• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS Is Breaking Circle Pads

AntPlus

Smash Rookie
NNID
Solidant
3DS FC
3582-9131-7358
Sample size: 1

No, no you don't know what you're talking about anymore than anyone else here. You have however demonstrated you are part of the sad group that blames themselves for a design flaw, and it sounds like in response to a faulty product, you went and gave the company at fault even more money for it.

I'm not saying I'm certain it's too flimsy, but rather there seems to be a large enough number of people having problems now, and in the past, that there does seem to be an issue. That's what's being discussed here. If it can break from play, it's faulty, so unless there is a huge subgroup who are actually getting a tool and breaking it off, then there seems to be an issue.

I don't know, it might just be the American "screw you, got mine" attitude coming out on here, I'm not sure, but where I come from the expectation is that a product can survive what it's designed to be used for, and we have laws protecting our consumers in such a case that they don't.
You would have to stick a knife under the thing and literally snap it off like that. Otherwise it's an immense amount of force needed.

the end

Gwoop

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gwoopington
3DS FC
5455-9855-7285
The rubber cover of my circle pad fell off a few months back. The adhesive had just worn away from playing over the years. I think that's an understandable deterioration of the system. What I don't understand is how people have managed to actually shatter the hard plastic of the circle pad. As much as we all love our games, if you find yourself feeling the need to exert that much pressure as you play it might be about time to put the 3DS into sleep mode and go for a walk or something, honestly.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Let me be frank. My 3DS is getting worn out... I really don't want to buy an XL because the New 3DS is around the corner. What can I do to help keep my buttons and the circle pad from being worn out from smash. I already feel my 3DS taking a toll from the demo.... Any suggestions?

Hoser

Smash Ace
Buy replacement buttons/circle pad and replace them.

There are plenty of guides online telling you how to do it (its really easy) and the parts are pretty cheap online.

Ridleyisforever

Smash Cadet
I have the Special English demo and I'm so worried my circle pad is going to break! If it breaks before the actual game comes out I'll have to replace the circle pad(If that's even possible)before the game comes out....

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Could someone post a link to the best button replacement video they know of?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Let me be frank. My 3DS is getting worn out... I really don't want to buy an XL because the New 3DS is around the corner. What can I do to help keep my buttons and the circle pad from being worn out from smash. I already feel my 3DS taking a toll from the demo.... Any suggestions?
ALREADY? The Demo JUST came out. How hard on you yur DS buttons

Trout

Smash Rookie
NNID
Troutx
3DS FC
2723-9284-0082
Worst case scenario, you could always pick up a refurbished 2DS from Nintendo to tide you over until the New 3DS is released. They're $80, and my experience with Nintendo's refurbished products has been that they're pretty much in 'like new' condition.

Hoser

Smash Ace
Could someone post a link to the best button replacement video they know of?
I have one saved my PC at home. I'll post it here and/or PM it to you later. I used to buy broken 3DSs, fix them, and resell them. Circle pad replacement is so easy. I don't think I ever had to replace buttons, but if I remember correctly, it's just as easy.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I don't need one in particular, but there are people who might need it soon. Just trying to get the video up earlier so people can fix their 3ds as soon as they can. You should post it on this thread or make a new one for people that need it.

Hoser

Smash Ace
I don't need one in particular, but there are people who might need it soon. Just trying to get the video up earlier so people can fix their 3ds as soon as they can. You should post it on this thread or make a new one for people that need it.
That's not a bad idea. I'll make a small guide on how to fix various issues such as circle pad replacement, button replacement, and L/R replacement.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
You people are brutes with your 3DS if you are wearing it out by playing Super Smash Bros. In one week.

Hoser

Smash Ace
You people are brutes with your 3DS if you are wearing it out by playing Super Smash Bros. In one week.
Some people play hard. I have friends that do that. You should see our gamecube controllers. We've got about 12, and only 3 of them are really usable. Out of those 3, I would only be comfortable using one of them at a tournament.

Reila

Some people play hard. I have friends that do that. You should see our gamecube controllers. We've got about 12, and only 3 of them are really usable. Out of those 3, I would only be comfortable using one of them at a tournament.
I know, I have seen some terrifying pictures of wrecked Gamecube controllers. I think people who play hard should prioritize the console version of the game, since it is easier and simpler to replace a controller than buttons on a handheld. As sturdy as Nintendo handhelds are, they aren't indestructible.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
ALREADY? The Demo JUST came out. How hard on you yur DS buttons
Be aware that I bought my 3DS on release date and I have over 1500 hours on that thing. Smash just takes the cake when it comes to breaking things, and I do be careful when I play. It's just turn canceling and all of the mechanics in the game are going to be very strenuous on the system. It's not broken by any means, it just feels worn.

Last edited:

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
some people drive their cars hard and wreck them too.

not the cars fault.
I don't remember anyone blaming their 3ds.
People are radical with their handhelds, but they're not saying the 3ds isn't sturdy enough.
They just don't 3ds well or something.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Be aware that I bought my 3DS on release date and I have over 1500 hours on that thing. Smash just takes the cake when it comes to breaking things, and I do be careful when I play. It's just turn canceling and all of the mechanics in the game are going to be very strenuous on the system. It's not broken by any means, it just feels worn.
I guess I shouldnt be talking, my 3DS XL is only 2 years old because the top screen of my first one broke on me, Still dont konw If I can fix that. I understand what you mean, I apollogize for eing so rude to you. The best you can do is try to use the buttons like you have soft rabbit feet and kitten paws

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

I bought a grip for my circle pad, makes it so I only need to go half as intense on it for the freedom of movement I need. I recommend it.

As for the buttons, don't press them like you're using a Smash attack on on your 3DS at 150% and it shouldn't be an issue.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
That seems like an odd thing to do. I mean, Smash is intense, but not intense enough to smush buttons without someone laying their fingers on them.
I've also sen people blame nintendo for "making the 3DS to fragile and bad" which they get yelled at by eveyone saying it isnt nintendos fault they go beast on the stick.

Reila

I bought a grip for my circle pad, makes it so I only need to go half as intense on it for the freedom of movement I need. I recommend it.

As for the buttons, don't press them like you're using a Smash attack on on your 3DS at 150% and it shouldn't be an issue.
What grip?

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I've also sen people blame nintendo for "making the 3DS to fragile and bad" which they get yelled at by eveyone saying it isnt nintendos fault they go beast on the stick.
Well, I can see people blaming the handheld because that's what people do, but to blame a game is just radical. That like blaming your car's radio for your bad driving or something.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
The rubber cover of my circle pad fell off a few months back. The adhesive had just worn away from playing over the years. I think that's an understandable deterioration of the system.
You think that a product not lasting the console generation's lifetime is acceptable? The stick should last from release to the release of the first 9th generation handheld, failing now due to use is a terrible sign.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
Just for those who has this issues: if you've played melee before, the inputs in this game are more sensitive and you have more liberty to not move the stick that much quick.

What I mean is in melee, as you press A, you had to push it quite fast where the stick would hit the edge as your thumb pressed the A button.

In 3ds, you could gently pull the stick so that it feels like normal movement and push A and as long as you were holding all the way, it works as a smash.

So, if you got used to melee inputs, that may have been the problem and you would have to get used to the 3ds circle pad.

I had this issue until I knew about that and I was not aware I got this habits since melee, had the same in brawl, but it looks like this game will break it.

It's possible to avoid the break of the cover, but you can always put the cover back and just continue to use it.
My GameCube control stick's rubber part never lasts very long after playing Melee. :p

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
On the topic of improving grips... Has anyone played the game with the Circle Pad Pro attached? I'm curious if it would be worth it to invest in one to hold me over until we get the New 3DS stateside. Does the CPP have a more comfortable grip? Do the second stick and shoulder buttons function for Smash? I'd appreciate it if anyone could elaborate, since I haven't noticed it brought up anywhere else.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Just for those who has this issues: if you've played melee before, the inputs in this game are more sensitive and you have more liberty to not move the stick that much quick.

What I mean is in melee, as you press A, you had to push it quite fast where the stick would hit the edge as your thumb pressed the A button.

In 3ds, you could gently pull the stick so that it feels like normal movement and push A and as long as you were holding all the way, it works as a smash.

So, if you got used to melee inputs, that may have been the problem and you would have to get used to the 3ds circle pad.

I had this issue until I knew about that and I was not aware I got this habits since melee, had the same in brawl, but it looks like this game will break it.

It's possible to avoid the break of the cover, but you can always put the cover back and just continue to use it.
Very informative post. I was wondering why i'd accident so smash attacks sometimes. Thanks

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
On the topic of improving grips... Has anyone played the game with the Circle Pad Pro attached? I'm curious if it would be worth it to invest in one to hold me over until we get the New 3DS stateside. Does the CPP have a more comfortable grip? Do the second stick and shoulder buttons function for Smash? I'd appreciate it if anyone could elaborate, since I haven't noticed it brought up anywhere else.
It doesn't work at all.

D

Deleted member 245254

This is just my opinion, and I will admit I tend to have a minimalist approach to certain things but I find the CPP (especially for the LL) to be quite large and almost heavy. It easily starts to weigh my hands down when playing without a sufficient hand rest.

It completely takes away the portability of your console to boot, which I imagine is the point for a lot of people.

If you don't mind people occasionally staring due to the abnormal size and weight doesn't bother you, go for it, but the circle pad itself will be useless. You would only be getting it for the potential of having a more comfortable grip...which I think there are better accessories for.

The CPP's usage is literally singled out to being necessary for optimal Monster Hunter gameplay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
How do the buttons wear out? It's not like they are like the DS's where they have no click to them over time. My circle pad is nice and loose but I'm not breaking it by any means. Jesus christ people.

Last edited:
Top Bottom