• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People lost hope for the Wario Bros in the NSMB games after the Toads were picked in NSMB Wii.

D

Deleted member

People lost hope for the Wario Bros in the NSMB games after the Toads were picked in NSMB Wii.
This.

Plus the Wario Bros. helping the Mario Bros. is plain weird in my eyes. Wario being in SM64DS never sat too well with me.

At least Nabbit looks more original than Toad yellow and Toad blue.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Don't know, maybe if the Waa duo and the Mario Bros. were going after a similar goal, like some sort of super awesome treasure or something.

Kind of a missed opportunity to do something like that for New Super Mario Bros. 2

D

Deleted member

Don't know, maybe if the Waa duo and the Mario Bros. were going after a similar goal, like some sort of super awesome treasure or something.

Kind of a missed opportunity to do something like that for New Super Mario Bros. 2
Personally, the Wario Bros should have been the protagonists of New Super Mario Bros. Jew. You know, the one about collecting coins.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, I must say. I didn't expect to see curling in the Nintendo Direct. I am now God.

Not sure how I feel about Nabbit. I mean, I guess it's cool that they're not using a third Toad recolor. But still, it could have been something like Eario.
The only thing that bugs me is the invincibility thing, but eh, he's a DLC character. Hopefully this won't come up a lot in Mario character debates...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nabbit would be so sexy if implemented well. He has crazy potential IF done right. Combining the wackness of Waluigi with Toad's item usage, and Bowser Jr.'s schemes and maybe even Paintbrush?

But honestly, I feel like he's a one time thing.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Just saw the direct and I thought it was okay. I'm very excited for Pikmin 3 though, looks amazing.

And the weirdest thing happened to me at work guys...

So basically what I'm doing in inputting various data on this spreadsheet that we use. There's a huge list of people (going by last names) that qualify for different organizations or laboratories, so I need to make sure they're listed under the right organization. So I was doing my inputs then the name Ridley came up and I was like, "OMG THIS MUST BE A SIGN!" Then I looked what he qualifies for and it's the Canadian Explosives Research Laboratory. IS THERE SOME SECRET WE DON'T KNOW ABOUT?! :troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I had some weird ass experiences as well today on the street, I was just merely looking for a sigarette to roll my **** with. So anyway, people where being nasty as **** to me, I'll be like 'Goodday gentleman, does one of you have an extra sigarette to spare for me?' and mother****ers be looking at me like I asked their wifey's number...

Another man was like: 'Don't ask me these kinda questions' and turned his head away.

I WAS BEING NICE AND POLITE AND ****, JUST GIMME THAT DAMN CANCER STICK ALREADY!

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Diddy, if you didn't smoke, that would've never happened, you know? :troll:

The Universe has strange ways of sending us, mortals, messages. :laugh::troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nah I met some cool bros who gave me one in the end.

The Universe wants me to lick it's ballsack.

Kinda goes against my relligion you know??

D

Deleted member

I feel having the Toads and Nabbit kind of defeats the purpose of Super Luigi U.
It's supposed to be about Luigi getting spotlight.

I guess Nabbit would be acceptable without the Toads, since then Luigi would get his own "Tails". (By which I mean a useful invincible partner)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nah Nibbit is fine, it drives more attention towards Luigi.

D

Deleted member

Like I said, Nabbit would have been better without having the two Toad recolors come along for the ride.

A perfect comparison for Luigi and Nabbit would have been Sonic and Tails.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, but Nintendo still clearly wants it to be a 4-player experience, so expecting otherwise is a bit unrealistic.

Even with Nabbit, the attention will be on Luigi, he is player 1, so no matter what someone is always going to be playing as him, unlike the other three.

D

Deleted member

It was rather stupid then to make Nabbit a character if they desperately wanted to do a 4-Player game.

What makes it work for the Mario version is that Luigi and the Toads work the same as Mario.
With this, they have three characters working like each other (unless the Toads are not jumping and sliding like Luigi in this) and one invulnerable character that can't get power-ups.
They would have been better off adding another Toad in that case, like THE Toad (Kiniopio) wearing his red vest from Sunshine so that he can take Mario's place as the "red" character.

D

Deleted member

It was rather stupid then to make Nabbit a character if they desperately wanted to do a 4-Player game.

What makes it work for the Mario version is that Luigi and the Toads work the same as Mario.
With this, they have three characters working like each other (unless the Toads are not jumping and sliding like Luigi in this) and one invulnerable character that can't get power-ups.
They would have been better off adding another Toad in that case, like THE Toad (Kiniopio) wearing his red vest from Sunshine so that he can take Mario's place as the "red" character.
No, the mistake was adding generic Toads to begin with. I like the fact that at least Nabbit is different from the rest, even if he's casual mode the character.

The could have used E. Gadd, Toadsworth, THE Toad, Robo Mario or any other Original character to fill the roles of P3 and P4 for the older NSMB games.

Edit:

Hell, the Mario RPG games have a ton of original characters.

Goombella, The Bomb Omb guy, Mallow, Geno, Lady Bow, etc...

Any of those could have made an intersting transition to platformer.

Edit Edit:

If Nintendo was a bit creative they would have gone the SMB2 route and made Peach playable again.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nabbit could work really funny.

He'd be super light. And kinda slow and laggy on his moves. Not having too many powerful moves either. But, he's invincible. He doesn't take damage. His jumps are quite average, exactly like Mario's to be exact. But his 3rd jump quite sucks. He can't recover well. So best advice is too knock him near the edge, create a wall so he can't escape and throw him off. Then gimp him.

Still not wanting him but he's quirky.

D

Deleted member

Well, who else were they going to use? Unless you mean non-generic Toads such as Toad (lol non-generic yet still generic) and Toadette.

There is no other suitable alternative.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Toad is really the best thing and it's quite laughable.

Should've given us DKC:R 2 with DK, Diddy, Dixie and Kiddy / Lanky / Funky already.

D

Deleted member

Well, who else were they going to use? Unless you mean non-generic Toads such as Toad (lol non-generic yet still generic) and Toadette.

There is no other suitable alternative.
Characters with different abilities from the Bros.

Peach would be a decent start.

Robo Mario could have had a Nabbit-like role.

E. Gadd though usually a side character could debut as a playable.

Toad could be made more unique.

Toadsworth a Toad variation with more refined abilities, though he's also generally a side character.

And once again, the Mario RPG series have no problem with thinking up new characters, why can't the Mario platformers?

Also, it should be noted that if Daisy was given a chance in a platformer she could be made more than a spunky Peach clone:

Then we also have Rosalina, Pauline and even the fanmade Guisseppe:

Nintendo's just lost their creative touch in recent times and has settled for nostalgia pandering.

Neither the Wario Bros, nor generic Toads should be made playables for P3/4. Nabbit is a step in the right direction.

D

Deleted member

When it comes to things like NSMB, having characters that work the same is ideal. This is because in those games, all players share the responsibility, and screw-ups cost everyone dearly.

In cases like Kirby's Return to Dream Land, Player 1 is really the only one that matters, so it doesn't really matter if the other players screw-up, and thus, they can be different. (Though the option to be the same exists as well.)

EDIT: And Peach as a playable character wouldn't make any sense either. If she's with the players, there's no reason to go off to rescue her from Bowser, now is there?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sollution: they should just ****ing stop milking out on New Super Mario Bros. It's not NEW anymore.

D

Deleted member

When it comes to things like NSMB, having characters that work the same is ideal. This is because in those games, all players share the responsibility, and screw-ups cost everyone dearly.

In cases like Kirby's Return to Dream Land, Player 1 is really the only one that matters, so it doesn't really matter if the other players screw-up, and thus, they can be different.

EDIT: And Peach as a playable character wouldn't make any sense either. If she's with the players, there's no reason to go off to rescue her from Bowser, now is there?
I haven't played Return to Dream Land, but NSMB is casual as it gets, multiplayer actually makes it more challenging, a SMB2 approach to it, with characters having different abilities would be a better idea to at least make it more interesting. It's certainly better than:

>We brought the Leaf back like in SMB3 because you like SMB3, right?!
>Oh, the levels aren't built around the power up like that game, so it's a cheap knock-off, but you don't mind right?

When Yoshi was introduced in SMW, it's because Yoshi played a key role in the platforming, a lot of levels were built around keenly learning to make the most of Yoshi. NSMB series lack that. If they're gonna make more general levels then at least mix it up by giving varied characters.

Nintendo IPs at many times piss me off, because like always, they have a ton of potential to absolutely stop everything else in the market by specializing in doing what they do best and being creative, but instead Nintendo of now is playing it safe and aiming for Nostalgia rather than taking the creative risks they were originally known for. SMG, as much as people try to say was creative and ingenious, was actually a step backward in what 3D Mario is all about, SMG1 was great, but 2 was a great disappointment that pretty much ruined the experience for me. The gravity mechanics were great, but the level design in SMG2 was as uninteresting as you could possibly get. Not a bad game, but for 3D Mario, not that amazing either. Not compared to Sunshine and 64.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, because we have to rehash the SAME boring plot point every time because story doesn't matter, right?

Look, I don't expect a Shakesperian narrative out of Mario, but at least mixing up the plot and killing the cliche trope every once in a while to explore new gameplay ideas would be welcomed.

Saving the Princess has gotten old, we get it, but we do that **** in Mario, we do it in Zelda, we even did it in Star Fox. Hell, I wouldn't be too surprised to find a future Metroid explore that dumb trope for some stupid ass reason.

Any dumb plot can be made up as to why Bowser now tries something different. Or, bring in a new villain and make Bowser an ally. Once again, while a clone of Doki Doki Panic, SMB2 already did it. We can try something new. Also, we have Super Princess Peach where the roles are switched. ANYTHING, just don't come off with lazy excuses like, well this is Yellow Toad and this is Blue Toad.

Goddamit, hell if you wanna keep the trope then bring in someone else, there's still Daisy, E. Gadd and many others.

D

Deleted member

Characters with different abilities are better off in single player modes like in The Lost Levels (using that as an example instead of the game we know as SMB2 since it was designed as a Mario game to begin with) where you could play as plain Mario or play as the higher jumping, slower stopping Luigi.

If we, for hypotheticals sake, had a game where both plain Mario and the special Luigi were playing at the same time, and for shiz and giggles, throw in a slower, floating Peach and a faster, low jumping Toad in the mix, the results would be a nightmare in trying to get through even one level to the point that no one would want to play the game outside single player mode.

EDIT: We already get plenty of chances to break the norm outside of the regular platforming titles.
Now that's not enough? Now we must have some sort of newer half-assed plot just because the one that defines the Mario series happens to be cliché?

While I agree that changing the frigging landscape and overall theme of the game is a necessity at this point ("New" isn't exactly new anymore given it's the same crap over and over again), drastic changes such as "no saving the Princess this time/she's a playable character this time" or "Bowser is replaced with a new villain this time/he's a playable character this time" are not the way to go.
So yeah, sure, have Bowser kidnap Peach again, but add some twists into it. Maybe Peach isn't the only one he kidnapped this time because his latest plot requires more than just Peach.
Have Peach be saved early in the game and reveal a new plot to surprise people. Like Bowser merely using his usual "kidnap Peach" scheme as a decoy for his real scheme, whatever it may be with Peach desperately trying to get Mario not to save her because it's a trap.
Or even have an alliance between Bowser and another villain such as Wart to where saving Peach is not the only objective.
Hell, it could even be something like Bowser never really kidnapped Peach to begin with, but we are lead to believe he did because it's what he does. So then Mario goes after Bowser to save her, only to find Bowser's been sending him on a wild goose chase with the intention of leading him to his doom.

New Super Mario Bros. (the first one) managed to get a little deeper, with having Bowser fighting you in the very first boss battle, then dying while his Dry Bowser self would come in later.
Deviations like that, we need more of. Why Nintendo hasn't though of more confuses me.

D

Deleted member

NSMB is already a nightmare in Multiplayer. Also have varied characters and also allow character the same character with a recolor, problem solved. Smash does that already and it's how Luigi was born.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Personally I thought among the platform games released lately, I will say that the Mario ones are kind of the weaker ones. Ironic considering Mario pioneered the platform genre, but whatever. I liked Donkey Kong Country Returns probably the most, due to it actually having that good sense of challenge.

D

Deleted member

I heard the motion controls ruin DKCR, it's the only reason I'm looking into the 3DS one, because it would be superior becasue of that.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
If Nintendo was a bit creative they would have gone the SMB2 route and made Peach playable again.
Why not Imajin from Doki Doki Panic? That would have been great and would have brought in a retro character who would move just like Mario. I'm sure they could have worked an additional special quirk/gimmick for him to distance him a bit from Mario.

SMB2 style Peach could have been a cool bonus for 100% completion. She's the damsel in distress and playing as her would have been a cool incentive for many casuals to attempt full completion. Like, they're just running around having fun now that she's saved.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Motion controls didn't ruin the game. The only way the motion controls are going to screw you over is if you're on a sugar high and cannot stand still for a second.

D

Deleted member

Motion controls didn't ruin the game. The only way the motion controls are going to screw you over is if you're on a sugar high and cannot stand still for a second.
Yeah, but I heard the experience is not as fluid as in the SNES games because the controls aren't as responsive. I remember playing co-op with my brother a long time ago on that game and not liking it too much.

D

Deleted member

NSMB is already a nightmare in Multiplayer. Also have varied characters and also allow character the same character with a recolor, problem solved. Smash does that already and it's how Luigi was born.
Something already being a nightmare doesn't justify suggesting something to make it worse.

Also, check the edit to the last post. I responded to your rant on clichéd plot.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
As long as they actually make great titles still, I'm not worried. The Wii had good games as Mario Galaxy, Skyward Sword / Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime Triology & 3, DKC:R, 2 solid Kirby titles, Xenoblade -apperantly- and ofcaorse: Brawl. Say what you want, Brawl is still the reason we are all speculating about Smash. It intrigued us all enough to stay with the series after all.

Also, drunk & high pushups are best pushups

D

Deleted member

Something already being a nightmare doesn't justify suggesting something to make it worse.

Also, check the edit to the last post. I responded to your clichéd plot rant.
We're basically saying the same ****, but from different points. The idea is that it needs change.

Also, changing the main plot isn't so bad, the Mario RPG games for example get praise for mixing it up a bit, the thing is the narrative needs to be simple, so having things like, "well, you rescue her a little early is a bit too complex for a 2D Mario. 3D Mario would do well to go that route though.

I agree on the Dry Bowser though.

Also, how about exploring the idea of the whole thing just being an act and Mario and Bowser being bros? Idk, whatever, just stop being so lazy Nintendo, this isn't you.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You know what was awesome?

Wii Play's Tank mini game. A friend and me used to get blazed and get INTENSE in this game. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom