• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. director says character selection is stressful 'almost to the brink of death'

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Too bad that he isn't going to "talk as much" through the dojo as during Brawl's devolpment=(

phate

Smash Apprentice
Too bad that he isn't going to "talk as much" through the dojo as during Brawl's devolpment=(
You are correct sir. All of our speculation is pretty useless since we will likely never know what will truly happen unless they leave bread crumbs of cut characters like they did on brawl's disc.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Side Note: Have we been presented with the idea of why we should buy both versions? I mean, I will buy because the game is called Smash Bros, but the only version differences so far are stages and some kind of customization. I'm all for portable smash, but it seems like a silly idea when you don't establish any cool connectivity or reason to buy both versions.

It's all going to depend on this customization that he keeps talking about. I don't know if someone has a source, but does Sakurai go into specific with the customization? I don't own a DS, so if its just a customization of looks, I probably won't bother. But if we are able to customize move sets... I will have to seriously consider getting one.

phate

Smash Apprentice
It's all going to depend on this customization that he keeps talking about. I don't know if someone has a source, but does Sakurai go into specific with the customization? I don't own a DS, so if its just a customization of looks, I probably won't bother. But if we are able to customize move sets... I will have to seriously consider getting one.

He hasn't specified yet as far as I've heard over the internets. I honestly hope there isn't a huge amount of customization. Customization is for games about the player. This game is about the all stars of Nintendo franchises. Molding and manipulating them would distract you from the main focus of the game, not to mention it would create quite a large amount of balance problems.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
*Cite* sources
http://kotaku.com/dont-expect-a-lot-of-third-party-characters-in-the-nex-513203533
http://kotaku.com/an-in-depth-chat-with-the-genius-behind-super-smash-bro-530744390

Those are a couple where I see the phrase. Also, I think it's a little farfetched to think that by "items," they are talking about features, and by features they mean characters. Considering that in this context you speak of, the word "items" was used in the previous sentence to represent the idea of items, in the regular Smash sense. Like, pick up an item and throw it. But I don't know, we are going through a translator and that writer could mean features, I do understand that the telephone game is definitely at play here, I just don't see it.

And honestly the underlining point here is that trying to make two games nearly identical on two platforms with vast differences in power is difficult. When you limit the overall product by saying the roster will be the same on both systems, scenarios like this could happen:

-Pokemon Trainer porks the frame rate and we can't implement him well on the 3DS
-The roster must be the same
-Pokemon Trainer cut due to time constraints and technical limitations.

And that's a bit of a barbaric scenario but I think it gets the point across. Now maybe if that article was talking about items meaning features meaning characters, and he would just cut Pokemon Trainer from the 3DS version, then I have no problem. But we all know Sakurai wants to have the same roster on both games.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...e_same_character_roster_on_both_wii_u_and_3ds

So perhaps the 3DS will not limit the overall product at all, but it has the overwhelming potential to. My point is, whether Sakurai is saying or vaguely alluding to the possibility of the 3DS being a limiting factor, I can see the pieces there. I hope I'm dead wrong though, that would be great for the game.

Side Note: Have we been presented with the idea of why we should buy both versions? I mean, I will buy because the game is called Smash Bros, but the only version differences so far are stages and some kind of customization. I'm all for portable smash, but it seems like a silly idea when you don't establish any cool connectivity or reason to buy both versions.
You may have a point about items, but ultimately it comes down to this. Let us not say anything against Sakurai for holding the Wii U version back, until we actually have solid evidence that that has happened.

Evil-Guy

Smash Journeyman
I feel like we should send this guy something. Like a legit cake, or something nice from the players. It's always cool to get something from a fan, reminds them what they are doing the job for.
Keeping him alive with daily rations, with foods purposefully lacking of nutrients, does not make it better :awesome:

Man up Sakurai! I can take it! Cut whoever ya need to! But I swear to God if you remove any of the characters I like so help me... You will never see the light again Sakurai! Ya hear me!?!
Correct mindset!

Pwns Froggles

Smash Rookie
I think brawl had some poorly designed characters that could be redone or replaced such as wolf and rob. I could see lucario replaced by mewtwo and sonic leaving. I don't care for pokemon trainer at all.

grizby2

Smash Lord
lo and behold...
all the children of the earth to walk up to Sakurai's door step and have them sing "8 melodies" as he wakes up from warmth of the suns gentel rays of light.
flowers bloom with haste and animals gather swiftly so they can witness such a harmonious event. as he watches the children sing, he swears that he can hear the faint sounds of previous smash games. a picture of him in his younger days holding an n64 controller with a big grin on his face passes through his mind. a small glint in his eye starts to appear, he drops to his knees and begins to cry. but before he can shed a single tear, a child grabs his hand. he looks to the child, and the child says:
"please don't cry sir, it isn't the end yet"

Top Bottom