• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is true.
Though, speaking through my own experience, I just witness it a lot more in the Smash community
I've been involved with the Tekken and SF community, and they seemed a lot more down to earth around me, not counting the over-elitist fightstick warriors you'd run into every now and then.
My time with the Smash community is just summed up by crybabies, meme-obsessed pre-teens, elitists and keyboard warriors. Admittedly, I know a few cool people through this game, but not many.

That's just me though.

You and me both. This man tells it how it is.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The only game I can't really get into is MvC3. I tried guys, I honestly tried to get into it.

I love Smash, Injustce, Street Fighter, Teken Tag Team, KoF and Blazblue
Marvel's that kind of game where you love it or hate it.

other fighting games are like mixed martial arts I guess while Smash is Sumo

saying smash isn't a fighting game is like saying Sumo isn't real righting (I do think smash is 1/2 party game though but you can change that though)
Ironically, sports martial arts are the ones with a point system while traditional fighting games have you fight until one of you falls over.

Of course, the vast majority of the attacks you do in a game like Tekken would end the round.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
The only game I can't really get into is MvC3. I tried guys, I honestly tried to get into it.

I love Smash, Injustce, Street Fighter, Teken Tag Team, KoF and Blazblue
Marvel is definitely not for everyone, homie. I totally understand where you're coming from there. It's really, really ****ing random, even at high levels of play. Not to say there isn't any way to minimize the randomness; on the contrary, one of the biggest parts of the meta is ensuring that you MINIMIZE it versus trying to negate it outright.

(We'll not get into the bull**** that Pepperface pointed out because, well, it's kind of a given.)

Still, I have a lot of love for Marvel, and a lot of respect for people that are good at Marvel ('course, it helps that folk like the Four Gods of Marvel are already insanely good at other fighters... ). It's tougher to play than a lot of people give it credit for.

Smooth Criminal

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Playing without items alone turns around the whole 'fighting / party - game' into a full fighter. Sure, it works a little different cause of the concept, and no healthbar but % and stocks instead. But there's great strategy involved in it to. It's definitely a thinking game. Melee especially can get really intense.

Though, I think I slightly prefer Brawl to honestly. Only cause I don't really find motivation in learning / perfecting any characters in Melee as I find with Diddy.
So I'm guessing you'll say the same about Impa is she's in Smash 4? :lol:

That aside, I haven't played many fighting games, but I'm still going to say Smash may be the most intense of strategic fighting game series ever made, I think all I need to know is how most other fighting games play when compared to Smash.

The stock and points coming into play helps with this, most fighting games just give you one life (or two if it's a tag team game, one for each character)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
saying smash isn't a fighting game is like saying Sumo isn't real righting (I do think smash is 1/2 party game though but you can change that though)
To be fair, it's called Sumo Wrestling. The analogy isn't too good, but yes, Smash Bros. is quite definitely a fighting game(where fighting-like Sports are legitimately arguable as either). It obviously has party elements, which don't entirely exist in every possible way to play. You can play it like a traditional fighter for the most part. Static course, no items. Albeit, the character's movesets are kind of crazy in the Marvel VS Capcom sense, but that means little. And with Stamina Mode, wellllllll...

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Marvel is definitely not for everyone, homie. I totally understand where you're coming from there. It's really, really ****ing random, even at high levels of play. Not to say there isn't any way to minimize the randomness; on the contrary, one of the biggest parts of the meta is ensuring that you MINIMIZE it versus trying to outright negate it.
Smooth Criminal
The thing is I loved MvC2!
There is an arcade stand in my town's pizza shop close to where I used to go to High School and I used spend a good chunk of time playing it on my way from school to home.
Something about 3 I just can't get into... Idk if it's the X-factor or what...

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
I have a question. Regarding the footage of Mario vs Megaman we have... Do you guys really think this game is faster than Brawl ?
Going just off the footage of the Megaman vs. Mario fight? Assuming they aren't playing on lightning-YES GOD YES. Assuming they are playing on lightning(pretty sure they are)...still yes. And either way Mario is definitely much less floaty than he was in Brawl. I was playing Brawl just yesterday and the difference is pretty clear I'd say.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's definitely faster. And Mario could kill Megaman at quite early %s.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Jezus! Smooth and Kuma you guys are tripping me out with the SWAT Kats avis :rotfl:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The thing is I loved MvC!
There is an arcade stand in my town's pizza shop close to where I used to go to High School and I used spend a good chunk of time playing it on my way from school to home.
X-Factor would definitely be a deal breaker.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Prolly 'cause Marvel 3 is not quite as fast-paced and frantic as Marvel 2.

Case in point...

Watch a couple of matches, mang. The difference is astronomical.

I'm one of those peeps that couldn't give a damn about X-Factor, btw. I just wish it worked more like a burst rather than a straight-up cancel. It would have been a little more balanced.

Smooth Criminal

Mr. OC

Smash Journeyman
That aside, I haven't played many fighting games, but I'm still going to say Smash may be the most intense of strategic fighting game series ever made, I think all I need to know is how most other fighting games play when compared to Smash.

The stock and points coming into play helps with this, most fighting games just give you one life (or two if it's a tag team game, one for each character)
I wouldn't exactly compare Smash to Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, etc, since they play almost nothing alike.

They aren't similar just because they're 2D.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I prefer Brawl's speed. Melee is just as awesome in my opinion, but I refuse to participate in any arguments anyone would want to start with me on it. I like them both, they are both awesome, it's my own opinion, and I'm not going to shoot down your opinion, so why would you want to shoot down mine? You can say what you want about the games, but saying the speed and game were just plain bad is not a fact. End of line.
Brawl and Melee are different games which provide different experiences.
Brawl's pace allows both players to calmly collect themselves, think and go back to square one after a hit or trade. A stock is the culmination of a slow process of outsmarting the opponent multiple times. It might be a basic game, but it's a good indicator of how well you understand confrontation in a 2D plane.

Melee's pace makes every little action count. Risk/reward is magnified in Melee. One read coupled with a high technical proficiency can put you a stock ahead making this game unforgiving and exciting. Melee is for people who want to dive right into some ass kicking and not a chess game with no timers (figuratively speaking).

People who play one game shouldn't expect an experience like the other game provides. That being said, keep an open mind when playing the new Smash game. Don't think of it as a 2.0 of any game in the franchise.

Hahahahahaha! I'm 22 and my energy has gone UP since I was 16. Play me in Street Fighter 4 and most people that aren't used to playing against me will be mentally exhausted after 2 or 3 matches.
Yeah; us veterans get even better with age. I'm getting back into SF btw (I just need a console).

EDIT: Do you play KOF? You strike me as a person who would enjoy KOF 13.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So I'm guessing you'll say the same about Impa is she's in Smash 4? :lol:

Please do this before you praise how Smash is so deep. Big downside to other fighting games is how everyone goes in all YOLO and not understanding that there is strategy for fighting.

The thing is I loved MvC!

I'm in the same boat. I played 1 and 2 to death, and I actually really liked TvC. I think the thing that turned me off was how the engine leaned more towards mimicking other fighters with ground/wall bounces ves capitalizing on using effective hit stun/combo loops, understanding otg windows and implementing well timed juggles. It was also the over simplification of the series where they exchanged specifically tailored punch/kick buttons to just light, medium and strong hits. Over simplified combo schemes, and the characters just don't have that same flare and personality as they did in the previous two games (The 2D art style lent more of a comic book feel more than MvC3 was supposed to do), not to mention every character looks the same when they are getting hit in the air vs each character having a unique animation. And then there's X factor...ugh. MvC3 just isn't the same, in reality it's a 1, 2, 3, lanch, 1, 2, 3, launch, otg super-fest

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
The only characters I can play decently by my standards in MvC3 are Amaterasu and Tron. In Simple Mode.

I have no idea how to activate X-Factor. :chuckle:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yeah; us veterans get even better with age. I'm getting back into SF btw (I just need a console).

EDIT: Do you play KOF? You strike me as a person who would enjoy KOF 13.
Just because I'm Mexican doesn't mean that I play KOF 13. I have it, but I just couldn't get quite into it. I saw the appeal, but making a team for me was a nightmare. The two characters I enjoyed were Athena and Daimon. Now, I didn't finally have a grasp of fundamentals until I played Tekken Tag 2. When I went to play SF4 again, my fundamentals and playstyle were more fluid, solid, and unpredictable.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I wouldn't exactly compare Smash to Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, etc, since they play almost nothing alike.

They aren't similar just because they're 2D.
Power Stone is one of the few fighting games somewhat similar to Smash, but Smash plays somewhat similar to a beat 'em up(that is, courses that aren't purely flat, and items). It gets worse when SSE is just pretty much a beat 'em up overall, albeit, it's directly 2D, where beat 'em ups are always on a 3D plane(2D graphics, though). Or 2.5D, if you will. Then again, Smash Bros. did have some similarities to the Fighting gameplay in some of the Kirby games, which makes sense due to who made them.

Really, Smash Bros. is essentially a Beat 'em up and almost like a fighting game version of the Kirby series. I mean, perhaps a bit different, but it does more or less hold true.(especially in 64 and All-Star mode, same with Boss Battles)

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Please do this before you praise how Smash is so deep. Big downside to other fighting games is how everyone goes in all YOLO and not understanding that there is strategy for fighting.
I couldn't agree more with Kuma on this, Oogie. You really need to play more fighters.

I'm in the same boat. I played 1 and 2 to death, and I actually really liked TvC. I think the thing that turned me off was how the engine leaned more towards mimicking other fighters with ground/wall bounces ves capitalizing on using effective hit stun/combo loops, understanding otg windows and implementing well timed juggles. It was also the over simplification of the series where they exchanged specifically tailored punch/kick buttons to just light, medium and strong hits. Over simplified combo schemes, and the characters just don't have that same flare and personality as they did in the previous two games (The 2D art style lent more of a comic book feel more than MvC3 was supposed to do), not to mention every character looks the same when they are getting hit in the air vs each character having a unique animation. And then there's X factor...ugh. MvC3 just isn't the same, in reality it's a 1, 2, 3, lanch, 1, 2, 3, launch, otg super-fest
*looks at Marvel 2. Sees the same thing, only with no wallbounces, less leniency on OTG options, and much more broken bull****.*

Other than that (and TvC, c'mon bro, lol), I can totally see where you're coming from, and a lot of other (current) Marvel players'll agree.

I wanna play KoF.

Smooth Criminal

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Oh look, Oasis is here to complain about being competitive. Ironic because this is the guy always praising that he's so Strong and crap.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Hate to be that guy, but I was computerless for a few days. Anything besides the "No fighting game characters" bit?

Oh look, Oasis is here to complain about being competitive. Ironic because this is the guy always praising that he's so Strong and crap.

I've played him online in Brawl

He Smashvilles with no items.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I wanna play KoF.

Smooth Criminal
If we didn't have only three people in the state that actually played this and the netcode wasn't scheise, I'd consider picking it up again.

Hate to be that guy, but I was computerless for a few days. Anything besides the "No fighting game characters" bit?
Smooth and I are a team of kat pilots.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Brawl and Melee are different games which provide different experiences.
Brawl's pace allows both players to calmly collect themselves, think and go back to square one after a hit or trade. A stock is the culmination of a slow process of outsmarting the opponent multiple times. It might be a basic game, but it's a good indicator of how well you understand confrontation in a 2D plane.

Melee's pace makes every little action count. Risk/reward is magnified in Melee. One read coupled with a high technical proficiency can put you a stock ahead making this game unforgiving and exciting. Melee is for people who want to dive right into some *** kicking and not a chess game with no timers (figuratively speaking).

People who play one game shouldn't expect an experience like the other game provides. That being said, keep an open mind when playing the new Smash game. Don't think of it as a 2.0 of any game in the franchise.

This is exactly what I think of them both. It's what they both are.

I personally just enjoy them equally. I get why some people would prefer one playstyle over the other though.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
That's actually how I was until I started playing Brawl online.

I was a VG noob, hardly knew there was so much I had to consider and master to be good.

I'm glad I'm not like that anymore.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Psh, me, Oasis, Samurai Goroh and Pigma are team Star Cats. You're just following the trend.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Sounds like you guys have a lot of understanding over fighting games and how you've participated in their competitive scenes. Is it bad that I don't gravitate to one genre as my favorite, especially a competitive one?

I couldn't agree more with Kuma on this, Oogie. You really need to play more fighters.

*looks at Marvel 2. Sees the same thing, only with no wallbounces, less leniency on OTG options, and much more broken bull****.*

Other than that (and TvC, c'mon bro, lol), I can totally see where you're coming from, and a lot of other (current) Marvel players'll agree.

I wanna play KoF.

Smooth Criminal

Lol I liked TvC, much better than I enjoyed Marvel. Baroque combos were pretty great, and though it was fairly powerful, not as much as X-Factor given the fact that hit stun still deteriorates in the game. You could have your character retreat or use all of your read health to extend your combo and power your character up during said combo. Even though it could be done with very little red health as well, it still made your character weak and the damage would scale down significantly. Mega Crash was clearly a burst mechanic, but it was pretty good at preventing some dumb ****, and not to mention people got creative with it for combos. Besides, every character could air dash (Besides the big ****s). I ****ing love ai rdashing, free zoning for everyone.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That's actually how I was until I started playing Brawl online.

I was a VG noob, hardly knew there was so much I had to consider and master to be good.

I'm glad I'm not like that anymore.
Now do the same for Tekken, KOF 13, and 3rd Strike - because SF4 is poor teacher for fundamentals.
Psh, me, Oasis, Samurai Goroh and Pigma are team Star Cats. You're just following the trend.
Here's your new avi.

My fundamentals usually just consist of high amounts of get-in-your-**** rush down accompanied by crazy/random high risk high reward pressure/mix-ups.

That's why I play Makoto in 3rd Strike. IN fact, I would just play Makoto in every fighting game ever made. Her play style and character are just so dope.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
More of a Street Sharks dude than a SWAT Kats, but both shows take me back

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Sounds like you guys have a lot of understanding over fighting games and how you've participated in their competitive scenes. Is it bad that I don't gravitate to one genre as my favorite, especially a competitive one?
No.

There is such a thing as being, simply, a "gamer."

@ EPF: Oh I liked TvC's mechanics. It just felt...weird, idk. As a whole. Lots of broken stuff there even with the failsafes (Karas infinite was just...fdlhghhghkfhgkghkfhkhgkhfs). I should've clarified that I was ribbing on you liking TvC; I wasn't denigrating you for it. xD

Not only do I play Gouki in SF4, but I also play him in 3S. :troll:

@ Shortie: Get on our level, son.

Smooth Criminal

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Well, sure, observing my habits, I'm more of an all-around gamer with preferences towards certain genres. Maybe I'm seeing myself as gravitating towards one company and delving less.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
... I don't like people sometimes.
I have a question, if someone shows they lack knowledge on a subject, should people listen to them on same subject?
If the answer "you/it's ********" is the majority of an answer in the debate, should that person be listened to?
You see, saying something is ******** is no different than any other wave of the hand dismissal of an argument, it's just like saying "you/it's stupid", politely ask why and when they respond, destroy them, that is if you are truly in the right, there is a way. If they insist without explaining their position in greater detail, then simply disregard their posts, or destroy them, that is not them or their faux argument, but by creating an absolute monster of a post on your position that clearly defines and quantifies everything so there can be no doubt.
It all boils down to elitism.
In my honest opinion, it's one of the many cancerous aspects that ruin Smash's "community" and turn people away.
It's what kept me from wanting to ever attend tournaments.
I want you to point me in the direction of this elitism so I can destroy them. I think comparatively Smash is pretty good at fighting game community, most of the high end people we have are very manner in real life, I see hugs and handshakes at every tourney, not much rage and not much swearing. I wouldn't take internet warriors as the true measure of our community ;)

nessokman

Smash Lord
I feel as though They are holding back the reveals for something spectacular. We'll get a Pokemon rep when X and Y come out, Zelda rep with LBW comes out, mario rep when dream team comes (Maybe), to finish the year of luigi we will get luigi, and so on, but they will no doubt have a HUGE nintendo direct before smash comes out, in which they reveal tons of stuff

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I don't have a particular favorite genre of gaming, I like a lot of them. Action, Puzzle, Platformer, Fighter, Shoot em up, RPG. I like most genres, whether I like the game or not does not completely depend on the genre, it's content and plot, and exactly what kind of strategy the game will have you use.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I feel as though They are holding back the reveals for something spectacular. We'll get a Pokemon rep when X and Y come out, Zelda rep with LBW comes out, mario rep when dream team comes (Maybe), to finish the year of luigi we will get luigi, and so on, but they will no doubt have a HUGE nintendo direct before smash comes out, in which they reveal tons of stuff
I'm personally hoping to see a Toon Link reveal at Wind Waker HD's release.

Also a Bowser Jr. reveal at some point.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
My fundamentals usually just consist of high amounts of get-in-your-**** rush down accompanied by crazy/random high risk high reward pressure/mix-ups.

That's why I play Makoto in 3rd Strike. IN fact, I would just play Makoto in every fighting game ever made. Her play style and character are just so dope.
My playstyle has evolved over time. Mine can practically be described with just Xiaoyu - movement, pokes, whiff punishing, high risk maneuvers, and mixups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom