• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Mario/Odyssey Mario for Smash- Because why not?

Hey, is this the threads for Mario as a whole, or just Super Mario Odyssey!Mario? I don't see any other Mario threads, so I'll assume these are also the threads for Mario as a whole, and I'll share my ideas for Mario here. This is basically an extended version of my suggestions in the revamp a veteran thread.

So, what moves would I add and what would I replace?

Nothing. Nothing at all. All in all, I think with SSB4, they really nailed Mario's moveset. He represents what he was always meant to be; the all rounder, the gimmick free cool kid who can do a bit of everything, and can fit into many scenarios seamlessly. He has enough of his most iconic moves from his own series, and, well, his moveset largely emphasizes his role as the one right in the middle of the pack, the perfect introductory character. He just feels, well, like Mario. I will share a few mild, insignificant changes, most for balance and some stuff I'd just like to see, to help him fit the all-rounder mold even better.

In general, I would tone down his frame data a bit, especially on his KOing options. While he should have good frame data, it's a bit TOO fast (some of the fastest in the game, and it makes him feel a bit more like a rushdown character in some situations, which isn't how I think Mario should be). Up smash and up air in particular get the biggest nerfs (Up smash's FAF increased from 40 to 44, making it less spammable, and up air's start up is increased from 4 frames to 6, making two of his more ridiculous tools a bit more down to earth). To compensate, Mario's KOing power is boosted a bit, with a few more kill moves and having a bit more ease killing. To me, the things that needed to be adjusted the most for Mario's core design were his speed and power, the former for being too prevalent, and the latter being inconsistent and surprisingly low, which just doesn't feel like Mario to me. So with those two changes, his moveset is perfect to me. He now has a bit more average speed, and launching power on the higher end of the middle class, finishing his ideal character mold to me. This models how in the Mario spin offs, he is the all-rounder, but his strength stat is a bit higher by comparison (along with his agility).

TL,DR: I mostly elevated his kill power, toned down his frame data a bit, and nerfed a few of his more overwhelming options so that he would be about equally proficient at all roles (a bit more strength and agility, but not anything significantly greater than the rest), having slower moves so you can counterplay him better, but now having fairly consistent kill power to edge out the final sharp edges in his design for me.

General

• Mario's weight has been changed from 98 back to 100.

Ground Attacks

• F-tilt: Increased base knockback (8 → 13) if angled down, like in Brawl.

• U-tilt: It now has a flame effect.

• F-smash: Endlag has been increased a little bit (FAF 48 → 50), bringing it in line with similar forward smashes power and start-up wise. It also has it's Melee animation now.
  • U-smash: The endlag has been increased (FAF 40 → 44), making it not so spammable.

• D-smash: Has slightly increased start-up (Frame 5-6 → 7-8), making it slower than his tilts now, but has improved damage to make up for it (10% → 12% (Front hit), 12% → 14% (Back hit).
Air Attacks

• N-air: The damage has been increased (Clean hit: 8% → 12%), reverting it to it’s Melee incarnation.

• F-air: It now has a flame effect.

• U-air: The move has been slowed down a bit (Frame 4 → Frame 6), and it’s base knockback has also been raised (10 → 13), toning down it’s crazy combo potential a bit.

• D-air: The final hit is a bit faster (Frame 25 → Frame 22). This prevents people from airdodging out of the final hit for no reason.

Throws

• Back throw: The damage has been increased (11% → 12%), and it’s base knockback has been improved (70 → 80). The knockback scaling has been knocked down just a small kick though (66 → 65), reverting the move to it’s Melee incarnation.

• His dash grab has had it’s endlag increased slightly (FAF 37 → 39). Considering the reward his grab game gives him, this seemed like a fair and balanced counterplay.

Also, he now has a different victory pose to replace his punch; he drops down low to the floor, breakdances a bit, and then spins into a stylish pose when the announcer calls his name. He also claps a bit more begrudgingly when he loses.

Also; If this is the Smash with Project M esque alternates as some people have theorized, then I do think Mario should get an alt costume. I want Dr Mario to stay his own character, so this is my personal pick (thanks for making me love this one, Super Mario Odyssey):

(If characters will be allotted more than one alternate skin, then my choice for Mario's second one would probably be Builder Mario)

(EDIT: Also, as NintendoKnight informed me, the costume officially has blue sunglasses in both Sunshine and Odyssey, rather than black as the picture suggests. And this is why fact verification is important, kiddies.)

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Also; If this is the Smash with Project M esque alternates as some people have theorized, then I do think Mario should get an alt costume. I want Dr Mario to stay his own character, so this is my personal pick (thanks for making me love this one, Super Mario Odyssey)

(He will also have an alternate version of this costume that gives him the blue sunglasses from the Super Mario Odyssey version)
Just want to make a correction here:

The blue-rimmed sunglasses are from Sunshine, not Odyssey. This is how the original outfit actually looks, not the fan-modded black-rimmed ones in the image you posted. Odyssey used an exact recreation of the outfit, not an altered adaptation.

Sorry, but I couldn't just leave the misinformation alone.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
...I'm not really sure about Red M's Down Strong Attack being the rolling move.

It should either be a Dash Attack or a Downward Special.

ThiagoCavalcanteCarvalho

Smash Apprentice
I wish Mario and Dr. Mario would merge. It would not be a problem to use extra configurable moves like the pula. And then nothing would prevent other professions like Mario Engineer from being put into the game if it were done this way. I do not know. He would throw wrenches with B or build something with the side or down B. I think that besides, there are few modifications that I think for him. Like use the Odyssey Hat. Ah! And I think all characters like Mario could have some kind of jump attack. That is, to cause damage to the opponent when stepping on him.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
What if the Cape and Mario Tornado were merged into one move? Y'know, so it becomes like the spin jump with the cape equipped in SMW.

The idea I have is that if you press Down B once, you'll make a small hop and spin enemies around and reflect projectlies. However, repreatedly mashing the B button makes you spin a lot, trapping opponents and dealing a lot of damage, and after a big hop, allowing you to slow your descent in the air.

I dunno, just throwing that idea out there.

Nakamura

Smash Cadet
make his side B a cappy attack, but I do think we should keep his Up B.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
GameXplain posted their take on it

Guljy

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 3601 9213 6336
I think it would be cool if he could have a side b or in into animation where he rides on a jaxi

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Alternatively, we could leave his specials alone and change one or more of his normals.

One of these that could work is to change f-air into an attack where he brings down the edge of his hat on the opponent's head, similar to the down-throw in Odyssey, except that he doesn't let go of his hat. It would have basically the same function as his current f-air except that it'd be slightly disjointed.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well Cappy and the Wedding outfit are in. Not in any way that alters his playstyle really but it's cool nonetheless.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
man... i wish they changed the downb already to a cappy throw and make it have some mario odyssey-esque mechanics

6amerBr0

Smash Rookie
Cool idea, but I like that he has moves from different games. However, Cappy does appear in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as a reference to Super Mario Odyssey. Mario uses Cappy in one of his taunts and Cappy's eyes will occasionally appear from time to time.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I really wish that Mario would've gotten that new D Air that was given to Dr.Mario honestly. It fits better with Mario than the Doc.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I really wish that Mario would've gotten that new D Air that was given to Dr.Mario honestly. It fits better with Mario than the Doc.
I can see why they didn't but I get where you're coming from. It looks like an almighty "TAKE THAT GOOMBAH" stomp.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
I'm fine with Mario's old up taunt being removed. It was a nice references to the power mushroom and was Mario's original taunt from 64. But the removal of Mario's old side taunt saddens me. That little spin and removal of the hat was so classy. I was hoping they would make room for it by making left and right taunts instead of both directions doing one taunt. Like Mario's old side taunt would be left taunt and then his new thumbs up taunt be right taunt.
The Cappy and thumbs up taunts are cool though.

I also find the removal of the Fire Mario alt to be strange. Out of all the alt colors to throw out they removed the most obvious and most iconic palette swap in gaming.

Y0_shyK

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
2197 7166 2417
I'm honestly glad that mario kept his old moveset cause it serves such a unique playstyle of gimping and killing offstage that no other character has in smash... I think Nintendo made it right by capturing the spirit of the Odyssey Mario with all these little adjustments but not changing the mario meta play.

Top Bottom