• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I mean both of those rumors could be completely unrelated for all we know. The rumor about the cancelled game being revived isn't necessarily meant to be a dormant IP as it's mentioning a specific game, heck it could be just a cancelled Mario, Zelda or Kirby game for all we know. If it's a Golden Sun game it should be a game in development that was cancelled behind the scenes but eh I doubt it. Anyway Golden Sun could still be on it's and I have a good feeling it may be coming in the next few years but I personally feel like these rumors are unrelated.
Hope for anything, expect nothing is my go to motto. It's more likely for hints or rumors like this to not be Golden Sun, but you still can't help to find it interesting anyways. I'm going on the assumption that Nintendo has no idea that there is still fan demand for Golden Sun, if their shock to Isaac's assist status is anything to go by (if they had a Golden Sun game ready to announce, I don't think they'd react like that). Since we just started actively campaigning, I feel I won't really expect any serious Golden Sun announcements till next year. But I welcome any surprise.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Well, back in the days there were rumors about a Camelot game on Gamecube. I'm not sure anyone know if it was true and was cancelled or if it was fake.
Several video game magazines covered it tho.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Well, back in the days there were rumors about a Camelot game on Gamecube. I'm not sure anyone know if it was true and was cancelled or if it was fake.
Several video game magazines covered it tho.
The wiki regarding Dark Dawn's developent mentioned those rumors popping up after some interviews with the brothers first stating that a third game was up in the air and then another year remarking that the first duology was the prologue to the real events yet to come. Though while the GameCube rumors could have likely just been speculation for the expected continuation of an ongoing series on the next major platform, ultimately there was a third game in Dark Dawn. In our current limbo, it seems lucky if we hear any mentions of Golden Sun period, let alone specific rumors of a next installment. Hopefully the letter campaign gets some talks going.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Hmm, now that the topic has arisen I don't actually remember any cancelled games by Nintendo.

Found this list, I'd look into it more myself but I gotta do some other stuff now:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cancelled_games_for_Nintendo_consoles
I don't know why, but two games that jumped out to me on that list were both for Wii: Project H.A.M.M.E.R. and Super Mario Spikers, with me personally leaning towards the latter. Nintendo seems to be more willing to allow that kind of violence, so we may see the return of Mario volleyball/wrestling. The only issue is that Next Level Games is working on Luigi's Mansion 3, if I remember correctly.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't know why, but two games that jumped out to me on that list were both for Wii: Project H.A.M.M.E.R. and Super Mario Spikers, with me personally leaning towards the latter. Nintendo seems to be more willing to allow that kind of violence, so we may see the return of Mario volleyball/wrestling. The only issue is that Next Level Games is working on Luigi's Mansion 3, if I remember correctly.
Correct, and LM3 only has the nebulous date of 2019 at the moment.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Project Hammer would be cool.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
So… any of you guys crossing your fingers that the whole rumor of Nintendo reviving a dead series actually be Golden Sun?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Nevermind apparently the supposed title was "officially" cancelled, meaning it was a cancelled title that people are aware of. Better not get any kind of hopes with this.

hustler713

Smash Apprentice
Probably kind of a bayonetta situation where Nintendo picked up a troubled or cancelled game... Since Nintendo has good relations with both platinum and ms, maybe scalebound? Maybe that okami sequel capcom was interested in? I kinda have a feeling it has something to do with platinum.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
I agree that it is probably not Golden Sun what is being talked about here, I'd go to say it may be a third/second party as some have pointed here like Megaman or Okami or something Platinum Games related, there is also other things if first part like Project Giant Robot, Project Hammer, Mario Spikers or even things further down the line, Metroid Dread, for example. Is very broad of a description tbh

D

Deleted member

Ooooh I didn't know Golden Sun is on the WiiU VC!

I'll be playing that now

D

Deleted member

Apparently, the "dead game" was a cancelled Xbox One title called Scalebound.

D

Deleted member

In GS, I'm leaving Vale, and I love the game so far - the story, battle system, graphics, music, and the characters

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Hey guys I’ve been getting some word of mouth from my classmates at college that we golden sun fans should be gunning for Felix or Matthew as our playable rep in future dlc given Isaacs assist trophy status. They basically said if Isaac got promoted in future dlc, that would open Pandora’s box and all the Waluigi,Ashley, and bomberman fans to name a few would likely not be so happy about us getting that alone. Do you guys think Isaac is more likely to get promoted or that Nintendo will opt for a different golden sun rep? They gotta be aware of our demand now hopefully.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hey guys I’ve been getting some word of mouth from my classmates at college that we golden sun fans should be gunning for Felix or Matthew as our playable rep in future dlc given Isaacs assist trophy status. They basically said if Isaac got promoted in future dlc, that would open Pandora’s box and all the Waluigi,Ashley, and bomberman fans to name a few would likely not be so happy about us getting that alone. Do you guys think Isaac is more likely to get promoted or that Nintendo will opt for a different golden sun rep? They gotta be aware of our demand now hopefully.
I think it’s actuallymore likely that Isaac gets upgraded. It’s he who has all the support, so if we get a Golden Sun character for DLC it will still likely be Isaac.

Smash 6, though, will have Isaac. Mark my words.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
that would open Pandora’s box and all the Waluigi,Ashley, and bomberman fans to name a few would likely not be so happy about us getting that alone
If anything, they should be happy that promoted AT DLC can be a thing. And personally, if such a thing is gonna happen, I believe Waluigi is top priority, followed by Shadow for being easy to make. And then Isaac/Ashley/Bomberman/Lyn/Shovel Knight/Skull Kid/Black Knight in no order.

Last edited:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Honestly, only the Wah-Luigi fanbase was annoying and that isn't really Wah-Luigi's fault but the memes and conspiracy around it. For the most part, it isn't a bad thing if assist trophy has a chance. If Isaac does get it, assist trophy fans will campaign for them and probably not worry about Isaac so much, whether it is in good spirit or in a very annoying fashion is completely up to the supporters.

As for a possible non-Isaac GS rep. It is really up to Nintendo. But if a Golden Sun game is in the works, it could be possible that it influence it. Maybe Camelot is preparing a 4th games, then we might have a Corrin 2.0 in our hands. Alternatively, if Nintendo was planning a remake instead, I'd say Isaac has a good chance. I wouldn't rule out Matthew either, but he is not the most iconic GS character.

D

Deleted member

The "people won't be happy with it" excuse should just be ignored. There are some people unhappy with every scenario.

I think Isaac is more likely to get promoted

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
No moving our focus to Felix or Matthew is not a good idea at all since Isaac is the most widely known character from Golden Sun to the general audience. It's either we get Isaac or they give us the other two as compensation but Isaac is the more likely candidate. Also the Pandora's Box thing is a weak argument. Sakurai probably doesn't take that into account seeing how Little Mac was the only assist promotion in 4 and that Isabelle and Dark Samus whom are heavily based from veteran fighters were the only ones added in while highly requested characters are still assists. And those fans will be still kinda happy that he kills the assists/spirits can't get promoted argument

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
The thing about Isaac's situation compared to assists like Waluigi and Lyn is that he won't just be another rep joining a roster that already has playable characters. The Golden Sun series has yet to get their foot in the door with a playable rep, yet if Nintendo took the most recognizable and requested candidate from the series and automatically put him in the assist role without a second thought. It's hard to see them making anyone else from the series playable in Isaac's stead. It's best to keep pushing his popularity to the point it can't be ignored.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
There is 0% chance anyone other than Isaac will get into Smash first. Switching focus won't help any GS character get selected.

Last edited:

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
They basically said if Isaac got promoted in future dlc, that would open Pandora’s box and all the Waluigi,Ashley, and bomberman fans to name a few would likely not be so happy about us getting that alone
Ehh, I’ve got to agree with everyone here, I never cared for this train of thought. It doesn’t really matter which Assist Trophy gets in first, Pandora’s Box being opened is a net positive for fans of all of them. “Assist Trophy hard deconfim” statements vanish overnight and never return for this or any future DLC, hope is revived, and support threads are revitalized. I’m a fan of all of the characters you listed, but I’d consider even Dr. Kawashima getting upgraded instead of Isaac a small victory. A little confused and disappointed, yeah, but no more so than I am that someone like Piranha Plant got in instead of Isaac, and in this case at least very appreciative that the AT stigma is gone. There’s not much more reason to get more offended over a particular assist trophy getting DLC treatment instead another than there is to get offended that some character was made playable in the base game instead of your favorite.

Last edited:

Tetiro

Smash Ace
The thing about Isaac's situation compared to assists like Waluigi and Lyn is that he won't just be another rep joining a roster that already has playable characters. The Golden Sun series has yet to get their foot in the door with a playable rep, yet if Nintendo took the most recognizable and requested candidate from the series and automatically put him in the assist role without a second thought. It's hard to see them making anyone else from the series playable in Isaac's stead. It's best to keep pushing his popularity to the point it can't be ignored.
I have to agree with Tempest here. If Isaac took so much effort to get to "somewhat-playable", Matthew and Felix are lost causes. We must push hard for Isaac and stick to our guns. That is what will get Golden Sun in Smash. But most importantly, we must keep campaigning for Golden Sun's revival

Also, less than 2 months until Golden Sunday for Lost Age! What does everyone have planned for it?

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Hoo boy I sure am glad that you guys all chimed in for my statement earlier. I’ll be sure to let the other guys know that we are going to keep supporting Isaac alone and that assist trophy won’t stop him from making the jump. However given polar pandas and possibly other insiders, gotta really hope for a 2nd wave of dlc given that at promotions were not planned for wave 1 of dlc. Given that, Do you guys think wave 1 might still have a chance if say we see golden sun announced at E3 this year?

Last edited:

Tetiro

Smash Ace
You know I was thinking about it and I genuinely believe they just ran out of time making the game. If you think about the amount of fan service Golden Sun, Shantae, King K Rool etc got in the game, you can clear as day tell Sakurai squeezed as much of the ballot into the game as possible.

I think Polar Panda was SOMEWHAT right. I think he was right that Isaac wasn't in the final contestants. Mainly because the number of unique playable fighters is literally Inkling, King K Rool, Ridley, Isabelle, Simon and Incineroar, there were some serious cuts made.

But I think he was wrong about Isaac. And the reason is if Sakurai and the team GENUINELY and literally had no idea that Golden Sun was this popular, there is no way the amount of Golden Sun content would have got an upgrade. If anything, it would have gone completely.

We know King K Rool, Ridley and Simon were ballot picks. And that Isabelle, Inkling and Incineroar were sure-fires (ballot or not). So I'd really believe that Sakurai had to make some tough calls that day.

After all, Bandana Dee, Waluigi and many other high contenders did not make the cut that day. Yet almost every one got some form of runner up prize

Waluigi Cap
Ashley costume
Isaac costume
Shantae Spirit
Geno Spirit
Chibi Robo costume
Rex costume
the list goes on and on.

We all (not just Isaac) got the shaft that day. And that's fine. As we weren't singled out. We all went down together.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I think people are getting the “Nintendo was shocked by fans being angry at Isaac’s AT” the wrong way.

I see a lot of people here say that it’s because Isaac wasn’t on Nintendo’s radar and they didn’t know how popular he was. You may be right that they could’ve underestimated his popularity, but if they really didn’t know how popular he was, then why did GS get the abundant amount of content it has gotten? You need to realize that we went from having literally nothing in Smash 4 except for like 1 ripped music track, to having everything but a character, stage, and new music in Ultimate. I think Sakurai and his team and Nintendo know that Isaac is a popular choice among Smash fans and has a large GS fanbase. Isaac probably did well on the ballot to justify it.

However, what I think is happening instead is that Nintendo is now realizing what being an AT or new costume can mean to a lot fans. For Nintendo and Sakurai, AT’s are meant to be compensation, the next best thing to being a fighter that fans would appreciate. Hell, a lot can move, do multiple attacks, get grabbed, launched, be hit, so they really went out of their way to make them feel more special. But to a lot of fans when they see a new AT being shown off for the first times, one of the many things that first come to mind are, “they’re not going to be playable”, “they’re deconfirmed”, “it’s over”, “why is X not playable?”. A lot of people are fine that their character got to actually be in the game at least, but a lot of fans also feel that that’s it, there’s no other choice but to wait for the next game to even have a chance, and thus being an AT is treated like a death sentence. I think that’s what Nintendo started seeing that’s how some fans see AT’s as.

And as for what Polar Panda said, I don’t see it as the sole reason for why Isaac isn’t in, but one of couple others that ended making him lower priority. There wasn’t a lot of man power or time for newcomers this time, seeing how we only got 4 new stages and 6 brand new characters, and Isaac not only would he need to be a unqiue addition, but also would’ve had to bring a stage and new music since he is from a new series. Isaac would’ve ate up a lot of time, and with GS’s dormant status, it was another reason to not include him.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, NoA might’ve been shocked to learn of Isaac’s popularity, but Sakurai couldn’t have been. It’s probably because Sakurai saw the ballot results while not all, if any, of them did.

He wouldn’t have reinstated the AT with expanded utility and given GS all that other content so far away from the last release were it not owing to popularity.

D

Deleted member

So, in Smash 4, GS did get represented, but not nearly as much as it did in Ultimate.

And we still got GS and GS:LA on the WiiU VC.

With how much more GS is represented in this game than 4, it makes me think we won't just get straight ports of the GS games, so I do think a remake is likely.

I would love one too because GS is so ****ing fun lmao

ZelDan

Smash Master
To me, the most ideal way to bring back the first couple games would be through an HD remaster, that combines the two games into one, adds some QoL stuff like skippable cutscenes, and maybe adds a bit more content (side and/or story content).

Wouldn't be against a remake, or even straight up ports (though this would be the least ideal to me, since I've already played the original 2 games countless times already and, you know, I did buy the first 2 games again on the Wii U VC on Golden Sunday >_>)

D

Deleted member

Alright. I signed the "State of the Switch" survey, and I made sure to make it clear that a remake of the Mother series trilogy, a remake of Super Mario RPG, and a remake of the Golden Sun trilogy would be greatly appreciated by many (myself included).

Top Bottom