• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Mario Bros. Characters Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Well if you're concerned about short limbs, then allow me to put your mind at ease with my beautiful new Jill Dozer moveset in the support thread!

*shameless plug*

D

Deleted member

Considering that the limbs of cartoonish characters stretch in Smash, I doubt this would really be a problem.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Waluigi has numerous strange abilities at his disposal, such as swimming in midair, spinning in an actual tornado (in comparison to Mario's/Luigi's tornado moves in Smash), teleporting in puffs of purple fire, spawning purple thorns, as well as using a thorn whip.
He's also got a four appendaged backpack to toss various objects with and has superior leg strength in comparison to the other characters, being able to kick Bowser into submission, as well as being able to stomp people into the ground.
In terms of weaponry, he's also got an affinity with Bob-Ombs (not unique, I know), a potted Piranha Plant, Sparky Stickers (well, he favors them, anyway), and Whiskered Eggplants.

And even outside from that, Peach only uses a tennis racket and golf club for ONE MOVE. So to say that she "covers the spin-offs" is being undermining.
She also uses a frying pan. This comes from Super Mario RPG. She represents the RPGs. Paper Mario is unneeded. She pulls out Vegetables. This comes from SMB2. She represents that game. Toad is unneeded.
See how faulty that logic is?
I suppose i couldve worded the Waluigi part better. By mentioning the moves, i meant more that he would need more than the racket to "represent" the spin offs, which i still find unnecessary to represent myself. The Frying pan for Peach doesn't entirely rep Paper Mario necessarily. Moreso for Mario RPG, which isnt really closely similar to Paper Mario. I already am not a huge fan of Toad being playable in the next one, but im not sure that it would entirely disallow Toad. it would just make it harder without taking that move.

EDIT: My beef with Toad's limbs is that they are just SO PUNY. Comparable to Pikachu in my opinion, which he doesnt use. Like i said, im not ruling out a moveset not needing his arms necessarily, but i think it would be weird to have a moveset with a majority of projectiles if they cant figure out what to do with his arms

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Short arms don't mean anything if Toad has fingers, which he does. Of course, Kirby and Jigglypuff can wield stuff with their arms, even without fingers.

yani

Smash Lord
Waluigi has numerous strange abilities at his disposal, such as swimming in midair, spinning in an actual tornado (in comparison to Mario's/Luigi's tornado moves in Smash), teleporting in puffs of purple fire, spawning purple thorns, as well as using a thorn whip.
He's also got a four appendaged backpack to toss various objects with and has superior leg strength in comparison to the other characters, being able to kick Bowser into submission, as well as being able to stomp people into the ground.
In terms of weaponry, he's also got an affinity with Bob-Ombs (not unique, I know), a potted Piranha Plant, Sparky Stickers (well, he favors them, anyway), and Whiskered Eggplants.
This is why I think Waluigi would be a good addition. A nice wacky moveset would be fun.

I also wouldn't mind Toad. Most of the movesets here are pretty good. I just don't want him using a kart in any shape or form.:glare:

I HATE Jr though.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Daisy can use all of her flower based attacks along with the fact that she is both stronger and faster than Peach.

:phone:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Flower Orb from Mario Party 7
Wonder Flower and Flowerbed Return from Mario Tennis Open
Flower Shot from Mario Hoops 3 on 3
Flower Ball from Mario Supersar Baseball and Mario Super Sluggers
Flowser Swing from Mario Super Sluggers
She has the tornado strike, she can summon huge orange crystals from the ground and she can teleport in Super Mario Strikers.

In promotional art, she has been seen with a baseball bat, a soccer ball, a butterfly net, A chain chomp whistle and a camera

Plus like any other any Mario character, she can jump, kick, punch an ground pound.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Daisy can use all of her flower based attacks along with the fact that she is both stronger and faster than Peach.

That's not always the case though, since in most games, Peach and Daisy have the same speed attributes. In Mario Sports Mix, however, Daisy is slightly slower than Peach.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
But in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, Daisy is put into the speed catagory. Also, she is the third most heaviest character in Mario Gold: Toadstool Tour (only after Bowser an DK.)

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
overall id say if any series should get more than 4 characters it would be Mario. that being said Bowser Jr and Waluigi are my hopefuls.

Bowser Jr cause he's made a very substantial name for himself and his appearences in Mario games have given him a very different moveset from Bowser

Waluigi more or less to finish the Mario Luigi Wario Waluigi square. but he does have potential to be a very interesting character.

I know a lot of people say Toad but even though he is just as deserving if not more so than these other two, he just doesnt seem as interesting. every fan moveset ive seen for him have been just awful

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
overall id say if any series should get more than 4 characters it would be Mario. that being said Bowser Jr and Waluigi are my hopefuls.

Bowser Jr cause he's made a very substantial name for himself and his appearences in Mario games have given him a very different moveset from Bowser

Waluigi more or less to finish the Mario Luigi Wario Waluigi square. but he does have potential to be a very interesting character.

I know a lot of people say Toad but even though he is just as deserving if not more so than these other two, he just doesnt seem as interesting. every fan moveset ive seen for him have been just awful
^My thoughts exactly.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why do we need Waluigi? He's never been in a mainstream title

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
But in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, Daisy is put into the speed catagory. Also, she is the third most heaviest character in Mario Gold: Toadstool Tour (only after Bowser an DK.)

Uhhh... Daisy the third heaviest character after Bowser and Donkey Kong in Mario Golf Toadstool Tour? I am sorry but I cannot seem to wrap my mind around Daisy being heavier than Wario and Petey Piranha.

If people are saying Waluigi is needed to complete the Mario Bros. vs. Wario Bros. square, then following this concept, Toad is needed to complete the SMB2 heroes, the NSMB series heroes, the Mario Big Eight, and the original SMB cast.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

That's why I said it was not "always" the case. It's sort of like with Bowser and Donkey Kong. Normally, Bowser is stronger than DK, but in the DS version of the Olympic Winter Games, DK was the strongest character.

Similarly, in Mario Super Sluggers, Bowser is slightly faster than DK, even through in Mario Superstar Baseball, it was the complete opposite.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
Why do you use the term "mainstream" for the Mario platformers? Basicly any game with the name "Mario" on it can be consindered "mainstream" simply because of the fact that it's Mario, and it sells like hot bread with extra butter. Also, i've said this before, Waluigi pretty much defines the Mario Spin Offs (Mario Party, Mario Kart, Sports). And those games make a huge profit.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The second Waluigi gets into a mario platformer, or even a mario RPG I'll think he's good enough. Platformer over RPG.

Sports titles usuall aren't made by Nintendo, for one. They are made by a second or third party company.

Mario Kart is the only one I can think of made directly by Nintendo, because it's the biggest selling of the bunch. Waluigi wasn't in the last Mario Kart

Mario has always been about the platform games, and it's most beloved characters all originated from them. Everyone in the series did, except Waluigi

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
Mario Kart 7 was made by Retro Studios, though. (Honestly i hated that game, terrible roster)
And no, he didn't originate from a platformer. He did in a Mario Spin Off, because that's that he stands for. We already have the most important cast of the main Mario platformers, plus Wario who later grew into his own franchise. There really isn't that many more characters to pick from anyway. A rep for the Mario spin offs wouldn't hurt, honestly.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Well Daisy actually has more merit than Waluigi.
She has a baby which only she, Mario, Luigi, Peach, DK, Bowser, Wario and Yoshi have.
She has been in every Mario Party except for the Game Boy since her debut in it.
Since Mario Kart Double Dash, she has been in every Mario Kart game to date, which all of the other secondary characters did not make it in (besides minions, Rosalina, Honey Bee and Metal Mario.)
She has appeared in every single sport game since her debut.
She has been in Melee and Brawl as Peach's alternate costume so either Sakauri notices that she exists or that she'll easily be a clone.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
well, not her debut. More her resurgence since she debuted in a Mario platformer on the gameboy

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
As much as i love Daisy, she can't be consindered a "main" Mario character as well. She wasn't created by Shigeru Miyamoto, but Gunpei Yokoi. The Super Mario Land games were made by him too, and had nothing to do with Miyamoto. All her appearances in installments afterwards has been taken place in the spin offs (not to mention she was absent for almost 10 years untill Mario Tennis on N64), so she's kind of in the same boat as Waluigi if we are discussing who's to be classified as "main characters" of the franchise.

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
PsychoIncarnate said:
Why do we need Toad ? He's a move for Peach
Why do we need Bowser Jr. ? He's a small Bowser
Why do we need Paper Mario ? He's Mario in 2D

You see how that logic is kinda faulty ?
We don't need any Mario newcomers.
This dosen't mean I don't want to see them, though.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
Well, calling Toad a "move" for Peach is sorta breaking the fourth wall. He is an original character, and he's one of the original cast with most premise in the main platformer games. I just don't like him very much because i find him annoying. Same with Bowser JR. Paper Mario could be a unique alt. for Mario.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why do we need Toad ? He's a move for Peach
Why do we need Bowser Jr. ? He's a small Bowser
Why do we need Paper Mario ? He's Mario in 2D

You see how that logic is kinda faulty ?
We don't need any Mario newcomers.
This dosen't mean I don't want to see them, though.
Your not using the same logic I was using, and the only reason I included the word need is because someone said we needed him to compete the plumber quartet

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Just going to say this cause I can but Toad can easily be replaced in Peach's neutral special. Toadsworth can take his place. (hitting, shooting and destroying an old mushroom :troll:)

D

Deleted member

Well Daisy actually has more merit than Waluigi.
She has a baby which only she, Mario, Luigi, Peach, DK, Bowser, Wario and Yoshi have. Irrelevant.
She has been in every Mario Party except for the Game Boy since her debut in it. Same with Waluigi; he was even brought into the Party series at the same time as her.
Since Mario Kart Double Dash, she has been in every Mario Kart game to date, which all of the other secondary characters did not make it in (besides minions, Rosalina, Honey Bee and Metal Mario.) That's supposed to mean something? She's an easy model edit.
She has appeared in every single sport game since her debut. Same with Waluigi. Hell, he's been in Mario Tennis Power Tour while Daisy and even WARIO were not.
She has been in Melee and Brawl as Peach's alternate costume so either Sakauri notices that she exists or that she'll easily be a clone. Again, with her stark similarities to Peach, being an alternate coloring for her is easy to see. It's not like Sakurai doesn't ignore Waluigi, though. He refers to Waluigi as a positive thing for Luigi in Luigi's Melee trophy, and states he has has "many brilliant game appearances" in Waluigi's Brawl trophy. And again, WHO is an Assist?
I would like to point out that Waluigi has DDR Mario Mix (even being the main villain) while Daisy does not, and Waluigi is also in Game & Watch Gallery 4, being the only standalone character (as in, not a species or common enemy) other than the "mainstream" Mario characters to do so. Daisy is not in it.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If i recall correctly, Waluigi is the villain for the first area or something in DDR Mario Mix while Bowser comes in and goes hard to the paint at the end. Not that it matters. He appeared in it and she didn't

D

Deleted member

If i recall correctly, Waluigi is the villain for the first area or something in DDR Mario Mix while Bowser comes in and goes hard to the paint at the end. Not that it matters. He appeared in it and she didn't
Here's how the story went:

Waluigi starts us off and steals the Music Keys in his plot to take over the Mushroom Kingdom with his superior dance skills (kind of a wierd plot, but hey, Waluigi is a wierd guy).
When confronted (and defeated) he reveals that he kept only one of the keys for himself, while hiding the other 3 in other locations.
Mario/Luigi eventually gets all the keys from a giant Blooper, Wario, and a giant Freezie.
Bowser comes in out of nowhere and steals them from Mario/Luigi.
Mario/Luigi defeats Bowser in a dance-off, where Bowser reveals that he only wanted to cure his tone deafness.

So yeah, Waluigi was the main villain, but Bowser was the final boss.
It's not like say, Medusa being used by Hades, or Black Shadow following Deathborn's orders. Bowser's only a random plot device.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
i remember it now, thank you for the refresher. I suppose it depends on how people view the whole"main villain" thing. but yes i agree with you on it

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I was only giving some of the pros for Daisy. She like Mario, Luigi, Peach, Wario, Waluigi, Yoshi and Toad are usually the only character you expect to be playable in every Mario spin-off.

Plus, what about the Koopalings, more importantly the oldest one, Lugwig Von Koopa.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't expect Toad.
His absense as a playable character has been far greater.

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
Do you mean to not expect Toad in Smash Bros? Not that i disagree, but i thought you were an advocate of his inclusion. Change of heart Golden?
I think he's talking about expecting Toad to be playable in Mario spin offs as of lately...

I don't know Toads status in other sports spinoffs but I'm fairly certain he's been in every Mario Kart, right?

D

Deleted member

No, I mean I wouldn't expect Toad to be playable in every Mario spin-off like the others SmasherMaster listed.

Afterall, he has been absent from the Tennis games after the first one, so that's one spin-off I wouldn't expect him to be in, he's never been playable in the Golf games, he's been excluded from quite a few Parties, and without Toadette staying, he could easily be excluded from a Mario Party 10 if there is one, etc.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
OOOOOOOOOO. Alright i gotcha. I was like "really?". man i'm out of it today. i should probably just go to bed before i get any worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom