• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Is this telling us that Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man, and Villager the most complete and therefore that was the reason why they were the only characters shown? That's what I'm getting from it.
It's more likely that this is a sign that the game probably won't be out for a long time and that it's going to be awhile before we get any noteworthy updates.Welp, I guess this means our wait could be up to 18 months until the game comes out.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
It's more likely that this is a sign that the game probably won't be out for a long time and that it's going to be awhile before we get any noteworthy updates.Welp, I guess this means our wait could be up to 18 months until the game comes out.
The wait for Brawl was about a year and a half, if I remember right. May '06 to Jan-Feb '08.
This seems kinda close.

psyniac_123

Smash Ace

Well, let's look at some dates. I don't know how well this will reflect everything that's currently going on especially since it does seem that SSB4 is being built on the Brawl engine which has been modified.

Brawl began development in October 2005.
(Dojo opens May 2007, 19 months into development).
Brawl is released in Japan in January 2008, totalling 27 months from begging to end.

SSB4 began development when KI Uprising ended, so we can assume March 2012.
It is now June 2013 and the game has been in development 15 months.

So if we're going by the same time-frame regardless of possible use of the same engine, the Dojo will start updating around October time probably and the game will be released 8 months later, which is June 2014.

This is all truly baseless really... but it's interesting.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So, I've been comparing the dates for Brawl's development and make a prediction for SSB4's release date, assuming that SSB4 takes the same amount of time.

Brawl's development started in October 2005, giving us November and December as two months of development. (2)
As the game was only released in January 2008 in Japan, that gives us two entire years of development time. (24 + 2 = 26)
Doing the math, we have 26 full months of development time.

Now that we have a release date for 2014, we can do the same thing for SSB4.
Development started in February 2012. From March to December, we have 10 months of development. (10)
Since the game will only be released in 2014, that means 2013 is a full year of development. (10 + 12 = 22)
By the end of 2013, the game should be at 22 months of development. If Sakurai is given the exact amount of time as Brawl, development should end in April 2013, giving us a possible release in May or June of the next year.

However, it's very possible that the game take more time to be finished and let's not forget that there's a bigger development team this time. I believe the game will be released on the summer of 2014 at best and Christmas 2014 at worse.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
My friend is predicting that we won't get any noteworthy news until next year (around spring perhaps).

I though be this game would be so complete that it'd be more than a waste of building hype if the fellas went back to the development secretivity again. We don't know much about this game aside from some newcomers and basic things.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Is this telling us that Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man, and Villager the most complete and therefore that was the reason why they were the only characters shown? That's what I'm getting from it.
I don't think it says anything like that. I think it's Sakurai saying that the game is not complete and will need more time until release.

Nintendo would have carefully picked which characters they wanted to show at E3.

So guys, I believe I have my last roster until the game is ready. I'd love to see what you all think.View attachment 943
Personally, if this was the final roster, I would be ecstatic. Also, I made no cuts. Would you all be happy if this was the final roster?
I honestly don't want Krystal in, sorry. Star Fox doesn't need four reps. Not a bad roster overall, though I think it gives too much attention to existing franchises instead of bringing in a few more new ones.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
So, I've been comparing the dates for Brawl's development and make a prediction for SSB4's release date, assuming that SSB4 takes the same amount of time.

Brawl's development started in October 2005, giving us November and December as two months of development. (2)
As the game was only released in January 2008 in Japan, that gives us two entire years of development time. (24 + 2 = 26)
Doing the math, we have 26 full months of development time.

Now that we have a release date for 2014, we can do the same thing for SSB4.
Development started in February 2012. From March to December, we have 10 months of development. (10)
Since the game will only be released in 2014, that means 2013 is a full year of development. (10 + 12 = 22)
By the end of 2013, the game should be at 22 months of development. If Sakurai is given the exact amount of time as Brawl, development should end in April 2013, giving us a possible release in May or June of the next year.

However, it's very possible that the game take more time to be finished and let's not forget that there's a bigger development team this time. I believe the game will be released on the summer of 2014 at best and Christmas 2014 at worse.
This seems very likely to me. I really hope that Nintendo might even push for the Wii U version to release first if the 3DS is holding it back.
With the Wii U in dire need of killer apps, they may try to get Smash U out there as quickly as possible to boost sales; and if it is in April, right before May (The end of the fiscal year), they will have promising numbers from April alone to show to their investors and generate buzz for the system.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't believe in splits.

If there's going to be an issue in regards to transformation characters work, then perhaps they would transform in the Wii U version, but stay in one form for 3DS.
Zelda: Sheik is unavailable in the 3DS version.
Samus: Zero Suit Samus is unavailable in the 3DS version.
Pokémon Trainer: Only uses Charizard in the 3DS version (though Squirtle and Ivysaur still pop out for Triple Finish).

Bear in mind that regardless of being different forms and counting as separate characters within data, they are still aspects of a singular entity (Zelda, Samus, Pokémon Trainer).
Take away those aspects, and while the characters are drastically different, they are still the same character.

Or if that doesn't work out, just make them unable to switch mid-game and select which state you want to be in for the match for the 3DS version only. That way, nothing is lost and the Wii U version can keep the characters as they were intended to be.
Except this would contradict the fact that the rosters (and the gameplay is implied) are to be the same for both versions. If they can't get the ****ty transformation gimmick (assuming they don't improve it) to properly work in the 3DS version, then split them up on both versions. Most people tend to play only one of the characters in each of the groups anyway. For most, the playstyles remain intact which is what really matters in the long run.

As for Ice Climbers, I see two potential paths if they can't work as they did outside of cutting them:

a. Change their gimmick. As much as the following gimmick is rather lame, Cartoon Network PTE had a strange system in regards to tag-teams (i.e. Billy & Mandy). You controlled both as they were one character instead of you controlling one as the computer follower copies your actions. They were also synchronized together to the point they could NOT be separated. They had specific attacks that used one character, some that used the other, and some that used both at the same time.

b. Make Popo solo in the 3DS version (with Nana as an alternate selection for good measure) and change his stats and moves compared to the Wii U version to make him a viable character on his own.
I think changing their gimmick will be the answer. I think making them like a mix of Eddie and Millia Rage from Guilty Gear might be something really appropriate for them. Under this gimmick, Nana and Popo are always together except for one situation where one move can separate Nana for a more deliberate and easier desyncing. Then, they can have Millia's Ring turned into Blizzard Ringe (picture them spinning while doing their Down B) for evil okizeme setups.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I figured Wii U would be the one to release first anyway if they were released seperately because of technical difficulities for the 3DS version

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Either way, I'm still expecting a couple of months wait before the next noteworthy update. At least we got a tentative year this time around instead of the spectacularly vague "Coming Soon" blurb from the Brawl trailer.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think the Wii U version should be given priority. 3DS already has good games and is still selling well, not to mention that its sales will boost significantly with Pokémon X/Y.

I don't think the 3DS version should hold back the Wii U version. It may currently be, but the problems in the 3DS are not memory issues (since there are 8 GB Game Cards, the same memory capacity as dual-layered Wii discs), but programming issues. If they have no problems in implementing what they want in the Wii U version, they would just delay the 3DS version.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Either way, I'm still expecting a couple of months wait before the next noteworthy update. At least we got a tentative year this time around instead of the spectacularly vague "Coming Soon" blurb from the Brawl trailer.
Who knows, there is TGS later in the year so we might see at least 1 new character by then. Not to mention we will have those Nintendo Directs sprinkled along the wait, so we might even get updates and reveals from that; and if the coverage on Pikmin 3 is any indication of how much screen time Nintendo give their games, we might be looking at 3 Directs that show off 5 to 10mins of gameplay for SSB WiiU/3DS :laugh:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So, would you guys like it if Ice Climbers were made solo (only Popo, with Nana as an alt) in the 3DS version?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So, would you guys like it if Ice Climbers were made solo (only Popo, with Nana as an alt) in the 3DS version?
No, I think they should just be reworked. As I mentioned, something like Eddie from Guilty Gear might work.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Wondering why everyone expects updates to end here now... I sorta wonder if the whole Dojo-business starts now? (In means of daily pics revealing something bit by bit)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If we lost Snake and got Pac Man, but still had a fourth third party who would it even be?
Simon Belmont as the new Konami rep. I absolutely want to see a reunion of the Captain N team.

Pit + Mega Man + Simon Belmont

It would be even awesome if Simon Belmont's appearance is based on his NES sprite.... blonde hair, brown leather outfit, stiff jumps, eight direction whips (from Super Castlevania IV).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Rhetorical question time: What if it's that what Sakurai has in mind and what is giving him trouble?
Excellent question now that I think about it. The big difference between this and the current Ice Climbers is that Eddie's shadow is 100% manually controlled, with no AI control whatsoever. Eddie has been on PS2 and Wii consoles which is roughly how strong the 3DS is give or take. Though I can imagine the issue arising if there are more than two sets of ICs.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Supposedly Intelligent Systems is possibly working on an Advance Wars sequel, so you never know.You never know, if Solid Snake gets the boot its possible he could use Snake's moveset as the basis for a character. Doubt it, but stranger things have happened this week.
Would personally love it if an Advance Wars character were to inherit Snake's moveset. I doubt Sakurai will think of it though.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Excellent question now that I think about it. The big difference between this and the current Ice Climbers is that Eddie's shadow is 100% manually controlled, with no AI control whatsoever. Eddie has been on PS2 and Wii consoles which is roughly how strong the 3DS is give or take. Though I can imagine the issue arising if there are more than two sets of ICs.
Exactly. The key difference is that GG has up to 2 characters, while Smash has up to 4 characters. That's twice the amount of characters.

We don't know what the issue might be, but it could be very well lag or frame rate drop or something. We don't know for sure.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Exactly. The key difference is that GG has up to 2 characters, while Smash has up to 4 characters. That's twice the amount of characters.

We don't know what the issue might be, but it could be very well lag or frame rate drop or something. We don't know for sure.
You're missing the first point I made though. Nana is greatly AI controlled unless you desync (or something like that) while Eddie's shadow is entirely manually controlled. It takes more processing power to run an AI than to manually control something. I can't remember if I read this in college or somewhere else (probably the latter), but there is a lot of processing power involved in having several AI behave independent of one another. This was actually one of the reasons why the stampede scene from The Lion King took two years to make.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Im still gonna get both versions if I can. They may chance their minds since it's still far from done, right? *shrug*

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ure_cross_platform_play_between_wii_u_and_3ds

Seems like the 3DS version is doing nothing but hindering the WiiU Version....(no alt costumes.....(-_-)
Thanks for the 15 hour old news.

Wondering why everyone expects updates to end here now... I sorta wonder if the whole Dojo-business starts now? (In means of daily pics revealing something bit by bit)
That "Dojo-business" of which speak has already started actually. We had a new image yesterday and today.

Simon Belmont as the new Konami rep. I absolutely want to see a reunion of the Captain N team.

Pit + Mega Man + Simon Belmont

It would be even awesome if Simon Belmont's appearance is based on his NES sprite.... blonde hair, brown leather outfit, stiff jumps, eight direction whips (from Super Castlevania IV).
Yes, please. All of this. None of that over-anime crap from the Castlevania fighting game (name escapes me).

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
You're missing the first point I made though. Nana is greatly AI controlled unless you desync (or something like that) while Eddie's shadow is entirely manually controlled. It takes more processing power to run an AI than to manually control something. I can't remember if I read this in college or somewhere else (probably the latter), but there is a lot of processing power involved in having several AI behave independent of one another. This was actually one of the reasons why the stampede scene from The Lion King took two years to make.
I see. That's more or less what I thought, but I could have worded my post a little better.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

YoshiSonic

Smash Ace
Omg....I just woke up, went on the smash bros site and no new updates...when it was smash dojo updates were fast....SAKURA, ARE YOU MOCKING US?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Well that sucks. I guess we'll be stuck with smaller connectivity. Also, no alt costumes = booooooooooooooooo!

Actually, did he say no alt. costumes, or just no customizable costumes?
I don't think this rules out alternate costumes, it just says that the customization won't be costume related.
Sakurai said alt costumes ruin what makes each character different. That's a pretty stark rejection of alternate costumes, sadly.

He seems a bit out of touch with the fanbase on this one. Support for alts seems to be overwhelming, and it's not like certain characters didn't have quasi-alts already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom