• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think the detractors will make up any arguments of why won't they make it regardless if they make sense or not. For example Lloyd was a mii costume, and I'm pretty sure he's popular. My guess is that he's the Cloud of the Tales of series. But his haters would say "He wields two swords! That's double the worse!" or "He's not from the first game!"
Let people expose their terrible arguments for what they truly are. Bring the truth to light. I'd rather find out if someone is just a dumbass saying "duhh anime sword bad" than have to deal with "well we don't know if he's actually popular".
Speaking of Tales, who do you want to see as a Tales fighter? I like Lloyd and I would be happy about him getting in, but I slightly prefer Yuri just because of Dragon Swarm. My god that looks awesome.
Lloyd because I've only ever played Symphonia and he's super cool.

I'm a simple man.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
while seeing the ballot results would be nice, I totally see why they'd hide them because then it'd be so hard to make excuses whenever they don't pick the top ballot characters

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
while seeing the ballot results would be nice, I totally see why they'd hide them because then it'd be so hard to make excuses whenever they don't pick the top ballot characters
Personally, I think the results are pretty clear without needing to see them.

All cut veterans playable returned
Inkling playable
King K. Rool playable
Ridley playable
Simon playable
Banjo & Kazooie playable
Isaac AT returned, more spirits than any other non-playable series
Shovel Knight AT
Krystal AT
Bomberman AT
Geno spirit
Rayman spirit
Shantae spirits

Makes this look fairly accurate. I don't know that there's a ton of reason for a lot of these to appear otherwise as most aren't necessarily the most relevant to Nintendo or current games. It's content the fans asked for.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think most importantly the reason Nintendo will never reveal the Ballot results because there would be a gigantic flame war between the fanbases on why said character was ranked higher than this character and how it's completely inaccurate and rigged regardless of it being Nintendo themselves showing this.

Inkling playable
King K. Rool playable
Ridley playable
Simon playable
Banjo & Kazooie playable
Shovel Knight AT
Krystal AT
Bomberman AT
Geno spirit
Rayman spirit
Shantae spirits

Makes this look fairly accurate. I don't know that there's a ton of reason for a lot of these to appear otherwise as most aren't necessarily the most relevant to Nintendo or current games. It's content the fans asked for.
Not only were all of those characters highly requested characters, but characters people have been requesting since the Melee and Brawl days. Literally 20 to 15 years of fan outcry on these characters' backs.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Exactly. The stuff in the game seems to confirm the validity of the fan polls, while simultaneously showing that Nintendo didn't exclusively use the ballot for newcomers. They quite obviously used the Ballot results, but not entirely. I don't consider Simon, for example, a "ballot character" at all. I mean on that massive poll you linked he had less votes than Custom Robo, which didn't even get its AT back. There were obviously other crucial factors that made Sakurai pick him over several other characters who almost certainly got more votes than him. And based on the information we have, it doesn't seem like it was a matter of choosing between characters with a similar number of votes; plenty of characters, Isaac among them, have consistently demonstrated themselves to be significantly more popular than Simon in terms of Smash requests to the point where it's difficult to imagine Simon beating more than one or two of them on the real ballot. Simon was barely on the map (relatively speaking) before being leaked. Obviously the ballot never came with any guarantees that they'd pick the top characters at all; I'm not delusional. Doing well in terms of votes was never meant to be an auto-inclusion. But just because a character had a modest performance on the ballot doesn't mean that said character being on the roster is evidence of the ballot being used in a meaningful way. The ballot in such cases as Simon and others (to varying degrees) was most likely a minor contributor to their selection.

But anyway (that was a long tangent), when I say "it would be nice" to see Ballot results I mostly mean that it would be nice to get that final/official confirmation of the results we already suspect. And of course, the polls aren't going to exactly match the real results so it would be interesting to see just how far off they were. But business-wise it definitely makes sense for Nintendo not to reveal them.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Besides that, Richter and Isabelle have obvious ballot influence as well. Especially the former since he got in for the same reason Simon did. Latter is not exactly rocket science. She's hyper popular. Why wouldn't she get massive votes on the ballot?

The rest are pretty much hitting it right home.

Having support doesn't mean Sakurai sees it. What matters is he's able to see it in the right places. There were things like polls too, sure. But Geno getting even more content overall is still something that doesn't come out of nowhere. Among others. Golden Sun getting a crapload of content compared to Brawl matters a lot as well. He didn't just magically know to do so. The only sucky thing is we didn't get Isaac playable to boot. But even then, the amount of content jumped up quite massively. That's nothing to scoff at.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Familiar as in recognizing the usual voice actors. They got many people from the show/movie industry this time.
I wonder if that's just something Square prefers. They never pool from the usual VAs people know from anime, it's onscreen actors. Even with the old VAs Steve Burton is a popular character on General Hospital that he's been playing since the 90's also stars on The Young and Restless. Aerith's old VA is Mandy Moore, Rapunzel from Tangled and played Jamie in A Walk To Remember. It does feel like they wanted a fresh take for Remake while still going mainly for actors.

Eh, I'm all for the transparency. If a character did better than another on the ballot, and they still chose not to include them, I think the least the fans of said character deserve is an explanation.

It's not like it would make arguments any worse, honestly it would make them better if anything. Right now, a fanbase of a popular character can't argue their popularity because fanpolls and the like are discarded. Give us the results of the official poll, and let's see what the real counterarguments are.
My brother and I used to joke about Shrek and Goku being number 1 since it seemed like whatever the US voted as first was unrealizable compared to Bayo who was claimed as Europe's first pick. Though we know now that King K. Rool won but was decided to wait till Ultimate.

