• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I read a very good article on the Portuguese Eurogamer on why the gaming industry is in its current state and why Nintendo selling an inferior console in specs compared to PS4 and the Xbox might end beneficial to them.

If anyone's interested, I could translate the article from Portuguese to English, so what do you say about it? It will take a while, but if there's enough interest, I can start to work on it today.

Edit: By the way, the original article can be found here. The title translates to "Ridiculous budgets and unreal expectations", with the subtitle being "Symptoms of a sick industry."

You can obviously use Google Translate (and the translation is not too shabby), but if anyone's interested in having a decently translated article, just ask.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Can you just give us the thesis, main argument points, and conclusion?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The main idea is that game companies invest too much money on a single game and how the games, even if they sell good numbers, sometimes don't make the companies profit than if the budget was lower. The conclusion is that the companies must lower the budget for games.

Some games have budgets higher than a movie and the article compares how movies have a larger market, also comparing the price of a movie ticket and of a game (around 7€ and 60€ respectively).

This is just the surface. I'm going to read the article again, since it notes some recent cases too... reading something in one language and expressing it in another may confuse me a little, I apologize.

But you can try using Google Translate: I can say that the translation is very good (for automatic translation, that is) and doesn't butcher much of the article's content or meaning.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Looks like business classes are already paying off because I completely get it. Basically, the issue is that high budget games do not have as large of a profit margin as lower budget games and therefore require more sales just to break even.

I can definitely see how this is a pressing concern given that our economy has made it where every dollar counts. This is actually why games with a lot of depth and replay value are so good not just in general but in a time like this. I'm still playing Tag 2 since its release back in September of last year and I will likely to continue to play it for quite some time.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Yeah that's definitely an eye opening article, was just as surprised at how well the page translated. Thanks for posting that.

Would bet that wasn't Nintendo's plan all along, but luck still could be luck. Square Enix definitely doesn't sound like it's in a good position, after reading that article it sounds like it's worse off than I even imagined. Was also surprised at how large of a budget AAA games require now-a-days money wise, I honestly didn't realize the industry passed the $10 Million mark.

As a side note, this article reminds me of the Code Monkey's episode: Stonervision, in which the main characters quit their jobs in order to sell a game they made and keep the profit all for themselves, it tanks and they end up owing a couple hundred grand to the mafia who want it back.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Actually, SE is starting to look at what is and what isn't working for them. There's hope for them there.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Spanish =/= Portuguese =/= 日本語 but...

-Ridiculous budgets
Wii dev budgets = 5-7 million.
360/PS3 dev = 20-30 million.
Depending on some factors a non Wii developing studio will have to sell more than half a million copies to begin to see a return on the investment.

-How does spending get out of control?
Nowadays AAA titles require more people working on a title than ever.
Production costs are also higher than ever.
Marketing spending has to be maximized to attempt to increase sales (because they have to sell those games).
Games with heavy cinematic emphasis have to produce a product that's on par with a movie and other high budget games.

-Unrealistic expectations
Nowadays developers look to churn out a product that will be as successful as Call of Duty.
Some of these devs have had costly flops.
Titles such as RE6 and Dead Space 3 had massive shipments, relatively poor sales and were ultimately deemed failures.
Using Metacritic to forecast successful launches and sales has hurt companies in the past and is still doing that to some devs.

- What will come next?
Next gen developing costs are expected to significantly increase.
Nintendo is looking to port games to it's WiiU console, seek developer collaborations and remain close to it's development habits.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
~automatic pretty much summarized the highlights of the article. I was going to translate those points too, but I'm afraid I'm feeling very tired today and translating something is not an easy task.

Anyway, it is a very interesting article (that's why I shared it). Spending high amounts money on something that is still a niche market is not a good idea. Some companies have very wrong expectations on how their games will sell and, even if they make excellent quality games, those simply won't sell and all the money invested on the games' production will be completely wasted.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Soooooo is the article is possibly saying that the next gen consoles could be asking for more than $60 like the current gen is? That's one reason why I don't give a dang on how powerful and pretty a system is. Just give me a game that functions properly, gives me a challenge, and will last me for a very reasonable amount of time.

And ---, I LOVE Code Monkeys! A great and hilarious show. Now I want to see an episode.

Also, this is my 500th post!

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I don't even know anymore. PS3 and 360 didn't really appeal to me and I doubt their next gen counterparts will appeal to me. It also doesn't help that the next Sony/MS consoles might lock used games and have some big brother-ish features that aren't necessary at all. The WiiU doesn't really have any system sellers so far so I'm still not buying or even feigning interest until I see some awesome games.

EDIT: Besides, the 3DS is probably the most solid console out at the moment and it still hasn't peaked.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I seriously hope next gen doesn't include some BS restrictions and money drainers like DLC and Season Passes.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I feel that out of the desire to continue to play fighting games, I'm going to have to get either the PS4 or the 720. Thing is, both have good reasons for me to go with one or the other. The 720 is where I have all my 360 content, but the PS4 is going to have the Japanese games I'm going to have more of an interest in along with likely a larger interest in air dash fighters and Tekken.

I'll have to do a side by side for this one even though I'll be getting the WiiU before one of them.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Pretty much what Automatic said applies to me, although I did end up getting a PS3 for non-Wii 3rd party titles from Sega/NB/Capcom/Konami. Aside from that it also came down to the 360's failure rate and paying for online. Wasn't really all that big on the Wii either, although I'm in the process of trying to dig into the titles that I missed (except for Xenoblade's $100 price tag :ohwell:) like Sin & Punishment.

Outside of what Nintendo could bring at E3 this year, the only modern system I'm really interested in is the 3DS. My list of wants for that system is just as backed up as my lists for my Retro systems.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The funny thing is that I had no 360 exclusive games.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
As requested in the Social Thread, I'll post my derp fighters here: Introducing the cute and lovable, Liggypujff!

Ain't she cute?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I pretty much got a cheap Xbox 360 for Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Sonic games.

I'm not too sure I'll do the same next generation, although I'm definately buying the Wii U if only for Smash.

BTW Kuma, who do you use in UMVC3?

@ Habanero

You missed ZSS and DG.

D

Deleted member

The funny thing is that I had no 360 exclusive games.
That's because the only 360 exclusive worth chacking out is Halo.

Outside of that 360 has the better versions of the multiplats. Shame the controller is such ****.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Didn't want to risk getting the thread locked so i followed the link here:
This is as sexy as Samus gets

Zewro Back-brace Shamus. The wigs on backwards. LOL

Now where did i leave that blasted tether gun???

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Here is Nisco the Hoghedge!

Isn't he fast?!?

Nicso.png

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Someone's doing Diddy? All right then...Well, Smash does need more females. So here's the beautiful Idixe Knog!

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I got some Namco reps. Will they make the cut in the new smash? :awesome:

Cap Nam

Dyoll Viring

D

Deleted member

You people are insane!!

So I guess this is what happens when boredom hits its limit...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dyidd Knog! What a cool name for a username btw...

This is gonna be my new avatar. **** the popo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom