• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. director says character selection is stressful 'almost to the brink of death'

Wigglytuff ★

Smash Cadet
I think he needs to be more willing to let characters go. There's a good half dozen of the Brawl additions who could leave in SSB4 and I wouldn't bat an eyelash. People will understand if they drop your favorite player. It's not like they can't keep playing Melee or Brawl.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Awww, less Dojo updates? Ah well! I'm sure he needs all of the time to focus on development, so no biggie. We'll live.

This isn't anything to panic over. Sounds like he's just potentially taking aim at the clones and the characters that everybody thought might be up for cuts. (Toon Link, Lucario, possibly Ike, Snake, etc).

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
Snake didn't need diversifying. He needed Nintendo releases. Konoami gave him one. (MGS3SE on 3DS) He might just be on the fence because Konami has only ever given Nintendo ports except some weird non-canon offshoots like Snake's Revenge and MGS on GB.

I think the weirdly popular opinion here that Toon Link wouldn't be included is unlikely. He's the most consistent depiction and the multi-game best seller, I believe.

D

Deleted member

One thing we should definitely start taking into consideration, before we start suggesting characters all willy-nilly is this:

This is even more evidence that Sakurai is straying from clones.
This really puts characters like Toon Link, Falco/Wolf on the chopping block unless Sakurai opts to diversify them even further.
Toon Link I can see being in danger of the axe, but I doubt Falco or Wolf are going anywhere. They're mainstay characters and have the potential to be diversified more than in Brawl. Wolf could very well be entirely unique this time around.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Toon Link I can see being in danger of the axe, but I doubt Falco or Wolf are going anywhere. They're mainstay characters and have the potential to be diversified more than in Brawl. Wolf could very well be entirely unique this time around.
Yeah me and Frost were talking about this on the general thread. I now think characters like Falco, Wolf and Ganondorf will receive moveset tweaks like Bowser and Pit.
The only character I don't see making back especially with that spirit tracks cameo is Toon Link.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Hmm.... I read it as a guarantee that cuts will be minimal.
Yeah me and Frost were talking about this on the general thread. I now think characters like Falco, Wolf and Ganondorf will receive moveset tweaks like Bowser and Pit.
The only character I don't see making back especially with that spirit tracks cameo is Toon Link.
Yeah, It sounds like he'll only cut who feels will be for the greater good. He's not going to cut more then 5 characters at the extreme. I've seen people think he'll cut 10 or more!

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Yeah, It sounds like he'll only cut who feels will be for the great or good. He's not going to cut more then 5 characters at the extreme. I've seen people think he'll cut 10 or more!
I'm thinking we will see 1 to 3 cuts tops. Even 3 sounds like it's pushing it. But yeah whoever he cuts, I'm sure it will be for the greater good.

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
Sakarai really doesn't get enough credit from the fanbase. I think a lot of the more competitive players forget that Smash Bros is a party game first, and a competitive fighter second.

I'm guessing he noticed how players missed having Mewtwo in Brawl? If that's the case, then hopefully he'll bring Mewtwo back with his new form.

Fares612

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully this means all the clone characters are gone and that they are seriously considering putting unique characters in the game. It must be a really tough job on him and his team.

I still need ZSS though :awesome:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Might as well put this up here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tekken_3D:_Prime_Edition
Well according to here, the 3ds version of tekken 3d had a roster for up to 41.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Street_Fighter_IV:_3D_Edition
While SSF4 had 35 characters total in the 3DS version.
It's got me a little worried that SSB3DS won't be able to handle many more characters with more than 40.
Tekken's roster was an exact copy of Tekken 6's roster while SSF4's was exactly the same as its console counterpart at the time. So you really can't make any judgments based off of this. Not only that, but Tekken also included the full Blood Vengeance movie.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Which fighting game on the 3DS has exceeded over 40 characters, that's what I want to know.
Like Kuma said, Tekken 3D has 41 characters, but also has an entire movie. Movies consume a crapload of memory.

By the way, Sakurai stated the limitations on the 3DS are not memory issues but problems implementing characters that involve multiple fighters at the same time (such as the Ice Climbers).

3DS cards can hold up to 8 GB, which is the same as a Wii dual layered disc (like Brawl). Super Street Fighter IV 3D and Tekken on 3DS don't even reach the 4 GB milestone.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm not aware of any, but as it's been mentioned several times, the Brawl roster only took up 2 GB of space. That number is significantly decreased when you lower the resolution of the models, effects. etc. onto a handheld system like the 3DS. Chances are, Tekken Blood Vengeance took more of the cartidges memory than the combined roster in 3D Prime Edition.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Not to mention that both of these games were released fairly early in the 3DS's life cycle meaning that the developers were working with completely new hardware when these games were in development. 41 characters is pretty impressive when you consider how both of these games were basically testing the waters for this system when it was in its infancy.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Which fighting game on the 3DS has exceeded over 40 characters, that's what I want to know.
But why? It's absolutely useless to know.
It's not like 1 smash character = 1 tekken character... They're different games c'mon, do I really have to explain this?
Hey how many levels had New Super Mario Bros. 2? I need to know to understand how many dungeons the next Zelda will have...

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
But why? It's absolutely useless to know.
It's not like 1 smash character = 1 tekken character... They're different games c'mon, do I really have to explain this?
Hey how many levels had New Super Mario Bros. 2? I need to know to understand how many dungeons the next Zelda will have...
Yes I know but doesn't a character hold lots of MB for a game.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Look, let's think about this a bit more rationally. Say if Toon Link were indeed to be cut, what justifiable replacement do you think he would get who wouldn't just be another child Link (Eg. Young Link and Classic Link) for the Zelda series?

The only ones I can think of who would have some kind of chance would be Tingle and Impa. And if Sakurai were to add Tingle he would probably represent his own series and I personally just can't see Sakurai adding Impa, I could be wrong though. :/ And I really don't see Ghirahim making it in in my opinion.

This would then leave the two other child Link's that are Young Link and Classic Link. I just don't see the point of removing Toon Link "For the greater good" only to replace him with someone who would essentially have the same moveset as him and serve the same purpose.

Of course there is also the possibility that they may cut Toon Link and don't give him any replacement, but I'm not sure if the reaction to the Zelda series only having 3 spots would be seen that favorable at this point, especially if Mario and Pokemon stay with 4 or maybe even gain a 5th spot in the roster. Some fans (Especially Zelda fans) would probably feel a little a cheated about it. But I guess that's just me... Of course it is possible for the zelda series to only have three spots in the roster this time around, I won't deny that.

Oh well, that's just my opinion really. :/ Feel free to thrash it all you want. I just don't see the point of cutting Toon Link only to likely replace him with another child Link. What's so "Greater good" about that? :/

Sorry if I sounded like I was ranting or something, I didn't mean to. ^^; I realize Toon Link has a chance of getting cut, I'm not going to sit there in denial. I just don't think he is that likely of getting cut, especially since they didn't bother to replace Twilight Princess Link and Starfox Command Fox with whichever design is more "recent". (Aka. Skyward Sword/Ocarina of Time 3D Link and Starfox 64 3D Fox), but yeah, there is Other M Samus though.

In the end, only time will tell about Toon Link's fate.

Renji64

Smash Lord
I hope he takes a break after this i know the demand and expectations could lead to alot of stress. I hope he doesn't change the clone characters too much they played different even if their moves were the same falco's changes were so bad.

CoolGhoul

Smash Rookie
NNID
CoolGhoul
Switch FC
SW-6195-9616-6794
Snake didn't need diversifying. He needed Nintendo releases. Konoami gave him one. (MGS3SE on 3DS) He might just be on the fence because Konami has only ever given Nintendo ports except some weird non-canon offshoots like Snake's Revenge and MGS on GB.

I think the weirdly popular opinion here that Toon Link wouldn't be included is unlikely. He's the most consistent depiction and the multi-game best seller, I believe.
Snake Should Be Dropped For "Bomberman"! (Be A BLAST to play) ;)

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Just give me Sonic and Falcon, Sakurai. Then we'll be cool. :3

And if either of them aren't there, then I'm not buying the game. I enjoyed 64 and Melee for what they were and loved them, but I only got Brawl for Sonic. I wasn't gonna get it otherwise. XD

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Just give me Sonic and Falcon, Sakurai. Then we'll be cool. :3

And if either of them aren't there, then I'm not buying the game. I enjoyed 64 and Melee for what they were and loved them, but I only got Brawl for Sonic. I wasn't gonna get it otherwise. XD

Nice ultimatum there. Honestly, Sm4sh would probably be better off w/o people with that mindset. I'd still buy if it they only included the original cast. To each their own I guess. :(

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Nice ultimatum there. Honestly, Sm4sh would probably be better off w/o people with that mindset. I'd still buy if it they only included the original cast. To each their own I guess. :(
Agreed. I'll buy it and have fun no matter what the roster looks like.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
To the brink of death sounds a little bit extreme considering it's only selecting characters for a video game... But then again, Smash fanboys tend to get extreme when things don't go their way. For example, that one Lyn fangirl who threatened to commit suicide when Lyn was confirmed as an Assist Trophy or that one Ayra fanboy who threatened to not buy Brawl if Lip got in and Ayra didn't or compared their butthurt feelings over their favorite characters not getting in (or getting cut) to the tragedy of 9/11.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
To the brink of death sounds a little bit extreme considering it's only selecting characters for a video game... But then again, Smash fanboys tend to get extreme when things don't go their way. For example, that one Lyn fangirl who threatened to commit suicide when Lyn was confirmed as an Assist Trophy or that one Ayra fanboy who threatened to not buy Brawl if Lip got in and Ayra didn't or compared their butthurt feelings over their favorite characters not getting in (or getting cut) to the tragedy of 9/11.
I'm sure the reactions will be even more apocalyptic when deconfirmations begin rolling in this time around. Can you imagine what will happen if Sonic gets cut?

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I'm sure the reactions will be even more apocalyptic when deconfirmations begin rolling in this time around. Can you imagine what will happen if Sonic gets cut?
Yeah, the game's sales with get cut by half. XD

Joking aside

I'm sorry if I seem like such a downer to you, but logically, I don't see why I should buy a game that doesn't have the character I want to play as in it. XD (Which makes me wonder why I've bought any recent Sonic games at all, honestly.)

My mains for 64 and Melee were Mario, Fox and Pikachu. When Brawl came out, once I got Sonic, I only played as him. As Brawl has grown over time, however (And by that I meant Brawl+ was made and then Project: M later), the list has grown to Sonic, Ike, Falcon, Mario, Fox, Pikachu, Falco, Wolf, Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganon, Marth, Lucario, ZSS, Bowser and Charizard, with Squirtle, Ivy and Pit on their way to the list as well.

However, the fact remains that I only bought Brawl for Sonic. Megaman has me wanting Smash U already and I've come to like WFT so much along with the villager, but you just can't have Smash without Captain Falcon and Sonic has every reason to be in right now. Even if Falcon does make it, if Sonic isn't there, I probably still won't get it, and this is mainly because with them all having crossovers together right now, there's no reason the Three Kings of Platforming, Mario, Sonic and Megaman, shouldn't all be in Smash together.

Besides, Sonic has come to fit in naturally with the Nintendo crowd.

But yeah, that's my reasoning. :3

210stuna

Smash Lord
"Super Smash Bros. director says character selection is stressful 'almost to the brink of death'"

So he will make every character a Wii Fit Trainer to your customization needs.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
However, the fact remains that I only bought Brawl for Sonic. Megaman has me wanting Smash U already and I've come to like WFT so much along with the villager, but you just can't have Smash without Captain Falcon and Sonic has every reason to be in right now. Even if Falcon does make it, if Sonic isn't there, I probably still won't get it, and this is mainly because with them all having crossovers together right now, there's no reason the Three Kings of Platforming, Mario, Sonic and Megaman, shouldn't all be in Smash together.

Besides, Sonic has come to fit in naturally with the Nintendo crowd.

But yeah, that's my reasoning. :3
If you have a bunch of other characters you like, why skip buying the game just because of Sonic? No offense, but it's this kind of reasoning that's making Sakurai slowly work himself to death.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
"Super Smash Bros. director says character selection is stressful 'almost to the brink of death'"

So he will make every character a Wii Fit Trainer to your customization needs.
I would be absolutely okay with this. ¦D

If you have a bunch of other characters you like, why skip buying the game just because of Sonic? No offense, but it's this kind of reasoning that's making Sakurai slowly work himself to death.
Because like I said, the fact remains that the only character I actually care about is Sonic. The others that I play as are just extras. XD

I want to play as Sonic. If I can't, I won't complain, but I won't get the game either. I think that's fair. :3

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I want to play as Sonic. If I can't, I won't complain, but I won't get the game either. I think that's fair. :3
It's fair, it's just odd to most of us. We all have our character preferences, but most of us care more about the game then the characters. Seeing someone who is the other way around just seems completely backwards to us.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
It's fair, it's just odd to most of us. We all have our character preferences, but most of us care more about the game then the characters. Seeing someone who is the other way around just seems completely backwards to us.
I care about the game, I just care also about the characters I can use in said game, which is still caring about the game itself.

It's no different. :3

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I care about the game, I just care also about the characters I can use in said game, which is still caring about the game itself.

It's no different. :3
Let's propose a hypothesis: If Sm4sh doesn't sell X number of copies, Sakurai will be forced to never create another smash game (insert financial data here).
  • Scenario A: They cut Sonic. You care for the game, but you state you won't buy it if it doesn't have Sonic. So you don't buy it. They need to reach X number of copies sold, but they only reached X-1 (thanks to you ;)). This results in no more smash games being made. You say you care about the game, but then refuse to support it because they didn't keep your favorite character.
  • Scenario B: They cut Falco. I care for the game, but I will still buy it even if they cut Falco. So I do buy it. They need to reach X number of copies sold, and they reached X (thanks to me :)). This results in future smash games being made. I say I care about the game, and I support it even though they cut my favorite character.
Granted this hypothesis is to the extreme, but for someone who says they care about and support a game they love and refuses to buy it because one character they like gets cut tends to come off as hypocritical.

I could equate it with a Zelda game if I wanted too. I love the Zelda series. Always have, always will. But they decided to cut Epona from Skyward Sword, so because of this, I won't buy another Zelda game until they put Epona back in.

I get it though. Why buy a game you won't ever play, right?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I wouldn't refuse to buy the game if my favourite characters aren't in. But it sure would be a real bummer if they were gone. At least I would still have Ness and I highly doubt he is going to leave. But I would still appreciate it a lot if my favourite characters were in the game....

Of course I would still buy the game though since it's Super Smash Bros after all, but I still would want to see my favourite characters in.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I care for the game enough to not make a fuss over it if the person I want to play as isn't in it. That alone is still caring. :3

My not buying the game isn't going to cause it any harm, as there's still all of you who I can count on to ensure it's success. ¦3

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Top Bottom