• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Yeah, I really do think that we'll be getting Isaac as DLC, given how is model looks, fan demand, Rathalos tweet, etc. It makes too much sense (though I did say that before Nov. 1st).
Eh....

Isaac being on the base roster for Ultimate made "too much sense". I've heard that one before.

Personally I feel like Isaac is only going to be a possibility for dlc if a Golden Sun remake is in the works.

Though if that was the case I'd wonder why Sakurai didn't include him on the base roster since he would know the game was in development.

To be fair I do think them trademarking the English name for Golden Sun in Japan is interesting. What reason would they have for doing that?

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who doesn't like Isaac's model? I wish they modernized his look or something.
I really hate the leggings.

It's obvious Matthew inherited his fashion sense from Jenna.

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
So I don't know what the consensus is on the petition with the other character threads. Not everyone is down for it, but I think it would really bolster our numbers. I have already started making the petition (admittedly I have never done anything like this before). I am thinking about what I should say and would like some feed back.
If anyone is still interested in this.
Smash Petition pt.1.PNG
Smash Petition pt.2.PNG

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
So I don't know what the consensus is on the petition with the other character threads. Not everyone is down for it, but I think it would really bolster our numbers. I have already started making the petition (admittedly I have never done anything like this before). I am thinking about what I should say and would like some feed back.
If anyone is still interested in this.
View attachment 175403View attachment 175404
Personally I don't really have much faith in a petition.

I don't think Ridley or King K Rool got in because of a petition. (The ballot wasn't a petition)

cybersai

Smash Ace
The 5 DLC reps already seem decided, so no way is Isaac getting in this time unless there's a second season of DLC in 2020 and that seems unlikely.

See you guys in 2023 for Smash 6....just hope it's not a reboot because then they'll limit the roster to only the big all-stars.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
The 5 DLC reps already seem decided, so no way is Isaac getting in this time unless there's a second season of DLC in 2020 and that seems unlikely.

See you guys in 2023 for Smash 6....just hope it's not a reboot because then they'll limit the roster to only the big all-stars.
We're pushing for it. No matter what the leaker say.

No matter what we are right now.

We will push it. We will be vocal about our inclusion.

About our franchise's status. About it returning.

If we give up now, we lose everything that we've built up from this.

I don't think Ridley or King K Rool got in because of a petition. (The ballot wasn't a petition)
A point of a Petition isn't to convince others, but to show how much people support it.

I don't hate Sakurai, but I feel him being a AT seems too rough of a way to deconfirm him at the end.

petitions don't do anything, but the fanbase with the loudest voice can.

Last edited:

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice

Yeah I know what you mean. This petition may not get him into this game, but it could if we make a loud enough voice. I feel if we don't specifically tell Sakurai that we want more than an assist trophy, he will see it as fans are satisfied with those characters being just assist trophies. If he feels that way about it then he may not see a reason to promote those assist trophies to playable even 6 years from now in the next smash or the one after that and so forth.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I guess the overall thing here is that I refuse to wait 10 more years for another chance, honestly.
He shouldn't have held off on these assist trophies, as people were wanting him more and more.

This disappointed most of the people who watched it. It was not something people wanted, and Sakurai should recognize that.
Do we know if any assist trophies appear as spirits?
Shadow does.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

He shouldn't have held off on these assist trophies, as people were wanting him more and more.

This disappointed most of the people who watched it. It was not something people wanted, and Sakurai should recognize that.

Shadow does.
The issue seems to be the difference in how Sakurai seems to view ATs vs how fans do. He views them as like "your character isn't playable but they're in the game" but the thing is that the Smash fanbase views them as character graveyards. I get it, because it makes it look like your character is dead in the water even for DLC, but honestly Isaac's chances are very high if there is a second DLC wave that doesn't have predetermined characters like this first one. Isaac, Rex, Springman, SKull Kid, etc are fairly likely if there's a second wave to be honest. Despite what fans think, ATs are NOT character graveyards. There is no official statement from Sakurai about them like that and it's just another one of those dumbass fan rules that always gets broken

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I know, I'm getting me excited too! I really do think this all means something big is in the works for Golden Sun, including Isaac as a fighter.
I just feel that if I mention it to people outside of here that they're just going to tell me to shut up...

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I just feel that if I mention it to people outside of here that they're just going to tell me to shut up...
Eh, it's nothing more than a theory at this point, it could all add up to a whole lotta nothing, but it's worth sharing the information. If they tell you to shut up, it means they're no being receptive to information, so don't worry about it lol.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I know, I'm getting me excited too! I really do think this all means something big is in the works for Golden Sun, including Isaac as a fighter.
Personally I think the former is somewhat possible.

Not convinced on the Smash side of it though.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Personally I think the former is somewhat possible.

Not convinced on the Smash side of it though.
Yeah, I'm pretty confident in the new game/remake, but I think that directly leads to Smash, so it's kind of an extension of my theory.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
This is an example of parts of the Smash fanbase being "cancerous".

Not that I would go that far, but their behavior isn't cool.
I live on Twitter people can be waaaaay worse and annoying the should count there blessings because that's a very bad example of something cancerous l9l

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
There are already petitions for Isaac as DLC. One is this: https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-i...m_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

i dont think its necessary to make another one even though yours states more AT's than Isaac
I signed that petition already. I know what you mean but we haven't even made up 1000 signatures yet. Even if we do get a lot of signatures for Isaac Nintendo or Sakurai may just write it off as "the Isaac fans aren't happy". That was one of the problems with the Waluigi fans. It was just them, and people could point at them and call them ungrateful. If it comes from just one fandom it look could easily be dismissed, but if it came form multiple fandoms it would look like more of a movement from the smash community. Also if we joined up with other fandoms we would easily get a few thousand supporters.

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Am I the only one who doesn't like Isaac's model? I wish they modernized his look or something.
I really hate the leggings.

It's obvious Matthew inherited his fashion sense from Jenna.
Though Matthew and Adult Isaac seem to be dressed more similarly to each other. I'm also now realizing their Dark Dawn art render has them posed in a similar fashion lol.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
What I like about us rallying up and get Isaac via DLC and get a Golden Sun game is that we can potentially kill 3-4 birds with one stone:
1) Isaac gets promoted (and makes history if he's the first)
2) Golden Sun can get a new/remastered game
3) Golden Sun can be relevant again
4) Even if Isaac (or any GS rep) doesn't get in via DLC, the chance of it happening will be much more likely in Smash 6.

That's how I see it. I don't care how futile it is, we are going to get something out of it! :)

D

Deleted member

Despite everything Isaac is in.

I'm glad we'll see him in some form.

Least that's good enough for now.

He will get in one day no doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
There's a ton of depth to that question. And in order to get to the bottom of it, I have to give you a summation of how Golden Sun almost certainly fits into the sphere of game production. I have a lot of experience with game sales and analysis thereof. So follow me. This will be a long comment.

The first golden sun game sold 1.7 million copies. That would suggest a high profit margin. But the problem we have to consider there is A, the games development cycle, which given it started as a 64 game, is fair to assume was troubled getting off the ground. And the standard MSRP of a GBA game at launch (30 dollars, if I recall) [However, the studio is not making 30 per game, as the publisher takes a cut, as well as the stores where games are sold, it would be more like 15] was a formula for commercial disappointment. While far from an outright flop. It's suffice to say that commercial turn around was not as strong as Nintendo corporate was hoping for with a shiny new IP, that was was initially pitched as Nintendo's reply for Final fantasy and other PlayStation rpgs. And given it's visual style, which was boundary pushing given what was capable on GBA. This game was probably a pretty penny when compared to the average production of a GBA game. They made money, but not as much as they wanted.

That's where things start to go downhill. Usually when you have a lukewarm commercial victory, the publisher will allow you to do a sequel, under the pretense that said sequel MUST sell even better to compensate for under performance of the first title. If Sales increase, that is indicative of a brand with massive staying power, as that would mean word of mouth carried the title, and hype continued to grow title over title. The Lost age sold 1.2 million. This was likely a big disappointment for Nintendo. The lost age's production was likely no where near as expensive as the first game, due to asset re-use and not have to program an engine from scratch. But this decreased cost did not make the difference necessary for Nintendo to green light further sequels.

Dark Dawn is an industry example of what is known as developer bet, and or passion project. These are often spurred by a combination of fan demand, developer passion, and sometimes proper timing. These are typically games that corporate really didn't want to do, but devs on high in the studio had to push really, really hard for it. Staking both credibility and reputation on the line in order to achieve. Nintendo would reluctantly give the go ahead. However, the bar for entry of a DS game production is leaps and bounds higher than that of a GBA game. So the already dwindling staff of the Original two titles was essentially boned from the start. Dark Dawn sold 850K copies. From there, nintendo corporate puts the IP on ice indefinitely. The sales have trended downward from the first title onward, and Dark Dawn actually lost the studio money. With this loss, it's suffice to say people at Camelot lost a lot of creative freedom as punishment for their gamble.

This isn't all supposition. This is plugging Golden Sun into the time tested and time approved formula by which the whole of the game industry operates. The almighty dollar is the dictate by which everything is ran. Golden Sun would have likely fared better as a Nintendo Gamecube game. As the high production values, in combination with excellent design would have led to a more sustainable formula. As the higher values would be offset by the higher standard cost of a video game. 1.7 million copies sold at 50 dollars a game, is a massively higher turn around than that of 1.7 million at 30 dollars a game. Even in scenarios where the GBA game costs 2 million to make, and the Gamecube game is more like 8 million. (these are estimates, cost on both sides can go far higher or lower depending on marketing push)

The ideal for Nintendo right now is to go cover every IP in the catalog. The Switch is a rare kind of platform. It has caused a significant boon in the raw sales data of nearly every franchise that nintendo owns to touch it. While on ice IP's haven't been tested yet. It's suffice to say this would make for a massive boon as well. Nintendo would be most interested in a remake of Golden Sun 1. As it is both the most commercially, and critically successful title in the series. We have seen a very significant increase in sales RPG's on switch specifically. This is a rare opportunity for Nintendo to actually consider the production of a new title. As the timing is ripe. However. This where a problem is presented. The vast majoirty of the Golden Sun team no longer operates at Camelot. And Nintendo is not going to make the mistake of placing a shattered team on a new production once more. This time, and even MORE shattered team. And given the historically shakey commercial history of the series, Nintendo's best interest would be to oversea the external production of a new title under a new development studio.

The studio in question will need large experience with RPG's. So Nintendo's first order of business would be finding a developer who can work cheap enough, where if the new title fails, there is no huge loss incurred. This is where things get very murky. I say it's suffice to assume that some things have been considered internally. Merely on account of the golden sun series new trademark. However, finding the proper team that has both the talent, and works cheap enough, in order to avoid risk, is key. If a developer is found that would be willing in the next year or two, expect a remake of Golden Sun 1.

Golden Sun 1 is statistically the most likely to sell. Most likely to review well, and in this day and age, first parties are starting to care more about quality than raw game sales. but nintendo is still fickle, don't expect a new custom robo or F-zero verry soon. An extremely good game is lfar more likely to move consoles to more niche audiences. This for instance, is how Xenoblade can remain a strong force despite questionable sales. Xenoblade fans will buy consoles to buy new xenoblade games. And even if those games sell poorly, the first party in question will make the money back in sales of games like Mario Odessey, and other titles. As a Xenoblade fan who wasn't interested in the console for Mario Odessey, is still likely to go back and buy it now that they own the console. and by extension, the only place to play it.

It's an "every console matters" approach that we are seeing adopted more and more, especially by Sony, who fund's small games just because their bigger games will pay for them, and the overall critical and variety based aspect of the library is increased. If Nintendo wishes to move this policy to more IP's, Golden Sun stands out as a prime candidate. I wouldn't hold out hope to fiercely. But I would argue that Golden Sun is a series that's true commerical potential has never been seen. The closest would be the first title on GBA, which was drastically bottlenecked on account of being an unproven IP at the time, and the standards MSRP of a GBA game holding the end numbers back severely
This is a very well thought out post. Golden Sun was impressive for its time yes, but having development being started on N64 then getting moved to the GBA made it more time consuming. It is a cult favorite, but has not made much of a return as Nintendo would like.

Had Golden Sun come out on the Gamecube (and development time not wasted on the N64) I believe it would have done remarkably better, considering that the Gamecube was not too big on having RPG series since it did not get that much compared to the PS2.

Our only silver lining this time is:

1. Nintendo has released/announced all of their major hit titles. Meaning they have more incentive to dig deeper into their IP barrel to keep up momentum.
  2. Their development teams have free time to work on new projects after games get released/meet the deadline.
  3. Face it, even if Isaac did not get into Smash as a playable character Nintendo has bound to notice fan demand. Even if the Grinch Leak was fake it helped to draw more fan outcry when Isaac was not shown as playable. This shows to Nintendo that Golden Sun has a bigger audience than they initially thought.
  4. As shown with Diablo 3, Nintendo is not afraid to take risks.
Golden Sun may not have been revived through Smash as we would have hoped, but we do have a good opportunity at this time to push the series forward.
Isaac and Golden Sun is still fresh in the eyes of many; especially, after the Smash Direct. Golden Sun can only keep on reaching to people who get curious about Nintendo's lesser known titles.

Our best plan is to make a fan made Golden Sun with upgraded graphics, improved gameplay (ironing out all the no points of return) and knows the lore behind the story that made it so engaging in the first place. This will signify that Nintendo could make some potential money with a Golden Sun remake.

If there is one good thing to come from this generation's Nintendo, it is that they do not mind taking risks and want to dig deeper into their IPs.
We have good sets of Djinns to put together the Water of Life that Golden Sun itself needs, it just needs the proper direction and the original games are the perfect instructions on how to do it.

Note: If Golden Sun did not sell all too well because of the lack of marketing, then reviving Golden Sun has just gotten way easier.

Last edited:

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Since Isaac is "deconfirmed" as playable and now we think will never get a GS character. Only for the first DLC character to be either Felix or Mathew.

Ninetales Commander

Smash Cadet
You know, I've given this some thought and if I may be honest; While I would have preferred Isaac, I actually would be down for Matthew.
Think about it; Matthew and Isaac are practically the same character, when you played as them, they were silent protagonists and functioned as our presence in the game. Plus, Smash Bros kinda has a habit of making me love characters I previous didn't care for. I never really cared about A Link Between Worlds Zelda until I saw her in Smash Bros and then I suddenly loved her! Same goes for Incineroar, I did kinda like Incineroar but I always felt he was overshadowed by Decidueye but once I saw him in Smash Bros, I loved the dude!
If that can happen for those characters, why not Matthew? That said, I am doubtful that a Golden Sun 4 is in the works as right now Mario Tennis Aces is being supported until June so I imagine they have their hands full till them. And that's assuming they don't get to work on a new Mario Sports Game.

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't sure if I was going to post here again, but I'm still seeing the reactions to all this. Even seeing reactors who weren't actively supporting Isaac were cringing or looking shocked, they knew the impact seeing him as an AT would have on the fans who wanted him.

Everyone seems to be pushing for Isaac to be promoted to fighter status. And while I'm all for this, I'm not confident it's something that will happen. The AT is in the game and didn't make sense to remove that work done. I'm not sure if just removing him from games Isaac is will be acceptable to Sakurai either.

However, I would easily throw my hat in for Felix as DLC at this point. I don't think it really makes sense to put him in favour of Isaac, maybe some would find that insulting? But Felix is essentially a taller Isaac and importantly he represents the first two games. His move set could be entirely the same as what people imagine for Isaac, since they obviously use the same Venus Psynergy. People classify him as an easy Echo of Isaac, but I don't agree. If they don't share the same body sizes then he can't be an echo. He could easily be his own character.

Isaac or Felix, I want either or both of these characters. Matthew maybe but I do find him less appealing. I just want to throw some psynergy in my battles and play on Venus Lighthouse while listening to Saturos battle.

If there is a group backing, I'm worried the fans will be split on staying with Isaac, or backing Felix. I'm not sure what to do myself. I think the bigger crowd is still with Isaac and that's understandable. But I think Felix is the more available to be a fighter.

It's hard! I guess I'm gonna wait and see.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Eh....

Isaac being on the base roster for Ultimate made "too much sense". I've heard that one before.

Personally I feel like Isaac is only going to be a possibility for dlc if a Golden Sun remake is in the works.

Though if that was the case I'd wonder why Sakurai didn't include him on the base roster since he would know the game was in development.

To be fair I do think them trademarking the English name for Golden Sun in Japan is interesting. What reason would they have for doing that?
The Series is called "黄金の太陽" ("Ougon no Taiyou") in Japan, literally translated as "Golden Sun".

Anyway, a Golden Sun remake would attract new and old fans alike (provided they do it "right").

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Despite everything Isaac is in.

I'm glad we'll see him in some form.

Least that's good enough for now.

He will get in one day no doubt.
I'd rather push for Isaac in DLC.

Or GS for Switch.

I'm not giving up, as this franchise is on life-support.

While the AT is decent, I don't think it satisfies or answers anyone's questions about the status of Golden Sun.

Think about it, if we give up now, we basically admit that we rely on Smash and it's "fan rules".

We press on. Because we, as a fanbase, have to press on until we get an answer.

I wasn't sure if I was going to post here again, but I'm still seeing the reactions to all this. Even seeing reactors who weren't actively supporting Isaac were cringing or looking shocked, they knew the impact seeing him as an AT would have on the fans who wanted him.

Everyone seems to be pushing for Isaac to be promoted to fighter status. And while I'm all for this, I'm not confident it's something that will happen. The AT is in the game and didn't make sense to remove that work done. I'm not sure if just removing him from games Isaac is will be acceptable to Sakurai either.

However, I would easily throw my hat in for Felix as DLC at this point. I don't think it really makes sense to put him in favour of Isaac, maybe some would find that insulting? But Felix is essentially a taller Isaac and importantly he represents the first two games. His move set could be entirely the same as what people imagine for Isaac, since they obviously use the same Venus Psynergy. People classify him as an easy Echo of Isaac, but I don't agree. If they don't share the same body sizes then he can't be an echo. He could easily be his own character.

Isaac or Felix, I want either or both of these characters. Matthew maybe but I do find him less appealing. I just want to throw some psynergy in my battles and play on Venus Lighthouse while listening to Saturos battle.

If there is a group backing, I'm worried the fans will be split on staying with Isaac, or backing Felix. I'm not sure what to do myself. I think the bigger crowd is still with Isaac and that's understandable. But I think Felix is the more available to be a fighter.

Here's my opinion on that.

Isaac is the most iconic character of this series. He's the face of the series.

This is like saying we should vote for Zack instead of Cloud back when Cloud was unlikely.

Without isaac, Golden Sun loses the edge of recognizability that it gets without isaac being an assist. Like little mac.

And who says Sakurai can't break his own rules? You wanna know something? The pirahanna plant breaks the 3 rules simultaneously that Sakurai set many years ago.

And Chrom? He can be a fighter. A mii costume. And a final smash. He does what he wants.

And we can only get to breaking those rules if we push for Isaac.

Last edited:

Gurein

Smash Apprentice

I mean, we all know that Sakurai likes to take liberties if he thinks it's for the best. If he sees the demand for Isaac then decides to go for Felix I don't think anyone would be against that.
But we can't go asking for someone else, we've gained some momentum with Isaac which is why we gotta keep rooting for him. People not familiar with Golden Sun have a higher chance of recognizing Isaac than Felix or Matthew (who a lot of people mistake for Isaac actually)
So GO GO Isaac!!

TappyBat

Smash Ace

we stick with isaac. that's like putting peach in smash 64 and leaving out mario until melee. it ain't right. isaac gets in first

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Everyone, i want this thread to keep the steam going.

We're already at 786. We can push to 800. 900. 1000. We need to show that we support this character and want him in Smash/want a remake/want a new game.

Giving up is a death sentence. It means we don't ever get what we want. If that happened with Ridley's fans, they wouldn't have gotten what they wanted.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Screw it, add me to the supporters list! I have never touched Golden Sun but you guys have so much hope I love it and honestly Isaac is awesome. If AT's can be DLC I'm all for Isaac!

Top Bottom