• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Here is my legitimate prediction roster. I wanted to include Joker or Jack Frost, but I don't find Jack Frost to be terribly likely and I also think Joker will be DLC. So they both missed this one. Will be eagerly awaiting the possibility of them, though.

Switch Prediction Roster.png

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Am I the only one who's more excited for the inevitable left-field characters we'll be getting this time around instead B.W.F.N. Deeeeee of the one's the Boards have really built up? :rolleyes:

Polan

Smash Lord
SmashSwitch Roster.png

if we're posting rosters, here's my 100% accurate, totally flawless roster. it's mostly wants and some "duh" choices. also i was going to put in snake but he messed with my carefully crafted layout so i kept him out. he's still in there but in spirit form.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I noticed how good the beginning beat of Ashley's theme is for a character reveal trailer.

Good beat for when she shows up and is confirmed. Like back in Smash Wii U/3DS trailers that beat would have definitely been what played on her splash screen.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Wow, I'd figure more people would expect at least 1 more Fire Emblem character. And not even a downsizing? :teeth:
The problem is. Who do you cut? Roy and Lucina are both popular in their own regards. But on the basis of being similar to Marth they'd be first cut.

Marth and Ike aren't going anywhere. Robin and Corrin are the most unique in terms of not being the base swordsman/woman we typically get.

And Sakurai admitted himself he felt he might have added too many FE characters last time, so people just sort of assume he'll lay back on the franchise this time.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Wow, I'd figure more people would expect at least 1 more Fire Emblem character. And not even a downsizing? :teeth:
the only fire emblem that has come out since fates has been echoes and as a remake who knows if they'd still include a character from it, Celica also doesn't really offer a completely new playstyle anyway. Sakurai has said he knows about fire emblem being overrepresented so adding another isn't the greatest idea.

And there's no clear cut, marth is the face of the series, Ike is a unique character and ridiculously popular, roy is a 2 time vet and also extremely popular, and lucina is easy and extremely popular. Then robin and corrin both have original movesets. With no clear cut and no standout newcomer choice it's better to leave as is imo

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I notice that alot of the rosters here in smashboards have no cuts, but about 10 newcomers that are “obvious” picks.

I mean looking at them, (not to say that their bad) but I feel that this might be the Smash game with the most underwhelming newcomers FOR ME.

There are a couple of characters I want, but there are many I want that are considered unlikely. But the many that are considered likely are characters I don’t even care about.

I hope this Smash game goes for more left field characters and unreppresented dormant franchises like GS, S&P, smash will do wonders for franchises like these.
Anyways, enough of my rambling, to anyone going to E3 did you get the email thing that they were supposed to send about Smash? It’s already 5PM.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I mean, yes and no? He's Disney owned legally, yes, but absolutely anything and everything they do with him is mandated by Namoura above all else. They've literally referred to him as his baby, and Disney is now on record saying it's something they'd be willing to discuss. But yeah, we all know Disney is bar none the biggest hurdle for him no matter what.

And believe me, I'm not so blind that I don't take Geno's competition lightly. Frankly, I'm only so passionate about him because he's my most wanted newcomer period, but I'm such a Square fanboy that just about anyone else would please me greatly.

All this has got me thinking... If you could have top 5 picks (or 3 if that's too much) from each third party company currently in Smash right now (and Konami if you're so inclined), who would it be? Reps from the same game are fine.

For me it's:

Square:
1. Geno
2. Sora
3. Neku Sakabura
4. Terra Branford
5. Chrono

SEGA:
1. Tails
2. NiGHTS
3. Billy Hatcher
4. Beat
5. Arle

Capcom:
1. Starforce Mega Man and/or Harp Note (Pipe Dreams, I'm well aware)
2. Amaterarsu
3. Phoenix Wright
4. Zero (Specifically MMZ Zero)
5. Dante

Namco:
1. Hehachi
2. Lloyd (Or any Tales protagonist, really)
3. Valkyrie
4. KOS MOS
5. That's about as far as I've gotten with Namco IPs, but Klonoa I guess?
Let's see

Square:
1. Sora
2. Freya Crescent
3. Squall Leonhart
4. Tifa Lockhart
5. Neku Sakabura

SEGA:
1. Tails
2. Knuckles
3. Shadow
4. Billy Hatcher
5. NIGHTS

Capcom:
1. Amaterasu
2. Zero (MMZ Zero)
3. Chun-Li
4. Dante
5. Phoenix Wright

Namco:
1. Ling Xiaoyu
2. Eddy Gordo
3. Maxi
4. Taki
5. Talim

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
One more thing: If Ridley ends up being playable, along with the coming of Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate and the Spyro reignited trilogy, I am definitely going to consider 2018 to be the year of the dragon, even if it's not.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Yea, let's freshen it up a bit.

What new items does everyone want to see?
Hydra from Kirby Air Ride. They already added my favorite air ride Dragoon, so they may has well complete the legendary air ride duo and add Hydra so I can run over all peons who stand in my way with unlimited power (at least until the item goes away).

Sonic's Golden Ring. Oh no, spin dashed by Sonic again? Wish you could dish out the same punishment? Well look no further than the golden ring. Just pick it up and your Side B becomes Spin Dash it works just Sonic's own, just charge B when inputting Side B and let it ri- erm I mean spin giving Sonic mains and others alike a taste of Sonic speed.

Too fast? Too Spammy? Just throw the ring at your opponent and watch them burn rubber as they Spin Dash in the direction you throw the ring even off the stage itself. What are waiting for order now (disclaimer I have nothing against Sonic considering I used to be a Sonic main).

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
@Opposum
@TumblrFamous
@Pikablu Pikachu
CyberHyperPhoenix CyberHyperPhoenix
@CCD23
@MopedOfJustice
@Swampasaur
@Metal Tyrannomon X

Here's the thing. I specifically said Dixie Kong WOULD be a clone. I never said she COULDN'T be an original character.

"And don't try to tell me Dixie Kong wouldn't be a clone/semi-clone, because that's just incorrect."

So if people can't decipher the difference between "wouldn't" and "couldn't" then the issue is not that I'm wording my arguments poorly. The issue is that people are interpreting the argument poorly. Because they hear something they don't wanna hear and then they get all excited to the point that they don't even really consider what's actually being said.

Instead of actually listening to what I was saying, people responded with "Where's your evidence Dixie Kong CAN'T be unique?!" when I never said she couldn't be.

If people can't actually listen to what I'm saying respond accordingly, then don't come to me and complain.

Because it's incredibly disrespectful to criticize other people for positions they don't hold and things they didn't say. You've been turned off these past few pages? How frustrated do you think I am?
...Why was I tagged in this again?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
If I was Sakurai, I’d go “fugget about it” and add either Lyn or Celica into Smash (whomever isn’t chosen would become an alt for Robin/Lucina), and give the Mario/Zelda/Pokémon series 2-3 new characters

the only fire emblem that has come out since fates has been echoes and as a remake who knows if they'd still include a character from it, Celica also doesn't really offer a completely new playstyle anyway. Sakurai has said he knows about fire emblem being overrepresented so adding another isn't the greatest idea.

And there's no clear cut, marth is the face of the series, Ike is a unique character and ridiculously popular, roy is a 2 time vet and also extremely popular, and lucina is easy and extremely popular. Then robin and corrin both have original movesets. With no clear cut and no standout newcomer choice it's better to leave as is imo
Technically there was also Heroes and Warriors

The problem is. Who do you cut? Roy and Lucina are both popular in their own regards. But on the basis of being similar to Marth they'd be first cut.

Marth and Ike aren't going anywhere. Robin and Corrin are the most unique in terms of not being the base swordsman/woman we typically get.

And Sakurai admitted himself he felt he might have added too many FE characters last time, so people just sort of assume he'll lay back on the franchise this time.
We cut Lyn from being an assist trophy, then make her a full character, and finally give the Mario/Zelda/Pokémon series 2-3 newcomers or vets

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
If I was Sakurai, I’d go “fugget about it” and add either Lyn or Celica into Smash (whomever isn’t chosen would become an alt for Robin/Lucina), and give the Mario/Zelda/Pokémon series 2-3 new characters
So basically cram the whole number of newcomers into those three series?

Please, never be Sakurai.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Why is this still a thing people say? :/
Because robin and her share the same niche of the magic wielding swordsman, so I think it's less likely sakurai would go for her, he definitely could but I have doubts that he would. Especially since the series is already overrepresented, if they add another they should be completely unique and play like no other character could

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
So basically cram the whole number of newcomers into those three series?

Please, never be Sakurai.
I would bring up the other series, but I’m focusing on the top 3 series in Smash (and I guess Fire Emblem is 4th when it comes to character reps...or 3)

And once I become Sakurai, I will make sure none of your most anticipated characters will join Smash as punishment and treason

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion

If it were up to me, I'd cut it down to Marth, Ike, & Robin. Although I could just leave it to Marth if we really need to revisit the roster & work up from there. Corrin would be okay sticking around too, probably as much as Robin.

Popularity isn't everything either, and I'd hedge my bets that Lucina is the most likely on the chopping block followed by Roy. We got a last-minute bonus clone & high demand DLC that otherwise had no priority coming through the base of Brawl & Wii U/3DS. If Sakurai wants to point the finger at adding too many FE characters, these two are padding, whereas I don't think everyone would be whining about 4 unique characters.

What do you mean by new playstyle? Are we talking mechanics or fresh archetypes? If this is on the basis of Celica using a sword & magic, then I have to disagree that this is even a major factor when considering any character. There's plenty of styles for expressing an elegant sword like the Ladyblade, not to mention a fresh animation pool straight outta Echoes. Her spellset & Valentian magic being based on health also departs from Robin's tomes/Levin Sword & telekinesis by a long shot.

What about some of the older characters like Lyn or Azura? Maybe someone unexpected like Kiran? FE has too many strong contenders that would be great in their own right that it would feel like a shame not to get at least 1. Oh, but wait, when was this a problem for Pokémon & Mario?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I notice that alot of the rosters here in smashboards have no cuts, but about 10 newcomers that are “obvious” picks.

I mean looking at them, (not to say that their bad) but I feel that this might be the Smash game with the most underwhelming newcomers FOR ME.

There are a couple of characters I want, but there are many I want that are considered unlikely. But the many that are considered likely are characters I don’t even care about.

I hope this Smash game goes for more left field characters and unreppresented dormant franchises like GS, S&P, smash will do wonders for franchises like these.
Anyways, enough of my rambling, to anyone going to E3 did you get the email thing that they were supposed to send about Smash? It’s already 5PM.
I get that feeling and you're totally right for a lot of the same 10 being picked. We will probably be mostly wrong lol. But, for some people, even one of those 10 might make the game for me. I know Ridley would, and for a lot of people honestly. But there are people that even Captain Toad would make it the best smash for them. Also helps that for a lot of people (not me just saying) last smash's newcomers were a let down. I think it's a good idea for Sakurai to get some of those all stars in instead of mostly out there picks.

Also I think they meant 5pm PST :p so three more hours if you're on east coast like me

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I would bring up the other series, but I’m focusing on the top 3 series in Smash (and I guess Fire Emblem is 4th when it comes to character reps...or 3)

And once I become Sakurai, I will make sure none of your most anticipated characters will join Smash as punishment and treason
It's okay, my most anticipated characters are already NEVER EVER. Nothing would change

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Because robin and her share the same niche of the magic wielding swordsman, so I think it's less likely sakurai would go for her, he definitely could but I have doubts that he would. Especially since the series is already overrepresented, if they add another they should be completely unique and play like no other character could
Celica literally fits that criteria.

Seriously, people don't understand that just because she uses Magic does NOT make her remotely like Robin. That's like saying Ike and Marth are the same just because they use swords. The way magic works in Echoes/early FE is night and day to modern FE.

This is coming from someone who's not even on the Celica for Smash train.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
>Have Bazillion of Brawler
>Have bazillion of Swordfighter
>Suddenly another magic user step in the hood
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE CLOOOONE TOO SIMILAAAAAAAR

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Robin and Celica are literally as different as Marth and Ike. They use the same weapon types to an extent (and even then Celica casts magic without the use of tomes) but they fight completely differently.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
What about some of the older characters like Lyn or Azura? Maybe someone unexpected like Kiran?
Lyn yes...but why Kiran

It's okay, my most anticipated characters are already NEVER EVER. Nothing would change
Guess I’ll have to somehow cut Sora from Kingdom Hearts 3 and onwards

Celica literally fits that criteria.

Seriously, people don't understand that just because she uses Magic does NOT make her remotely like Robin. That's like saying Ike and Marth are the same just because they use swords. The way magic works in Echoes/early FE is night and day to modern FE.

This is coming from someone who's not even on the Celica for Smash train.
Well they’re both hunky blue haired swordsman that makes a real boy man like Pit jealous

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I dunno, part of me wants more fresh IP for the sake of new characters & gameplay concepts we haven't seen before.

Also, who else considered the Wii U their Miiverse machine? ;w;
The Wii U was my Smash, Splatoon, and Mario Kart machine. I can proudly say that my Switch is a helluva lot more than that.

But, yeah. Seconding the fresh IP stuff, considering that's the kinda direction Smash 4 was headed in with its roster anyways.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I wouldn't be surprised if ashley was added but the warioware series hasn't really done anything since game and wario until the new one which isn't even out so her missing out wouldn't shock me either.

With retro's it really doesn't matter to me, takamaru could be replaced with anyone, he's just there cause I don't want a blank retro rep space but it could really be anyone really.

For Arms reps I'm of the belief that the series is just too new to be included in the base roster tbh
I agree on both points, I usually put takamaru as well but if excitebiker or sheriff or whoever got in i wouldnt be surprised i just go with the one i think has a slight edge over the others. As for ARMS im sticking with my gut instinct that sakurai waits out entire series to see if they are popular after their initial release to rep them in smash, almost certain for DLC though imo.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
With the news that Masahiro "The Hype Conductor" Sakurai is back, I can look forward to the wacky brand of humor he and Iwata were so fond of.

IMG_20180312_234102.jpg

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
With the news that Masahiro "The Hype Conductor" Sakurai is back, I can look forward to the wacky brand of humor he and Iwata were so fond of.

View attachment 146998
Thanks Sakurai. I wouldn't have guessed.
I can't wait for the wacky PotD showing us how fluffy Pit's wings are in this game or how Cloud's hair are basically a chocobo's butt

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
The Wii U was my Smash, Splatoon, and Mario Kart machine. I can proudly say that my Switch is a helluva lot more than that.

Smooth Criminal
Maaaaan, I miss you back from the Smash 4 spec cycle. :Y

Hmmm, I think one of the uses I'll end up revisiting my Wii U for is to catch up on the Bayonetta duology. I know they're on the Switch now, but I don't like to double-dip very often. I even got a lot of unfinished retros, indies, & The Wonderful 101 sitting in my backlog. Certainly have much fonder experiences with it compared to the entire lifespan of my Wii. But alas.

RobinotX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobinotX
Anyway, my list would be something like:

Ridley, King K Rool, Rex with Pyra/Mythra.
Xenoblade 2 music, Octopath music
Mario having Oddysey moves
Link and Zelda focussed on Breath of the Wild
Ganondorf uncloned.

I have actually not a long wish list lol.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I've been looking through these roster predictions, and I'm just gonna say that y'all are really sleeping on the Zelda series.

Seriously, we've essentially been stuck with the same cast since Melee. A newcomer is gonna happen sooner or later. Sakurai might as well add one now while the massive BotW steamboat is still in commission.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I just stumbled upon the Smash Direct back in 2014 where Greninja was revealed, and when Sakurai displays a bunch of ATs, Waluigi had Wario's symbol, if that could help his case even a little bit.

Troykv

Smash Master
It's always fun too see roster predictions, even the wildest because it explores many possibilities even if they aren't likely.

Specially if the rosters has some basics ideas of the characters reasons to be selected and some moveset ideas.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Can I just say, I'm touched that there's serious consideration for Ridley this time. I think now's a good time as any to finally include the space dragon into the roster.
Same with K.Rool.
I have but one question: Was the Ridley vibes this good during the last Smash games? I know I sound like a broken record when I'm constantly asking "how was the Ridley anticipation like before?" but I really want to know if there's a difference, on the off chance thay the universe obliges by these good vibes and gives us what we finally want.
Ridley was very wanted for Brawl, but there was a really long line of highly requested newcomers for that game, so amongst the likes of Sonic, Wario, Dedede, Diddy Kong, Lucario and Meta Knight, plus other popular characters that didn't get in like Geno and Krystal, he didn't quite stand out as much as he would end up doing for later games. Not really basing this off of anything but the feeling I remember from back then, but it felt like the general consensus was a bit 50/50 whether he'd be in or not, there was a lot of confusion as to whether ZSS was counted as a proper newcomer aswell.

For Smash 4 he was very much expected to be in, because of the competition not being as fierce he was around the top of almost every poll both in terms of chance and want, fans had practically already rolled out the red carpet. Ridley, K. Rool, Mega Man and Mewtwo were also dubbed 'The Big Four' for a while due to how wanted and expected they were, until Mega Man's early confirmation dissolved that little cliqué of course. When it began looking like he wasn't in things turned incredibly sour, a large part of the vile reaction to his exclusion was because most people really thought he'd be in, so it came as both a shock and a disappointment, and on top of that detractors (of which there were many) were flaunting their stuff as much as they possibly could.

This time it's very different, it's far more low key and less hysterical. Almost nobody expects him this time (pre-leak at least), so Ridley fans have just been left alone so they can hope for the best, and none of his fans are really jumping the gun either. I like how it is atm, it's far more peaceful and level-headed, and you practically never see any discussions about his size on here anymore either, which used to be one of the most common and vile discussions in the Smash fanbase, so in that regard I'd say the vibes are better than ever. I don't think the Ridley fanbase is anywhere nearly as optimistic as it used to be though, a lot of us have been bitten too many times to really believe the leak, but considering the circumstances I only think that's a good thing.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
INCOMING OMNIPOST!
You've been warned.

I mean, yes and no? He's Disney owned legally, yes, but absolutely anything and everything they do with him is mandated by Namoura above all else. They've literally referred to him as his baby, and Disney is now on record saying it's something they'd be willing to discuss. But yeah, we all know Disney is bar none the biggest hurdle for him no matter what.

And believe me, I'm not so blind that I don't take Geno's competition lightly. Frankly, I'm only so passionate about him because he's my most wanted newcomer period, but I'm such a Square fanboy that just about anyone else would please me greatly.

All this has got me thinking... If you could have top 5 picks (or 3 if that's too much) from each third party company currently in Smash right now (and Konami if you're so inclined), who would it be? Reps from the same game are fine.

For me it's:

Square:
1. Geno
2. Sora
3. Neku Sakabura
4. Terra Branford
5. Chrono

SEGA:
1. Tails
2. NiGHTS
3. Billy Hatcher
4. Beat
5. Arle

Capcom:
1. Starforce Mega Man and/or Harp Note (Pipe Dreams, I'm well aware)
2. Amaterarsu
3. Phoenix Wright
4. Zero (Specifically MMZ Zero)
5. Dante

Namco:
1. Hehachi
2. Lloyd (Or any Tales protagonist, really)
3. Valkyrie
4. KOS MOS
5. That's about as far as I've gotten with Namco IPs, but Klonoa I guess?
Square-Enix:

1. Terra/Kefka
  2. Slime
  3. Sora
  4. Geno/Mallow
  5. 2B

SEGA:

1. Tails
  2. Masked Lumen
  3. NiGHTS
  4. Billy Hatcher
  5. Hatsune Mika

Bandai Namco:

1. KOS-MOS
  2. Valkyrie
  3. Sophitia
  4. Gil
  5. Heihachi

Yea, let's freshen it up a bit.

What new items does everyone want to see?
I think its high time the Briedablik gets introduced as a new summoning item. It could blast an Orb that travels a short distance (or even charges for range & maybe appearance rate) before a Fire Emblem character comes out for an attack or special effect. There's so many great cast members throughout the games, it puts Pokémon to shame!

Lyn yes...but why Kiran
Because why the hail not? Besides, there's too many FE characters, so why not make them one? :troll:

I guess this goes hand-in-hand with the above quote. If we don't get the Breidablik as a new summoning item, Kiran could really make all these speculas schmidt me weeks worth of Orbs when he comes shootin' different FE characters from it for his specials or even his standards! Imagine using the blasts of launching an armor Knight from the gun for momentum techs!

Its a lot of the reason why someone like a Megami Tensei Summoner would feel really cool to me. Every single attack brings a projection of a unique monster to fit into each of their attacks or assist in their flashy attack maneuvers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom