• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I uh. I know it makes the pikmin look better... but their eyes are floating away from their face. I know this is because if they wrapped on the face it would look silly but biologically, they're wizards.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
Bowser needs a castle stage with lava, fireballs jumping out of the lava and the occasional falling thwomp.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Bowser's Castle being a Hyrule Temple sized stage with hazards everywhere?
That's the best idea since the WarioWare stage.
I personally liked the WarioWare stage. The award system was pretty awful, but other then that, I thought it was pretty nice.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm sorry, I never found the gamecube controller that comfortable when I had a gamecube

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I may be late to the party on this but I thought this was interesting: Sakurai did consider making Smash on handhelds before the Nintendo 3DS.

I can see why the wait for a handheld Smash took so long: If we wanted a handheld Smash at least Smash 64 tier I say the Nintendo DS would be the lowest we could go. Button wise I don't we'd see a problem since the Game Boy Advance had the same amount of buttons as Brawl's Wii Remote held sideways (but that control scheme is considered to be the hands down worst controller for Smash, sooooooooo...)

Hoots

Can Be Combative
It has its pros and cons. But it's by far the best controller for Smash Bros. Brawl.
Personally, I think the Gamecube Controller is the definition of perfection. I can't think of any other controller option that could be better for Smash.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
Personally, I think the Gamecube Controller is the definition of perfection. I can't think of any other controller option that could be better for Smash.
Classic Controller.jpg

I find the original classic controller to be just as effective for Brawl as the GC controller, but that's just me.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

I find the original classic controller to be just as effective for Brawl as the GC controller, but that's just me.
*Fixed for both versions
Really!? I found the button layout really cramped up and almost Kid Icarus, land level portion, strenuous on my hands.
The GC controller/360 controller are some of the best controllers I've held.
Despite being a modeled after the same likeness the Wii U pro controller didn't fell as comfortable as the 360 controller.
My hands they are just too big. I just want a ergonomic controller. :urg:

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
Really!? I found the button layout really cramped up and almost Kid Icarus Land level portion strenuous on my hands.
Despite being a modeled after the same likeness the Wii U pro controller didn't fell as comfortable as the 360 controller.
Well, I have relatively small hands, and I like the classic controller because it has the button layout of the SNES, while also having the two analog sticks and the Z buttons, which is the ideal controller for me.

The classic controller pro felt awkward to me, I don't like the shoulder button placement and the overall shape of the controller.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Well, I have relatively small hands, and I like the classic controller because it has the button layout of the SNES, while also having the two analog sticks and the Z buttons, which is the ideal controller for me.

The classic controller pro felt awkward to me, I don't like the shoulder button placement and the overall shape of the controller.
Yeah i feel the same way about the Classic pro controller.
Nintendo should of just made a Wii U N64 controller. LOL!

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I use a gamecube controller usually, but when I'm using my wii u or I'm just to lazy to get a gamecube controller, I use my wii remote. :p

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I'm sorry, it's just that I (and I'm sure many people) feel that the N64 controller's design is terribly awkward.
Don't worry about it. I can see where you are coming from. I think I just got incredibly used to the N64 controller when I was younger(since that was all I had) and the Wii Controller now. I'm just a very awkward person sometimes. :grin:

Hoots

Can Be Combative
*Fixed for both versions
Really!? I found the button layout really cramped up and almost Kid Icarus, land level portion, strenuous on my hands.
Totally agree. I have really big hands with long fingers, so I need an expertly crafted controller to accommodate me. The Gamecube and 360 controllers have been the only ones that have felt right.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I've used all the various controllers. None felt bad to me, really.

I always liked the n64 one heavily. Pretty easy to work with, outside of taunts.

Related, I picked up an n64 Arcade Stick. Works beautifully~

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I don't have any problems with any of the controllers I've used when compared.
If anything, if there are 2 similar games using the same controls, I may have trouble getting used to one again after playing the other.

Example: Plays Skyward Sword for a while.

Later: Plays Twilight Princess... and tries to aim the sword and charge Skyward Strikes.

True story.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I don't have any problems with any of the usable controllers (except Wii Remote held sideways). And I'm pretty much tired of using the GameCube controller now. So for Smash for Wii U I'm gonna use either the Wii Remote + Nunchuk (my fave in Brawl) or the Wii U Pro Controller (I bought one a couple weeks ago and can't stop putting it down). For the 3DS it's the original model and I highly doubt I'll use the Circle Pad Pro (Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion helped me on that decision.)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't have any problems with any of the usable controllers (except Wii Remote held sideways). And I'm pretty much tired of using the GameCube controller now. So for Smash for Wii U I'm gonna use either the Wii Remote + Nunchuk (my fave in Brawl) or the Wii U Pro Controller (I bought one a couple weeks ago and can't stop putting it down). For the 3DS it's the original model and I highly doubt I'll use the Circle Pad Pro (Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion helped me on that decision.)
I don't like the Wii Remote held sideways because it doesn't have enough buttons to work with overall. It feels too small. It's great for Super Paper Mario, but bleh for Smash. Rest, however...

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
The XL's a lot more comfy to me.
I had the original model from when it came out, and I ended up selling it and getting an XL, because its buttons were too clicky, I don't know how to explain it.

I think they fixed that issue with the newer small 3DS models though.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I don't have any problems with any of the controllers I've used when compared.
If anything, if there are 2 similar games using the same controls, I may have trouble getting used to one again after playing the other.

Example: Plays Skyward Sword for a while.

Later: Plays Twilight Princess... and tries to aim the sword and charge Skyward Strikes.

True story.
Almost the same for me.
Instead, I play Twilight Princess, then go to Skyward Sword and constantly forget that I can't run and slash.

D

Deleted member

Far from it tbh.

Don't let nostalgia and fanboyism cloud your judgement. Here's my personal beefs with it:

The D-Pad is too small and clunky, which is disappointing considering Nintendo owns the patent to the original and BEST D-Pad from the NES/SNES. The c-stick is good, but it could be a little larger. The button placement is spot on, but why only one bumper? The general ergonomics are great, and the L-and R are super comfy, plus they are Analog, however, they have a knack for sticking after lots of wear and tear. The springs in them aren't the best, so they could use a little more work to be better, something like a mix between the 360's and GCN's analogs would be great. My last beef is with the Main Stick, which is great, but the stupid octagon pattern around it makes the stick get worn out REAL fast, especially with a fighter like Melee. I remember going through GCN remotes like condoms back in high school. The best sticks are on the PS2 an PS3, those are SUPER comfy.

Again, not perfect, but it's still one of the best, a lot of good design choices with it, MUCH better than the Wii Pro, and the Wiimote+Nunchuck. And MUCH better than the monster that was the N64 remote, though I have good memories with that clunky travesty. Shame they dropped the GCN design.

D

Deleted member

*Fixed for both versions
Come back when you have earned arthiritis from hours of playing Monster Hunter.

The claw is a rite of passage all men must take.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Yeah; what Manly said. GCN's controller was great but could stand to have some minor changes here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom