• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
For those wondering, there is a @goldensunjp account on Twitter that has been inactive since DD.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Spam/image-only

SPEN18

Smash Champion
does someone wanna explain how it is that these twitter accounts can't be faked (if that is indeed the case)?

Last edited:

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
does someone wanna explain how it is that these twitter accounts can't be faked (if that is indeed the case)?
It would require:
A: having access to a .Nintendo.com email, let alone the same email as the other Nintendo twitter accounts, to create these other two accounts
B: coordinating this in march, when the two were created and manipulating every industry insider months later.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
It would require:
A: having access to a .Nintendo.com email, let alone the same email as the other Nintendo twitter accounts, to create these other two accounts
B: coordinating this in march, when the two were created and manipulating every industry insider months later.
Not a nintendo.com email, but presumably a nintendo.co.jp email given the formatting of the recovery email. Semantics, but important nonetheless.

As great as F-Zero returning would be, it does give me pause. If it's the "miracle game" Nate is referring to Golden Sun's future is cast into a bit of doubt. I don't think it is, but I know many people that would call F-Zero returning a miracle.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Not a nintendo.com email, but presumably a nintendo.co.jp email given the formatting of the recovery email. Semantics, but important nonetheless.

As great as F-Zero returning would be, it does give me pause. If it's the "miracle game" Nate is referring to Golden Sun's future is cast into a bit of doubt. I don't think it is, but I know many people that would call F-Zero returning a miracle.
Nate claiming he hasn't heard of GS (just like he didn't hear of the direct first, nor pokemon snap, etc) + him saying in the past apparently tha F-Zero isn't the miracle game, really makes me wonder what the hell could be a miracle at this point… lol

Last edited:

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Nate claiming he hasn't heard of GS (just like he didn't hear of the direct first, nor pokemon snap, etc) + him saying in the past apparently tha F-Zero isn't the miracle game, really makes me wonder what the hell could be a miracle at this point… lol
A game & watch collection? lol

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord

Nate hasn't heard about Golden Sun returning so it already isn't his miracle game. Regardless he doesn't hear everything that's in the works and even admitted that Pokémon Snap was completely off his radar. Golden Sun returning already has a lot going for it so it isn't a cause for concern

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
I mean, Nintendo is full of dormant franchises that would be shocking to see return. Some probably deserve it more than others (Golden Sun, F-Zero, and Advance Wars are my go-to examples), but honestly, the list of franchises Nintendo could bring back is huge. Can you imagine them announcing a new 1080 Snowboarding game? Or Custom Robo? Heck, how about that international Mother 3 release that people have been asking for forever? There are plenty of revivals that need a small miracle to become reality, and just because it's apparently not Golden Sun or F-Zero doesn't make that rumor false, nor de-confirm those two fan-favorites.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I mean, Nintendo is full of dormant franchises that would be shocking to see return. Some probably deserve it more than others (Golden Sun, F-Zero, and Advance Wars are my go-to examples), but honestly, the list of franchises Nintendo could bring back is huge. Can you imagine them announcing a new 1080 Snowboarding game? Or Custom Robo? Heck, how about that international Mother 3 release that people have been asking for forever? There are plenty of revivals that need a small miracle to become reality, and just because it's apparently not Golden Sun or F-Zero doesn't make that rumor false, nor de-confirm those two fan-favorites.
I think most of the stuff on this list has been shot down by Nate, particularly Mother 3

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
What if Sin & Punishment got a new sequel and Saki gets in as a fighter
technically not impossible, but I do very much doubt the latter happens. I am thinking there could be something Sin and Punishment coming, since Treasure's not done anything since the Ikaruga port

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
Well it's a Friday. If there's any announcement for a Direct on the Monday then we should see it today. I'll keep my eyes peeled. I'll be sad if we don't get anything and the direct is on the 28th or something.

Here's my early predictions:

FP7 Announcement - 95% (Seems very likely given this would've been at E3)
FP7 is Isaac - 65% (Biased optimism here. There's not much evidence to say he's been picked, let alone next. But hopefully it co-oincides with...)
Golden Sun Annoucement - 80% (It's pretty high because of all the indirect things we've learned/heard about. Not guaranteed at all in this direct, but I think it's a good time to show something)
Mario 35th Anniversary - 90% (I'm not as invested as others in this but it seems like something they would hold for a main direct)
Metroid - 45% (Whether its MP4 or 2D related, no idea. There's a chance for something but I'm not expecting a lot yet)
BotW2 - 25% (I think the game will be closer to completion before a trailer, rather than just stringing us along)

Not gonna go through everything, there's a lot of possible things i'm not super invested in, so i'm not gonna guess.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Maybe this is me taking the word miracle way too literally, but if Golden Sun and F-Zero were to return, I wouldn't think of it as a miracle persay since they were moreso stopped because of their developers (F-Zero wanting a new gimmick and Takahashi brothers being burnt out and leaving it to fan demand) and not something more drastic like the publisher producing the series going bankrupt and managing to get rehired or taken over by another company to continue on or whatever. So if a new installment for the above were announced, I'd just think it was cause the conditions they set were met. Then again, maybe those conditions being met is a miracle in itself. Especially the fan demand one in regards to Golden Sun, there hasn't really been a surefire way to alert Camelot or the Takahashi brothers of that. And it's been so long since they've made that remark.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Well it's a Friday. If there's any announcement for a Direct on the Monday then we should see it today. I'll keep my eyes peeled. I'll be sad if we don't get anything and the direct is on the 28th or something.

FP7 is Isaac - 65% (Biased optimism here. There's not much evidence to say he's been picked, let alone next. But hopefully it co-oincides with...)
Golden Sun Annoucement - 80% (It's pretty high because of all the indirect things we've learned/heard about. Not guaranteed at all in this direct, but I think it's a good time to show something)
Mario 35th Anniversary - 90% (I'm not as invested as others in this but it seems like something they would hold for a main direct)
Metroid - 45% (Whether its MP4 or 2D related, no idea. There's a chance for something but I'm not expecting a lot yet)
BotW2 - 25% (I think the game will be closer to completion before a trailer, rather than just stringing us along)

Not gonna go through everything, there's a lot of possible things i'm not super invested in, so i'm not gonna guess.
Honestly if I were expecting Isaac (which I'm not, not really) something tells me he'd be like the 5th or 6th character on the pass. I know a lot of people wouldn't consider him an "explosive" end to the fighters pass but the final characters rarely end up being explosive anyway.

The last character in the pass seems more likely to be the character who just scraped on to the roster by the skin of their teeth rather than some big name third party.

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Honestly if I were expecting Isaac (which I'm not, not really) something tells me he'd be like the 5th or 6th character on the pass. I know a lot of people wouldn't consider him an "explosive" end to the fighters pass but the final characters rarely end up being explosive anyway.

The last character in the pass seems more likely to be the character who just scraped on to the roster by the skin of their teeth rather than some big name third party.
If Isaac is in Smash and a new Golden Sun is coming, I could definitely see them doing consecutive announcements as an E3-level surprise. In particular, I could see TBS/TLA remake trailer that seamlessly transitions into a Smash trailer, probably pretending to be an in-engine cutscene like Isabelle's. It seems Sakurai is actively talking with each character's developers (see Min Min), so doing a coordinated marketing push feels very plausible.

Of course, assuming both of those things are happening is still very optimistic. Personally, I think we have enough evidence that a new Golden Sun is more likely than not, but I'm far less sold on Isaac having made the cut in our final five Smash Ultimate characters. Maybe it's just the recent fan polls dampening my enthusiasm, but I can't help but wonder if we've done enough as a community, y'know? Hopefully we'll find out sooner rather than later.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Maybe it's just the recent fan polls dampening my enthusiasm, but I can't help but wonder if we've done enough as a community, y'know? Hopefully we'll find out sooner rather than later.
If it helps, nothing at all that has happened community wise in the last year matters in regards to who the last five fighters are,

I believe the decision for this fighter pass was made around last years E3 (and possibly even a bit before then) so at the very least that was around the time the Golden Sundays were happening. (and it wasn't that long after the reaction to Isaac being an assist trophy, well it was about half a year but the point I'm making is when they were making the decision that wasn't completely forgotten about like it is now)

Last edited:

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman

These numbers seem to be incredibly accurate in my eyes. Just a bit lower on FP7 being Isaac, maybe 40-50%, but all the rest I agree on. I'd also put Bayonetta 3 as 30-40%.

I genuinely think this is going to be the one. More than that Nov 1 2018 Smash direct, more than any other E3 or anything. I think (probably about with 80% certainty) that a GS Switch is actually going to happen here.

I mean, if the direct happens at all. 11AM ET and still no announcement. Can you imagine if it's all delayed until September? What a terrible fate to be met with...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master

I think it is worth remembering that Isaac was one of the most fan-demanded characters in the ballot era and his fan demand isn't by any means small now. People have turned discussion to third parties in general, but it's not like that makes Isaac's legacy of fan demand evaporate or anything. The last pass just had Nintendo flex their licensing deal prowess a lot and people generally tend to vocally support characters they consider feasible.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
If it helps, nothing at all that has happened community wise in the last year matters in regards to who the last five fighters are,

I believe the decision for this fighter pass was made around last years E3 (and possibly even a bit before then) so at the very least that was around the time the Golden Sundays were happening. (and it wasn't that long after the reaction to Isaac being an assist trophy, well it was about half a year but the point I'm making is when they were making the decision that wasn't completely forgotten about like it is now)
I certainly understand that, but I do think watching the ongoing community opinions is a useful gut-check. Past the initial disappointment of Isaac not being playable, it feels like there hasn't been that much sustained interest in and/or expection of Isaac DLC in the wider Smash fandom. That may well signal that support for Isaac was never as strong as we like to believe it was, hence my current doubts. Still, we knew what we were doing at the time: we had to trust that those reactions to Isaac (both his AT reveal and that fake Grinch line-up), in conjunction with community efforts like Golden Sundays, were enough to make that DLC happen. Unfortunately, at this point all we've got is waiting, and waiting upwards of another full year with no promise of success and a long history of disappointment Smash-wise sucks.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Well, posted my own reasonning on RTC.
Isaac: 75%
Sakurai loves to prove fanrules wrong, he did it time and time again, one after the other. AT means nothing, there is already measures in game to disable them under certain circumstances, not even for technical issues (Isaac is disabled on Terry's stage because there is walls so his Move would probably cause issues) but even as a simple joke: Aka Alucard not showing up on the WiiFit stage because there is a mirror. And he's a vampire.
So if Sakurai disable an AT for something as simple as a joke, I don't see why it wouldn't be disabled for a fighter.
Now that this is out of the way, the reasons why I rate him that high.

For anynone doing a little bit of research, it's fairly obvious that a new Golden Sun game is in the works.
A new trademark was filed in late 2018, got approved in japan in november 2019 and then got consistently and relentlessely pushed by Nintendo to get approved worldwide, including in regions where Golden Sun was never released before. I reiterate: a NEW trademark, this is not a renewal. It is separate from all other Golden Sun trademarks (further proof, Dark Dawn's trademark got renewed earlier this year, and that one was indeed a renewal since it's still the same trademark) and has different categories from the other ones. Categories that just so happen to be the same as any Switch game Nintendo ever released.
Golden Sun's fandom have been more active than ever during the Smash speculation, probably enough to get noticed, and even if Pass1 was already decided, they may have taken note of it for the next game or, as we now have a 2nd Pass, this one. The demand has stayed consistent for over 10 years by now, since Brawl, and is stronger than ever now.
Isaac would promote both a new release on Switch AND add a long requested character, a mix of what Banjo and Byleth were basically. A Byleth with no backlash.

Now there is a theory, which is just that, when noticing a pattern (you know, like the AT rules and all that jazz) with how Golden Sun and ARMS were treated in base game. Both got bunch of spirit and an AT, for franchises with no playable fighters. Sakurai recently said that at the time, ARMS was not finished yet, but seemed interresting, so he added all that content for now. The theory goes that, as some of the 1st Pass characters were supposedly hard to get the right to use (Hero and Banjo, Sakurai himself said that Banjo was surprisingly easy to get) some characters may have been kept as "backup" in case they couldn't secure the rights for those characters. According to that theory, those could have been Isaac and Springman (or any other ARMS rep). So who knows ? Only Sakurai does.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I wouldn't have talked about the whole backup thing, people browsing RTC love to try and shoot down stuff they don't fully understand or heavily disagree with despite it being a share your opinions thread

I'm also not 100% in on it to begin with, but if it is meaningless I am just extremely confused

Last edited:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
So I got Piers' boat working and now it looks like I can sail around the entire map. This will be fun lol.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
it feels like there hasn't been that much sustained interest in and/or expection of Isaac DLC in the wider Smash fandom. That may well signal that support for Isaac was never as strong as we like to believe it was, hence my current doubts.
To be fair, that's largely because Isaac became an assist trophy and in the eyes of many became impossible or at least extremely unlikely. I don't think the support he has now can be compared to the support he had before being revealed as an assist trophy for Ultimate.

There's no doubt becoming an assist trophy really damaged his feasibility in the eyes of many, and there's plenty of people who decide on who to support based on who they think is more likely or still possible. I mean I also do it to some extent with characters I care less about like Fawful or Vivian, I'd love to see them playable but I'm not invested in them enough* to outweigh the overwhelming reality that they're not going to happen.

* and I do really like them, they're easily my favourite Mario characters.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Depends. I don't see him happening in the pass itself, but I could see him happening as a Piranha Plant-type bonus character.
Honestly, this is what I hope happens, and not because I've got anything against Waluigi being in the pass. Like, what do you do for his spirits, music, and stage? A bunch of Mario Sports stuff? That just feels like a wasted opportunity. Feels far better to make him a relatively low-effort, bare-bones DLC like the Plant, drop him as a freebie for a month after a major Direct ("thanks to the fans" and all that), and maybe get some extra Smash sales in the process that then buy FP1/2.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I wish I had your confidence guys...

But I'm just not feeling it....

Isaac is probably my most wanted Nintendo character at this point, but I think ATs are a death sentence. I've heard the argument that they don't deconfirm but... I'm not convinced and I don't think anyone but the development team can convince me otherwise.

This **** sucks man.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I wish I had your confidence guys...

But I'm just not feeling it....

Isaac is probably my most wanted Nintendo character at this point, but I think ATs are a death sentence. I've heard the argument that they don't deconfirm but... I'm not convinced and I don't think anyone but the development team can convince me otherwise.

This **** sucks man.
I think Felix without Isaac would be more proof that ATs can't be DLC than Min Min. She has kicks, a different set of default ARMS, and her dragon arm ability, while Felix has...not being an AT.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think Felix without Isaac would be more proof that ATs can't be DLC than Min Min. She has kicks, a different set of default ARMS, and her dragon arm ability, while Felix has...not being an AT.
And again, Assists were never mentioned as to why Spring Man wasn't chosen. Sakurai just said he went to Yabuki to see who was the main character, and Yabuki said everyone was the protagonist. Sakurai then asked who Yabuki wanted, Yabuki said he wanted Min Min, and so Yabuki got Min Min. If he had wanted Spring Man, he most likely would've gotten Spring Man. Simple as that.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Terry looks good in blue and he’s still my favorite (next to Banjo) DLC character so far.

And again, Assists were never mentioned as to why Spring Man wasn't chosen. Sakurai just said he went to Yabuki to see who was the main character, and Yabuki said everyone was the protagonist. Sakurai then asked who Yabuki wanted, Yabuki said he wanted Min Min, and so Yabuki got Min Min. If he had wanted Spring Man, he most likely would've gotten Spring Man. Simple as that.
Exactly this! If ATs do deconfirm, that would have been the perfect opportunity for Sakurai to address it, but he didn’t. Nothing in that presentation said otherwise. Spring Man had a chance. Just that the creator of ARMS wanted Min Min specifically.
When Golden Sun is next, Isaac most likely will be the character chosen for many reasons.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Ok, so from what a I can tell, here are the announcements people expect in the direct in no particular order, as compiled by the internet:

-Mario remasters
-Mario spinoffs (most likely Mario Kart 9)
-new smash character
-BotW 2 news
-Pokemon info (though not too much, just some updates on announced projects)
-new F-Zero
-new Golden Sun
-maybe Metroid?
-Persona on the switch?
-maybe Pikmin (port and/or 4)?
-Monolith (XCX Remaster and/or new fantasy IP)

let me know what I've missed to update this.

edit: updated

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
To be fair, that's largely because Isaac became an assist trophy and in the eyes of many became impossible or at least extremely unlikely. I don't think the support he has now can be compared to the support he had before being revealed as an assist trophy for Ultimate.

There's no doubt becoming an assist trophy really damaged his feasibility in the eyes of many, and there's plenty of people who decide on who to support based on who they think is more likely or still possible. I mean I also do it to some extent with characters I care less about like Fawful or Vivian, I'd love to see them playable but I'm not invested in them enough* to outweigh the overwhelming reality that they're not going to happen.

* and I do really like them, they're easily my favourite Mario characters.
Yeah it's understandable. Isaac is an assist trophy (popular fan rule), his series hasn't seen a new game in a decade, and the first pass was dominated by third parties. And the community tends to talk about what's relevant. I'd be very shocked to see Isaac brought up frequently in current community speculation when the top 10 lists seems to change with the tides lol.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Ok, so from what a I can tell, here are the announcements people expect in the direct in no particular order, as compiled by the internet:

-Mario remasters
-new smash character
-BotW 2 news
-Pokemon info (though not too much, just some updates on announced projects)
-new F-Zero
-new Golden Sun
-maybe Metroid?
-Persona on the switch?

let me know what I've missed to update this.
If you expect even a fraction of that from a single Direct, you're going to leave disappointed.

Mario remasters are the most likely. Maybe a new Smash character, but we just got one announced not too long ago. It feels like yesterday to me. BOTW2 is possible, it seems like it's about time we hear about something again, but I don't know. Nintendo tends to keep Zelda mainline titles in the dark until they're close to release. Pokemon? They have their own presentations, but still could happen. Persona, I really don't know with that one. Atlus is opening up to more releases on the Switch, and Persona 4 Portable recently switched from being a PS Vita exclusive to coming on Steam as well. Hopefully we'll see some real Persona titles like that on the Switch.

The rest are where you really fall into things that are less likely to happen.

There is that FZero Twitter. I don't know what that means. Can there even be any confirmation it is even official? Is there something I'm not getting or is it likely to just be someone messing with FZero fans? Golden Sun? Look, I know it's a sensitive topic to all of us, and a new/remade Golden Sun popping up at any time is honestly far more likely than Isaac making it into SSBU at this point, but note that Isaac's chances of coming to Ultimate are abysmal. Metroid? Metroid Prime 4 got restarted like, what, a year ago? I doubt we'll be hearing about that this year. Another sidescrolling or spinoff is possible, I suppose, but I wouldn't count on it.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
If you expect even a fraction of that from a single Direct, you're going to leave disappointed.

Mario remasters are the most likely. Maybe a new Smash character, but we just got one announced not too long ago. It feels like yesterday to me. BOTW2 is possible, it seems like it's about time we hear about something again, but I don't know. Nintendo tends to keep Zelda mainline titles in the dark until they're close to release. Pokemon? They have their own presentations, but still could happen. Persona, I really don't know with that one. Atlus is opening up to more releases on the Switch, and Persona 4 Portable recently switched from being a PS Vita exclusive to coming on Steam as well. Hopefully we'll see some real Persona titles like that on the Switch.

The rest are where you really fall into things that are less likely to happen.

There is that FZero Twitter. I don't know what that means. Can there even be any confirmation it is even official? Is there something I'm not getting or is it likely to just be someone messing with FZero fans? Golden Sun? Look, I know it's a sensitive topic to all of us, and a new/remade Golden Sun popping up at any time is honestly far more likely than Isaac making it into SSBU at this point, but note that Isaac's chances of coming to Ultimate are abysmal. Metroid? Metroid Prime 4 got restarted like, what, a year ago? I doubt we'll be hearing about that this year. Another sidescrolling or spinoff is possible, I suppose, but I wouldn't count on it.
I'm just repeating what people are saying in the various threads and forums of these internets. I don't expect ALL of what I said to be in this direct, but those are the main candidates of what to expect from what I gather.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Yeah don't expect this direct to have all this madness lol but if it does then dayum…

ZelDan

Smash Master
If we see a new Golden Sun come out while it could be relevant to FP2 = nice chances for Isaac
While there is no new GS game = Not so nice chances.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
If we see a new Golden Sun come out while it could be relevant to FP2 = nice chances for Isaac
While there is no new GS game = Not so nice chances.
I don't think a new Golden Sun is really that relevant to Isaac's Smash chances. I mean, by that logic, Geno shouldn't even be in consideration, and his community is arguably the most confident out of any character right now. If Isaac's in, it's because of the community demand, not due to Nintendo trying to cross-promote or whatever else. (Of course, both could be happening, in which case sharing marketing is plausible, but I sincerely doubt one would be happening because of the other. Just a happy coincidence!)

Top Bottom