• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Here is my legitimate prediction roster. I wanted to include Joker or Jack Frost, but I don't find Jack Frost to be terribly likely and I also think Joker will be DLC. So they both missed this one. Will be eagerly awaiting the possibility of them, though.

View attachment 146994
Yo, I've been wonderin'. You keep sayin' that you think Joker will be DLC like it's somethin' we should expect, so I was just wondering, what are your reasons for thinking that? Like, explain your thought process.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've been looking through these roster predictions, and I'm just gonna say that y'all are really sleeping on the Zelda series.

Seriously, we've essentially been stuck with the same cast since Melee. A newcomer is gonna happen sooner or later. Sakurai might as well add one now while the massive BotW steamboat is still in commission.
The only problem would be finding a Legend of Zelda newcomer who is still relevant today. Impa might be our best bet, but her appearance would probably have to be a mix between Skyward Sword and Hyrule Warriors.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I know I already posted it a whiles ago, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to show it off again.

This is clearly more of a wish roster than a prediction, but I think it's funner that way.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Ridley was very wanted for Brawl, but there was a really long line of highly requested newcomers for that game, so amongst the likes of Sonic, Wario, Dedede, Diddy Kong, Lucario and Meta Knight, plus other popular characters that didn't get in like Geno and Krystal, he didn't quite stand out as much as he would end up doing for later games. Not really basing this off of anything but the feeling I remember from back then, but it felt like the general consensus was a bit 50/50 whether he'd be in or not, there was a lot of confusion as to whether ZSS was counted as a proper newcomer aswell.

For Smash 4 he was very much expected to be in, because of the competition not being as fierce he was around the top of almost every poll both in terms of chance and want, fans had practically already rolled out the red carpet. Ridley, K. Rool, Mega Man and Mewtwo were also dubbed 'The Big Four' for a while due to how wanted and expected they were, until Mega Man's early confirmation of course. When it began looking like he wasn't in things turned incredibly sour, a large part of the vile reaction to his exclusion was because most people really thought he'd be in, so it came as both a shock and a disappointment.

This time it's very different, it's far more low key and less hysterical. Almost nobody expects him this time, so Ridley fans have just been left alone so they can hope for the best, and none of his fans are really jumping the gun either. I like how it is this time, it's far more peaceful and level-headed, and you practically never see any discussions about his size on here anymore either, which used to be one of the most common and vile discussions in the Smash fanbase, so in that regard I'd say the vibes are better than ever. I don't think the Ridley fanbase is anywhere nearly as optimistic as it used to be though, a lot of us have been bitten too many times to really believe the leak, but considering the circumstances I only think that's a good thing.
To add to this, I don't know how many people on this website remember how Ridley threads were banned from smashboards during the later stages of brawl speculation for toxicity.
The Smash 4 thread for Ridley was shut down with the game's launch, and there was a lot of controversial arguing on that thread (although it looked really bad when it came to shadow speculation).
A lot of people don't think he'll be in anymore after 2 rejections, but there's a lot of rumors going around with him in it. I'm hoping he's in, but I'm not expecting him either.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Robin and Celica are literally as different as Marth and Ike. They use the same weapon types to an extent (and even then Celica casts magic without the use of tomes) but they fight completely differently.
but it's still the same archetype and in a series with lances, axes, mounted units etc etc, I'm doubtful they'd add a character that fills a niche that's already represented tbh, swords are kind of a broad thing and a big thing in fe so having 2 characters, especially ones that wield different swords which lend themselves to different playstyles is understandable. Celica could fight differently and be unique, I never denied that but she still fills the same niche and with fire emblem already overrepresented adding a second magic wielder doesn't seem like the best decision.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ridley was very wanted for Brawl, but there was a really long line of highly requested newcomers for that game, so amongst the likes of Sonic, Wario, Dedede, Diddy Kong, Lucario and Meta Knight, plus other popular characters that didn't get in like Geno and Krystal, he didn't quite stand out as much as he would end up doing for later games. Not really basing this off of anything but the feeling I remember from back then, but it felt like the general consensus was a bit 50/50 whether he'd be in or not, there was a lot of confusion as to whether ZSS was counted as a proper newcomer aswell.

For Smash 4 he was very much expected to be in, because of the competition not being as fierce he was around the top of almost every poll both in terms of chance and want, fans had practically already rolled out the red carpet. Ridley, K. Rool, Mega Man and Mewtwo were also dubbed 'The Big Four' for a while due to how wanted and expected they were, until Mega Man's early confirmation dissolved that little cliqué of course. When it began looking like he wasn't in things turned incredibly sour, a large part of the vile reaction to his exclusion was because most people really thought he'd be in, so it came as both a shock and a disappointment, and on top of that detractors (of which there were many) were flaunting their stuff as much as they possibly could.

This time it's very different, it's far more low key and less hysterical. Almost nobody expects him this time (pre-leak at least), so Ridley fans have just been left alone so they can hope for the best, and none of his fans are really jumping the gun either. I like how it is atm, it's far more peaceful and level-headed, and you practically never see any discussions about his size on here anymore either, which used to be one of the most common and vile discussions in the Smash fanbase, so in that regard I'd say the vibes are better than ever. I don't think the Ridley fanbase is anywhere nearly as optimistic as it used to be though, a lot of us have been bitten too many times to really believe the leak, but considering the circumstances I only think that's a good thing.
Yep I saw there it was a trainwreck

The only reason I was saying he's not deconfirmed at that time was all we saw was a shadow and it would have ben easier just to reveal him all together so I was cautiously optimistic.

DGAMER

Smash Apprentice
Predictions? Ok.

More than 94% of Smash 4's Cast Returns.
Mario gets Cappy as a Side B move, replacing Cape.
Link gets BOTW inspired moveset, changes almost completely. Zelda/Shiek/Toon Link stay just as they are, Ganondorf gets uncloned.
Wolf and Ice Climbers are back.
Inklings bring not only a stage control based moveset, but also has a stage with awsome music remixes.
Music remixes from Odyssey, Sun and Moon, Xenoblade 2.
Newcomers- K Rool, Ashley, Medusa or Viridi, Bandana Waddle Dee, Decidueye, Lyn, Takamaru, Rayman, and one more never thought of third party choice.

Not a prediction but more of a want...
Story mode returns. Not a sequel to Subspace. Features locations from various Nintendo games. Characters who have voice acting in their games have dialogue, but mute characters stay mute. Features all of the characters, as well as some other characters as NPCs. Introduces a OC unique to Smash Bros that becomes the first fully original Smash Character to be playable.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Guys...Remember when I relayed the leak with the IMGUR and Vergeben?
And how Vergeben wait for a third party game to be leaked, that it wasn't new and a compilation to make sure we could believe his source?
Seems like Konami did it themselves, somehow

Konami's exibition detail

>"Action/Adventure > Nintendo Switch"

>"Compilations > Nintendo Switch"

I....I don't know what to think about that.
Either it's a big ****ing guess..Or he's maybe right... and it would prove his leak

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
And how Vergeben wait for a third party game to be leaked, that it wasn't new and a compilation to make sure we could believe his source?

Either it's a big ****ing guess..Or he's maybe right... and it would prove his leak
Keep in mind Konami also owns bomberman and Dance Dance Revolution, which could be possible switch titles.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Beedle is going to shock people.

Breath of Wild Link would personally be my choice for a Zelda franchise newcomer.
However, there is a space for a zany Hyrule citizen.
Beedle, with a beetle-shaped backpack modeled from his BotW incarnation with peddles that allow him to bike in the air, would be a heavyweight merchant with access to his wares for attacks.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Keep in mind Konami also owns bomberman and Dance Dance Revolution, which could be possible switch titles.
That's not the problem.
The thing is that, this source claimed that a third party game that hasn't been leaked already was a compilation on switch.

And Konami suddenly reveal that there a secret compilation title on the switch.

This do give credit to Vergeben...Somehow, a lot.

And if that Source knew about a Konami game, it probably mean they could know about Snake being in and are the one who told so to Vergeben

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
That's not the problem.
The thing is that, this source claimed that a third party game that hasn't been leaked already was a compilation on switch.

Can you tell me where he said this? Also it doesn't mean the compilation is on a new title, as konami has bomberman on the switch already.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

What could those even be?! Hm.

I was waiting to see what new third party title he was reffering to. Didn't he say it would disconfirm someone too? Or was that people taking his words out of context as usual.

Zeox

Smash Champion

Context, when did Vergeben said that or what is happening I am very lost.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
INCOMING OMNIPOST!
You've been warned.

Square-Enix:

1. Terra/Kefka
  2. Slime
  3. Sora
  4. Geno/Mallow
  5. 2B

SEGA:

1. Tails
  2. Masked Lumen
  3. NiGHTS
  4. Billy Hatcher
  5. Hatsune Mika

Bandai Namco:

1. KOS-MOS
  2. Valkyrie
  3. Sophitia
  4. Gil
  5. Heihachi

I think its high time the Briedablik gets introduced as a new summoning item. It could blast an Orb that travels a short distance (or even charges for range & maybe appearance rate) before a Fire Emblem character comes out for an attack or special effect. There's so many great cast members throughout the games, it puts Pokémon to shame!

Because why the hail not? Besides, there's too many FE characters, so why not make them one? :troll:

I guess this goes hand-in-hand with the above quote. If we don't get the Breidablik as a new summoning item, Kiran could really make all these speculas schmidt me weeks worth of Orbs when he comes shootin' different FE characters from it for his specials or even his standards! Imagine using the blasts of launching an armor Knight from the gun for momentum techs!

Its a lot of the reason why someone like a Megami Tensei Summoner would feel really cool to me. Every single attack brings a projection of a unique monster to fit into each of their attacks or assist in their flashy attack maneuvers.
I’d rather he not summon different FE characters since it seems like he’s becoming more like Anna when it comes to giving us characters people actually want

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
but it's still the same archetype and in a series with lances, axes, mounted units etc etc, I'm doubtful they'd add a character that fills a niche that's already represented tbh, swords are kind of a broad thing and a big thing in fe so having 2 characters, especially ones that wield different swords which lend themselves to different playstyles is understandable. Celica could fight differently and be unique, I never denied that but she still fills the same niche and with fire emblem already overrepresented adding a second magic wielder doesn't seem like the best decision.
But they don't occupy the same niche at all. Robin in Smash is a slow projectile zoner that plays keep away with trap-like spells, all with a resource management gimmick with his weapon durability.

Celica would be nimble and speedy. Her sword style focuses more on pokes and lunges than Robin's long-arching swings, while her magic isn't even cast from a tome. Being able to cast freehand also enables her to have more animation variety. Add to this her gimmick of having her more powerful moves do recoil damage, making her slowly turn into a glass cannon as the match progresses, and she would literally fight nothing like Robin would. Valentian magic is so different from every other type of magic in the series that there's literally no overlap.

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
That's not the problem.

And if that Source knew about a Konami game, it probably mean they could know about Snake being in and are the one who told so to Vergeben
Uggh I'm trying not to get hyped...It's bad enough that Vergeben's 'leak' includes my most wanted EVER Ridley, but throwing Snake, my favorite Brawl character into things...

Would literally be a perfect game character wise for me if Ridley got in and Snake came back. Then I'd just root for other people's most wanted...like Sora. :)

SirCamp

Smash Ace
There's also Mystical Ninja.

Yup, that's definitely it. New mystical Ninja action/adventure game for Switch in the vein of Mystical Ninja starring Goemon for N64.

Along with Goemon for Smash. It's happening guys!

/s

Looks like we're either getting a Castlevania or Bomberman compilation then I would think, if that information is correct. Curious about the new game though. I do actually wonder what that could be. (I'll die if it's actually Mystical Ninja lol).

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I want Heroes alts for the FE characters...specifically the ones for :4corrinf::4robinf:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Can you tell me where he said this? Also it doesn't mean the compilation is on a new title, as konami has bomberman on the switch already.
Context, when did Vergeben said that or what is happening I am very lost.
What could those even be?! Hm.

I was waiting to see what new third party title he was reffering to. Didn't he say it would disconfirm someone too? Or was that people taking his words out of context as usual.
Last week On a 4chan thread, the anon who do the picture compilation managed to get into contact with Vergeben on GameFaqs PM and got this information.
"An unknown third party game that no one know about or information have been given is on the showfloor, if this title leaks, it would make a "chain reaction" to his claim"
He asked everyone to go and leak that game because if it's confirmed, it would make a "chain reaction" to the Vergeben leaks.
The hint we got was "Third party game, not new, compilation, not a Square Title" and said that "we're going closer" when an anon said that it could be a Konami title
Probably confirming it- not deconfirming anything.
And Today we learn that Konami have a Compilation unnanounced game on Switch on the showfloor...Quite the coincidence right?

Also it doesn't mean the compilation is on a new title
That's...Exactly what a compilation mean dude LMAO a compilation of old game.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Snake pops up. '''Kept you waiting, huh?"

Simon pops out behind him cracking his whip. ''I too have also arrived."

E3 goes nuts.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Yo, I've been wonderin'. You keep sayin' that you think Joker will be DLC like it's somethin' we should expect, so I was just wondering, what are your reasons for thinking that? Like, explain your thought process.
Well I think he'd be DLC because Persona 5 didn't come out til late 2016 in Japan, and not until 2017 elsewhere. So perhaps it was too late for the base roster. Should be added that I also believe Rex/Pyra and Springman came along too late to be in the base roster as well. Anyways, I'll make some further points to my thought process.

-Outside of Japan, Persona 5 has gained a lot of popularity post-release.
-Game reviewers have often said P5 set the new standard for JRPGs giong forward, so the game itself is regarded as an absolute masterpiece by critics.
-Persona Q2 will be coming to 3DS (or maybe Switch), but not until later as far as we know. This could line up a simultaneous promotional release if they want that.
-With the popularity Joker and Persona 5 have gained, they could be heavily requested in a ballot scenario. I would be shocked if he wasn't at least as popular as Bayonetta was during the ballot.
-Sakurai had stated that he played Persona 5 and gave it heavy praise, though that wouldn't have been til September 2016 assuming he didn't get an early copy. The game is in his mind.

Basically, I think Joker has the popularity, Atlus has the connection to Nintendo, and Sakurai recognizes the game as being an incredible piece of gaming. The main issue for the base roster would be timing, and I think that is probably a strong enough issue to prevent a base roster entrance. I'll gladly be wrong about that though.

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
Snake pops up. '''Kept you waiting, huh?"

Simon pops out behind him cracking his whip. ''I too have also arrived."

E3 goes nuts.
Hahaha now I picture a sort of bewildered, surprised Simon trying his best to fit into the Smash world while also trying to top Snake's intro.

Kinda cute. Not a word I'd use often for Simon.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Beedle is going to shock people.

Breath of Wild Link would personally be my choice for a Zelda franchise newcomer.
However, there is a space for a zany Hyrule citizen.
Beedle, with a beetle-shaped backpack modeled from his BotW incarnation with peddles that allow him to bike in the air, would be a heavyweight merchant with access to his wares for attacks.
The newcomer we DESERVE.
As long as one of his taunts is him going "OOOOOooh, thank youuuu~" I'll play as him.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Since the compilation is on mobile as well could it be that Mobile Castlevania game? I'm not familiar enough with it...

But that's not a new game right? Hm this isn't quite leading to the domino effect he implied lol. Maybe it would help to know the game exactly lol. Well we probably don't have to wait till the 12th for that since stuff will be happening before then.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Here is my roster prediction:
73 Character Roster (March 2017 Max).png

I was iffy on whether that Bomberman tweet meant anything. It coming to other platforms next week might mean nothing at all.

I think the DasVergenben and Microsoft rumors might be real. I believe that Super Mario RPG tweet might have meant something and that mech picture likely meant Elma. I also believe this roster will focus primarily on fan favorites. I also feel if the roster was decided early on in 2016, then we might not have characters from beyond the Switch's launch. So Breath of the Wild would be the most recent game to be represented.

So my roster has 12 newcomers and 61 veterans for a total of 73 characters. The lowest amount of newcomers in the series since the original, but considering how many characters we have already and the fact that we'll likely get a good bit more DLC than we did with 3DS/Wii U, I think that's perfectly fine.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Cloud Strife vs Solid Snake is what Playstation Allstars Battle Royale should have been.

Nintendo:

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Last week On a 4chan thread, the anon who do the picture compilation managed to get into contact with Vergeben on GameFaqs PM and got this information.
"An unknown third party game that no one know about or information have been given is on the showfloor, if this title leaks, it would make a "chain reaction" to his claim"
He asked everyone to go and leak that game because if it's confirmed, it would make a "chain reaction" to the Vergeben leaks.
The hint we got was "Third party game, not new, compilation, not a Square Title" and said that "we're going closer" when an anon said that it could be a Konami title
And Today we learn that Konami have a Compilation unnanounced game on Switch on the showfloor...Quite the coincidence right?

Do you have the picture of what he said to the anon?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Do you have the picture of what he said to the anon?
If I had the heart to search through tons and tons and toooons of smash archive, I could find it. But I don't- searching through the archive of 4chan.

ESPECIALLY /v/ is probably the worst thing to do in the planet with how fast the thread go and come

Zeox

Smash Champion

Oh boy oh boy oh boy... Ridley is almost here... and Snake... oh boi...
now if only the imgur leak got some kind of confirmation too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom