• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. director says character selection is stressful 'almost to the brink of death'

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
-- Look I can do that too, lol.

Isn't that like saying you care enough about a relationship that you're not gonna fight for it? Something doesn't go your way and you immediately give up. Yeah, that's caring alright.

Sounds like a contradiction to me...
You're making this out to be much more than what it is. Why so emotional? This isn't a relationship. It's just a videogame. XD

Not buying the game isn't making a fuss at all if I'm not...well, making a verbal fuss, thus there is no contradiction. Your statement is invalid. I'm simply turning away because there is nothing of interest for me there. I'll find my interests and entertainment elsewhere. Nothing wrong with that. :3

And I didn't do the quote thing to be rude. It was to save space.

Ya dip****. ¦D

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
You're making this out to be much more than what it is. Why so emotional? This isn't a relationship. It's just a videogame. XD

Not buying the game isn't making a fuss at all if I'm not...well, making a verbal fuss, thus there is no contradiction. Your statement is invalid. I'm simply turning away because there is nothing of interest for me there. I'll find my interests and entertainment elsewhere. Nothing wrong with that. :3

And I didn't do the quote thing to be rude. It was to save space.

Ya dip****. ¦D

I think we're both making it out to be much more than it is :upsidedown:. But isn't this fun, two grown adults debating over the fundamentals of our passion? And who isn't emotional? I haven't met a person yet who doesn't express some sort of emotion (well there was this one guy...)

I reject your premise that a fuss has to be "verbal". I believe a fuss can be in written form, as in an email or a forum. Think about all the letters and emails senators and governors get that are making a "fuss". So by coming onto the world's largest smash forums and voicing your opinion (in written form) that you aren't gonna buy the game if they don't have your favorite character, that is making a fuss, thus making my statement valid. Hypocrisy, you has it.

IDK. I guess I get frustrated with people when they refuse to play a game they thoroughly enjoy because of a simple detail. And, if it weren't a simple detail to you, then you would be making a fuss over it.

It's obviously no business of mine what games you buy and what games peak your interest. You spend your money as you wish and if that means not buying Sm4sh if they cut Sonic then so be it. To each their own. Just don't troll us about it. =)

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
The most corrupt country ever, except most others.
This is really bittersweet. I'm glad he puts so much effort into this, but I don't want him to push himself into poor health, nor does any decent human. Most fans aren't worth that kind of trouble.

Even if the roster doesn't turn out great in the eyes of some fans, even if people complain, I firmly believe that we will all enjoy the game.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I reject your premise that a fuss has to be "verbal". I believe a fuss can be in written form, as in an email or a forum. Think about all the letters and emails senators and governors get that are making a "fuss". So by coming onto the world's largest smash forums and voicing your opinion (in written form) that you aren't gonna buy the game if they don't have your favorite character, that is making a fuss, thus making my statement valid. Hypocrisy, you has it

It's obviously no business of mine what games you buy and what games peak your interest. You spend your money as you wish and if that means not buying Sm4sh if they cut Sonic then so be it. To each their own. Just don't troll us about it. =)
I count that as verbal, and it's not being loud or rowdy or outright whiny, so it's not a fuss. Period. End of story. Not a single shred of hypocrisy.

And I'm not trolling just because my reasoning is different from everyone else's and I refuse to change it. I'm just different. Again, nothing wrong with that. :3

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Btw guys Sakurai is using an expression that Japanese people use all the time when their working hard. Simply put he's exaggerating.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Btw guys Sakurai is using an expression that Japanese people use all the time when their working hard. Simply put he's exaggerating.
Exaggerating or not, you underestimate the butthurtness of butthurt fans on the Internet.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I count that as verbal, and it's not being loud or rowdy or outright whiny, so it's not a fuss. Period. End of story. Not a single shred of hypocrisy.

And I'm not trolling just because my reasoning is different from everyone else's and I refuse to change it. I'm just different. Again, nothing wrong with that. :3
Merriam-Webster would like to say something to you: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fuss
Several shreds of hypocrisy.

If you aren't trolling, then what did you hope to gain by telling us that you wouldn't buy the game if they didn't have Sonic?

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I just had a thought. If you look at the characters removed from Brawl that were in Melee, they were all either clones or had a character who worked just like them. I feel as though from this quote it seems Sakurai doesn't even like throwing away a moveset, which make sense why Lucario has many similarities to Mewtwo despite being completely different types of Pokemon. So if he were to remove Pokemon Trainer, he would replace him with a character that uses pokemon from the Unova Region.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I just had a thought. If you look at the characters removed from Brawl that were in Melee, they were all either clones or had a character who worked just like them. I feel as though from this quote it seems Sakurai doesn't even like throwing away a moveset, which make sense why Lucario has many similarities to Mewtwo despite being completely different types of Pokemon. So if he were to remove Pokemon Trainer, he would replace him with a character that uses pokemon from the Unova Region.
Do you suspect that even with the removal of characters, Sakurai will replace them new "clone-like" type characters? I'm not sure how I would feel about that. On one hand, I want there to be new characters in the game, on the other hand I still want those characters to be diverse. But I would also be saddened to lose a favorite character, and for them to not get replaced by a similar move set.

Does that make sense?

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Do you suspect that even with the removal of characters, Sakurai will replace them new "clone-like" type characters? I'm not sure how I would feel about that. On one hand, I want there to be new characters in the game, on the other hand I still want those characters to be diverse. But I would also be saddened to lose a favorite character, and for them to not get replaced by a similar move set.

Does that make sense?
Yeah. that's what I suspect and that definitely makes sense. For me, there's not a lot of characters I want that would work as clones, so I'm not too worried.

But also I think this adds to the theory that there will be not a lot of cuts that aren't clones. My thinking is that this mainly applies to generational games. So Pokemon is one example. This could easily happen with Fire Emblem as well. I think games that aren't generational won't have this process applied to their characters.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Yeah. that's what I suspect and that definitely makes sense. For me, there's not a lot of characters I want that would work as clones, so I'm not too worried.

But also I think this adds to the theory that there will be not a lot of cuts that aren't clones. My thinking is that this mainly applies to generational games. So Pokemon is one example. This could easily happen with Fire Emblem as well. I think games that aren't generational won't have this process applied to their characters.
How many cuts are you thinking? I've heard several roster numbers thrown around. From Brawl to Melee, a total of about 16 characters were added. If they stay close to those numbers being added, we could have around 50 characters? So if they cut around 5, there would be 20 new characters added... I have a hard time cutting characters, I can't imagine what Sakurai is going through, lol.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
How many cuts are you thinking? I've heard several roster numbers thrown around. From Brawl to Melee, a total of about 16 characters were added. If they stay close to those numbers being added, we could have around 50 characters? So if they cut around 5, there would be 20 new characters added... I have a hard time cutting characters, I can't imagine what Sakurai is going through, lol.
I would first go by clone and semi-clones like he did in brawl. So that would be either Wolf, Falco, Lucas, Toon Link. I think Falco is staying the other three clones would be cut. Toon Link will be replaced by new Young Link, which will be ALTTP and ALBW Link. I also think generational characters might be on the chopping block after that. So that would be Ike, Pokemon Trainer, and Lucario, all of whom could be replaced fairly easily with the most recent member of their franchise. So overall, much like Brawl, that would be about 6 cuts.

I also think they might cut Snake, but that's unrelated. I feel like Nintendo and Konami aren't as buddy-buddy anymore, even if it was just a personal favor to Kojima. Capcom, Sega, and Namco all of her much better relationships with Nintendo than Konami. But that's just pure speculation.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Merriam-Webster would like to say something to you: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fuss
Several shreds of hypocrisy.

If you aren't trolling, then what did you hope to gain by telling us that you wouldn't buy the game if they didn't have Sonic?
"Gain"? I'm speaking my mind freely as I choose, which I'm definitely allowed to do.

If you think that's trolling, you're gonna have a hard time in life. Not like what I'm saying is hurting anyone. It's just a fact. Simple as that.

So quick trying so hard to prove a point that doesn't exist just to get the last word in, cause all I'm hearing is "Waah, how dare you not think the same as us!?"

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I would first go by clone and semi-clones like he did in brawl. So that would be either Wolf, Falco, Lucas, Toon Link. I think Falco is staying the other three clones would be cut. Toon Link will be replaced by new Young Link, which will be ALTTP and ALBW Link. I also think generational characters might be on the chopping block after that. So that would be Ike, Pokemon Trainer, and Lucario, all of whom could be replaced fairly easily with the most recent member of their franchise. So overall, much like Brawl, that would be about 6 cuts.

I also think they might cut Snake, but that's unrelated. I feel like Nintendo and Konami aren't as buddy-buddy anymore, even if it was just a personal favor to Kojima. Capcom, Sega, and Namco all of her much better relationships with Nintendo than Konami. But that's just pure speculation.

So the new picture of the day suggests that Toon Link has been cut (or confirmed): http://smashboards.com/threads/miiverse-daily-smash-4-photos-june-21.337266/

Toon Link appears in this picture, but some suggest he is simple a part of the stage, and isn't playable. Obviously w/o context we don't know for sure. I definitely think you're on to something though.

I think & hope Falco will stay. I enjoyed using him in Melee, and I mained him in Brawl. I think Wolf, Lucas and Toon Link are gone. I agree with you about the pokemon trainer and Lucario will be cut, but will be replaced with "newer versions". Sonic is debatable. I personally feel like he's going to stay simple because Sonic is becoming more and more a Nintendo exclusive (if it isn't already). I think Snake has a chance of staying only because he was one of the first 3rd party characters to join SSB. But I can also see him getting cut.

"Gain"? I'm speaking my mind freely as I choose, which I'm definitely allowed to do.

If you think that's trolling, you're gonna have a hard time in life. Not like what I'm saying is hurting anyone. It's just a fact. Simple as that.

So quick trying so hard to prove a point that doesn't exist just to get the last word in, cause all I'm hearing is "Waah, how dare you not think the same as us!?"

You definitely can choose to say what you want. I encourage diversity. This world would be pretty dull and boring if everyone thought the same way. That's why I continued in this debate with you. Where would we be, as a society, if we never take the opportunity to "hash" things out?

At first glance, you sounded like some entitled kid that was going to throw a hissy-fit if you didn't get you way. But because we engaged in this dialogue, it's apparent that you stand by your beliefs and you've gained some respect from me (albeit, you may not consider that much, but what-evs :estatic:).

I'm sure I'll do okay in life, I have this far. :joyful:

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
So the new picture of the day suggests that Toon Link has been cut (or confirmed): http://smashboards.com/threads/miiverse-daily-smash-4-photos-june-21.337266/
Toon Link appears in this picture, but some suggest he is simple a part of the stage, and isn't playable. Obviously w/o context we don't know for sure. I definitely think you're on to something though.
Well, as much as making these predictions, I would also keep in mind that the Link from Spirit Tracks is a different Link than the one from Wind Waker and Phantom Hour Glass. So ST Toon Link could be in the stage, and WW Toon Link could still appear.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Well, as much as making these predictions, I would also keep in mind that the Link from Spirit Tracks is a different Link than the one from Wind Waker and Phantom Hour Glass. So ST Toon Link could be in the stage, and WW Toon Link could still appear.
Lets get real... In smash bros, all toon links are consolidated into one "toon link." They don't discriminate between PH, ST, or WW link.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Lets get real... In smash bros, all toon links are consolidated into one "toon link." They don't discriminate between PH, ST, or WW link.

When was that the case? ST Link didn't even exist during the Brawl day's. We shouldn't be jumping the gun unless Sakurai says it himself that Toon Link is cut or if we see the full roster. I'm starting to get real tired of saying the same thing every day. :glare:

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
ST Link didn't exist yet in Brawl. What I'm thinking is that Sakurai has said before he believes the importance of having an older Link and a young Link. Whether that's a Toon Link or another form of Young Link, I don't know. But I don't think Sakurai has changed his mind about having two Links.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
ST Link didn't exist yet in Brawl. What I'm thinking is that Sakurai has said before he believes the importance of having an older Link and a young Link. Whether that's a Toon Link or another form of Young Link, I don't know. But I don't think Sakurai has changed his mind about having two Links.
I wasn't talking about Brawl. I was talking about in general. =P

Anywho, my thought is that while sakurai values having two links, I don't think he values that over the ability to include as many characters as possible. And in the face of roster complications, I wouldn't be surprised if they cut toon link. Not that I suspect they will, but that it makes sense for them to opt in that direction. After all, he's always talking about whether a character's inclusion contributes to smash bros, and I dare say that most people agree: A second Link doesn't bring much to the table aside from recognition of heritage.

And for clarification, I'm not in the camp that believes ST Link in the train stage is reason to believe that he is cut. All I'm saying is that from a logical standpoint, to differentiate between the different toon links from a character inclusion perspective is a bit silly. By that, I mean I don't think they would even give a second thought to including both "WW Link" and "ST Link" as separate characters.

phate

Smash Apprentice
......... "This is serious, almost to the brink of death"

*Adds Wii Fit Trainer*

"I empathize with people wanting their characters to return"

*Cuts Characters*
*Adds Wii Fit Trainer*
*Limits Overall Roster To 3DS Roster*

Don't mean to be super negative, but I don't really see words and actions lining up.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Sakurai usually includes a second Link when there is still some time left to buff the roster a little. At least if the thing about Young Link and Toon Link is true.

And Sakurai pretty much admitted it himself that if certain characters don't return into the game, it would likely be due to time constraints since he doesn't have the time to bring them all back. And that he would apologize in advance to those users if their favourites didn't end up making it in.

Sakurai has yet to confirm it himself that Toon Link is out. Thus all we can do for now is wait until the full roster is revealed so that we can be certain that he is out. Else we will probably have another Brawl Ness on our hands here. Heck he could just have been replaced by another second Link for all we know...

Oh well, I'm just getting tired of debating this all the time, can we just drop this until the game releases and we know the full roster?

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I wasn't talking about Brawl. I was talking about in general. =P
Well the only Smash Bros where we have a confirmed character named Toon Link is in Brawl. The Link in the background is just Link. Just like the Link in Majora's Mask is named Link, not Young Link. It's important to remember that about the Zelda series.

Aside from that, clones are easy to make. That's why they keep popping up. I wouldn't mind if some of the character on my wish list only made it as clones. It's better than nothing. I also think Sakurai knows that the Zelda series needs at least four reps because it's one of Nintendo's big 3. So if there's no Young Link or Toon Link, I expect to see a Midna or something of that sort. But there's also no reason the Zelda series can't have 5.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
*Limits Overall Roster To 3DS Roster*

Don't mean to be super negative, but I don't really see words and actions lining up.
I'm kinda sick of seeing people citing this as some sort of problem. 3DS cartridges are perfectly capable of containing a large roster. The only issue regarding characters and 3DS limitations is making sure that enough resources are allocated to facilitating more complex characters like Ice Climbers during gameplay.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
My guess is the Wii U development will still take longer, and while the Wii U version is delayed, we will get the 3DS version roughly on time or at least before. I think people are underestimating the power of the 3DS and overestimating the literal size of characters in the game.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
I'm kinda sick of seeing people citing this as some sort of problem. 3DS cartridges are perfectly capable of containing a large roster. The only issue regarding characters and 3DS limitations is making sure that enough resources are allocated to facilitating more complex characters like Ice Climbers during gameplay.

This, he stated that they will have roughly the same variety of characters/gameplay elements, but if the WiiU has something that the DS cant use, they will simply remove it or change it on the DS whilst leaving it on the WiiU.

Transformation characters, Characters that spawn multiple projectiles, Multiple layer characters like Olimar/Ice Climbers, and stages/graphics are the main things to be expected to change from Wii U to 3DS.

phate

Smash Apprentice
So, in other words, the 3DS is limiting the roster. Every time the roster question has been posed in multiple e3 interviews, Sakurai mentions the limiting factors of the 3DS. You are correct in saying that he specifically mentioned characters like Ice Climbers at one point, but he has always said because the 3DS is a technical limitation, some characters will be cut, but they will try to add as many as possible.

"Sakurai: The reality of the situation unfortunately is that there are certain limitations on the 3DS, so we're forced into a situation where we may need to reduce some characters to a certain degree, but we're really working hard to include as many characters as possible."

Source: http://kotaku.com/an-in-depth-chat-with-the-genius-behind-super-smash-bro-530744390

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Oh well, I'm just getting tired of debating this all the time, can we just drop this until the game releases and we know the full roster?
I think we all want some more information to come out. And until that happens we keep saying the same things over and over. I can't tell you how many posts I've read about the reasons X character should be in the game.

But, if it's all we got, then it's all we got.

I think there should be 4 to 5 reps for the Zelda series. Zelda/Sheik; Link/Wolf_Link; Ganondorf (of some form or another) Ghirahim; and possibly a young link for a 5th,

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't think Ghirahim really deserves to be in. I think history will repeat itself, and he will go the way of Zant and Midna.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think we all want some more information to come out. And until that happens we keep saying the same things over and over. I can't tell you how many posts I've read about the reasons X character should be in the game.

But, if it's all we got, then it's all we got.

I think there should be 4 to 5 reps for the Zelda series. Zelda/Sheik; Link/Wolf_Link; Ganondorf (of some form or another) Ghirahim; and possibly a young link for a 5th,

Yeah I'm pretty sure the Zelda series will have at least 4 slots as they usually do since Melee. Especially since I would think that a number of Zelda fans might feel a little cheated on if Zelda reduced to only 3 slots while Mario and Pokemon continue to have 4 (or even 5 if Sakurai feels like giving them one more rep) and I think that Sakurai probably feels the same way.

The problem is though that Zelda probably doesn't really have any realistic 4th rep that isn't just another child Link. The only ones I can think of are Impa, Ganon (The blue pig wizard) and Tingle (Yes Tingle but he will probably rep his own series and not the Zelda series anyway) but I'm not sure how likely they are.

And as much as I wouldn't mind seeing the likes of Midna/Wolf Link, Ghirahim, Skull Kid and Vaati etc etc, I just can't really see them happening if I can be totally honest. :/

So that's why I believe we are very likely to get a child Link again as our fourth rep, wether that child Link is Toon Link, Young Link or Classic Link is up for debate I guess.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
So, in other words, the 3DS is limiting the roster.
3DS is limiting certain characters. Not the roster. The 3DS is confirmed not to affect the WiiU, and there's no cross-play, so even if a character is cut back on 3DS they will almost certainly appear at maximum potential on WiiU.

but he has always said because the 3DS is a technical limitation, some characters will be cut, but they will try to add as many as possible.
He has said absolutely nothing of the sort. "We may need to reduce some characters to a certain degree" does not mean "we need to cut some characters". It simply means that some characters may need to have the way their movesets work changed in order to accommodate the 3DS's programing limitations.

We're going to have to repeat this over and over again for a few months, aren't we?

phate

Smash Apprentice
3DS is limiting certain characters. Not the roster. The 3DS is confirmed not to affect the WiiU, and there's no cross-play, so even if a character is cut back on 3DS they will almost certainly appear at maximum potential on WiiU.

He has said absolutely nothing of the sort. "We may need to reduce some characters to a certain degree" does not mean "we need to cut some characters". It simply means that some characters may need to have the way their movesets work changed in order to accommodate the 3DS's programing limitations.

We're going to have to repeat this over and over again for a few months, aren't we?
If anything, the answer is ambiguous. He's surely not saying that he will redesign existing characters twice to fit in each version. Also note that statement was in response to "will we see our brawl favorites return?" Maybe he's trying to have a small promise and a big delivery, but I'm simply being realistic. Having the same roster on two systems is evidence enough that the 3DS will limit the overall game especially if they are taking extra dev time to rework characters that don't work so well on the 3DS.

But I guess you would be on the horrendously optimistic side considering you have a Anna button in your sig as if she had a popsicle's chance in hell of being playable in the game.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
If anything, the answer is ambiguous. He's surely not saying that he will redesign existing characters twice to fit in each version.
Why not? They are developing for two different systems without cross-play from the ground up. The WiiU team is not the 3DS team, and if the 3DS team is encountering difficulty making a move work they can just tweak it to function without having to worry about the WiiU version.

Also note that statement was in response to "will we see our brawl favorites return?" Maybe he's trying to have a small promise and a big delivery, but I'm simply being realistic. Having the same roster on two systems is evidence enough that the 3DS will limit the overall game especially if they are taking extra dev time to rework characters that don't work so well on the 3DS.
And yet, nothing about his statement guarantees cutting characters. If anything, it is the opposite; they are working as hard as they can to fit in every character. Hell, I'm pretty sure that there is an interview where Sakurai flat-out says that the 3DS version will not in any way limit the WiiU version. Take a look:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/14/44...ing?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

But I guess you would be on the horrendously optimistic side considering you have a Anna button in your sig as if she had a popsicle's chance in hell of being playable in the game.
Resorting to personal attacks already? Classy! Of course Anna won't be in SSB4. Neither will Bayonetta, and I'd be shocked if we got ANY Advance Wars rep, which will almost certainly be Andy and not Sami. I have them in my sig to show that I'd like them, not that I expect them.

You made a factually incorrect statement. Sakurai has not said that characters will be cut because of technical limitations, and people need to stop spreading that rumor. No need to get pissy about it.

210stuna

Smash Lord
This whole thread went from gold to dust really fast.

Makes it look bad for the Smash community.

At the end of the day none of us work for Nintendo, but we all will play or at least try out their latest project.
There's nothing we can do, so just take everything in for what it's worth and wait.

Wait for the moment you've been waiting for.

phate

Smash Apprentice
Why not? They are developing for two different systems without cross-play from the ground up. The WiiU team is not the 3DS team, and if the 3DS team is encountering difficulty making a move work they can just tweak it to function without having to worry about the WiiU version.

And yet, nothing about his statement guarantees cutting characters. If anything, it is the opposite; they are working as hard as they can to fit in every character. Hell, I'm pretty sure that there is an interview where Sakurai flat-out says that the 3DS version will not in any way limit the WiiU version. Take a look:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/14/44...ing?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Resorting to personal attacks already? Classy! Of course Anna won't be in SSB4. Neither will Bayonetta, and I'd be shocked if we got ANY Advance Wars rep, which will almost certainly be Andy and not Sami. I have them in my sig to show that I'd like them, not that I expect them.

You made a factually incorrect statement. Sakurai has not said that characters will be cut because of technical limitations, and people need to stop spreading that rumor. No need to get pissy about it.
Lolz you were snappy first. Sakurai has been alluding to character cuts for a pretty long time.
So you got me. Sakurai didn't say "I am 100% confirming that the 3DS version of this game will limit the content of the overall experience because XYZ," but every time he is confronted with the roster question, he speaks to the limitations of the 3DS system. Perhaps he is trying to keep expectations low so he can exceed them. I'm not sure, but there have been a lot of sentences with the words, "3DS" and "limitations" in them. It's unsettling, to say the least.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
There has been cuts before. There will be cuts again. There was going to be cuts before there was 3DS version. I doubt we will know until it's been released if there was cuts because of 3D versionm and even then we won't really know, because they may cut a character for a reason besides that.

All I know is that it's nice to have a creator who cares so much about the characters enough to feel pain when he cuts them. I'm not sure if the creators of Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat said that with their most recent releases (they may have). And I am damn sure the MVC makers didn't feel that with MVC 3 when they cut Mega Man.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Man up Sakurai! I can take it! Cut whoever ya need to! But I swear to God if you remove any of the characters I like so help me... You will never see the light again Sakurai! Ya hear me!?!

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Lolz you were snappy first. Sakurai has been alluding to character cuts for a pretty long time.
So you got me. Sakurai didn't say "I am 100% confirming that the 3DS version of this game will limit the content of the overall experience because XYZ," but every time he is confronted with the roster question, he speaks to the limitations of the 3DS system. Perhaps he is trying to keep expectations low so he can exceed them. I'm not sure, but there have been a lot of sentences with the words, "3DS" and "limitations" in them. It's unsettling, to say the least.
I believe the word you are looking for is snippy. I try to not to be a grammar nazi because I often make typos, but your "you were snappy first" comment made me laugh, so I had to say something.

As for these several times, could you site some sources please? I can think of a time where he mentioned something like that, but you keep bringing up this "every time he has been asked" point, thus it seems pretty important to your argument just how many times he has said that. Or at least it would be if your argument wasn't completely destroyed by Sakurai himself literally saying that the 3ds version won't hold the wiiU version back. Did you read the link TheTuninator provided you? Because the following was in it. "...if there are some items that can't technically be acomplished on the Nintendo 3ds, he'll leave them out of that version." And in this context it is almost unanimously agreed that by items he means features.

There will be character cuts, but not because of the 3ds version.

phate

Smash Apprentice
I believe the word you are looking for is snippy. I try to not to be a grammar nazi because I often make typos, but your "you were snappy first" comment made me laugh, so I had to say something.

As for these several times, could you site some sources please? I can think of a time where he mentioned something like that, but you keep bringing up this "every time he has been asked" point, thus it seems pretty important to your argument just how many times he has said that. Or at least it would be if your argument wasn't completely destroyed by Sakurai himself literally saying that the 3ds version won't hold the wiiU version back. Did you read the link TheTuninator provided you? Because the following was in it. "...if there are some items that can't technically be acomplished on the Nintendo 3ds, he'll leave them out of that version." And in this context it is almost unanimously agreed that by items he means features.

There will be character cuts, but not because of the 3ds version.
*Cite* sources
http://kotaku.com/dont-expect-a-lot-of-third-party-characters-in-the-nex-513203533
http://kotaku.com/an-in-depth-chat-with-the-genius-behind-super-smash-bro-530744390

Those are a couple where I see the phrase. Also, I think it's a little farfetched to think that by "items," they are talking about features, and by features they mean characters. Considering that in this context you speak of, the word "items" was used in the previous sentence to represent the idea of items, in the regular Smash sense. Like, pick up an item and throw it. But I don't know, we are going through a translator and that writer could mean features, I do understand that the telephone game is definitely at play here, I just don't see it.

And honestly the underlining point here is that trying to make two games nearly identical on two platforms with vast differences in power is difficult. When you limit the overall product by saying the roster will be the same on both systems, scenarios like this could happen:

-Pokemon Trainer porks the frame rate and we can't implement him well on the 3DS
-The roster must be the same
-Pokemon Trainer cut due to time constraints and technical limitations.

And that's a bit of a barbaric scenario but I think it gets the point across. Now maybe if that article was talking about items meaning features meaning characters, and he would just cut Pokemon Trainer from the 3DS version, then I have no problem. But we all know Sakurai wants to have the same roster on both games.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...e_same_character_roster_on_both_wii_u_and_3ds

So perhaps the 3DS will not limit the overall product at all, but it has the overwhelming potential to. My point is, whether Sakurai is saying or vaguely alluding to the possibility of the 3DS being a limiting factor, I can see the pieces there. I hope I'm dead wrong though, that would be great for the game.

Side Note: Have we been presented with the idea of why we should buy both versions? I mean, I will buy because the game is called Smash Bros, but the only version differences so far are stages and some kind of customization. I'm all for portable smash, but it seems like a silly idea when you don't establish any cool connectivity or reason to buy both versions.

Top Bottom