• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Yeah this "rumor" is getting old so new topic :)

If they made a Mario party stage which Mario party board would you like to see represented

I just want non playable characters on the background playing mini games affect the stage
As long as Luigi can win on the stage by doing nothing, anything would be cool.

(I don't play Mario Party much anymore so I don't have a preference.)

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Personally, if they make all the trailer's interesting for each character, I'll be okay with almost whoever gets in. I didn't expect myself to be hyped to see Wii Fit Trainer and the Villager, but hey, it happened. Also, Pac-Man has a very good amount of moveset potential.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
If the stage theme of the Wii U version and 3DS version are applied, then I'd expect a stage based on Mario Party 9 for the Wii U version and Mario Party DS for the 3DS version.

D

Deleted member

I'll just say this.

They need to confirm Pac-Man, Little Mac and Mii as soon as possible. That way, we can finally establish the leak as legitimate (and it is no matter how you look at it) and move on to other potential newcomers. That and for me, I can see if Pac-man is actually worth trying or someone I'll use as a punching bag. Maybe August they'll FINALLY get confirmed.
i don't know about anyone else, but I'd wager that the three we got were the most exciting. If it had just been the characters we were expecting it would have been underwhelming, honestly. I'm glad Sakurai chose the characters he did.

They also make a lot of sense from a promotional standpoint:

- Megaman VC games hit on eShop that same day. Obviously planned ahead of time with Capcom.
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf was just released in the States a week prior and hit the remaining territories that same week.
- Wii Fit U is on track to be released this Holiday.
- Two characters come from Nintendo's largest remaining IPs, one possibly the most popular request this game.
This. All of them are extremely unique characters that really does show how far newcomers can go in making themselves unique. Still, I'm really excited for what other newcomers they may reveal as well (except probably Pac-Man)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
You might be disappointed in that regard, SSBF. For some reason or another, I could see all of those characters being revealed late: Pacman, to space out third party reveals, Mii, if he is this game's G&W/ROB equivalent, and even Little Mac, if Sakurai does what he did with the likes of Meta Knight and Falcon on the Brawl DOJO (showing off their stage and icon, respectively, early, but delaying their confirmations for a long time).

Either way, it'll be interesting to see how this all shakes out in the long run. Post-release, we'll be able to analyze the strategy behind each trailer's release time far more accurately.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
In regards to Bkupa mentioning another surprise character, I don't think there will be another surprise like Wii Fit Trainer. Sakurai pretty much laid his surprise out up front this time. Will there still be surprises? Yes, but more along the lines of Toad or Starfy -- characters that are generally unexpected that just kind of fly under the radar. If we do get another "surprise" it will be another third party character that isn't getting talked about.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I don't want Pacman at all, and actually dislike that leak aside from Little Mac, but am relatively sure of its validity, since the guy made an unedited post on NeoGAF predicting WFT before E3, and said that those characters were scheduled to be revealed there, not that they definitely would be.

D

Deleted member

You might be disappointed in that regard, SSBF. For some reason or another, I could see all of those characters being revealed late: Pacman, to space out third party reveals, Mii, if he is this game's G&W/ROB equivalent, and even Little Mac, if Sakurai does what he did with the likes of Meta Knight and Falcon on the Brawl DOJO (showing off their stage and icon, respectively, early, but delaying their confirmations for a long time).

Either way, it'll be interesting to see how this all shakes out in the long run. Post-release, we'll be able to analyze the strategy behind each trailer's release time far more accurately.
Normally, I'd agree, but here's why I can see them all being the next reveal and that is because they were planned at E3.

Now it's true that people doubt the leak because Pac-Man, Mii and Little Mac weren't show at E3 despite being planned, but this does not take into account that Sakurai and Nintendo heard of this leak (and you bet they would have caught this) and realized they had to change when they would get revealed. I think they would pick to reveal them as soon as possible so that they can focus on other reveals we don't know of and that it won't interfere with unknown additions too much.

@Starphoenix: Last time I checked, the Bayonetta fan base is collapsing. Probably has to do with recent comments and Kamiya being frustrated with the demand for Bayonetta in Smash 4. Plus most people already got their fill with third-parties with Mega Man (including yours truly), so yeah.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I don't want Pacman at all, and actually dislike that leak aside from Little Mac, but am relatively sure of its validity, since the guy made an unedited post on NeoGAF predicting WFT before E3, and said that those characters were scheduled to be revealed there, not that they definitely would be.
I don't for a minute believe that Nintendo would have changed their E3 reveal plans that dramatically at the last minute given the amount of work that must go into preparing a trailer. That said, it's entirely possible that the source saw those other characters and simply assumed that they would be at E3, or was correctly informed that they were in the game but misinformed that they would be shown at E3.

