• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't think Nintendo understand how "You might also like" recommendations work

Just because I got Link's Adventure, it doesn't mean I like "Lego Friends"

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Ah... my computer is fixed and I'm deep into a stage list discussion... It feels SO good to be back here full time!

On the note of stages, betcha Mario Galaxy is banned for "strange physics". If you don't believe me look at all the other stages banned for similar things. A shame as I can't wait to experiment with the weirdness it will offer.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Ah... my computer is fixed and I'm deep into a stage list discussion... It feels SO good to be back here full time!

On the note of stages, betcha Mario Galaxy is banned for "strange physics". If you don't believe me look at all the other stages banned for similar things. A shame as I can't wait to experiment with the weirdness it will offer.
It's not really weird physics. If you hit somebody on the slanted edge, they go diagonal. That's pretty much the only difference of note right now.

It's essentially a completely flat stage (like Bridge of Eldin, for example) that looks curved thanks to the gravity.

"Shion"

Smash Ace
NNID
Shion_Sensei
I don't think Nintendo understand how "You might also like" recommendations work

Just because I got Link's Adventure, it doesn't mean I like "Lego Friends"
They don't care about what you like. That little program doesn't do what it says, either. They're just marketing their games in any and all ways.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
It's not really weird physics. If you hit somebody on the slanted edge, they go diagonal. That's pretty much the only difference of note right now.

It's essentially a completely flat stage (like Bridge of Eldin, for example) that looks curved thanks to the gravity.

I still lack hope. Looking into things some stuff has literally been made up to support some bans for stages so I can't hope too much. I've noticed the "if it's different, ban it" attitude runs deep with many people.

Also as a hunch, I feel like somehow there are going to be ways to abuse the characteristics it offers. Obviously I have nothing real to back that up with though :p

More then anything though I sit worrying about how to avoid things that made the scene shrink over the years. A lot of that is unavoidable though sadly and no amount of stages will change that.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I still lack hope. Looking into things some stuff has literally been made up to support some bans for stages so I can't hope too much. I've noticed the "if it's different, ban it" attitude runs deep with many people.

Also as a hunch, I feel like somehow there are going to be ways to abuse the characteristics it offers. Obviously I have nothing real to back that up with though :p

More then anything though I sit worrying about how to avoid things that made the scene shrink over the years. A lot of that is unavoidable though sadly and no amount of stages will change that.
I'm sorry, but run me up to speed, how could players exploit the Galaxy Stage? Cause' I'd love to see it in a competitive-type atmosphere.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I'm sorry, but run me up to speed, how could players exploit the Galaxy Stage? Cause' I'd love to see it in a competitive-type atmosphere.

I'm not sure, it's just a gut feeling. If it's in the 3DS version I promise to test it as soon as possible and get back to you.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I'm not sure, it's just a gut feeling. If it's in the 3DS version I promise to test it as soon as possible and get back to you.
Which it won't be, since Galaxy was quite obviously a console game.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Galaxy looks like it's essentially a flat stage with no pitfalls, so it might have the same walkoff problem that other stages have.

Unless it's spherical, in which case Sakurai will have managed the impressive task of making a completely flat stage with no walkoffs and no pitfalls.

Malion

Smash Ace
it might make straight path projectiles harder to gague than usual. at least in a visual sense... knowing where your blaster shot is going to land won't be immediately obvious.

"Shion"

Smash Ace
NNID
Shion_Sensei
it might make straight path projectiles harder to gague than usual. at least in a visual sense... knowing where your blaster shot is going to land won't be immediately obvious.
I guess that's what they're going for as far as gimmicks are concerned.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I guess that's what they're going for as far as gimmicks are concerned.
I hope really gimmicky stages are kept to a minimum. It's okay to have some, but not a lot.

"Shion"

Smash Ace
NNID
Shion_Sensei
I hope really gimmicky stages are kept to a minimum. It's okay to have some, but not a lot.
Yup. They had a little too many in brawl, so I hope they have a few
More tournament legal stages in the new game.

I DO want the music to stay the same... Brawls soundtrack rocked my tit$ off.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Nah man, we need more gimmicky stages to drive out the competitive community for good before they ruin the series.

Every stage a new gimmick. That's the way it should be.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Quick question, would you prefer more gimmicky stages in the 3DS version, or the Wii U version?

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
Yup. They had a little too many in brawl, so I hope they have a few
More tournament legal stages in the new game.

I DO want the music to stay the same... Brawls soundtrack rocked my tit$ off.
In that case SSB4 will make you squeel like a pig.

Malion

Smash Ace
I don't mind gimmicks but I find more and more that people define gimmick as a stage that isn't essentially a retextured battlefield.

moving stages are a hassle, but stages with unique obstacles are pretty cool. Big stages are good too, just don't have them super-zoomed out like new pork city.

Malion

Smash Ace
face raiders stage with your face as an obstacle. and the background if your house.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
Quick question, would you prefer more gimmicky stages in the 3DS version, or the Wii U version?
Since I'd have less of a problem smashing my 3DS screen rather than my 55" smart tv due to gimmicks I'd have to go with the 3DS.

Problem solved :)

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
:colorful:Lets find ways to utterly destroy the Super Mario Galaxy stage's chances of being a competitive stage! :colorful:
  • Rosalina will appear in the background and flick her wand and the planet will begin to rotate.
    • Kinda like everyone's favorite stage:[collapse=Final Destination]
      [/collapse]
  • Bowser's Airship will bombard the stage with bombs!
  • Bowser Jr. will occasionally float by in is clown-copter waving his paint brush creating paint puddles where everyone can trip!

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace

I'd prefer an equal balance in between both the home and handheld versions of this game, in that they at least share a good amount of non-gimmicky stages for the competitive environment. For example, it would be incredibly unfair for competitive owners of the 3DS version to be stuck with an over-abundance gimmicky stages, while the Wii U would have a greater range of selections for tournament-legal stages. I'd say for Masahiro Sakurai to attempt a balance for both versions as a means of appeasement.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
'Tis a sad thing indeed. Glad to have you back, sir!

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I'm pretty sure the Mario Galaxy stage will be round. The whole starship, but shrunk down. In that sense, I think it'll be similar to Temple in size, more or less.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'd prefer an equal balance in between both the home and handheld versions of this game, in that they at least share a good amount of non-gimmicky stages for the competitive environment. For example, it would be incredibly unfair for competitive owners of the 3DS version to be stuck with an over-abundance gimmicky stages, while the Wii U would have a greater range of selections for tournament-legal stages. I'd say for Masahiro Sakurai to attempt a balance for both versions as a means of appeasement.
Exactly this. I think we should have them in a similar sense to Melee. A seriously good mix of gimmick and non-gimmick.

There is nothing wrong with gimmick stages existing at all. But you need some easier to fight on stages as well. Smash 64 also wasn't that bad about this. Brawl had a super tiny list of easy to fight on stages compared to gimmicky ones. Brawl is about 64's ratio, though.

I mean, I don't want nothing but Final Destination/Battlefield/Smashville either. But I'd like something akin to Hyrule Castle, where its hazard isn't very heavy at all. It's a good one, but doesn't severely change games up. It's easy to avoid, too. Compared to Sector Z where its hazard can seriously change a game up and it's much harder to avoid in comparison. It's easy to see as well, but has a lot more power behind each hit than HC's Tornado... I think. And even then, Sector Z is still a good stage.

The only stage in 64 I think is really bad for competition is Mushroom Kingdom, and that's it. The rest aren't overwhelming at all. I can understand Planet Zebes being off due to the lava, mind you. And Saffron City's Pokemon can be problemsome, and obviously Ness shouldn't be forced on the stage. But the rest? Nah, not bad at all.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I'm pretty sure the Mario Galaxy stage will be round. The whole starship, but shrunk down. In that sense, I think it'll be similar to Temple in size, more or less.
But Starship Mario is a background element.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
They might as well package the game with the throne from Fresh Prince.
And the game gets a special pre-order bonus of a google translate version of the theme song that only plays on this level and the *Spoilers* HD version of Brinstar depths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom