeing any new, major content at all.

The DLC I'm 50/50 on being there out of the box. If the NX isn't some "Nintendo fusion" device then I'm 100% sure Smash Run won't be there. 3DS stages could go either way, though remember the new 3DS stages would probably need a graphical revamp.
I'm pretty sure that there are several characters that would make people want to pick up the games, such as Splatoon's Inkling, Rhythm Heaven Representative, Ice Climbers and fan favorite characters. I'm pretty sure that almost everyone here tempered our expectations for the worst tho.

Last edited:

TryrushDeppy

Smash Apprentice
Unnecessary when Zelda U will almost certainly be an NX launch title, with the Wii U version following a month later a la Twilight Princess.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Unnecessary when Zelda U will almost certainly be an NX launch title, with the Wii U version following a month later a la Twilight Princess.
Yes, because people are going to buy a new console (or 2 if it's console/handheld, heck 3 if you count the SCD) for just one game... NX is a promise to do better and starting that promise with a sufficiently large "We're sorry" can only help them.

Of course they could do with something Wii Sports big as well, but a sorry would still help.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I know that it's already a Poke Ball Pokemon, but what if Deoxys somehow got the playable treatment. I have a couple thoughts on how its formes could be utilized.

Normal Forme: The default Deoxys forme, which is all-around with no major strengths or weaknesses.

Attack Forme: Attack power is increased 1.25x, but Deoxys also takes 1.25x more damage than normal.

Defense Forme: Damage taken is reduced to 0.75x, but attack power is reduced to 0.75x as well. Walk speed, run speed, and air speed are also reduced to 0.7x to increase weight 1.3x.

Speed Forme: Walk speed is increased 1.25x, run speed is increased 2x, and air speed is increased 1.4x. However, attack power is reduced to 0.8x, weight is reduced to 0.7x, and falling speed is increased 1.4x.

As for some of its attributes...

Walk speed: 1.2
Run speed: 1.6
Air speed: 1
Falling speed: 1.5
Weight: 100

Now, in regards to the forme changes, they're all affected by a special move...
  • Forme Change: Temporarily changes Deoxys into its Attack, Defense, or Speed forme. You can choose the forme by tapping the special move button during the transformation. Each forme can last up to 15 seconds before Deoxys reverts back to Normal forme. Once Deoxys reverts back to Normal forme, it must wait 20 seconds before it can use the same forme again. Deoxys can also revert back to Normal forme immediately by performing Forme Change again.
    • Decisive Forme Change: Deoxys's Attack, Defense, and Speed formes last up to 20 seconds, but Deoxys can't revert back to Normal forme manually. Positive effects are also increased 1.1x. Deoxys must wait 10 seconds before it can reuse the same forme again.
    • Extreme Forme Change: The positive and negative effects of Deoxys's Attack, Defense, and Speed formes are increased by 30% (1.3x for stat boosts, and 0.7x for stat drops), but the formes only last up to 10 seconds before Deoxys reverts back to Normal forme. Deoxys must wait 30 seconds before it can reuse the same forme again.
It's a long stretch, but it can give you an idea on how Deoxys could work.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That sounds pretty neat for Deoxys. Ideally, they may push someone from Pokken for the NX version or whatever the new hottest Pokemon is at the time of release, just planning that particular Pokemon in advance. I mean, developers share stuff they're working on all the time. That's how Greninja got in, after all(I don't mean cause he was new and hot, but because of developers sharing plans).

Anyway, I read Push's current articles on this idea. Sakurai does not like straight ports. If he is involved, it's likely going to be a bigger game, but less likely to have more players. If he's not involved, and it's just Namco-Bandai, more characters is a higher possibility, but new modes is less likely since they tend to cut modes instead of characters these days. They already know Smash runs on characters more than anything else, so a bigger roster or at least some popular cuts back(namely the most popular or least redundant, so as much as Pichu tends to be popular in general, he wasn't as much in Smash, he's not too likely to come back. Young Link wouldn't unless he had something to separate himself from Toon Link. They do have different bodies, which could be enough for a semi-clone, though. But that's still work to do for Namco-Bandai, and with only about 2 years, as the dev kit for the NX came out on October 15, 2015, they need to be quite careful in their character selection).

In addition, there's licensing fees for other companies. Sega loves Nintendo, so that's easy to keep Sonic and Bayonetta. They have to go through two Capcom companies for both Ryu and MegaMan. It's possible one might not make it in, but I think they're likely to come back. Snake, well... Konami, nuff said. Then there's Cloud. He's hard to license in general, it's possible Sakurai was the reason he was in in the first place(whether cause he helped convince SE, or he's the only one who found him the best choice), so anything could happen. Namco-Bandai could have trouble licensing him for a 3rd game, and get someone easier(Lightning, Black Mage, maybe), or drop the SE stuff. Or we could get that DLC and more songs if lucky. Who knows. Should be a given which 3rd party is 100% guaranteed in the NX version if the rumor is true, though.

So I'm thinking it'll have a popular combination of both versions(stages, modes, etc.), possibly a different roster from the final one, and if the NX controller doesn't have a touch screen, a different Stage Builder, maybe one more similar to Brawl(but with more options like the Wii U version added on). This is of course assuming the NX is a console overall, and doesn't have some handheld variation.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Inkling or rage.
Inkling is a very weird way of saying Isaac.

I think there is a moderate chance that we are going to get Smash Bros 4.5 with new characters, stages and modes. I think Sakurai is willing to work on Smash 4.5 for NX because it would benefit him in many ways.

1. He always enjoy to working on newcomers and design their movesets
  2. To avoid the characters cut. He already expressed his dislikes toward to characters getting cut out of the roster. If he are going to do 4.5 then he don't have to worry about cutting anyone out of the roster.
  3. He don't have to start all over from scratch with Smash Bros which would minimize his schedule with current project so he can move on to brand new projects. Also it would minimize Nintendo's budget, and Namco's development schedule.
  4. Sakurai really enjoy to bring something new to Smash Bros franchise every generation (console-wise). I'm pretty sure that Sakurai probably want to develop new modes that would demonstrate the capabilities of new console.
  5. Smash Ballot. I don't really think they are going to do Smash Ballot for just one or two characters. I think they were planning to use Smash Ballot for Smash NX as well. Hopefully I'm right on that.
  6. Amiibo If Sakurai is going to include more characters then it could benefit them on long run by making more Amiibo for Smash lineup.

I totally agreed with you that we doesn't really NEED Smash 5 for Nintendo NX for several reasons. Anyway, did Reggie said that we only get ONE Smash per console? If he actually mention that then it would completely throw Smash 5 for NX out of the window
One possibility I had in mind was that Smash NX is released as a straight up port with only the DLC included (maybe the IC's as well) and then every year or half a year character/stage/misc packs are released that add extra content to the game and this goes on for the entire lifespan of the NX.

Unlikely but I would love for that to be the case.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I thought this was closed for a minute phew glad everything's fine. Inklings oh yes I definetly want them in hope it happens. One day I shall main them in Smash along with Mario , Link, King K. Rool, and Cloud so the sooner they get to Smash the better so I can finally main Inklings mostly Inkling Girl but yes I hope one day I can main Inklings in Smash Splatoon for it's success and good work deserves it so Inklings hope to see you in Smash some day. Anyway I like the Dexoys idea.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Inklings are without a doubt a question of when over if.

There hasn't been a character so guaranteed to eventually make it into Smash since Wario and Diddy Kong.

Now, will they get in via a port of Smash 4? Perhaps. But will they be in by Smash 5? Undoubtably.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Inklings are without a doubt a question of when over if.

There hasn't been a character so guaranteed to eventually make it into Smash since Wario and Diddy Kong.

Now, will they get in via a port of Smash 4? Perhaps. But will they be in by Smash 5? Undoubtably.
Unless Xenoblade chronicles X gets a sequel with new characters, I feel possibly Cross or Elma to pretty likely. Not on the same level as the Inkling but pretty close in my opinion.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Ehhhh. Loved Xenoblade X but between Sakurai saying Shulk wasn't normally the type to get in, his main gimmick being mostly cooked up for Smash and the honestly lacking moveset potential on a Xenoblade X character I'm thinking they're far from likely.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I feel there's plenty of move set potential, the whole weapon switching mechanic could easily make for an interesting gimmick, and there's plenty of arts that easily transition to smash bros attacks. I think Elma (Ghost Factory could be a very unique special) would be a pretty good choice, but I feel there's enough very good choices that she's still fairly unlikely mind.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
My problem with the weapon switching idea is that either it's going to end up where one is just completely better then the other like how transformations always were or there's going to be a ton of redundant moves between them...

Though, I'm going to disagree on there being a ton of better choices. Basically just Inkling at this point. Honestly I can't look at any other character and say they're remotely likely, or at least until Sun and Moon come out.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
My problem with the weapon switching idea is that either it's going to end up where one is just completely better then the other like how transformations always were or there's going to be a ton of redundant moves between them...

Though, I'm going to disagree on there being a ton of better choices. Basically just Inkling at this point. Honestly I can't look at any other character and say they're remotely likely, or at least until Sun and Moon come out.
I'm not sure how you're imagining it, but I don't see it like a transformation at all. It's not like you're stopping and changing weapons that much in that game (and that could be put on a taunt anyways), you're doing an art and then you've got a different weapon equipped. You slash at them a few times and then you'd Down-B into Sliding Slinger to follow up and now you're using guns. Yes many moves will be better in one or other, but if you aren't in a good position to Side-B Shadowstrike (or taunt) you'll need to make do with guns for a bit.

As for better choices Ice Climbers, Inkling, K.Rool, Chibi-Robo (what was Zip-Lash except a smash moveset, certainly not fun that's for sure), more third parties, more Pokémon (be it Sun/Moon or Sceptile), Impa (Zelda U seems to have a lot of Sheikah imagery, so I'm pretty sure Impa's gonna be a major part)... I don't think there's a tonne either, but I don't expect too many more characters out of a re-release anyways so I think she's plenty of competition.

Retrospective edit from Ultimate: Ice Climbers, Inkling, K.Rool, more third parties and a Sun/Moon Pokémon all made it. Chibi-Robo and Impah didn't, but I was right in my assumption the Sheikah were important in BoTW... also there really weren't many more characters in Ultimate, and Elma didn't make it.... I'm pretty happy with my prediction capabilities here.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Smash NX hopefully is unveiled at E3 it's close so hopefully we'll find out more soon.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'm not sure how you're imagining it, but I don't see it like a transformation at all. It's not like you're stopping and changing weapons that much in that game (and that could be put on a taunt anyways), you're doing an art and then you've got a different weapon equipped. You slash at them a few times and then you'd Down-B into Sliding Slinger to follow up and now you're using guns. Yes many moves will be better in one or other, but if you aren't in a good position to Side-B Shadowstrike (or taunt) you'll need to make do with guns for a bit.

As for better choices Ice Climbers, Inkling, K.Rool, Chibi-Robo (what was Zip-Lash except a smash moveset, certainly not fun that's for sure), more third parties, more Pokémon (be it Sun/Moon or Sceptile), Impa (Zelda U seems to have a lot of Sheikah imagery, so I'm pretty sure Impa's gonna be a major part)... I don't think there's a tonne either, but I don't expect too many more characters out of a re-release anyways so I think she's plenty of competition.
Again, if one weapon is just that much better then people will just avoid that weapon and it's specials. Implementing what's effectively a transformation that wouldn't require loading I don't think is possible.

None of those characters seem remotely likely besides Inkling... ICs take up a crazy amount of processing power. K. Rool still hasn't had an appearance in years and lacks moveset potential. Chibi Robo is still obscure and Zip Lash didn't do well, especially in Japan. Sceptile's going to be forgotten again by the time the next Smash comes around. The Impa bit honestly sounds desperate... Wouldn't be surprised if she was completely absent from Zelda U since we still know next to nothing about the game.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Again, if one weapon is just that much better then people will just avoid that weapon and it's specials. Implementing what's effectively a transformation that wouldn't require loading I don't think is possible.

None of those characters seem remotely likely besides Inkling... ICs take up a crazy amount of processing power. K. Rool still hasn't had an appearance in years and lacks moveset potential. Chibi Robo is still obscure and Zip Lash didn't do well, especially in Japan. Sceptile's going to be forgotten again by the time the next Smash comes around. The Impa bit honestly sounds desperate... Wouldn't be surprised if she was completely absent from Zelda U since we still know next to nothing about the game.
Robin already has a weapon transformation though, 2 in fact with the blade and the book. And that's fine if they do avoid it, most character's gimmicks are ignored at a competitive level, as long as they have value at the casual level they're valuable for the game's worth. Unlike Zelda/Sheik which has no value to anyone other than the opponent binding the transformation to an actual attack (again, like Robin) makes them seem usable.

Inkling too will take up a lot of processing power (or at least memory) as you have to account the ink splatter, but this is the NX version. Ice Climbers were working on Wii U so I don't see why they can't work on a more powerful machine, I would say Inkling are actually less likely as they're going to have to add a tonne of new code into the main file for their central mechanic; they're certainly not a character that could just be added as DLC like most. As for other characters there are issues against them sure, but none so significant as Inklings; they're all loved characters (especially Chibi) that they could've started work on for Wii U DLC (barr Impa) and ditched, Inkling would have to be made specifically for Smash NX... of course Inkling has the most positive going for it too, but it's difficulties shouldn't be disregarded.

As for Impa, how is it desperate, feel free to think that way, but when everything we've seen of the game has prominent, constant Sheikah imagery with multiple instances on Link alone I feel fairly confident Impa is a part of the plot, and Zelda U is the only system seller we know about so far... stretch for her to get in is one thing, but I see it as a near certain for her to be discussed.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Robin already has a weapon transformation though, 2 in fact with the blade and the book. And that's fine if they do avoid it, most character's gimmicks are ignored at a competitive level, as long as they have value at the casual level they're valuable for the game's worth. Unlike Zelda/Sheik which has no value to anyone other than the opponent binding the transformation to an actual attack (again, like Robin) makes them seem usable.

Inkling too will take up a lot of processing power (or at least memory) as you have to account the ink splatter, but this is the NX version. Ice Climbers were working on Wii U so I don't see why they can't work on a more powerful machine, I would say Inkling are actually less likely as they're going to have to add a tonne of new code into the main file for their central mechanic; they're certainly not a character that could just be added as DLC like most. As for other characters there are issues against them sure, but none so significant as Inklings; they're all loved characters (especially Chibi) that they could've started work on for Wii U DLC (barr Impa) and ditched, Inkling would have to be made specifically for Smash NX... of course Inkling has the most positive going for it too, but it's difficulties shouldn't be disregarded.

As for Impa, how is it desperate, feel free to think that way, but when everything we've seen of the game has prominent, constant Sheikah imagery with multiple instances on Link alone I feel fairly confident Impa is a part of the plot, and Zelda U is the only system seller we know about so far... stretch for her to get in is one thing, but I see it as a near certain for her to be discussed.
That's not a transformation... Robin's swords share animations, and the only differences are in hitboxes and visuals. Having separate guns and swords animations for everything sans specials is just shy of taking up as much space as two characters. In all likelihood loading would be required, and after Brawl's loading problems they're not going to load in extra moves mid-match ever again.

...Who's gimmick is ignored?

Inkling wouldn't be that hard. The way ink on the ground works in Splatoon is that there's an invisible grid layer over everything, and ink appears on that layer. This layer in Smash can be in one of five/nine states... Off, and the various colors. Doesn't have to bee nearly as detailed as Splatoon's ink.

ICs were working, not 100% optimized. With the ICs gone they put more into the stages and number of items on screen. This could be applied to somebody like Olimar too but the ICs were waaaaaaay more taxing then any other character, and not because it's two separate characters. The fact that Nana is controlled by a full AI is why they're so costly.

Dude, you have almost nothing as proof that Impa will be in Zelda U at all, much less a prominent role. That's why she's not likely. It could be little ol' lady Impaz again, or Sheik, or even a completely new character... If there's even a Sheika character in the game. For all we know the plot could be that Tingle's trying to take over the world with ancient Sheika relics and Link's mucking around with other ones to stop him, and the Sheika are extinct.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Unless Xenoblade chronicles X gets a sequel with new characters, I feel possibly Cross or Elma to pretty likely. Not on the same level as the Inkling but pretty close in my opinion.
Without promotion or popularity (of which Elma has, but not to a great extent) I don't see why a series like Xenoblade would get another character tbh. It's one of the most niche on the roster and only has two games. Should it get more titles in the future, that'd be a different story.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
With the ending to Xeno X being what it is and how they've talked about what they'd do with a sequel... Yeah, we're probably going to get a sequel, and with Elma and Cross too.

Vincent_Leo

Smash Rookie

Two great minds think alike:)

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I'd personally be okay with Elma.
Same here.

EDIT:

The thought of having an NX port of the game is certainly interesting. Although it is tough to predict whether we can expect new content or not within this version. But I would be very surprised if this version has got new content.

Last edited:

vertime

Smash Apprentice
"Source situation is solid"
SOLID SNAKE CONFIRMED IN THE NEW SMASH GET THE AIRHORNS

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So is it necroposting if I say this...?
I wonder what 'Smash NX' could be on the NX, now that it's pretty likely to be some kind of really meaty handheld.
Isn't it still a console as well?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yes and no. It's more like it's a handheld that's really powerful and can be connected to the TV like a Plug-and-Play console.
I wonder how that would factor into the game's potential content (if it's a port of Smash Wii U)
I see.

That's pretty neat. Hopefully that will mean a lot more content for Smash NX but I ain't getting my hopes up.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
All Smash NX needs to be is an enhanced port of Smash Wii U. Collate the stages from both versions, add DLC to the base game, add a couple of extra characters/stages and if they're feeling particularly kind a couple of modes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom