• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
I think seeing how Sakurai disregarded both Isaac and Waluigi despite their popularity and support (and constantly mocked the latter character even as far back as before smash 4's launch), I feel he just doesn't like Camelot stuff in general :/

TappyBat

Smash Ace
I posted it on youtube but i'll post it here

*Cue sad music
Today, our Golden Boy was disconfirmed, he was disconfirmed by Daddy Sakurai, while we'll express our gratitudes for his work our Issac didn't make it in. We will remember Issac
Rest in Peace
Less We Forget
and Good Luck as assist
NO! this isn't over we keep going.

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
You should talk to him this is the guy
He's a golden sun supporter and he supports fire emblem he could expose the series to them he's also talked about advance wars aswell

I am in the works of doing a GS video and Lucky Crit is part of it. He is collabing on it.

So don't worry I can talk to him about any projects you think of

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
Never actually posted in this thread. Just wanted to share my thoughts.

So I've never played Golden Sun before and outside of knowing of Isaac's existence, I'm not familiar with the series at all. Unfortunately, this speculation period was just long enough for me to be able to learn more about the character and start supporting him to the point where I was extremely disappointed with his Assist Trophy role for this game.

It's a little strange to me how Isaac's support was noticeable enough for him to return as an Assist, but they didn't decide to just hold off and release him as DLC? Why would you stick him in that position where he (likely) can't ever be playable, at least in this game?

I really hope that they decide to do more than just the 5 DLC characters and maybe do 5 Assist Trophy upgrades at some point. Probably a pipe dream -- I doubt it will happen.

Anyway, that ends my little spiel. Don't give up hope, Isaac fans! (especially those of you much more knowledgeable about the character than I)

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I'm in the same place; don't know much about Golden Sun but I really felt disheartened for all of the fans of Golden Sun and Isaac specifically to be given this treatment again. I will keep supporting Isaac no matter what; I think the more we increase the more our voices will be heard somewhere down the road.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I think seeing how Sakurai disregarded both Isaac and Waluigi despite their popularity and support (and constantly mocked the latter character even as far back as before smash 4's launch), I feel he just doesn't like Camelot stuff in general :/
I kind of jokingly brought up a little while ago that maybe Sakurai has some kind of hatred for Camelot. Probably not, but it is weird....lol

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I’m hoping to god that Sakurai is at the very least aware that we as a fan base passionately desire more than just an assist trophy. It’s just that golden sun is a franchise that many are yearning for a return and smash bros is a celebration of all things nintendo. So I feel that am inevitablesash 6 will finally bring it forward, but because that’s such a long time away, I’m going to keep gunning hard for Isaac or Matthew to get in as dlc.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
I kind of jokingly brought up a little while ago that maybe Sakurai has some kind of hatred for Camelot. Probably not, but it is weird....lol
Yeah, it's probably just a coincidence that these characters got treated the way they are being happen to both be Camelot characters, but I dunno.

Tiymako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tiymako
3DS FC
3969-4335-6560
Switch FC
4983-0183-9411
But I can't wait like this. Not like this....

Not when we're still down....

I'm....I'm so sorry....I'm sorry to this thread. I'm sorry I caused so many people's dissapointments...
It's not your fault, we all thought it was possible and now we have a small chance for redemption! We can make a campaign for Felix or Mathew DLC and we all can keep spreading the love for Golden Sun. I know I had a bunch of hope speeches, but I really believed it was possible! Keep your head up! Let's all stay optimistic and not let it bring us down or stop us from pushing through!

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Wow, even as a huge Waluigi fan, I never knew about this. This is the first time I've ever heard about it. Now you got me intrigued BluePikmin
Oh yeah, I remember even as a kid back in the brawl days, after people had saw Wario get in people were really expecting Waluigi to join him as well, and there was much disappointment when he was announced only as an assist. I remember Nintendo power even said it was strange why despite all his game appearances and popularity he got made as an assist.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Honestly, I feel as long as the support is strong and loud, I don't think it's impossible to expect Isaac and Waluigi dlc in the future, I'm pretty sure there's gonna be a bigger gap between this game and the next smash, and they will wanna fill that gap with as much dlc as possible. And right now, Waluigi, Issac, shadow, and pretty much most current assist trophies are the most wanted (also banjo-kazooie who isn't an assist or anything but I still I hope gets dlc)

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Is there somebody who is going to be in charge of this whole thing? If so who? BillyBo10k is a pretty well known Smash youtuber who is also known for his Isaac support.

KMDP

Smash Legend
It's a little strange to me how Isaac's support was noticeable enough for him to return as an Assist, but they didn't decide to just hold off and release him as DLC? Why would you stick him in that position where he (likely) can't ever be playable, at least in this game?
One could argue that not having Isaac at all would be... well... let's not imagine it and say we did. :laugh:

Let's just say that they can have him in the base game and have him as DLC later, which is a superior option to not having him in the game at all and having him as DLC later. (Ain't no rule!)

In one scenario, Isaac has the potential to be introduced to almost all players of Ultimate (who aren't already familiar with him), whereupon potential buyers will at least recognize him. Not having him in the game at all would make his later reveal as DLC a mixed bag (you'd be banking on him being interesting enough from just a trailer for sales).

Golden Sun hasn't been around in 10 years, not everyone is going to A) Have played any of the three Golden Sun games; B) Played Brawl; or C) Frequented enough online networks to have learned about the character through other means.

Last edited:

LuminoZero

Smash Apprentice
One could argue that not having Isaac at all would be... well... let's not imagine it and say we did. :laugh:

Let's just say that they can have him in the base game and have him as DLC later, which is a superior option to not having him in the game at all and having him as DLC later. (Ain't no rule!)

In one scenario, Isaac has the potential to be introduced to almost all players of Ultimate (who aren't already familiar with him), whereupon potential buyers will at least recognize him. Not having him in the game at all would make his later reveal as DLC a mixed bag (you'd be banking on him being interesting enough from just a trailer for sales).

Golden Sun hasn't been around in 10 years, not everyone is going to A) Have played any of the three Golden Sun games; B) Played Brawl; or C) Frequented enough online networks to have learned about the character through other means.
That's a very good point. Hadn't considered it.

KMDP

Smash Legend
That's a very good point. Hadn't considered it.
Yeah, you don't want your hot new DLC character to be "literally who?" and force a potential buyer to look up who they are. :laugh:

Having that buyer go "Oh! It's that one Assist Trophy kid!" is a far superior alternative.

Klimax

Smash Ace
I don't think that Isaac has any chance for Ultimate now that he's an AT. But I'll continue to support him, you guys deserve him for being probably one if not the most positive fanbase. Camelot also deserve some love.

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
I got bombarded with harassment and people calling me "entitled" for wanting one character. ONE. I did what I would normally never do. I'm tired of this passive shtick. I'm tired of playing the nice guy who STILL get's crapped on by the whole universe because said universe hates him. The Isaac community endures this too much. So I did what I don't do. I bit back, I bit back really hard. Folk's telling me the character is dead. I did a burn out on half the cash in one reply. Folk's telling me he's to niche, so I respond by striking right in the fire and asking if they knew what in the hell a xenoblade was before smash 4. Folk's telling me he's an anime swordsman, I respond by questioning if they did five minutes of research. Folk's telling me to "sit down boy" cause I haven't waited 20 years so apparently my opinion didn't count, responded in kind by asking if that Magolor pick of his felt good to wear.

I know I shouldn't have done that. But good god did it feel cathartic. I felt like I blew through years of rage in the time span of about an hour. I have never seen an Isaac fan lash out, until I did. Which is hilarious because I saw people responding as though I HAD lashed out. Well they poked the bear, so I responded with as much spite and as many barbs as they painted me to have.

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice

I'm sorry man but I have to disagree with you on that. People literally saw a generic Mario enemy and were ecstatic about it. Even if Isaac was a DLC fighter in the future people who don't know him would decide if they want to buy him or not based off of the trailer. They literally only have to show half of what Isaac can do in Golden Sun and people will buy him.

Xgears

Smash Apprentice
I got bombarded with harassment and people calling me "entitled" for wanting one character. ONE. I did what I would normally never do. I'm tired of this passive shtick. I'm tired of playing the nice guy who STILL get's crapped on by the whole universe because said universe hates him. The Isaac community endures this too much. So I did what I don't do. I bit back, I bit back really hard. Folk's telling me the character is dead. I did a burn out on half the cash in one reply. Folk's telling me he's to niche, so I respond by striking right in the fire and asking if they knew what in the hell a xenoblade was before smash 4. Folk's telling me he's an anime swordsman, I respond by questioning if they did five minutes of research. Folk's telling me to "sit down boy" cause I haven't waited 20 years so apparently my opinion didn't count, responded in kind by asking if that Magolor pick of his felt good to wear.

I know I shouldn't have done that. But good god did it feel cathartic. I felt like I blew through years of rage in the time span of about an hour. I have never seen an Isaac fan lash out, until I did. Which is hilarious because I saw people responding as though I HAD lashed out. Well they poked the bear, so I responded with as much spite and as many barbs as they painted me to have.
Bro Isaac is dead and Nintendo doesn't care about Golden Sun.

Klimax

Smash Ace

Thing is, people have every right to be damn angry. You would be entitled if the game was free, which is obviously not the case. So yeah, you have every right to say "look, you made good things but you also made **** things on your product". And that's perfectly fine.
People who are calling the others "entitled" are just fanboys.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I love the enthusiasm most of you are having towards showing our love to this series and character. We were so close this time lads, so close. I think it says a lot when he was the only cut character from Brawl aside from Gray Fox who was attached to Snake to come back and he got more attacks to boot which has never happened to a veteran assist trophy before. We need to be a stubborn but a respectable bunch and prove to Nintendo that this franchise is worth fighting for. There will be people trying to bring you down but ignore them and stick to the mission. Just remember the Golden Sun will only stop shining if we let it

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'm sorry man but I have to disagree with you on that. People literally saw a generic Mario enemy and were ecstatic about it. Even if Isaac was a DLC fighter in the future people who don't know him would decide if they want to buy him or not based off of the trailer. They literally only have to show half of what Isaac can do in Golden Sun and people will buy him.
You can't guarantee that.

Some people are ecstatic and/or amused about Piranha Plant, but others are very angry and/or confused. And besides, comparing Piranha Plant and Isaac is like comparing Apples and Oranges, Piranha Plant is a recognizable Mario enemy (even if it's a confusing choice of character), while Isaac is a character who hasn't been in a game in 10 years.

You don't want people saying "okay, who the hell is this guy and why should I care?", introducing him as an Assist Trophy at least introduces him.

Though, one could say that they should have instead just had him as a character from the start, but then we wouldn't have gotten :ultridley: or :ultkrool: (there's no way they'd have not developed :ultinkling:, :ultsimon: and :ultincineroar:, and :ultisabelle: is a Semi-Clone).

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

Sometimes, the Smash Community can be pretty toxic. But we shouldn't mind them and be better than them. We are the Isaac fanbase. We are going to take these lemons from the Nov. Direct and turn it to the best lemonade in history.

For example: "Isaac should have been shown early on." But I say, why? Look at what we've accomplished over the last few months. We are on a lot of people's radar, we've brought back fans from the shadows, Golden Sun got trending on Twitter, new people are being introduced to Golden Sun and now want to support Isaac, we got Isaac in 2nd place in the Reddit Battle, and the list goes on and on. We wouldn't have had any of that had Isaac been revealed early. For that, I thank Sakurai for doing this. We have become much bigger than before. And now, we can go even beyond.

Turning a negative to a positive. Always look at the bright (Golden Sun) side. We shall shake the earth and lend a hand! Campaign for Isaac (and heck, Matthew too just in case at the same time) for DLC. Remember, there are no rules about being deconfirmed until the game is done. AT promotions can and will be a thing in game. And if we do our part and STILL don't get Isaac for DLC, then the next game will have us on its radar for sure next time. And maybe, just maybe during our campaign, we can finally get another Golden Sun game again.

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
You can't guarantee that.

Some people are ecstatic and/or amused about Piranha Plant, but others are very angry and.or confused. And besides, comparing Piranha Plant and Isaac is like comparing Apples and Oranges, Piranha Plant is a recognizable Mario enemy (even if it's a confusing choice of character), while Isaac is a character who hasn't been in a game in 10 years.

You don't want people saying "okay, who the hell is this guy and why should I care?", introducing him as an Assist Trophy at least introduces him.

Though, one could say that they should have instead just had him as a character from the start, but then we wouldn't have gotten :ultridley: or :ultkrool: (there's no way they'd have not developed :ultinkling:, :ultsimon: and :ultincineroar:, and :ultisabelle: is a Semi-Clone).
I'm not disagreeing with you on the relevancy argument. My point was that people won't decide if they want to buy him or not just because they know him. They will decide to buy him based off of what they see him do in his trailer. Not many people knew who :ultcorrin: was but when they saw him using a flaming chainsaw sword and transforming into a dragon they decided whether to buy him or not. I vaguely knew who :ultcloud: was until smash 4 DLC, but I bought him because he looked fun. Isaac just has to look interesting for people to want to buy him, and in that department Isaac will shine. Also there are completionists and competitive players who will want all of the characters and would buy him regardless.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
What if all the assist trophy fans (Shadow, Spring Man, Ashley, Waluigi, Lyn, Shadow, Skull Kid, Bomber Man) teamed up? Our collective voice could be even LOUDER than Ridley's or K Rool's..... We can bring to Sakurai's attention that assist's are simply not enough!

Top Bottom