I do agree releasing the results would be a bit of a mess and make speculation even worst. I feel like people would latch on to characters less because they like them and more because they were high on the ballot and feel they are more likely.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Speaking of Tales, who do you want to see as a Tales fighter? I like Lloyd and I would be happy about him getting in, but I slightly prefer Yuri just because of Dragon Swarm. My god that looks awesome.
I would say Lloyd because it's the one i grew up with with Symphonia on the gamecube, but I'm ok with whoever as long as we get someone from Tales Of in general and it's interesting and fun to play with, lol.

Inkling playable
King K. Rool playable
Ridley playable
Simon playable
Banjo & Kazooie playable
Shovel Knight AT
Krystal AT
Bomberman AT
Geno spirit
Rayman spirit
Shantae spirits

YES that list is probably the most accurate list to date, and it does help that almost every single other poll around the ballot time had similar results every single time: K rool, Ridley, Banjo, Isaac, Veterans, Shovel Knight, Geno, etc. Those are always on the polls around that date, so we really don't need to see official results to know what was obviously trending. I think we made ourselves the loudest at the perfect time if we were literally sniffing K Rool's crack on every single poll list lol, that's how high Isaac was on demand. Most likely why we are also getting a new game or an HD port or whatever soon as well. Isaac is honestly the only one so super high on results that we still need ot have as playable.

But yeah like i said before, it's not just demand, it's also what Nintendo's priorities to shill are at the time, so we will continue to get a mix of both things as dlc continues

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Richter and Isabelle have obvious ballot influence as well
meh, Isabelle got in more for popularity among general Nintendo fans rather than for Smash popularity specifically, along with her being a relevant and important character within the incredibly popular AC franchise, which many people thought had the merits for more than one rep. She could've gotten in with next to no votes on the ballot.
But she is popular so ok maybe this argument isn't worth having.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
meh, Isabelle got in more for popularity among general Nintendo fans rather than for Smash popularity specifically, along with her being a relevant and important character within the incredibly popular AC franchise, which many people thought had the merits for more than one rep. She could've gotten in with next to no votes on the ballot.
Not seeing how the Smash Ballot didn't matter anyway.

Either way, Richter absolutely got in due to the ballot.

What made it clear to me at this point was the fact he skipped over the mascot of AC beforehand anyway for someone else. It didn't matter how big Tom Nook was(which is just as big as Isabelle was, and she literally got pushed to the side for Nook now... which kind of sucks, mind you) either. I don't believe for one second she would've gotten in without the Smash Ballot pushing her further. Villager would've been top priority over the mascot as is, since he clearly wanted the outright protagonist to represent the core gameplay. Isabelle's actually lucky too, since she had no feasible moveset at that point if it weren't for being a semi-clone. She could've gotten in potentially as far more unique, but not to "represent the AC gameplay" either. That's not who she is. She also wasn't chosen to promote any games either. She was revealed to help promote a game, which is hilarious, since she's got such a tiny role in New Horizons where Tom Nook completely took over the spotlight.

That said, it's not an argument worth having, agreed. It's off-topic anyway. It's only fair I explain my points anyway.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If there was such a thing as a popular promotional pick, Isabelle would describe it.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Either way, Richter absolutely got in due to the ballot.
Could you explain why you think this? Because Sakurai even said the reason Richter was here was because he used a lot of the moves from Richter to help make Simon's moveset so he decided to make him an echo fighter.
In fact in his famitsu article talking about that direct he said this about Richter:
"I’d imagine there were a lot of people that went, “huh!? Who’s Richter!?” too. I’d be happy if those people could become more familiar with the character through Smash Bros. Ultimate"
Which would imply that he wasn't popular which would mean not because of ballot.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Could you explain why you think this? Because Sakurai even said the reason Richter was here was because he used a lot of the moves from Richter to help make Simon's moveset so he decided to make him an echo fighter.
In fact in his famitsu article talking about that direct he said this about Richter:
"I’d imagine there were a lot of people that went, “huh!? Who’s Richter!?” too. I’d be happy if those people could become more familiar with the character through Smash Bros. Ultimate"
Which would imply that he wasn't popular which would mean not because of ballot.
Because Sakurai literally went for both Belmonts over Alucard for both the East and the West specifically. To give them both some love. Simon didn't get in just because he's the protagonist either, after all. That's honestly a bit more of a coincidence.

When he talked about why Alucard was considered, but discarded, in favor of the Belmonts in general. The echo thing is also another reason both are in. It's a two-fold thing.

https://twitter.com/allsourcegaming/status/1074584068291944448?lang=en It's two tweets at once. Page already has a lot of embeds in general, so just going to link. When it says "in favor of the Belmonts", it's pretty clear he meant both. But yes, he has spoken on how both were chosen at once while discarding Alucard.

I'm trying to find a better source than Push's own translation, which just said that "The Belmont boys, King K. Rool, and Ridley were all added due to the Smash Ballot." Not exactly the best of sources. https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1087124989239734272 I mean, that doesn't make it wrong, but that's all we got to go on. All the news sites pretty much say the same general thing when it reports on it. So that's why I think it.

If there was such a thing as a popular promotional pick, Isabelle would describe it.
She's not a promotional pick whatsoever. She's not literally in the game to promote New Horizons. She's got a lot of popularity on her side, and existing in New Horizons makes her relevant(but she was already relevant thanks to New Leaf's amiibo update by all means) as well. Iconic and being a mascot also help. Then you see tons of people over the ballot wanting her playable coupled with an easy ability to use Villager to make her, and she was a pretty easy addition in the end. You're making the error in assuming that just cause her trailer was used to help sell New Horizons is the same thing as being added to the game itself to promote it. There's really zero reason to believe that and there's tons of factors she had that had zip to do with requiring a new game to exist. It's arguable how much the ballot influenced her inclusion. But a new game wouldn't have made a remote difference here. Villager existing first as is played more of a role, hell, Amiibo Festival actually was used for her moveset's creation, so it clearly played more of a role too.

It's very easy to make a trailer and have it ready to help promote something. Piranha Plant did the same thing, by helping promote buying Ultimate early to get it free. But it wasn't added to actually promote Smash Ultimate. It was added at least by a year earlier as part of DLC because it was a unique non-protagonist in general, something a bit different. It and Isabelle follow a similar idea of how they're able to be added. Being iconic is also part of why PP got in, too, heh.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Being iconic is also part of why PP got in, too, heh.
Well, I wouldn't call the plant an icon. Recognizable, sure. But not an icon.

--

As for Richter, the primary reason he's in is because he was an easy Echo. Maybe looking at the ballot helped Sakurai realize that he could please a number of people by adding him, but said ballot influence would have been insignificant if he couldn't have been an Echo. And besides, I think it's highly improbable that Richter's ballot presence was anywhere near the likes of other Echo-able characters like Dark Samus, Chrom, or Shadow (unless perhaps he was strictly looking at Japanese votes but even then I'm not so sure).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, I wouldn't call the plant an icon. Recognizable, sure. But not an icon.
Which is literally what Sakurai said. so it doesn't matter what our opinions are on that. He's not wrong. Since iconicness is literally based upon recognizability. PP is known to all. That makes it an icon in the end.
--

As for Richter, the primary reason he's in is because he was an easy Echo. Maybe looking at the ballot helped Sakurai realize that he could please a number of people by adding him, but said ballot influence would have been insignificant if he couldn't have been an Echo. And besides, I think it's highly improbable that Richter's ballot presence was anywhere near the likes of other Echo-able characters like Dark Samus, Chrom, or Shadow (unless perhaps he was strictly looking at Japanese votes but even then I'm not so sure).
I'd say the primary reason is for the "looking at both sides of the seas to please everyone." The echo part is more of a good way to make both easier. Simon basically has a moveset because Richter existed, and vice versa. This isn't much different from Zelda/Sheik who both required each other to get in, since they were tied at the time via a unique moveset mechanic. That was Sakurai's core idea for the princess and the ninja. The fact they got split was a 3DS factor, though it did help with balance. It also helped Zelda was awful on her own, and he was well aware people played them separately too. Pokemon Trainer was done differently, forcing them as a team, so you couldn't play one over the other(and thus, was handled better overall. It still had issues, but they got the point across by actually forcing switching).

You're making a huge error in why Richter got in; he wouldn't have been chosen if Castlevania had little votes. It was the franchise as a whole that was massively popular. Richter had to be the first of the core Belmonts from the beginning to get in. Being a Japanese icon was of the utmost importance, just like Simon is the US icon. It went both ways. They were both chosen over Alucard specifically, not just one. Being an Echo is the icing on the cake and wouldn't have mattered if Sakurai didn't want to appeal to both sides of the ocean. It's the secondary concern in the end. Or to put it simply; it was Alucard or both Belmonts. Not Alucard or Simon. The extra factor was how to implement them. But since they were both added together, that would also mean that Simon's primary concern was using Richter's moveset as well, not because he appeals to the US and is chosen(with Richter) over Alucard. So either the ballot was the core reason for both, or neither. They're that tied to the hip.

Chrom, Dark Samus, and Daisy were directly voted for, but the Echo part was key. They were not really plausible without it. Hence, entirely different situation from the other Echoes. Richter is the only real stand-out Echo by being just as important as his counterpart. Ken is harder to say on the exact points. How much did the ballot influence his addition? A lot? Was it solely cause he's "the" clone? It could be both.

Though I get the ballot relates to the topic loosely, this is a pretty clear off-topic thing now. Yes, it's pretty blatantly obvious the ballot influenced tons of characters. This includes how Golden Sun got so much extra content. This affected Castelvania as a whole. It arguably helped Isabelle along with many other factors. King K. Rool and Ridley absolutely got in due to the ballot(directly said by Sakurai, along with specifically Simon and Richter's additions). Dark Samus and Chrom were outright implied due to "highly voted" without literally being said. The chances of him not meaning the ballot are small in this case. Banjo-Kazooie was probably the case too(he didn't exactly say that either, but I might've missed that one).

In the end, it's highly influential, for a good chunk of 1st and 3rd parties. If you were to include Ken as well being possibly influenced by the ballot, that means all the Echoes introduced in Ultimate had ballot reasons to be in. Which is... actually highly believable. The only one that's arguable at best is Ken due to having far more reasons than that. That, and the idea of Echoes wasn't really introduced till later, so he had less reasons to be voted on, since that was the core reason people thought he'd be in as well as wanted him in. They knew he was the perfect spot for it. Of course, I'm sure he had some votes too, but not as high as someone like Ridley either. It's also a matter of timing. The Ken "we want him" phase came in during Echos' announcement, not beforehand. Way after the ballot. It doesn't mean he had no popularity, but that's when it outright exploded. It also helps that Verge leaked a lot of information, adding to it more. I think he leaked Ken a bit later, but I forget the events.

...Ironically Verge's leaks were bad for Golden Sun(but to be fair, we jumped the gun on the "leaf" item too. The mural fake and the Rathalos picture were a different situation too. Rathalos looked like a clear reference to the game style, and the mural fake fooled a lot of people anyway. That, and Box Theory VS Mural didn't help at all).

The good news now is that Spring Man was at least shown to be considered via the picture of "who it could be". So AT's are on the table, regardless if Spring Man gets in or not. They literally advertised Spring Man as possible, a key thing.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I'd say the primary reason is for the "looking at both sides of the seas to please everyone." The echo part is more of a good way to make both easier. Simon basically has a moveset because Richter existed, and vice versa.
I really doubt they'd add two unique Castlevania characters at once just for the sake of pleasing "both sides" as you say. If there was no suitable Echo than it would have been just Simon.

You're making a huge error in why Richter got in; he wouldn't have been chosen if Castlevania had little votes. It was the franchise as a whole that was massively popular. Richter had to be the first of the core Belmonts from the beginning to get in. Being a Japanese icon was of the utmost importance, just like Simon is the US icon. It went both ways. They were both chosen over Alucard specifically, not just one. Being an Echo is the icing on the cake and wouldn't have mattered if Sakurai didn't want to appeal to both sides of the ocean. It's the secondary concern in the end. Or to put it simply; it was Alucard or both Belmonts. Not Alucard or Simon. The extra factor was how to implement them. But since they were both added together, that would also mean that Simon's primary concern was using Richter's moveset as well, not because he appeals to the US and is chosen(with Richter) over Alucard. So either the ballot was the core reason for both, or neither. They're that tied to the hip.
I really doubt that they're as tied together as you say. Based on the information we have, Simon was far and away the most popular choice for Castlevania and he was gonna be the rep pretty much no matter what happened with Richter, especially if they actually were looking at the ballot at all. Richter was just a bonus that happened to work out well in terms of pleasing Japan. Sometimes there's a happy circumstance and you don't have to make a hard decision. Cool. But in the absence of this they haven't been averse to picking characters who appeal to one region. There's no reason to think that Simon couldn't have stood out on his own.
But regardless of what you think on that, I don't really care that much about Richter. I said Simon but really my earlier point was that Castlevania in general wasn't primarily added due to the ballot. I don't care that much which Castlevania character got picked; this is more about Castlevania as a whole being picked over other franchises. It had ballot support, yes, but it couldn't have been primarily the ballot that got it in the game because (again, based on the information we have) it didn't even do all that well on the ballot, even when comparisons are made strictly with respect to third parties. Data from polls along with other admittedly anecdotal pieces of evidence show that Castlevania had moderate demand at best before being leaked/revealed and the hysteria/hype of a falsely assumed "all-fan-favorite" roster caused some revisionist thinking on this end.

--

But anyway, getting slightly more on-topic, the only cases I can think of where, ignoring the ballot, the inclusion didn't make much sense from Nintendo's point of view were K. Rool and Banjo. All the others had at least a reasonable chance of making it without the ballot ever happening. Even Ridley made a ton of sense without his popularity; he would have been added long ago if Sakurai didn't have trouble envisioning a proper moveset for him (maybe the ballot gave him an extra nudge towards making Ridley work, but okay whatever). Out of all the other characters who you could reasonably say did absolutely amazingly on the ballot worldwide, Isaac (at least in my opinion) is at the top of the stack. If K. Rool and Banjo were No. 1 and No. 2 (seems plausible to me), Isaac could be next at No. 3, in which case it might be only a matter of time, if you're willing to think this optimistically. Of course, the top vote-getters were never guaranteed spots, but it certainly is helpful to be in that upper echelon of characters rather than even just a few spots down, where the ranks get much more convoluted.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I really doubt they'd add two unique Castlevania characters at once just for the sake of pleasing "both sides" as you say. If there was no suitable Echo than it would have been just Simon.
I don't. That's why Lucas didn't replace Ness in Brawl either. To appeal to both sides.

I really doubt that they're as tied together as you say. Based on the information we have, Simon was far and away the most popular choice for Castlevania and he was gonna be the rep pretty much no matter what happened with Richter, especially if they actually were looking at the ballot at all. Richter was just a bonus that happened to work out well in terms of pleasing Japan. Sometimes there's a happy circumstance and you don't have to make a hard decision. Cool. But in the absence of this they haven't been averse to picking characters who appeal to one region. There's no reason to think that Simon couldn't have stood out on his own.
Fan polls are not the ballot. I'm not going to treat that as good information. That doesn't mean anything in the end when we have a more clear statement via a translation. "Both were chosen via the ballot." That sounds pretty clear to me if not obvious. Of course they could have been chosen without the ballot, and if that were the case, Richter getting in for echo status specifically would make sense. But that's not really accurate. Ballot was the deciding factor in the end.

But regardless of what you think on that, I don't really care that much about Richter. I said Simon but really my earlier point was that Castlevania in general wasn't primarily added due to the ballot. I don't care that much which Castlevania character got picked; this is more about Castlevania as a whole being picked over other franchises. It had ballot support, yes, but it couldn't have been primarily the ballot that got it in the game because (again, based on the information we have) it didn't even do all that well on the ballot, even when comparisons are made strictly with respect to third parties. Data from polls along with other admittedly anecdotal pieces of evidence show that Castlevania had moderate demand at best before being leaked/revealed and the hysteria/hype of a falsely assumed "all-fan-favorite" roster caused some revisionist thinking on this end.
Really, everything about Castlevania is literally said to be related to the ballot. It's pretty hard to believe any other reason. "Castlevania was highly voted on" is pretty clear. Though I can agree that a lot of the content in general could be related to being a massively influential franchise, along with Sakurai liking it. However, he's pretty clear that Alucard, Simon, and Richter were straight-out ballot-related. Alucard would've been playable if he didn't want Simon and Richter as is, which makes it clear which ones are specifically ballot-related.

Also, to be more clear on this; people saying who they voted for the in the ballot cannot cover the whole world. Only bits and pieces. It's not a great source of information either because it gives you only a slight idea.

But anyway, getting slightly more on-topic, the only cases I can think of where, ignoring the ballot, the inclusion didn't make much sense from Nintendo's point of view were K. Rool and Banjo. All the others had at least a reasonable chance of making it without the ballot ever happening. Even Ridley made a ton of sense without his popularity; he would have been added long ago if Sakurai didn't have trouble envisioning a proper moveset for him (maybe the ballot gave him an extra nudge towards making Ridley work, but okay whatever). Out of all the other characters who you could reasonably say did absolutely amazingly on the ballot worldwide, Isaac (at least in my opinion) is at the top of the stack. If K. Rool and Banjo were No. 1 and No. 2 (seems plausible to me), Isaac could be next at No. 3, in which case it might be only a matter of time, if you're willing to think this optimistically. Of course, the top vote-getters were never guaranteed spots, but it certainly is helpful to be in that upper echelon of characters rather than even just a few spots down, where the ranks get much more convoluted.
Do you mean long ago as in Smash 4 for Ridley? Cause that's the only time he was considered. If so, fair(also, Sakurai does talk about moveset stuff and why he's a stage hazard). If you mean long ago like Brawl, that's never been a thing. He was asked after Brawl was released if he thought about putting him in Smash and he gave a pretty clear no. Along with joking about his size and balance(which actually turned out to be his later thoughts down the line).

I dunno if Isaac would've been higher than Geno at this point, though. Geno's specifically told to us that Sakurai actually wanted him to be playable. Isaac was never knowingly considered either, so I wouldn't put him on the same level as Ridley at least. K. Rool, maybe. Putting him at "number 3" is a bit misleading. I mean, fan requests, yes. But on Sakurai's list? No.

I agree Isaac would've been acknowledged at some point by Sakurai, though, just barely. Online fan polls are not as influential as people think they are. They only tell a tale so much and Sakurai mostly uses his own polls. It also is worth noting he's never cited a poll that wasn't Japanese outside of the ballot.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Exactly. The stuff in the game seems to confirm the validity of the fan polls, while simultaneously showing that Nintendo didn't exclusively use the ballot for newcomers. They quite obviously used the Ballot results, but not entirely. I don't consider Simon, for example, a "ballot character" at all. I mean on that massive poll you linked he had less votes than Custom Robo, which didn't even get its AT back. There were obviously other crucial factors that made Sakurai pick him over several other characters who almost certainly got more votes than him. And based on the information we have, it doesn't seem like it was a matter of choosing between characters with a similar number of votes; plenty of characters, Isaac among them, have consistently demonstrated themselves to be significantly more popular than Simon in terms of Smash requests to the point where it's difficult to imagine Simon beating more than one or two of them on the real ballot. Simon was barely on the map (relatively speaking) before being leaked. Obviously the ballot never came with any guarantees that they'd pick the top characters at all; I'm not delusional. Doing well in terms of votes was never meant to be an auto-inclusion. But just because a character had a modest performance on the ballot doesn't mean that said character being on the roster is evidence of the ballot being used in a meaningful way. The ballot in such cases as Simon and others (to varying degrees) was most likely a minor contributor to their selection.

But anyway (that was a long tangent), when I say "it would be nice" to see Ballot results I mostly mean that it would be nice to get that final/official confirmation of the results we already suspect. And of course, the polls aren't going to exactly match the real results so it would be interesting to see just how far off they were. But business-wise it definitely makes sense for Nintendo not to reveal them.
Someone pointed it out above, but there's a direct quote from Sakurai where he says Castlevania as a series was a popular request. I'm sure Simon was the most popular request, but by a somewhat slim margin, with Alucard trailing behind him. He's also been a fairly common request among older fans who played the original games. Castlevania was pretty commonly associated with Nintendo back in the day (see: Captain N).

I'd be willing to bet that Dragon Quest was fairly similar. The exit polls I linked didn't have much info for Japanese voters, but we know that DQ is significantly more popular over there and discussions for adding Hero started during the base game. I'm sure Sakurai wanted to put Erdrick in Smash Ultimate's original roster.

You have a point though, and I think it boils down to Sakurai's personal selections over simply grabbing the top most requested. After all, Dixie Kong was fairly high on those polls and is an excellent echo candidate, but it was decided to add Chrom.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'd be willing to bet that Dragon Quest was fairly similar. The exit polls I linked didn't have much info for Japanese voters, but we know that DQ is significantly more popular over there and discussions for adding Hero started during the base game. I'm sure Sakurai wanted to put Erdrick in Smash Ultimate's original roster.
Actually, Sakurai tried to get Erdrick and Luminary in the base roster. Didn't work out(he did mention both of these, not just Erdrick).

You have a point though, and I think it boils down to Sakurai's personal selections over simply grabbing the top most requested. After all, Dixie Kong was fairly high on those polls and is an excellent echo candidate, but it was decided to add Chrom.
She has yet to be in even after Brawl, so it might not be an Echo factor either. He tried to make her a partner character. He may be sticking to that, which isn't illogical. He doesn't often change his ideal plan for a character(if he got beyond the consideration stage. Villager never got any work done on them, so there was nothing to go off of. Just reasons they didn't work at the time, but now something came up. So they're not a similar case). And he can make the partner mechanic work now. It was just Brawl and 4 where they're impossible(it failed in Brawl, and 4 had 3DS issues). Ultimate also had King K. Rool very likely as higher priority, and if he's sticking with the partner idea, that means outright he has to spend a lot of time on making that work. King K. Rool is one character and requires a lot less resources and time in comparison.

I doubt it was "Chrom was higher priority", to be honest. It was probably just K. Rool hat was higher priority. Worth noting I don't mind her as a partner, stand alone, semi-clone or an Echo.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
why Lucas didn't replace Ness in Brawl either
I mean Lucas was a semiclone so not a full unique and maybe not the best example. Two fully unique Castlevania characters would have definitely been overdoing it in a lot of people's eyes.

"Both were chosen via the ballot." That sounds pretty clear to me if not obvious. Of course they could have been chosen without the ballot, and if that were the case, Richter getting in for echo status specifically would make sense. But that's not really accurate. Ballot was the deciding factor in the end.
They can cite the ballot as a reason all they want, and I'm not saying it had no influence, but I don't see how you can justify Castlevania over other franchises/characters based on the ballot alone. There had to be other major factors that helped it other than that, to the point where, in the end, the ballot barely mattered anyway.

I probably can't convince you on the validity of fan polls, which of course should not be taken as absolute representations of the real results, but as others in this thread have noted the stuff in the game seems to confirm their validity, at least to a somewhat reasonable extent.

Do you mean long ago as in Smash 4 for Ridley? Cause that's the only time he was considered.
Sure, Smash 4. That phrase was fairly vague. But whether it was Brawl or Smash 4 it doesn't really change what I was saying.

I dunno if Isaac would've been higher than Geno at this point, though. Geno's specifically told to us that Sakurai actually wanted him to be playable. Isaac was never knowingly considered either, so I wouldn't put him on the same level as Ridley at least. K. Rool, maybe. Putting him at "number 3" is a bit misleading. I mean, fan requests, yes. But on Sakurai's list? No.
I meant No. 3 in votes which is certainly not a certainty but from all that I've seen it seems reasonable that he'd be right there if not close to it. I did say "if you're willing to think optimistically."
Also, from what I have personally perceived, Geno almost certainly did worse than Isaac on the ballot worldwide, but I don't really care to argue about this. Geno's popular okay fine.

Someone pointed it out above, but there's a direct quote from Sakurai where he says Castlevania as a series was a popular request.
I was aware of these statements even before this conversation started. I still don't think the ballot was the primary reason for Castlevania's inclusion, though I acknowledge (in part due to Sakurai's statements) that it had at least a modest ballot performance with some impact on the roster decisions.

He tried to make her a partner character. He may be sticking to that,
Ugh I really don't like the partner mechanic idea. I doubt that he'd still be sticking to that, especially since Diddy has been in the game since Brawl now and is unlikely to undergo such a major change. I don't think he'd exclude Dixie altogether at this point just because of that but you're right that he could still be committed to it.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Long quote
That reads like Castlevania as a series did well meaning it was most likely characters like Simon, Alucard, Trevor, Soma, and possibly Dracula himself who did well. Probably Alucard did the best but as he said fans expected a Belmont. So yes in the sense that Castlevania at all is here due to the ballot that is why Richter is here but it's really the reason he was included with Simon instead of just Simon is as Sakurai said the moveset.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean Lucas was a semiclone so not a full unique and maybe not the best example. Two fully unique Castlevania characters would have definitely been overdoing it in a lot of people's eyes.
That wasn't the point. He was directly kept in because it was an overseas thing that people wouldn't know of. People don't know Richter overseas. Simon's nowhere near that popular in the East compared to Richter. Richter literally is Japan's Simon.

They can cite the ballot as a reason all they want, and I'm not saying it had no influence, but I don't see how you can justify Castlevania over other franchises/characters based on the ballot alone. There had to be other major factors that helped it other than that, to the point where, in the end, the ballot barely mattered anyway.
Doubt it. Here's the thing; when they say the ballot literally got those 3 characters in, the ballot got those 3 characters in. You can easily justify Castlevania, a massively influential series due to the ballot alone. There's a massive amount of overall votes for the series as a whole. That's more than enough. The fact it also was relevant via the TV show helps a bit too, but that didn't do much either. Being relevant or irrelevant wouldn't have changed anything besides maybe less content if Konami was barely using the franchise. But since they were constantly using it, it was easier to get content.

I probably can't convince you on the validity of fan polls, which of course should not be taken as absolute representations of the real results, but as others in this thread have noted the stuff in the game seems to confirm their validity, at least to a somewhat reasonable extent.
There's also zero reasons for Sakurai to look at fan polls. A poll for people who took the ballot and noted who they voted for is a lot more telling than random write-in fan polls. The numbers could be skewed due to specific rules.

Sure, Smash 4. That phrase was fairly vague. But whether it was Brawl or Smash 4 it doesn't really change what I was saying.
But it is wrong if you talking about Brawl. He couldn't have been in that game because Sakurai never once thought he should be. It was 4 at the earliest. So it does matter a lot. It's still a pretty long gap between the games, but admittedly also fairly short. 5 years isn't a long gap compared to others, really.

I meant No. 3 in votes which is certainly not a certainty but from all that I've seen it seems reasonable that he'd be right there if not close to it. I did say "if you're willing to think optimistically."
Also, from what I have personally perceived, Geno almost certainly did worse than Isaac on the ballot worldwide, but I don't really care to argue about this. Geno's popular okay fine.
That's why I said who was higher for Sakurai's picks via popularity. Geno clearly is higher for him than Isaac. But yeah, I can concur that Isaac had more votes.

That reads like Castlevania as a series did well meaning it was most likely characters like Simon, Alucard, Trevor, and possibly Dracula himself who did well. Probably Alucard did the best but as he said fans expected a Belmont. So yes in the sense that Castlevania at all is here due to the ballot that is why Richter is here but it's really the reason he was included with Simon instead of just Simon is as Sakurai said the moveset.
...The reason he was included is literally said to be the ballot, dude. There's no point in denying the facts. The echo factor helped, but his incentive was "appeal to both sides" first. The rest was how to make the moveset work, a secondary factor. Sometimes the moveset was the core influence, but that's clearly not the case here.

-----------------------

Now to get back on-topic, there's been a lot of thoughts of how to implement the Djinn. Taunts aside, I do like the idea of having a more varied moveset related to the Djinn equip system. I think we've already had a few posts suggest some stuff?

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
...The reason he was included is literally said to be the ballot, dude. There's no point in denying the facts. The echo factor helped, but his incentive was "appeal to both sides" first. The rest was how to make the moveset work, a secondary factor. Sometimes the moveset was the core influence, but that's clearly not the case
But it wasn't though. He literally said Castlevania was popular in the ballot not Richter. In fact Sakurai always pointed when a character is more popular in one region then another given that and his comment about him being unknown I'm fairly certain we are super lucky to have Richter as well. Which is fine with me he was my personal favorite Belmont but that's an uncommon as he's not the most recognizable Belmont even in his home country where they got the the better version of his game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
But it wasn't though. He literally said Castlevania was popular in the ballot not Richter. In fact Sakurai always pointed when a character is more popular in one region then another given that and his comment about him being unknown I'm fairly certain we are super lucky to have Richter as well. Which is fine with me he was my personal favorite Belmont but that's an uncommon as he's not the most recognizable Belmont even in his home country where they got the the better version of his game.
...And he literally said "I chose Richter and Simon due to the ballot." Same thing with Ridley and K. Rool.

I already linked the article too. "The Belmont boys, Ridley, and K. Rool were chosen due to the ballot." You can slight modify the wording all you want, but it's hard evidence here. There's no point in acting like Richter wasn't chosen due to the ballot. It's one thing to argue it's not the full reason, but to say it didn't matter is literally wrong.

Now let's move on already since this is way off-topic. You don't want to believe it means that? Fine. It doesn't matter. But this has nothing to do with Golden Sun and we have actual relevant GS content we can discuss. I apologize for effectively making it a derail. That was entirely my bad.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
...And he literally said "I chose Richter and Simon due to the ballot." Same thing with Ridley and K. Rool.

I already linked the article too. "The Belmont boys, Ridley, and K. Rool were chosen due to the ballot." You can slight modify the wording all you want, but it's hard evidence here. There's no point in acting like Richter wasn't chosen due to the ballot. It's one thing to argue it's not the full reason, but to say it didn't matter is literally wrong.

Now let's move on already since this is way off-topic. You don't want to believe it means that? Fine. It doesn't matter. But this has nothing to do with Golden Sun and we have actual relevant GS content we can discuss. I apologize for effectively making it a derail. That was entirely my bad.
I mean that was Push paraphrasing. The actual article doesn't say Richter and Simon were chosen explicitly because of the ballot. I'm not the one changing words. I'm just the one not ignoring his other statements to prove a point.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Now back on topic as I said before, there's a lot of really cool Djinn ideas.

I'm thinking a boost to attack power alone could be useful. There's a ton of Psynergy to use. It's a matter of what fits each spot best. Is there a particular class that should be used to represent him? Just his base Venus classes? I would think Growth could be brought into affect too. You could also have a Djinn release system that could weaken Psynergy but boost his physical attacks. Smash doesn't really do the idea of outright "fighting stance styles", so you couldn't just switch to a class before the start of the match. If they wanted to outright do a similar idea, I do like something akin to Pokemon Change, but you could change to a Venus/Mars/Jupiter/Mercury change-out for Psynergy. I'm not sure how to make it work as well. I've done that idea once with Brian, and I had trouble filling out each move slot.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
That wasn't the point. He was directly kept in because it was an overseas thing that people wouldn't know of. People don't know Richter overseas. Simon's nowhere near that popular in the East compared to Richter. Richter literally is Japan's Simon.
I don't see how that example with Ness/Lucas applies to this situation, though. If Lucas had to be fully unique from Ness, then I doubt that they would've been so willing to keep both. I'm not saying that appealing to one side of the Pacific or the other is unimportant, but it's unlikely to be enough for them to add two fully unique third party characters from the same franchise at the same time.

You can easily justify Castlevania, a massively influential series due to the ballot alone. There's a massive amount of overall votes for the series as a whole.
I don't think the number of votes were so massive and I have said why. If you don't like the sources of information that I used, then okay that's up to you.

There's also zero reasons for Sakurai to look at fan polls. A poll for people who took the ballot and noted who they voted for is a lot more telling than random write-in fan polls. The numbers could be skewed due to specific rules.
I never said that Sakurai would look at fan polls. I said that they're a useful source of information for us and they have some impact on my perception of things, but if you don't trust them, then okay. They have proven to be pretty accurate so far, at least in my view, and they're also "the best that we have" in some sense. But that's just my view of things.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I never said that Sakurai would look at fan polls. I said that they're a useful source of information for us and they have some impact on my perception of things, but if you don't trust them, then okay. They have proven to be pretty accurate so far, at least in my view, and they're also "the best that we have" in some sense. But that's just my view of things.
Exactly. Like I said many posts above… if literally every poll around the time the ballot one was done had Isaac, krool, banjo, veterans, etc, all near the top every single time, then it's not really that bad to assume that the official ballot might have looked somewhat similar and the chances are definitely there. The big trending names were all over the place during that specific time, the official ballot didn't happen in an alternate reality with a complete different set of fanbase asking for complete different things lol. And yeah we literally got almost everything near the top that aligns with some of the most popular polls back then like the dojo one in that google sheet, so it's definitely no coincidence that we got such things so far.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
Castlevania stuff
I dunno I read between the lines as more of a:

"Okay bringing everyone back? Seriously? Alright, we gotta make some calls. Let's talk to Konami first but **** they're nuts with all that Kojima stuff and letting their franchises die pachinko deaths... Still beats dealing with Square.

Wait what? They're totally cool with giving us Snake's rights? Wait they're not being insane about this? They're really supportive, good price?

So ask them how much for...

*checks ballot*

Konami IP Requests
1. SNAKE OH GOD BRING SNAKE BACK - 93%
2. Simon - 3%
3. Alucard - 2%
4. Bomberman - 1%
5. Richter
6. Yami Yugi
7. Pyramid head​

Ask them how much for Castlevania.

THEY SAID HOW MUCH??? With Dracula and the music and Bomberman too? Wake the lawyers; we need a contract ASAP!!!"

Or at least that's what I think happened, probably with more drinks/insider connections, but I'd bet money it was that type of situation. I generally think practicality matters more than strict numbers, especially for IP rights. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if a similar thing happened for Bayonetta.

What that says for Isaac, I dunno. The further on we go, the more I'm convinced the answers for the series' representation in Smash past Brawl lies with Hiroyuki Takahashi more than anything on Sakurai's end... Maybe I just want a large conspiracy for everything to finally make sense.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
One issue I've noticed with the Djinn class stuff is that it's harder to translate due to the vastly unique classes. But I guess you could just not worry about the exact class and give him various Djinn and skills related to classes he could "technically" have. Stuff like the various summons outside of just the Final Smash could be fun. Things like Smash Attacks could use a miniature version of a summon if it's boosted by releasing a Djinn and all. His moveset besides the physical attacks would weaken with each less Djinn that is set.

It helps that I view the Djinn is a fairly important mechanic that defines Golden Sun. Weapon unleashes to a lesser degree. Though equipment changing matters too.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
One issue I've noticed with the Djinn class stuff is that it's harder to translate due to the vastly unique classes. But I guess you could just not worry about the exact class and give him various Djinn and skills related to classes he could "technically" have. Stuff like the various summons outside of just the Final Smash could be fun. Things like Smash Attacks could use a miniature version of a summon if it's boosted by releasing a Djinn and all. His moveset besides the physical attacks would weaken with each less Djinn that is set.

It helps that I view the Djinn is a fairly important mechanic that defines Golden Sun. Weapon unleashes to a lesser degree. Though equipment changing matters too.
Maybe side smash is Ramses' fist?

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
Using summon moves in his normal kit seems really bizarre to me, especially when he has SO many over his own psynergy he can use. Isaac can do a down fist with his Pound psynergy already, so that might be more likely for a smash attack. I'm still torn on if he'd smash with the hand or a venus spell like Quake.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Using summon moves in his normal kit seems really bizarre to me, especially when he has SO many over his own psynergy he can use. Isaac can do a down fist with his Pound psynergy already, so that might be more likely for a smash attack. I'm still torn on if he'd smash with the hand or a venus spell like Quake.
I thought Pound as his neutral B or down b, but smash attack works fine. Just let it spike.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
I'd rather all hand Psynergy be grouped with side special or on his grab. Move as a windbox into command grab into Pound, ect for throws. Like the entire Assist Trophy's moveset being on one special or grab button.

I'd go with Gaia for Up, Quake for Down, Ragnarok for Side Smash.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
It's going to be extremely difficult and overly complex to carry over the complete scope of the djinni system to Smash with class changes and summons. In my moveset for his down b I made a selectable djinn for each of the four elements each with a different status effect when used such as increased falling speed or slower movement. When it's used the status effect will hinder you until the djinn is recharged and ready to use again. You can still demonstrate the use of djinns for summons in his final Smash by having an animation of four Venus djinn joining together to form Judgement

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Seems Nintendo won't have a June Direct:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

EDIT: Got it!

Now I'm really hoping Golden Sun is a 2021 thing, cause the best parts of announcements are always the reactions and stuff. Really, really hoping we can see Nintendo New York pop off when Golden Sun is revealed.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Seems Nintendo won't have a June Direct:
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1255871192910749698

(If someone could help me embed this, I'd appreciate it.)

Now I'm really hoping Golden Sun is a 2021 thing, cause the best parts of announcements are always the reactions and stuff. Really, really hoping we can see Nintendo New York pop off when Golden Sun is revealed.
To embed a tweet, click on the three dots to the right of the smiley face icon. Go down to Media, copy the address for the tweet, and paste it into the text box.

Though when you do this, make sure that the tweet doesn't contain any words that would normally be censored on this forum, so that you don't get warned for censor dodging. (the tweet looks fine, but I figure it couldn't hurt to mention this for future reference)

Last edited:
Top Bottom