Honestly at this point I don't think that everybody will ever be convinced that the rumor was true even if the other three predictions turn out to be right, as Pac Man, Little Mac and Mii are all pretty obvious inclusions.

I personally maintain a skeptical attitude, as I will toward all rumors, and will await forthcoming character reveals to shed more light.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You know with this pessimism with Pac-man, why would the developers go out of their way to program a character into Super Smash Bros. that people don't want? That seems contradictory to how a character should be like, you know something that would really get people excited about the game. So to include a character that people don't want is kind of odd.

D

Deleted member

In regards to Bkupa mentioning another surprise character, I don't think there will be another surprise like Wii Fit Trainer. Sakurai pretty much laid his surprise out up front this time. Will there still be surprises? Yes, but more along the lines of Toad or Starfy -- characters that are generally unexpected that just kind of fly under the radar. If we do get another "surprise" it will be another third party character that isn't getting talked about.
I'd argue that we could also get another "surprise" from Sakurai in regards to retro characters. I know that most everyone is expecting Takamaru, but I'm honestly thinking that Sakurai may blindside all of us and put Mach Rider in instead. Mainly because Sakurai did reference to reviving old characters and Takamaru in a way, has been revived, so I don't think Sakurai would be referring to Takamaru (not that this rules him out, but I don't think he's as likely as we think).

As for a third-party, I don't think that's it. I heavily doubt we will get more than two third-parties and we already know of one with another one pretty much a shoe-in as well. Plus Sakurai is very conservative and I feel if we get another third-party, it'll be Sonic.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Now it's true that people doubt the leak because Pac-Man, Mii and Little Mac weren't show at E3 despite being planned, but this does not take into account that Sakurai and Nintendo heard of this leak (and you bet they would have caught this) and realized they had to change when they would get revealed. I think they would pick to reveal them as soon as possible so that they can focus on other reveals we don't know of and that it won't interfere with unknown additions too much.
You're massively overestimating the impact of this leak. It was one post on an internet forum that we didn't even find out about until after the day's announcements were over. I cannot imagine a scenario in which Nintendo would change their PR plans for their biggest title at the world's biggest gaming showcase based on a leak that only a tiny minority of the potential SSB4 userbase even heard about.

Nintendo could have changed their reveal plans last minute, unlikely as it seems, but the odds of them doing so at such an important event on account of such a tiny leak are pretty low. I'd wager that an overwhelming majority of the Smash fanbase still hasn't heard about this leak. We are a large community, but compared to the overall fanbase population, the amount of active Smash forum users or lurkers is no doubt miniscule.

If they did change their plans based on the leak, they would have needed to discover it internally prior to the event, as if we didn't know about it until the end of the day there's no way they would have, and at that point they are committed.

I'm a little skeptical that Pac, Mii and Little Mac would have been planned as reveals for later on in the first place given that Mega Man, WFT, and Villager are far bigger hype generators. Would make more sense to lead off with the first trio if they were going to be revealed at E3 and then close with Mega Man, WFT and Villager for maximum hype.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
You know with this pessimism with Pac-man, why would the developers go out of their way to program a character into Super Smash Bros. that people don't want? That seems contradictory to how a character should be like, you know something that would really get people excited about the game. So to include a character that people don't want is kind of odd.

You sound like you're speaking for everyone. Some people want Pac-Man.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I personally don't hate Pac-man, I hate that people treat him like an inevitability.
True, but who else do you think will be up for the already bleak as it is Namco spot based off of Sakurai's strict guidelines to be considered?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
As for the rumored characters, Little Mac would be awesome, I am indifferent on Pac-Man, and I really hope we don't get Mii, although he is likely.

To be fair, if Sakurai had polled people on wanting WFT before deciding to include her she would have been shot down in flames, and now many people are more excited for her than Mega Man. Sometimes the developers know what a fanbase wants better than we do.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You sound like you're speaking for everyone. Some people want Pac-Man.
I don't know, some is not exactly most. I mean, some of these negative comments a few posts back are not exactly encouraging.

I don't want Pacman at all
I don't hate Pac-Man. I just don't really want him in smash ^^;
Pac-Man is still boring as dirt to me
shortiecanbrawl said:
I don't like Pac-Man
I can see if Pac-man is actually worth trying or someone I'll use as a punching bag.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Plenty of people would have hated the idea of WFT being in if asked about it prior to the reveal, did hate her during the reveal (myself included) and some still hate her now (myself not included).

If Pac-Man is in, it's entirely possible that he will have a wacky and unique enough moveset to win over many, if not most of his critics, just like WFT did.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I don't for a minute believe that Nintendo would have changed their E3 reveal plans that dramatically at the last minute given the amount of work that must go into preparing a trailer. That said, it's entirely possible that the source saw those other characters and simply assumed that they would be at E3, or was correctly informed that they were in the game but misinformed that they would be shown at E3.
Companies have changed their E3 plans last minute in the past. There were even a lot of rumors last year that Nintendo pulled the plug on Retro's reveal -- what we now know to be Tropical Freeze -- at Retro's behest. Things can and do happen. When you couple that with the fact that Nintendo''s presence at E3 was anything but traditional, and that newcomer reveals are being packaged much like MvC3 like we saw with Wii Fit Trainer hours after the Nintendo Direct, it isn't that far a stretch to think Sakurai could of held back on some reveals for the sake of spacing things out or just focusing on the three newcomers shown.

That being said, I don't see this being resolved any time soon, and like you said no matter the results here will be those who think the rumor is crap regardless. Seen it happen with many other fighters before.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Plenty of people would have hated the idea of WFT being in if asked about it prior to the reveal, did hate her during the reveal (myself included) and some still hate her now (myself not included).

If Pac-Man is in, it's entirely possible that he will have a wacky and unique enough moveset to win over many, if not most of his critics, just like WFT did.
You are of course correct. ^^ I might change my tune if I see something wacky etc.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The only way I could see the rumor being even partially resolved at this point is if those exact three characters are shown in the same trailer, and even then, you'll still have people claiming it's coincidental.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Meowth is one of those characters few people expect.... most people are all about Mewtwo and expecting 5th/6th gen new Pokémon. I am kinda hoping but not expecting Sakurai to add both Meowth and Mewtwo Éclair Forme in SSB4 since I notice that Sakurai tends to add one 1st gen Pokémon and one latest gen Pokémon per game.

Smash 64
1st gen - Pikachu
1st gen (latest gen) - Jigglypuff

Melee
1st gen - Mewtwo
2nd gen (latest gen) - Pichu

Brawl
1st gen - Pokémon Trainer Red
4th gen (latest gen) - Lucario

SSB4
1st gen - Meowth
6th gen (latest gen) - Mewtwo Éclair Forme

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Companies have changed their E3 plans last minute in the past. There were even a lot of rumors last year that Nintendo pulled the plug on Retro's reveal -- what we now know to be Tropical Freeze -- at Retro's behest.
Rumors aren't fact, though. If they are just rumors, there is no proof that Nintendo really did pull Retro's game, no? I wasn't following that at the time, so if there was concrete or near-concrete proof, pardon my ignorance.

Things can and do happen. When you couple that with the fact that Nintendo''s presence at E3 was anything but traditional, and that newcomer reveals are being packaged much like MvC3 like we saw with Wii Fit Trainer hours after the Nintendo Direct, it isn't that far a stretch to think Sakurai could of held back on some reveals for the sake of spacing things out or just focusing on the three newcomers shown.
Consider for a moment the amount of work that would have gone into preparing reveals for another 3 characters. You'd need to reveal some more stages, you'd need good-length cinematic and gameplay trailers for Little Mac and Mii, and a Mega Man length one for Pac-Man as befits his prestigious status as a gaming icon. They could have decided to drop all three characters at the last minute, but that's one hell of a drop-fully half of their E3 reveals for the centerpiece to their presentation!

And this source sent his information only a week before E3, correct? That's not much time, even assuming a lag time of a couple weeks before.

The Smash presentation we got doesn't feel like half of an E3 presentation that was cut at the last minute. It feels like a complete presentation, at least to me.

Plus, the idea that they would drop both of their huge third-party newcomers at E3 feels odd to me.

For my money, the likeliest explanation is that the source got carried away or was misinformed and assumed that certain characters on the roster would be shown at E3. Could still be a lucky guess as well, but that's significantly less likely.

D

Deleted member

I'm expecting you to make a Mii for Walhart and main him should Miis become playable.
Unless Miis can use an axe like Wolf Berg, it wouldn't be worth it.
Especially since can't really replicate dat armor.

Nah, I think I would just play as myself should Miis get in.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Truly, I don't care what happens with the rumor. While I enjoy potentially being right I'd also just as much enjoy not having to deal with two characters that are completely unappealing to me. If I want a surprise guest character I want my Dragon Quest representative.

@Tun: The point I'm trying to make is that if the newcomer reveals are more in line with Wii Fit Trainer being their own thing than it makes pulling character reveals an easier thing to believe than if we were talking about something like Brawl's trailer. There could be any number of reasons for it, if true.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'd be a bit happier if it's false, as anything that confirms Mii's inclusion is not exactly cause for celebration for me, but if the rumor is true I'll live with it just fine.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Truly, I don't care what happens with the rumor. While I enjoy potentially being right I'd also just as much enjoy not having to deal with two characters that are completely unappealing to me. If I want a surprise guest character I want my Dragon Quest representative.
Who would you say is the most iconic character of Dragon Quest? The original hero? I'm not totally sure to be honest.. I'd say Slime but lolSlime

D

Deleted member

Sakurai needs to have near perfect execution with bringing Pac-Man and his world to Smash if he expects to prove Pac-Man's detractors wrong. Sakurai knows that Pac-Man isn't exactly the most wanted character out there (he does get some demand, but nowhere near what Mega Man got) and I can say that I myself strongly dislike the idea of Pac-Man getting in. If Pac-Man turns out better than Mega Man did (which sets a really high bar for Pac-Man to jump over along with other third-parties), then he has a chance of winning over most detractors, but if he turns out to feel like a forced addition, then Sakurai will only prove Pac-Man's detractors right and Pac-Man's won't have the incredible popularity that Sonic had to save him from being one of the least liked addition.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
If Sakurai can make WFT arguably the most hyped newcomer so far, he can probably make Pac-Man pretty awesome. You are correct in that he really needs to stick the landing, though, especially since a fair amount of people expect a Tales character based on those old comments by the Tales team.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
If Sakurai can make WFT arguably the most hyped newcomer so far, he can probably make Pac-Man pretty awesome. You are correct in that he really needs to stick the landing, though, especially since a fair amount of people expect a Tales character based on those old comments by the Tales team.
I'd like Lloyd if Namco throws someone in personally speaking of Tales but.. That's probably been said to death here so I'll not bring it up again after this.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Who would you say is the most iconic character of Dragon Quest? The original hero? I'm not totally sure to be honest.. I'd say Slime but lolSlime
Slime. Plain and simple. He's the mascot of the series akin to Pikachu, has his own sub-series with Slime Mori Mori/Rocket Slime, and is the highlight character in the three times the series has crossovered with the Mario gang. I always imagined they had to go with a design for Slime it would be Rocket's from the Mori Mori series, whom surprisingly does look slightly different than the average species.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Slime. Plain and simple. He's the mascot of the series akin to Pikachu, has his own sub-series with Slime Mori Mori/Rocket Slime, and is the highlight character in the three times the series has crossovered with the Mario gang. I always imagined they had to go with a design for Slime it would be Rocket's from the Mori Mori series, whom surprisingly does look slightly different than the average species.
That is quite true I had forgotten he crossed over that many times. My bad on the negative assumption.

Also joking moment for a sec. But if it just happened to be the generic DQ1 Hero would your name change his "stats" so to speak on his attacks and his defense? :p

D

Deleted member

The way Wii Fit Trainer and Villager turn out is my only hope that Pac-Man might be a worthwhile inclusion. Pac-Man is really only going to be able to sell people by how he and his world turn out in Smash, considering that most people don't care for Pac-Man.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Precisely the problem with Pac-man is that the character would have a lot of weight to bare, but wouldn't be able to handle it. Remember that you cannot simply add any character and expect it to work right off the bat, there needs to be that strive to make things click. This is especially true for a character that don't belong to Nintendo, due to the strict guidelines of including third party characters.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
The only Pac-Man I care about is Manny Pacquiao and he's on his way to being washed up as Namco's Pac-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom