• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
New game
Why would they not show gameplay footage if it's just a port?

\(°|°)/
Agreed, if this was a straight up port I feel like we’d have seen some gameplay first, and maybe an Inkling tease by the end.

I’ll bet 10 doubloons this was just a tease for the true big reveal at E3.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I mean, presumably they'll have both options. I just play Femui more often than Mamui.
Play with whoever you like; as long as you're happy with who you play as. FemCorrin is likely to be default for popularity reasons if both Corrins do return.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Has anyone actually found any characters except for some veterans in the logo line-up?

Because aside from potentially confirming a few SSB4 vets, I'm starting to think we're reading a bit too much into it....

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Has anyone actually found any characters except for some veterans in the logo line-up?

Because aside from potentially confirming a few SSB4 vets, I'm starting to think we're reading a bit too much into it....
I'm sure they aren't that stupid to just reveal newcomers like that.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
WEEK IN REVIEW IS BACK, *******!
Haha not a chance. It was fun but it took a lot of effort to do that. I’ll just be helping mod the Switch forums, especially during the day time here in Japan. Plus, I’m up all hours thanks to a 6 month old so there’s that too.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I can see it go either way. A port with a couple of characters/stages added or its own completely new game. I'm leaning more towards the port side because this is the first we've heard about it and it's coming this year, and Sakurai loves hyping fans up during development of his games. But it'll probably go either way.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
So, Link has his BotW design. Really hoping it's just an alt costume, and that I'm not stuck with annoying, inexplicably British Zelda too.

EDIT: Really hoping this is an enhanced port because if they're building a new game from scratch, then expect this to be a bloodbath of fan-favorite cuts. Unless the dev team is a lot bigger this time around. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

It's mostly just predictable veterans from what I can tell. I'm pretty sure Sakurai knows his fanbase too well to not slip in any surprise characters in there for the fanbase to sniff out....

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I could see Sakurai being the master troll he is Champion Link being his own new character. But I wouldn't like that and I don't imagine it to be the case.

I think it's just Link's new default tbh.

Qwaser

The scent of death
NNID
Cheese200200
Hopefully we'll get new fighters for the franchise that needs it like Mother, Metroid, or Fzero and such or more unique 3rd party fighters.

Because I don't think we need any new Mario fighters.(Assuming we're getting new fighters outside of splatoon)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No series "needs" any new character
I hate this mentality so much

\(°|°)/

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Welcome to the Super Smash Bros. community, my dude :estatic:
I mean, I'm not very surprised. I've been here for five years of my life, lol.

Still.....kinda hoping this line-up thing calms down soon. We've surely confirmed a few obvious veterans from it, but that's not saying much.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
So, Link has his BotW design. Really hoping it's just an alt costume, and
I think classic Link was shown in the line up and then Champion Link was shown close up. Like a bait and Switch.
I assumed the line up was facing the Inklings, not the flames.
And Mario was left of Link in the line up and the close up.
And in the line up, Link's sword is on his left, and close up it was on the right. (Sorry if already discussed)

TheZapp

Smash Journeyman
My god its been ages since I came on this forum, as much as I hope its a new game im not holding my breath

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
To be honest, all of the veterans from the lineup we're speculating are not surprising. Oh wow, DK, Pit, Yoshi, and Bowser are in the next Smash! What a shock.

I'm just curious to see if Sakurai will emerge from the shadows sometime soon to shed some more light...

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Lol at people already talking about cuts. The roster for this game is going to be insane. 75+ at least.
Maybe a few cuts (I expect a range from 3 to 5), but lots of newcomers.

The real question is: is this game really releasing in 2018? If so, the hype/marketing cycle is far shorter than any Smash game since the original. That's weird. Imagine it releases December 31st. At this point, 10 months from release, we were already full on "pic of the day" mode with Brawl and Sm4sh. Instead this time around we barely know about 10 characters in the game, and we have zero gameplay footage. Interesting.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

Welcome to the Smashboards, where everything is analyzed, over analyzed, discussed, fought, threads closed, and re-analyze until official confirmation...and then the cycle repeats

:teeth:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Lol at people already talking about cuts. The roster for this game is going to be insane. 75+ at least.
Maybe a few cuts (I expect a range from 3 to 5), but lots of newcomers.
I can't see the roster being that large. Maybe upwards to 65, but 75+ seems a bit too much.

The real question is: is this game really releasing in 2018? If so, the hype/marketing cycle is far shorter than any Smash game since the original. That's weird. Imagine it releases December 31st. At this point, 10 months from release, we were already full on "pic of the day" mode with Brawl and Sm4sh. Instead this time around we barely know about 10 characters in the game, and we have zero gameplay footage. Interesting.
Yeah I'm more on the train that it'll be closer to a port rather than its own game. But here's hoping.

Troykv

Smash Master
Damn! I always so late for these annoucements xDU

But wow, I'm so amazed it's actually Smash, this is incredible! :D

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
No series "needs" any new character
I hate this mentality so much

\(°|°)/
Right.

Except Donkey Kong.
And Metroid.
And maybe Animal Crossing.

BUT THATS IT
I'd also like a new Zelda character.

Oh and ARMS. Rhythm Heaven too.

BUT THATS IT

YOU HEAR ME, FIRE EMBLEM?

abrinx77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Abrinx
HOOOOOOOOOLY ****!!! Its a new Smash Game Boys and Girls! All aboard the hype train! Fingers crossed for it being a brand new title, also for Crash Bandicoot, since he is now technically viable.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Here's my tier list of likelihood of all the characters I think have a remote chance of becoming Newcomers. (There not in numerical order).

A-tier likely:
  • Inklings (Confirmed)
  • Rex & Pyra
  • Captain Toad
  • Paper Mario
  • Cranky Kong
  • Dixie Kong
  • Toon Zelda
  • Tetra
  • Zeraora
  • Mimikyu
  • Decidueye
  • Isabelle
  • Balloon Fighter
  • Excitebike
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • Pilot (Lark)
B-tier likely
  • Funky Kong
  • Pauline
  • Spring Man
  • Ribbon Girl
  • Takamaru
  • Dillon
  • Alm/Celica
  • Andross
  • Alph
  • Lip
C-tier likely
  • Kirby's Animal Friends
  • King K. Rool
  • Impa
  • Sylux
  • Lyn
  • Waluigi
  • Kamek
  • Skull Kid
  • Waddle Dee
  • Marx

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Trying my best not to set myself up for disappointment, but I’m reeeeeaally feeling like this is gonna be a new thing. I keep rewatching it, and that teaser trailer was too mysterious to be for just a port.

Last edited:

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271

Alice Margatroid

Doll Judgement
In my opinion it would be super lackluster if BotW Link was an alt-costume or a different character. Changing the default look wouldn't be that big of a deal especially since they can just add green-tunic Link back in as a costume (like in BotW.)

Tunic or not Link is still super iconic, and given the success and prominence of BotW it's not like anyone would be confused as to who he is.

EDIT: I for one hope they go a little bit outside of their comfort zone with this iteration of Smash and do new things.

Breaking some patterns might take awhile to adjust to but I think it would be a welcome breath of fresh air for the series.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom