• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
So is it safe to say that Sakurai will be debuting characters through Nintendo Directs?
I highly doubt there will be the instance where he posts a pic of the day revealing a new characters and updates the character list as well.

I think we'll end up seeing a Direct hopefully in 1 to 2 months. Where he reveals like 1 newcomer and like 2 vets.
Newcomer reveals could be like the Internet version of the Marvel films. Each ND ends with a trailer for one new character -- artwork and screenshots follow on the website. It's genius. Bait people into watching Directs for games people don't care about like Wii Fit U and BAM, new character at the end.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Newcomer reveals could be like the Internet version of the Marvel films. Each ND ends with a trailer for one new character -- artwork and screenshots follow on the website. It's genius. Bait people into watching Directs for games people don't care about like Wii Fit U and BAM, new character at the end.
I'm somewhat expecting Sakurai to play up on the Year of Luigi and reveal him asap of the Veterans even if he was hidden in all the games previous

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Monthly reveals through Directs that actually give us a good-length cinematic trailer for a newcomer as well as a couple of vets would be pretty neat.

Toss in some additional gameplay footage from time to time on top of that, as well as hopefully a more detailed move breakdown for each character eventually, and you have a pretty decent hype machine.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Monthly reveals through Directs that actually give us a good-length cinematic trailer for a newcomer as well as a couple of vets would be pretty neat.

Toss in some additional gameplay footage from time to time on top of that, as well as hopefully a more detailed move breakdown for each character eventually, and you have a pretty decent hype machine.
Honestly, i'm picturing nothing longer than the Wii Fit Trainer trailer so about a minute long sounds reasonable.
Maybe a little longer for a possible Namco rep if any is in the works?

Luigi's the hero now. Sadly, he killed Mario in the process.
  • Peach in a dark corner crying.
  • Luigi in the reflection of her eyes smiling.
Idk guys this still looks like **** to me

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
  • Peach in a dark corner crying.
  • Luigi in the reflection of her eyes smiling.
Idk guys this still looks like **** to me
I think the phrase you're looking for is "I've seen enough Hentai to know where this is going." It is a strange ad to say the least.

To your original point it would not surprise me if Luigi's was revealed as a tribute to this year being the YoL. Makes a lot of sense actually.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Conspiracy theory time!

Villager and Wii Fit Trainer were partially chosen for the E3 reveals to save the more thrilling trailer reveals for later, hence Villager's being grouped into the main trailer and the WFT's being a good deal shorter than Mega Man's more traditional hype-inducing one.

By only showing off Mega Man, the most popular newcomer, Sakurai both gets the hype train chugging and distributes other 'big names' over the rest of the game's development time. And since even the unorthodox Smash characters can get fans excited, there's nothing to lose by getting these out of the way early, and arguably, a whole lot to gain.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Yeah, by "good-length cinematic trailer" I mean the length of Villager's or WFT. I don't expect anything like Megaman's trailer, except for special cases.

Conspiracy theory time!

Villager and Wii Fit Trainer were partially chosen for the E3 reveals to save the more thrilling trailer reveals for later, hence Villager's being grouped into the main trailer and the WFT's being a good deal shorter than Mega Man's more traditional hype-inducing one.

By only showing off Mega Man, the most popular newcomer, Sakurai both gets the hype train chugging and distributes other 'big names' over the rest of the game's development time. And since even the unorthodox Smash characters can get fans excited, there's nothing to lose by getting these out of the way early, and arguably, a whole lot to gain.
I would define both Villager and WFT as "thrilling" reveals. AC has a ton of fans, and WFT may not have been wanted but hoo boy did she generate a lot of discussion and hype.

2 out of the 3 characters we got at E3 were fan favorites, at least to an extent. Definitely agreed that Sakurai is holding plenty of popular picks in reserve, though. I've seen a lot of complaints about how Brawl's reveals were handled. Perhaps they are spreading out reveals more effectively this time.

D

Deleted member

@Habanero: I used to do emulators back in like... 2009, but I don't do them anymore since I'm of the belief that you shouldn't steal video games regardless of age. I know this means having to cough up a large price for FE6 on Ebay (although they're surprisingly low on copies) even if used, but I'm not comfortable with piracy.
From what I understand you would need to acquire the ROM file from the cartridge itself, extract it to your computer, and apply the English patch which can be found online, I am unsure if you are able to replace the original ROM in the cartridge with the new, translated version though.

Edit: If you purchased a GBA Flashcart you could move the new, translated ROM into that and play it.
Hopefully that'll help. I'll have to see where I can get them and see how much they cost. Also need to figure out how all of that works.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I would define both Villager and WFT as "thrilling" reveals. AC has a ton of fans, and WFT may not have been wanted but hoo boy did she generate a lot of discussion and hype.

2 out of the 3 characters we got at E3 were fan favorites, at least to an extent. Definitely agreed that Sakurai is holding plenty of popular picks in reserve, though. I've seen a lot of complaints about how Brawl's reveals were handled. Perhaps they are spreading out reveals more effectively this time.
That's just the thing: no matter who or what gets revealed, you could call it thrilling to some degree. I'm theorizing that Sakurai may be intentionally showing his more unusual picks now rather than closer to release, where they're less likely to be appreciated, especially if they're chosen instead of some popular character.

Another theory: I'm expecting one more unlockable shock character to mirror ROB, since WFT seems to mirror ZSS at this point.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Still betting on Pac-Man, Little Mac, and Miis.

All I've seen is statements that doubts the inclusion of a Namco character.

Just like the statements going against Mega Man and saying that AC characters aren't meant for Smash?

Nothing Sakurai has said has explicitly ruled out Pac-Man. And all he says is that Mega Man is a special case, and not "just any" third party can get in. Pac-Man isn't just any third party.

D

Deleted member

That's just the thing: no matter who or what gets revealed, you could call it thrilling to some degree. I'm theorizing that Sakurai may be intentionally showing his more unusual picks now rather than closer to release, where they're less likely to be appreciated, especially if they're chosen instead of some popular character.

Another theory: I'm expecting one more unlockable WTF character to mirror ROB, since WFT seems to mirror ZSS at this point.
I'd argue that Wii Fit Trainer could also work as our Snake-like reveal, given that literally no one expected her. So perhaps both the Snake and Zero Suit Samus of SSB4?

As for the Mr. Game & Watch/R.O.B. of SSB4, I think it's more or less hardware base than as a shock character. I think Mii will serve to be our Mr. Game & Watch/R.O.B. of this game. After that I think we'll get maybe one more surprise this game (Mach Rider?) and that'll be it.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Still betting on Pac-Man, Little Mac, and Miis.
Not to be a spoilsport but I really don't want to see Pac-Man as the Namco dude. I know he's more then earned it but.. I'd like to see someone else. We still don't even know if Namco is getting a dude. Nor would I really like to see Mii's.. If they are there you can laugh at my words and i'll just shake my head and try them out anyways ^^;

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Two scientists walk into a bar. The first one says "I'll have some H2O." The second one says "I'll have some H2O, too."

The second scientist dies.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Conspiracy theory time!

i don't know about anyone else, but I'd wager that the three we got were the most exciting. If it had just been the characters we were expecting it would have been underwhelming, honestly. I'm glad Sakurai chose the characters he did.

They also make a lot of sense from a promotional standpoint:

- Megaman VC games hit on eShop that same day. Obviously planned ahead of time with Capcom.
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf was just released in the States a week prior and hit the remaining territories that same week.
- Wii Fit U is on track to be released this Holiday.
- Two characters come from Nintendo's largest remaining IPs, one possibly the most popular request this game.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Not to be a spoilsport but I really don't want to see Pac-Man as the Namco dude. I know he's more then earned it but.. I'd like to see someone else. We still don't even know if Namco is getting a dude. Nor would I really like to see Mii's.. If they are there you can laugh at my words and i'll just shake my head and try them out anyways ^^;

I don't like Pac-Man, and I'm not really interested in Little Mac either, so it's not like I LOVE this rumor or anything, it just seems legitimate.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would love for Duck Hunt Dog to be the new unlockable WTF character. He could represent the NES Zapper Light Gun peripheral just like how R.O.B. is a NES peripheral who represents itself and Wii Fit Trainer represents the Wii Balance Board peripheral.

SirGalvan

Smash Journeyman
Yeah this "rumor" is getting old so new topic :)

If they made a Mario party stage which Mario party board would you like to see represented

I just want non playable characters on the background playing mini games affect the stage

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I don't like Pac-Man, and I'm not really interested in Little Mac either, so it's not like I LOVE this rumor or anything, it just seems legitimate.
This is pretty much my stance as well. Although I've warmed up to LM a lot more now than I have in the past. Probably has a lot to do with the ring stage. If he were to play anything like Dudley I'll definitely change my opinion.

Pac-Man is still boring as dirt to me, but if it means less opportunity for the Bayonetta brigade to go on I'm all for it. Plus I'd like to see some more salt from the community.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Yeah this "rumor" is getting old so new topic :)

If they made a Mario party stage which Mario party board would you like to see represented

I just want non playable characters on the background playing mini games affect the stage
I think the Practice Maps from either Mario Party 1 or 2 would be cool ( I only played Mario Party 1-3, so my knowledge is pretty limited on that series)

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
This will be Smash4's "Fairy Type". Mark my words~

This is pretty much my stance as well. Although I've warmed up to LM a lot more now than I have in the past. Probably has a lot to do with the ring stage. If he were to play anything like Dudley I'll definitely change my opinion.

Pac-Man is still boring as dirt to me, but if it means less opportunity for the Bayonetta brigade to go on I'm all for it. Plus I'd like to see some more salt from the community.
Well we're going to get a brick of salt from this community when three of the six confirmed characters are Miis, Pac-Man, and Wii Fit Trainer

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
That would certainly make sense, though I think WFT's sheer ability to generate discussion about Smash was probably the primary reason for her showcasing at E3. Show K. Rool or Ridley and lots of people will cheer and yell "finally!", but even they couldn't generate the kind of furor that WFT did.

Another theory: I'm expecting one more unlockable shock character to mirror ROB, since WFT seems to mirror ZSS at this point.
I dunno, WFT is so far out of left field that I really think she is the G&W or ROB of this generation. Doubling down on unrequested and wholly unexpected characters would be pretty uncharacteristic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom