• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Brawl versus Halo 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnFerris

Smash Journeyman
So, according to ign, Halo 3 will be coming out some time in September. (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/772/772950p1.html)

Now. This isn't in the Light House. What does Halo 3's release date have to do with Super Smash Bros. Brawl? Well, it is significant in light of a hypothesis I have; being that Brawl could be a Halo Killer.

Hear me out. What makes Halo so addictive and popular? I believe it is the combination of two things.

A. The Balance that Halo strikes between sheer pick-up-and-playability and competitive depth. Any morons can pick up an XBox paddle and begin blowing the heck out each other. IT's fun, it's simple it's stupid. But put that same paddle in the hands of a skilled professional, and Halo becomes a very exact test of speed, instinct and strategy. Much the same way, Super Smash Bros. spans a huge range between simple stupid play and deep strategic play.

B. How great the multiplayer experience is. There are few things to beat it: you and three of your friends, laughing over Smash Bros. So many unexpected things can happen in the game, it makes endless material to laugh over and enjoy. Halo is much the same way. I suck at both games, but I love them for their amazing ability as a social event.

Now, in 2007, we have the third installment in two of the great multiplayer franchises is Gaming history. So, the crux of the issue becomes this. Do you think Nintendo will shy away from the enourmous competition that Halo would provide for Brawl and steer clear of December, or will they have the Balls to pit Brawl against modern gaming's giant and try and take a hujnk out of it's playbase.

Well, then. Discuss. Is Brawl a Halo-Killer, and will it come out at the same time as Halo, or as far away as possible?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Brawl will release this holiday season, meaning November or December, regardless of when Halo 3 launches.

No, I don't know this, per se, but trust me. I've been a Nintendo fan long enough to know this kind of thing. Or at least be able to make an educated guess about it.

KalimariDark

Smash Apprentice
It can't be a Halo-killer if it isn't a FPS. That doesn't make sense -_- If something just needed mass popularity to be a "Halo-killer," then I think WoW is the greatest Halo-killer of them all.

But talking specifically Brawl vs. Halo 3, they aren't even going to be thinking about Halo 3. It's for the 360, it's a different genre of game, and it's really aimed at a slightly different audience. So, no, I don't think Nintendo will be looking at Halo 3's release date in any way. If they were, then all other games would be worried about the Great Halo 3. And I don't think they are.

Halo is boring.

EnFerris

Smash Journeyman
It can't be a Halo-killer if it isn't a FPS. That doesn't make sense -_- If something just needed mass popularity to be a "Halo-killer," then I think WoW is the greatest Halo-killer of them all.

But talking specifically Brawl vs. Halo 3, they aren't even going to be thinking about Halo 3. It's for the 360, it's a different genre of game, and it's really aimed at a slightly different audience. So, no, I don't think Nintendo will be looking at Halo 3's release date in any way. If they were, then all other games would be worried about the Great Halo 3. And I don't think they are.

Halo is boring
They aren't on the same console, nor are they the same genre, yes. But they are only slightly different audiences. How many pairs of games that are different genres and on different consoles can claim that? It has been my experience that the casual audience for both games is largely the same: console gamers who enjoy gaming as a social endeavor. These gamers use games as an excuse to hang out and enjoy each other's company. Sure, the hardcore audiences diverge, but the hardcore audiences are usually a small portion of the potential audience and not important in the long-run.

Also, I never once mentioned popularity as a qualifier, only that they are played in similar social situation and have the odd feature of being easy to learn but difficult to become proficient. World of Warcraft (apparently) also has the letter, but definitely not the former. World of Warcraft is mostly played by one person on a computer talking to all the other people over a headset or in a chat. Sure, when Halo and Smash Bros. go online, we'll get a lot of that; but show me four or more people in the same room enjoying World of Warcraft while interacting with each other face-to-face.

And to McFox, yes, I largely expect Brawl in November orr December as well. That does fit in with what I've come to expect from Nintendo, but if it's too close to the holiday season, it will threaten t cannibalize Super Mario Galaxy. The audiences for those two games also largely overlap (large numbers of hardcore Nintendo fans will want both).

Toomai

Smash Ace
Nintendo themselves have said (though somewhat mysteriously) that Brawl comes out after Galaxy.

Also, many people think Nintendo will be releasing one powerhouse per season in the Wii's first year: winter = TLoZ:TP, spring = MP3:C, summer = SMGxy, fall = SSB:B.

Toomai

Smash Ace
I can't remember the source, but i do remember an interview in which someone said that MP3:C is the appetizer, SMGxy is the main course, and SSB:B is the dessert.

I suppose you could Google "dessert is Super Smash Bros. Brawl" or something.

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo themselves have said (though somewhat mysteriously) that Brawl comes out after Galaxy.

Also, many people think Nintendo will be releasing one powerhouse per season in the Wii's first year: winter = TLoZ:TP, spring = MP3:C, summer = SMGxy, fall = SSB:B.
What about Super Paper Mario? That's arguably a powerhouse as well. If your theory of one powerhouse per season is correct, then that would make MP3 a Summer release, and so on. I think the releases might be a little closer than that, unless they're planning on releasing one in 2008. Nintendo's not going to let Wi-Fi become mediocre for a full half-year, so Brawl will most likely be a 2007 release. Miyamoto has stated we will play Galaxy this year. And everyone thinks MP3 will be first, so why would that be a 2008 release? I wouldn't count on anything yet. Hell, Brawl could still be set for a summer release, only June is Q2, right?

Sensai

Smash Master
I'm not sure if they'll have an effect on one another.

I imagine that they will both be releasing around the holiday season (that IGN and September thing is a guess, for those who don't know), meaning that they're there to do two things:

a) sell even better due to the fact that it's that time o' the year.
b) get more people to buy said system.

If the question is whether or not people will pick up Brawl over Halo, I would say yes. My reason's simple, actually: Brawl has more of an appeal to younger and less hardcore players.

(sorry, this was a very beat-round-the-bush post)

[Edit:]

Axem, they've also said that MP3 and Brawl will all be releases this year. The only reason most people point solely at Mario is due to the fact that Miyamoto himself said that.

kilikili714

Smash Rookie
Yes they are both similar in that they offer great multiplayer experience. They both are fun to pick up and play but have a lot of depth. One game won't kill the other though because they are completely different genres. Just becuase they are both great games doesn't mean they are direct competition to each other. Nintendo and Microsoft do not need to fear each other because of these games.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Halo 2 is like, the unholy god of all console video games.

Super Smash Bros. Melee was popular at the Gamecube's launch, and is only played nowadays by diehard fans.

Halo 3 is the sequel to the unholy god of all video games, thus making it the new reigning god.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be popular when it first comes out, but will most likely dwindle into an underground sort of thing like Mele-- unless the online feature is amazing.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
Halo 3 will dominate brawl hands down. Anyone but an insanely devoted nintendo fanboy can realize this. Halo is considered by the majority of casual gamers to be the greatest game ever made. Smash is pretty much only played by a select crowd. Casual gamers are the vast majority.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to ask or if you're just saying stuff, but the general opinion will be that halo 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSBB. The big point is who really cares what those people think, I think halo is dumb as hell. No matter how many people whose first console was the xbox try to tell me otherwise isn't going to effect whether I buy brawl or not.

FreakoFreako

Smash Apprentice
Interesting topic...

And the point about only hardcore Melee players playing it isn't exactly true.. My friend plays it and he doesn't know what Wavedash is (Not a Can't do, but a Don't know) and one of his main tactics is Kirbycide.. So I can say he's a Casual Gamer, and he still plays it a lot.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Halo 3 will both be System Sellers. But, EVERYONE talks about Halo. Halo this, Halo that, omg it's a FPS, Blah blah. Although Smash Bros. is talked a lot, I think Halo will get more sales.. Just because it's Halo. Personally, I hate FPS games. Sooo, obviously I don't care about Halo franchise. I'm more of a Fighting Game person.. But a bit weird taste. I like Anime Fighters which are usually considered the worse type of fighting games. >.>

EnFerris

Smash Journeyman
Interesting topic...

And the point about only hardcore Melee players playing it isn't exactly true.. My friend plays it and he doesn't know what Wavedash is (Not a Can't do, but a Don't know) and one of his main tactics is Kirbycide.. So I can say he's a Casual Gamer, and he still plays it a lot.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Halo 3 will both be System Sellers. But, EVERYONE talks about Halo. Halo this, Halo that, omg it's a FPS, Blah blah. Although Smash Bros. is talked a lot, I think Halo will get more sales.. Just because it's Halo. Personally, I hate FPS games. Sooo, obviously I don't care about Halo franchise. I'm more of a Fighting Game person.. But a bit weird taste. I like Anime Fighters which are usually considered the worse type of fighting games. >.>
Well, they're being hyped different ways, aren't they. HAlo's got a blog, and gets people talking by submitting unexpected information, like all that information o the Brutes and their Spike Grenades. Whereas Brawl is letting it's fans simmer and keep up the hype amongst ourselves.

Also, I don't think Melee was a cult thing, as it was consistentyl one of the most purchased gamecube games right up until the gamecube's death.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
...? I already knew that. I was just trying to point out that the "one big game a season" philosophy might not be so accurate.
The Paper Mario series isn't up to par with a Mario, Metroid, and SSB game.

Nintendo has their good games, and their orgasmic games. SMS, MP3 and SSBB are deliciously orgasmic.

KalimariDark

Smash Apprentice
I haven't really enjoyed the 3D Metroid games. :/ They feel weird. But I'm not much of a FPS kinda guy.

I really love all the 2D games, on the other hand, though. Fine series. Perfect for GBA (my favorite system evar!)

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
I don't think gamers will buy one over the other, and I'm sure if the Wii continues to sell so well I think Smash Brothers: Brawl might even sell more copies, all depends as a lot of people will buy brawl and a lot of people will buy Halo, their both huge franchises.

KoopaKoot

Smash Apprentice
Melee was the best selling gamecube game with six million units sold, halo 2 is the best selling xbox game with 9 million units sold. It's quite fitting that the sequels to the best games on their respective consoles go head to head.

Regardless of how much I hate Halo and love Smash Bros, I believe, that Halo3 will be a bigger seller. :(

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman
The Paper Mario series isn't up to par with a Mario, Metroid, and SSB game.

Nintendo has their good games, and their orgasmic games. SMS, MP3 and SSBB are deliciously orgasmic.
Says who? I know many people that couldn't care less about MP3, for example. And the next Paper Mario game will not be like the previous two at all; it could potentially be a surprise hit.

Plomid

Smash Ace
Melee was the best selling gamecube game with six million units sold, halo 2 is the best selling xbox game with 9 million units sold. It's quite fitting that the sequels to the best games on their respective consoles go head to head.

Regardless of how much I hate Halo and love Smash Bros, I believe, that Halo3 will be a bigger seller. :(
BUT NOW WE HAVE SNAKE!!!!!!
and possibly sonic so thats going to attract a little more fans ( xSega fanboys and even ps fanboys)

Sensai

Smash Master
Someone said:
Halo is considered by the majority of casual gamers to be the greatest game ever made.
No one else is going to say anything about this comment?

And those sales figures are interesting. Halo 2, 9 mil, Smash, 6 mil. I didn't know it was that close.

If the Wii takes off like the DS did, then Brawl will be the victor of the two (the new Pokemon DS games sold 3 million in 46 days). If not, Halo 3.

D

Deleted member

Halo will be played more in the short run and be overly hyped. Don't get me wrong, I loved Halo on the PC (dang it, I need Vista for Halo 2!!). If updates are continually added to Brawl, I think they will have pretty even sales figures.

SSBB will probably be the fastest selling and most popular game in Wii history (huge wii sales + popular characters + online = insta win)

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
The Balance that Halo strikes between sheer pick-up-and-playability and competitive depth. Any morons can pick up an XBox paddle and begin blowing the heck out each other. IT's fun, it's simple it's stupid. But put that same paddle in the hands of a skilled professional, and Halo becomes a very exact test of speed, instinct and strategy. Much the same way, Super Smash Bros. spans a huge range between simple stupid play and deep strategic play.
You are awesome for posting this, I agree 100% watch out though, calling newbs playing style simple or stupid will get you flamed harsh for your ''elitist'' attitude :laugh:

Meh I don't see how one affects the other, really. Halo is on xbox, Smash bros is on Wii. Personally I like halo and a few xbox games but I will never, ever buy an xbox. I just dont like it as a consol, same goes for a ps3. I like ps2 but the ps3 at the moment is ridiculously expensive.

I will however be getting a wii soon, I have always loved nintendo since childhood so they always hold the #1 spot with me for their sheer focus on gameplay and fun rather than OMFG IT HAZ BETTUR GRAPHICKS!!11ELEVEN

Forget that, games arent about graphics at all. That's why games like Turtles in Time are better than your fancy shmancy gears of war.

/off topic rant about how the video gaming industry is too focused on graphics

I digress though, I don't see how Halo 3 will affect Brawl. EVERY smash player is going to buy or play the game, the super smash bros series is too unique of a franchise to be overlooked especially if you enjoyed the previous titles as heavily as I do.

So yeah halo fans will be halo fans, smash fans will be smash fans and im sure a lot of people will get both games :) .. I dont see either of them having an impact on the other.

TaikaAli

Smash Apprentice
Turtles In The Time Is One Of The Best Games Ever! Period!
Oh, no comments about the thread.

You are awesome for posting this, I agree 100% watch out though, calling newbs playing style simple or stupid will get you flamed harsh for your ''elitist'' attitude :laugh:

Meh I don't see how one affects the other, really. Halo is on xbox, Smash bros is on Wii. Personally I like halo and a few xbox games but I will never, ever buy an xbox. I just dont like it as a consol, same goes for a ps3. I like ps2 but the ps3 at the moment is ridiculously expensive.

I will however be getting a wii soon, I have always loved nintendo since childhood so they always hold the #1 spot with me for their sheer focus on gameplay and fun rather than OMFG IT HAZ BETTUR GRAPHICKS!!11ELEVEN

Forget that, games arent about graphics at all. That's why games like Turtles in Time are better than your fancy shmancy gears of war.

/off topic rant about how the video gaming industry is too focused on graphics

I digress though, I don't see how Halo 3 will affect Brawl. EVERY smash player is going to buy or play the game, the super smash bros series is too unique of a franchise to be overlooked especially if you enjoyed the previous titles as heavily as I do.

So yeah halo fans will be halo fans, smash fans will be smash fans and im sure a lot of people will get both games :) .. I dont see either of them having an impact on the other.
I agree.

Even though Fanboy-ism is going to be the obvious victor,Halo 3 will take the cake.But I really don't give a rats arse,SSBB is the only thing i'm going to be playing for about a year.:laugh:

Off Topic: Turtles in Time? Instant win. =D

D

Deleted member

SSB is the only thing I will ever play until:

a) Golden Sun 3
b) Duke Nukem Forever

On the Wii of course.

Croco

Smash Lord
Anyone forgetting that Halo is just overrated in the USA?
So the question is..
Will Brawl be a Halo 3 killer in the USA?
MAYBE..
but not that likely..
Though in place like Japan I think it will be.

Either way.. It doesn't matter.
The Halo series in my opinion is just boring. I have more fun playing Goldeneye on the N64 then Halo 1 or 2.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Anyone forgetting that Halo is just overrated in the USA?
So the question is..
Will Brawl be a Halo 3 killer in the USA?
MAYBE..
but not that likely..
Though in place like Japan I think it will be.

Either way.. It doesn't matter.
The Halo series in my opinion is just boring. I have more fun playing Goldeneye on the N64 then Halo 1 or 2.
I liked halo 1 just for 2 player action, was an ok shooter.

I agree that goldeneye is >>> halo. same goes for perfect dark >.>

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Seeing how this will be Nintendo's first fighting game series online, I have to say that the developers of Halo 3 have a major advantage over SSBB simply because they have the most experience with that particular field or category. Nonetheless........

Smash Bros.>Halo

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman
Turtles in time is sex.
Quoted :laugh:.

It'll be interesting to see how both games improve on the 1p mode, I thought in both cases it was a little weak for the second installment, although Melee made more improvements.

FreakoFreako

Smash Apprentice
SSBB was the reason why I went Wii over PS3... Although the cost obviously played a role too. I went PS1 -> PS2 -> Wii (WHEN I FREAKING FIND ONE >.>) I had NES when I was a kid.. But that was a gift, so I didn't really have a choice <.<

But that's a good point.. I hope they don't mess up Brawl's online.. Only things I'm looking for: Lag free (No technicalism nao!), Customizable Options, Room System (For Friend Matches), and Able to play random players.

By the way, isn't there an option on your profile that always shows your signature? Annoying having to check the box everytime I post.

Radicalation

Smash Rookie
Says who? I know many people that couldn't care less about MP3, for example. And the next Paper Mario game will not be like the previous two at all; it could potentially be a surprise hit.
Actually, only the first Paper Mario was a "surprise" hit. Many people expected the second one to be good and it delivered.

SSB is the only thing I will ever play until:

a) Golden Sun 3
b) Duke Nukem Forever

On the Wii of course.
You really expect the Wii to still be playable in 2030?

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman
Actually, only the first Paper Mario was a "surprise" hit. Many people expected the second one to be good and it delivered.
My wording was poor. I only meant that Super Paper Mario may surprise a lot of people, as it looks to reinvent the series using ideas that haven't really been exploited before, i.e. 2-D <-> 3-D switching, and a score system that doubles as an experience system.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
SSBB was the reason why I went Wii over PS3... Although the cost obviously played a role too. I went PS1 -> PS2 -> Wii (WHEN I FREAKING FIND ONE >.>) I had NES when I was a kid.. But that was a gift, so I didn't really have a choice <.<

But that's a good point.. I hope they don't mess up Brawl's online.. Only things I'm looking for: Lag free (No technicalism nao!), Customizable Options, Room System (For Friend Matches), and Able to play random players.

By the way, isn't there an option on your profile that always shows your signature? Annoying having to check the box everytime I post.
Hey that's the same reason I'm purchasing a Wii......only to buy best sellers like Brawl. SSB games are my passion, yep yep.

And that's a good question. I'm having the same problem bro. I keep having to check mark it in the little box to, but you don't have to do this when you quote somebody for one reason or another, for this is done automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom