• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Honestly, If the Wii U was launching this month (with improved specs) with all of the games that have been released these past months as a launch line-up I guarantee you guys the Wii U would have a better foundation and public perception. Oh yeah, and they should have changed the name... I liked the rumored Nintendo Stream so much better.

While we are being critical of Nintendo have you guys seen this?:
[collapse=It's quite the watch, Open if you have 25mins to spare.]
[/collapse]

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
~ Double Post. Might as well fill it up with something ~

Same. I bought the Wii U pretty much with the intention of spending $200+ just to play Smash4 in the future.
Everything else is a bonus, but I expected a lot more.

This is the first time I have ever been disappointed with a Nintendo console launch.
I fell for the promise of better 3rd party support and upcoming games that would be released in "Launch Window."
At least the Wii had a TP port that was decent at the time.

TP is a solid game (My personal favorite Zelda game since OoT/MM), but let's not open that can of worms. I know the Wii U WILL BE WORTH IT EVENTUALLY. That just seems to be late next year. I don't play Zelda, and I find NSMB to be a ****ty series of boring rehash. 3DMario, Smash, and Mario Kart are the big ninty titles I bought this for. I want to see Star Fox, Kirby, ect come to the Wii U.

Also, if W101 worth buying? It looks good, and I'm not ALWAYS poor so I can buy it sometime

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
TP is a solid game (My personal favorite Zelda game since OoT/MM), but let's not open that can of worms. I know the Wii U WILL BE WORTH IT EVENTUALLY. That just seems to be late next year. I don't play Zelda, and I find NSMB to be a ****ty series of boring rehash. 3DMario, Smash, and Mario Kart are the big ninty titles I bought this for. I want to see Star Fox, Kirby, ect come to the Wii U.

Also, if W101 worth buying? It looks good, and I'm not ALWAYS poor so I can buy it sometime
I'm not much of a Zelda junkie, but TP is also my favorite Zelda next to OoT, and ALttP.
I so done with Mario games, especially NSMB. I think after Galaxy 2 I was burnt out on the series. 3D World seems like a great game, I just can't get excited for it.
I really hope that Nintendo brings out Star Fox, Kirby, F-Zero, new IP etc too, because Mario and Zelda isn't going to cut it for me this time around..

W101 is a hit or miss, I tired the demo. It was awesome, when everything works the way you want it to. But when it doesn't, it frustrating... kinda like Skyward Sword.

So, since it's possible that Zelda could be revealed next week.... What design of her would you like? TP? SS?
I would love to see SS Zelda.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Nintendo shouldn't make new IPs, considering they do it all the time. People like to pretend they don't, but seriously everytime they make something new people simply ignore it and then turn around wonder why we don't get anything new. WELL MAYBE IF YOU WEREN'T DENSE MOTHER****ERS THE COMPANY WOULDN'T HEAVILY RELY ON MARIO AND WII SHOVELWARE TITLES.

Also in other news, new Fossil Fighters game for the 3DS is being developed. It's called Fossil Fighters: Derm Gen Gear, and it's slated for a 2014 release date in Japan.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=717725

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
Honestly, If the Wii U was launching this month (with improved specs) with all of the games that have been released these past months as a launch line-up I guarantee you guys the Wii U would have a better foundation and public perception. Oh yeah, and they should have changed the name... I liked the rumored Nintendo Stream so much better.

While we are being critical of Nintendo have you guys seen this?:
[collapse=It's quite the watch, Open if you have 25mins to spare.]
[/collapse]
That was an entertaining watch. As a long time Nintendo fan I agree with all his points. Nintendo really really need to step up their game, and maybe that means some new blood. It would be nice to know somebody of importance from the company sees this......Although I still have some hope left for the WiiU

TheWhiteBowser

Smash Ace
Nintendo shouldn't make new IPs, considering they do it all the time. People like to pretend they don't, but seriously everytime they make something new people simply ignore it and then turn around wonder why we don't get anything new. WELL MAYBE IF YOU WEREN'T DENSE MOTHER****ERS THE COMPANY WOULDN'T HEAVILY RELY ON MARIO AND WII SHOVELWARE TITLES.

Also in other news, new Fossil Fighters game for the 3DS is being developed. It's called Fossil Fighters: Derm Gen Gear, and it's slated for a 2014 release date in Japan.

Just gonna say this now... I love Fossil Fighters more than pokemon! SUE ME!!!

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715

I agree completely. How many new IPs were there in the 3DS eShop alone? Dillon's Rolling Western, Pushmo, HarmoKnight, the WiiU has the Wonderful 101 now, not to mention the indie scene is pretty big.

Also, new Fossil Fighters? Can't wait to rebuild my past two teams. Again.

TheWhiteBowser

Smash Ace
I agree completely. How many new IPs were there in the 3DS eShop alone? Dillon's Rolling Western, Pushmo, HarmoKnight, the WiiU has the Wonderful 101 now, not to mention the indie scene is pretty big.

Also, new Fossil Fighters? Can't wait to rebuild my past two teams. Again.
IGN can go to hell for giving the original fossil fighters a 5.9 out of 10. Seriously that game was AMAZING! It had better graphics than Pokemon Black and White 2 because it did the 3D models before Pokemon did with their X and Y games!
And then they gave Fossil Fighters Champions a 7.5 especially when the humor from Trip the announcer made me bust my gut a few times.
So much better than pokemon could ever be! I am not joking! I am a kick-ass Fossil Fighters fanboy!

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Now that I think about it... The last time I thought about Fossil Fighters in Smash was before the server switch, talking with Cobalsh.

But anyway, it's nice to see that Fossil Fighters wasn't just one of those series with one or two games that sorta died off. The series is now as big as Pikmin in terms of number of games, anyway.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

The issue is the new IPs they do release:
  1. Don't come outside of Japan, unless really successful. (Like Smash Bros., Bravely Default, Xenoblade etc..)
  2. They aren't marketed properly so only a handful of the user base really knows about them. (I didn't see any Pushmo or Dillion Rolling Western aired on Nick, CN or Disney) People don't even know about the games that exist on eShop. Hell they don't even know the Wii U exist.
  3. They aren't games that interest people (E.G Wii Music, Nintendo Land)
  4. In an era where people seem to rely on what gaming review sites say, if a game noticeably unpolished it will turn a lot of people away. (IGN, Gamespot - W101)
Nintendo needs to really push games. They need to push indie games, and make games that will interest the majority of its users. (easier said than done)
I guarantee you, the average gamer is going to be more interested in an action/adventure than a puzzle game.

The sad thing is the clueless consumer who isn't a video game fanatic will almost always opt to get Mario a game they know, over a new game. Which only encourages Nintendo to make even more Mario games.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
I would like Zelda to recieve a design similar to that of SSB4 Link, meaning a more cleaner, and color saturated Twilight Princess Zelda.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
IGN can go to hell for giving the original fossil fighters a 5.9 out of 10. Seriously that game was AMAZING! It had better graphics than Pokemon Black and White 2 because it did the 3D models before Pokemon did with their X and Y games!
And then they gave Fossil Fighters Champions a 7.5 especially when the humor from Trip the announcer made me bust my gut a few times.
So much better than pokemon could ever be! I am not joking! I am a kick-*** Fossil Fighters fanboy!
The main excuse I've seen is that it's ripping off Pokemon, which is funny because both Fossil Fighters and Pokemon are published by Nintendo. Though, I will freely admit that the combat is somewhat lackluster in both Fossil Fighters and Fossil Fighters: Champions, though the sequel does improve a few things that caused problems with the first game.

But anyway, it's nice to see that Fossil Fighters wasn't just one of those series with one or two games that sorta died off.
Especially considering Fossil Fighters: Champion bombed due to the bad timing. Surprisingly risky if you ask me, but hey defying the conventions of business for the art isn't bad in itself.

1. Don't come outside of Japan, unless really successful. (Like Smash Bros., Bravely Default, Xenoblade etc..)
  2. They aren't marketed properly so only a handful of the user base really knows about them. (I didn't see any Pushmo or Dillion Rolling Western aired on Nick, CN or Disney)
  4. In an era where people seem to rely on what gaming review sites say, if a game noticeably unpolished it will turn a lot of people away. (IGN, Gamespot - W101)
Nintendo needs to really push games. They need to push indie games, and make games that will interest the majority of its users. (easier said than done)

I guarantee you, the average gamer is going to be more interested in an action/adventure than a puzzle game.

The sad thing is the clueless consumer who isn't a video game fanatic will almost always opt to get Mario a game they know, over a new game. Which only encourages Nintendo to make even more Mario games.
Which is why I think they shouldn't create new IPs, but instead put effort into actually promoting them. Nintendo tends to rely on the word of mouth method, but it only worked for extremely few titles. In recent memories the only title that has managed to work with that method is Xenoblade Chronicles.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
So, since it's possible that Zelda could be revealed next week.... What design of her would you like? TP? SS?
I'd rather see TP because she was actually useful and I like that brown hair more on adult Zelda. I like the blond hair more on young Zelda.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Which is why I think they shouldn't create new IPs, but instead put effort into actually promoting them. Nintendo tends to rely on the word of mouth method, but it only worked for extremely few titles. In recent memories the only title that has managed to work with that method is Xenoblade Chronicles.
Well I mentioned new IPs only because of the news that Miyamoto was working on a new IP.

I really think the Wii was a double-edged sword for Nintendo.
Prior to the Wii, Nintendo consoles were a pretty good platform for new games for people to play.

When the Wii dropped, a huge amount of people who wouldn't think twice about picking up a gaming console, picked up a Wii.
These people had no interest in play games like Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Pikmin or even Skyward Sword, they only wanted to play games like Wii Sports, Guitar Hero and Boom Blox. These people greatly outnumbered the people who have stuck with Nintendo prior to the Wii's launch. So while the old fans supported these new games, it paled in comparison to these party games.

When sales revealed what kind of games were thriving on the Wii, it only encouraged companies to produce even more party games. And other companies sought out homes on other platforms (PS3/360/PC). During the 7th Generation, Nintendo became heavily associated with party games. So much that people believe actually believe that Nintendo has always been about party compilation games.

Now it's the 8th Generation, and the people that once flocked to the Wii have moved on to the next big thing (..Tablets/Apple products :glare:); However, the stigma that these new fans brought is still associated with Nintendo, even though they are all gone. Now all Nintendo has now are the fans that they had prior to the Wii (A bit of an exaggeration but you get the point), Nintendo is marketing the Wii U like the people that made the Wii a success is going to bite again.

TL; DR:
Here's the analogy: You and Nintendo are BFFs. Nintendo throws a huge house party, and the turn out was better than expected.
This new crowd that showed up kinda changed Nintendo, and Nintendo is treating you different now that it has new friends.
The party is over, the new crowd is gone and this new crowd ****ed up Nintendo's house in the process.
As Nintendo looks around, all it sees is its ****ed up house and you standing in the middle of it.
Nintendo asks for your forgiveness and says that next party, it's going to be different.
*Throws a half ass'ed party expecting the new crowd to show and promises "launch window" booze*
New crowd doesn't show and your like "Get it together, bring out the Falcon Punch"

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
  2. They aren't marketed properly so only a handful of the user base really knows about them. (I didn't see any Pushmo or Dillion Rolling Western aired on Nick, CN or Disney) People don't even know about the games that exist on eShop. Hell they don't even know the Wii U exist.

I kind of disagree about the point of clueless consumers going for the Mario game. When I was a kid and very much a clueless consumer, I was less likely to buy established franchises like Mario ect. not more likely, because as a clueless consumer I always just bought what looked cool, I didn't care about which games could reliably offer a solid experience. In fact most of the really obscure games I own are stuff I got before I knew a Tetris from a Columns. It's the same case with every other gamer I know IRL, most of them bought really obscure games before they were involved in the gamer community, and started buying less obscure games afterwards even though they are very much aware of what obscure games are coming out. The problem with casual consumers isn't that they make safe choices, it's the exact opposite; they make sporadic choices and that's hard to build a foundation around. What I'm trying to get at here is I think that the reason why certain franchises dominate over others is more to do with the hardcore crowd than the average consumer (well, and clueless parents who are trying to be safe), and one of the reasons why it's really bad with Nintendo is that the stereotypes about Nintendo fans being stuck in a rut have some truth to them. And that's a problem because they're the group that's less likely to be swayed by things like advertisements(not saying that Nintendo shouldn't advertise more, just that I'm not sure it would help as much as some people think it would). I think some of the problem is due to Nintendo, but a think a lot of it is also their fan base, and I don't think that's something Nintendo really has much control over.

Game reviews is whole 'nother kettle of fish(and something that really bugs me) that I won't get into.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I kind of disagree about the point of clueless consumers going for the Mario game. When I was a kid and very much a clueless consumer, I was less likely to buy established franchises like Mario ect. not more likely, because as a clueless consumer I always just bought what looked cool, I didn't care about which games could reliably offer a solid experience. In fact most of the really obscure games I own are stuff I got before I knew a Tetris from a Columns. It's the same case with every other gamer I know IRL, most of them bought really obscure games before they were involved in the gamer community, and started buying less obscure games afterwards even though they are very much aware of what obscure games are coming out. The problem with casual consumers isn't that they make safe choices, it's the exact opposite; they make sporadic choices and that's hard to build a foundation around. What I'm trying to get at here is I think that the reason why certain franchises dominate over others is more to do with the hardcore crowd than the average consumer (well, and clueless parents who are trying to be safe), and one of the reasons why it's really bad with Nintendo is that the stereotypes about Nintendo fans being stuck in a rut have some truth to them. And that's a problem because they're the group that's less likely to be swayed by things like advertisements(not saying that Nintendo shouldn't advertise more, just that I'm not sure it would help as much as some people think it would). I think some of the problem is due to Nintendo, but a think a lot of it is also their fan base, and I don't think that's something Nintendo really has much control over.

Game reviews is whole 'nother kettle of fish(and something that really bugs me) that I won't get into.
Based off of what you typed, I wouldn't really consider clueless gamer, because you are actively seeking out games. The clueless gamer usually gets their info from commercials and/or word of mouth and lets the new games come to them. Mario games are those flagship games that Nintendo makes sure they promotes. It's old enough that some adult might get for his child because he remembers Mario from back in the day, and inviting enough for people of all ages.

The difference is back when you and I were playing the Battletoads and whatnots, there were a LOT of other games out there to choose from on the Nintendo platform. That doesn't seem to be the case these days. Yes, they exist, but they aren't as abundant as they once were.

I was really trying to avoid using the "casual" and "hardcore", but for the sake of the conversation. The casual crowd tends to go for what's popular, what's been tried and tested and is polished. That's why games Mario Kart and Call of Duty do so well. It's because these people know what they are going to get. The Hardcore gamers who are willing to take the dive into the. I think its the opposite. The hardcore do support these up and coming games as well as the up and coming ones, and the casual crowd who greatly out number the hardcore support the popular mainstream games, and since they out number the hardcore their influence is going to stand stronger than the hardcore.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They should totally make a new battletoads game

Edit: Battletoads happened to be one of the games I owned on NES.

I didn't have too many NES games, but I'm glad Battletoads was among them

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Wii U sold a mil in the US when it launched. It sat at 3+ mil in December of last year. Then, sales began to drag.

I don't see X1 or PS4 pushing many units out though. I expect it's first few months to suffer. 2014 is when those consoles will excel exponentially.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Sadly, Micro$oft happened.
Heh. Speaking of M$ and Rare, apparently you can only play the first two Killer Instincts (the classic ones) as re-releases ONLY if you get the ultra special edition of KI3 which they're bundled with. I mean God forbid re-releasing them as separate downlaodable titles which would get them more money, as plenty would pay just to have the classics again. Nope, has gotta be a forced bundle.

KI may as well have stayed dead, if anything. Not like it's gonna be a system seller for the xbone like Halo or anything. It's only got a small cult fanbase with how long it's been dead till recently.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Heh. Speaking of M$ and Rare, apparently you can only play the first two Killer Instincts (the classic ones) as re-releases ONLY if you get the ultra special edition of KI3 which they're bundled with. I mean God forbid re-releasing them as separate downlaodable titles which would get them more money, as plenty would pay just to have the classics again. Nope, has gotta be a forced bundle.

KI may as well have stayed dead, if anything. Not like it's gonna be a system seller for the xbone like Halo or anything. It's only got a small cult fanbase with how long it's been dead till recently.

Sad it isn't even developed by Rare either. I don't like what Microsoft has done to that once brilliant company. All those IPs are going to waste. Jetforce Gemini, Coker, Banjo, Perfect Dark, etc.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Really?

Maybe the PS4 won't do as well as I thought.

Correction- in the first month, it sold almost 2mil. But it's first week was under 500k. So, 1 mil in 24hrs is real good for Sony. By the end of this month, it'd be interesting where they sit at.

EDIT: Wrong again. Under 2 mil consoles combined (Wii U, 3DS and Wii).

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I feel dirty playing Rare games on Xbox.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Correction- in the first month, it sold almost 2mil. But it's first week was under 500k. So, 1 mil in 24hrs is real good for Sony. By the end of this month, it'd be interesting where they sit at.
Welp. There goes that sense of triumph.

PS4 is gonna dominate this generation methinks. There are enough rabid fanboys to ensure that the PS4 succeeds no matter what. Combine that with a large fanbase and a company that doesn't stab their consumers in the back, and make good business decisions and you have a successful console.

I'm not sure what's gonna do worse though, the Xbox One or the Wii U. Both are going to do okay. That's for sure. I'm just not sure which will do better. Microsoft kind of ruined their momentum with the DRM and questionable business decisions as of late. Nintendo made some stupid decisions but haven't done anything to earn a negative reputation as far as integrity goes. With Nintendo, you know exactly what you're getting. Both companies have loads of fanboys but Microsoft certainly put their fanboys to the test earlier. They really didn't like that.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the Xbox One will succeed initially but the Wii U will catch up and surpass it eventually. What do you think?

Shroob

Sup?
Sadly, I feel the XBone will still sell well, which is sad, really. I asked a friend of mine why he was getting one, and got the expected "CoD" response.... and the sad thing is he even flat out said each CoD was worse than the last but he'd still buy them.

That's M$' consumers right there.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
It's really hard to say. I see lots of people just holding out on both PS4 and X1 because they are satisfied with what they got already. Mario 3D World is a make it or break it for Wii U at this point in time. People claim 3D Land saved 3DS, but that's incorrect. 3D Land AND Mario Kart 7 ignited 3DS sales (and of course, that steep price cut). I think Mario Kart 8 should have released in December [next month], because that there is a sure system seller.

It all comes down to the games. I cancelled my PS4 preorder because I found the line-up a bit lackluster for my tastes and thank god I did. I'm holding out for a good deal/bundle. I'll be choosing PS4 over X1 for the sole fact that I know X1 won't do well in Japan. I want a mix of great 3rd party games from western developers and those in the east. Plus, I'm more familiar with the Playstation brand.

On the other hand, there is that Steam Box. I may just end up getting that :3

I got loads of steam games I got from sales that are incompatible with my computer, so right there, I have an instant library of games waiting to be played.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the Xbox One will succeed initially but the Wii U will catch up and surpass it eventually. What do you think?

If Nintendo keep releasing good quality games like 3D World, maybe. Depends if people stop being ignorant and actually look at Nintendo games. When I talk to my friends who question why I bought a Wii U and I talk about a great game coming out, they either:
  • Have never heard of it because it isn't a mature game
  • Have never heard of it because it isn't a shooter
  • Dismiss it because it is from an existing IP, because apparently for a game to be good, it has to be a new IP

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I just read some ALBWs spoilers on the ending.

(The above is an accurate recreation of my actions in order.)

ALBW seems outstanding. If I can brave the crowd of M$ fanturds and Mario fanboys on friday, I'll definitely pick it up.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
If Nintendo keep releasing good quality games like 3D World, maybe. Depends if people stop being ignorant and actually look at Nintendo games. When I talk to my friends who question why I bought a Wii U and I talk about a great game coming out, they either:
  • Have never heard of it because it isn't a mature game
  • Have never heard of it because it isn't a shooter
  • Dismiss it because it is from an existing IP, because apparently for a game to be good, it has to be a new IP
Get new friends and have a Mario 3D World party next Friday.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Get new friends and have a Mario 3D World party next Friday.
Not all of my friends are like that. One is just as hardcore Nintendo as me (at least, I let her think that) and others aren't ignorant.
Also, 3D World doesn't come out until the 30th for me :(

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Based off of what you typed, I wouldn't really consider clueless gamer, because you are actively seeking out games. The clueless gamer usually gets their info from commercials and/or word of mouth and lets the new games come to them. Mario games are those flagship games that Nintendo makes sure they promotes. It's old enough that some adult might get for his child because he remembers Mario from back in the day, and inviting enough for people of all ages.

The difference is back when you and I were playing the Battletoads and whatnots, there were a LOT of other games out there to choose from on the Nintendo platform. That doesn't seem to be the case these days. Yes, they exist, but they aren't as abundant as they once were.

I was really trying to avoid using the "casual" and "hardcore", but for the sake of the conversation. The casual crowd tends to go for what's popular, what's been tried and tested and is polished. That's why games Mario Kart and Call of Duty do so well. It's because these people know what they are going to get. The Hardcore gamers who are willing to take the dive into the. I think its the opposite. The hardcore do support these up and coming games as well as the up and coming ones, and the casual crowd who greatly out number the hardcore support the popular mainstream games, and since they out number the hardcore their influence is going to stand stronger than the hardcore.
I wasn't really actively seeking out games. Basically what would happen is my parents would get me a game for chores/grades/whatever and they'd take me to the store, and I'd find a game on the shelf that looked cool and I'd get it. A lot of the games I got were games I had never even heard of before I walked into the store that day. That's about as clueless as you can get. In my experience a lot of people who don't follow gaming media are like that, they'll just pick something up off the shelf and not care if it's familiar or not. Now sure they'll also pick up a Mario game from time to time but just in my experience "casual" players buy way more obscure games than people seem to think. The problem isn't that the "casual" crowd isn't willing to take a risk buying games, the problem is that they don't all buy the same obscure games and so no one game gets enough sales. The end result is the same but the reasons are different. The same can be said about the "hardcore" crowd to an extent, sure they're going to support new titles but everyone's going to support different new titles, whereas almost everyone will buy the new GTA or Smash bros.. It's not that there's a lack of buying power it's that the buying power is very divided for new titles whereas for long standing titles it's very focused.

Also there are a ton of reasons why the early Nintendo consoles had more of a selection. They basically had a monopoly on third parties until Sony showed up (even Sega consoles were mostly supported by first party games). If you're talking just about first party games Nintendo really has about as good a selection now as it did back then. Making games now is a way bigger investment than it used to be. Games from that era are also held up to very different stands, for example Battle Toads is in all honesty a mess of a game and if it had come out recently it probably would have gotten panned even if it was a low budget indie title.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I wasn't really actively seeking out games. Basically what would happen is my parents would get me a game for chores/grades/whatever and they'd take me to the store, and I'd find a game on the shelf that looked cool and I'd get it. A lot of the games I got were games I had never even heard of before I walked into the store that day. That's about as clueless as you can get. In my experience a lot of people who don't follow gaming media are like that, they'll just pick something up off the shelf and not care if it's familiar or not. Now sure they'll also pick up a Mario game from time to time but just in my experience "casual" players buy way more obscure games than people seem to think. The problem isn't that the "casual" crowd isn't willing to take a risk buying games, the problem is that they don't all buy the same obscure games and so no one game gets enough sales. The end result is the same but the reasons are different. The same can be said about the "hardcore" crowd to an extent, sure they're going to support new titles but everyone's going to support different new titles, whereas almost everyone will buy the new GTA or Smash bros.. It's not that there's a lack of buying power it's that the buying power is very divided for new titles whereas for long standing titles it's very focused.

Also there are a ton of reasons why the early Nintendo consoles had more of a selection. They basically had a monopoly on third parties until Sony showed up (even Sega consoles were mostly supported by first party games). If you're talking just about first party games Nintendo really has about as good a selection now as it did back then. Making games now is a way bigger investment than it used to be. Games from that era are also held up to very different stands, for example Battle Toads is in all honesty a mess of a game and if it had come out recently it probably would have gotten panned even if it was a low budget indie title.
You were seeking, games then. Your parents rewarded you for doing chores, and you went out to buy a video that looked cool to you on the shelves of some store. The clueless consumer I'm talking about, is the person that isn't even interested traditional gaming. The type of person who bought a Wii and was content with Wii Sports. The type of person that only finds out about games through word of mouth and commercials.

In fact the majority of casual Wii owners don't buy no more that 3 -4 games:
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20080421/131636905.shtml

The casuals aren't the people that are buying these hidden gem games, they are the ones that will get Wii Play, Mario Kart and NSMB and calls it a day, we know this because the attach rate is really low, despite it being really popular.

Which is my point exactly, there were a lot games out there. But nowadays, there are fewer games release due to the increased effort put into them. On top of that, we are in a recession. No one wants to spend $60 on a game that MIGHT be good.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
R

Right now it's the ONLY single reason I'm even slightly interested in the XBOX ONE

Sadly, I feel the XBone will still sell well, which is sad, really. I asked a friend of mine why he was getting one, and got the expected "CoD" response.... and the sad thing is he even flat out said each CoD was worse than the last but he'd still buy them.

That's M$' consumers right there.
Tell him about the fact it's 1080p on PS4 and only 720p on XBOX ONE

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No one wants to spend $60 on a game that MIGHT be good.
So much this. People actually want to be careful these days, unless they're super rich.

I want to own a lot more games for my collection, same with Legos, and so on. But can't. My hours are bad.

Also, unrelated, just downloaded Zelda Classic. I already have an ideal thing to make, which is basically turning it into a Sonic-themed version. But for now, anything'll do for a hack. Should be fun. :D

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I felt there were a lot more hidden gems on older systems

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Ironically digging, cleaning, and collecting the fossils themselves are more interesting then the actual combat.

So addicting.
I said the same thing about the Underground/digging feature in Diamond and Pearl. Spent years down there, yet I could only be bothered by pre-Platinum 4th Gen competitive Pokemon for all of 5 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom