• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Honestly, I'm not that excited about any of the other leak characters. I've never played any of the games these characters are from other than Isaac and their likely playstyles don't draw me. My favorite franchises got passed over when it came to newcomers (Pokemon, Xenoblade) and my top choices weren't picked (Elma and Lycanroc).

That said, I'm happy overall because it's a well-rounded cast all around. While I'm not personally excited about 6/7, I know they're good picks together and make for an interesting roster. Heck, even Geno, a character I don't think deserves a spot over Isaac, is fine right now because he's coming alongside Isaac.

SundaeS

Smash Cadet
Hey, I have a question for all of you. Outside of Isaac, what other characters in the leak are you excited for? I am rather excited for Geno, as he has always been at the top of my list. I am fine with the rest of the characters and glad that so many long requests are coming through, but my shock and curiosity over Mach Rider got me to look more into him/her and I am quite excited for the character now.
Well I wasn't really into Smash 4 speculation, but I remember casually watching the reveals and slightly hoping Isaac was in and was disappointed when he wasn't. If he is in I'd be really ecstatic. For the other characters I'd be interested in:

Chorus Kids- I have listened to the songs of rhythm heaven for a while now on youtube. I never realized it was rhythm heaven or the fact it was owned by Nintendo. I think a rhythm-based character, in general, would be pretty unique and I wonder how Sakurai would handle and incorporate that into a character.

Banjo Kazooie- I saw my bro playing it well after the fact when it came out. We didn't really grow up with it so I don't really have much attachment to the character. I grew up with King K Rool and recognize him along with Dixie Kong though. I can see if he gets in he'd use a lot of the move sets he used in his games which were aplenty and I'm sure his fans would be very happy.

Geno- Some reason I never played any of the super mario rpg like games on the market. Though a lot of people clamor for Geno and he must be beloved so I wouldn't mind seeing him. I would probably have to watch a playthrough if he did get in too.

Mach Rider- I didn't even know who he was even when his trademark was renewed along with Golden Sun. I hear he has a male and female version. So I hope both are incorporated for I guess more females in Smash.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Hey, I have a question for all of you. Outside of Isaac, what other characters in the leak are you excited for? I am rather excited for Geno, as he has always been at the top of my list. I am fine with the rest of the characters and glad that so many long requests are coming through, but my shock and curiosity over Mach Rider got me to look more into him/her and I am quite excited for the character now.
I am pumped for the Geno and Banjo fans! Those boys have been waiting about just as long as us, and have been fighting a similarly hopeless battle. It’s awesome to see the dream finally come true.

I never really cared for Mach Rider in Smash. I always preferred Excitebiker. I feel he’s a bit more iconic, and would be perfect if you were to have a character that fights on their bike the whole time. However, I’m just happy that we’re still getting a retro character! They’re always so fun! And the more I envision Mach Rider in Smash the more awesome she sounds!

Ken is my SF main, so having him in is pretty nice. Obviously as an echo there’s only so much he can bring. Still really cool to have him.

Shadow is cool. I have some friends that are really big Sonic fans who I know will be really excited for him, so I’m definitely happy for them. SA2B is also my favorite Sonic game. Fight me.

But if I were to pick who I personally am most excited for? Chorus Kids. I cannot wait to see how they play. And I love the Rhythm Heaven games, so finally having a character from there is awesome! I already know that they’ll be a ton of fun.

This is just such a damn good lineup.

User Name String

Smash Apprentice
When looking at this persons edited version and his comments on it actually sells me on it being real.
All the areas where the newcomers appear
Mach Rider because Captain Falcon and WFT shall now face a true competitor for Ridiculous/ absurd fighters.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
So in terms of character hype (added that the Grinch Leak is real):
  1. Ridley - Wanted before I came across Golden Sun.
  2. King K. Rool - Thought he should have been in since Brawl.
  3. Isaac - Golden Sun is a franchise that I really enjoy and is great to see it be recognized.
  4. Inkling - I enjoyed Splatoon and they were expected.
  5. Mach Rider - Something about Nintendo Retros that I love.
  6. Dark Samus - Very well liked and am hoping for a SA-X palette variant.
  7. Geno - A puppet with a beam cannon sounds cool.
  8. Shadow - Enjoyed him in Sonic Adventure 2, just do not want him based off of his Shadow the Hedgehog variant.
  9. Ken - Expected him and would rather have Akuma.
  10. Isabelle - Ok choice not too strongly one way or another.
  11. Banjo - Look at Isabelle
  12. Daisy - Unexpected but would rather her have a sports based moveset.
  13. Simon - Thought he should have been in since Brawl.
  14. Richter - Same as Simon, but I prefer his design.
  15. Chorus Kids - Would rather have Rhythm Girl as the rep, but am curious as to how they work.
  16. Chrom - Do not really like him, but good for his fans I guess.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I know I'll be a black sheep here but I've yet to hear a satisfying argument for the leak being real after Artsy Omni's stream.
You're not going to hear one because there's not one just like there's actually no satisfying argument for why it's fake. Each side only had evidence pointing to the fact that it could be real or it could be fake no one actually has any proof towards it's validity. And until we get a direct no one will. That is why I'm staying neutral on this.

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
Isaac fans have benefited the most from this Grinch situation. We've had so many eyes on Isaac for several days now! Even if this turns out to be fake (which I 100% believe it is) we've gained from it. Add the sprout speculation in and this might be the most Isaac/GS has been discussed in years possibly.

Ledfarmer

Smash Rookie
Inkling: This was the character I voted for on the Ballot. But only because I thought they would be in Smash Wii U. I wish I voted for Shantae, but that doesn't change the fact I really wanted this character. They look super interesting and are one of the characters I can't wait to try out. #Booyah
Booyah! I’m gonna dual-main Isaac and Inklings

Unless we get Octoling and Felix DLC, then I’m gonna dual-main their edgy echoes

Last edited:

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Isaac fans have benefited the most from this Grinch situation. We've had so many eyes on Isaac for several days now! Even if this turns out to be fake (which I 100% believe it is) we've gained from it. Add the sprout speculation in and this might be the most Isaac/GS has been discussed in years possibly.
Personally i'm still team real on the leak just because I feel like the leak has resisted basically every important form of criticism well enough to last this long. But whether or not it's fake or real, it's completely true. This is the most golden sun talk in years.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Almost at day 4 and STILL the leak is not dead. Either it's real or the greatest hoax in the history of mankind.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
Personally i'm still team real on the leak just because I feel like the leak has resisted basically every important form of criticism well enough to last this long. But whether or not it's fake or real, it's completely true. This is the most golden sun talk in years.
Considering this thread hasn’t gone below 60-100 viewers (except maybe during the off hours), I agree. Even people that haven’t been in our merry little group have joined the discussion thanks to this leak. Whether it’s fake or not. Isaac’s in a (I say a, because he’s only one of several possibly leaked characters) spotlight right now. More so than Sakurai’s Rathalos tweet.

And I’m grateful for that! If there’s anyone in this thread that doesn’t know much about Golden Sun but would like to discuss further, I implore you to ask questions about Isaac and Golden sun in general. I and many others are a wealth of knowledge. Sure, you could always wiki... but we actually have personality, so what’s the more interesting option? Lol

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
You know what would be interesting? If this leak was real, and some of these characters are revealed in the next direct, but when they're placed on the banner they give them different designs to throw us off. I don't think it takes a ridiculous amount of effort for a professional artist to make a redesign of character art to throw people off, of course assuming the leak is real and Nintendo is aware of all this.
I kind of hope not lol. I'm really liking the idea that one character can confirm seven at once, instead of having to specifically wait for Isaac's turn (especially if he's last and we had no idea of this leak and Mach Rider just showed up lol). I feel like if Geno gets revealed next, but he's not posing exactly like the art in the Grinch leak, then we'd be back to everyone believing Kencineroar as the final two (not that it matters what the community believes since it doesn't shape what Sakurai's done with the roster but it's still a headache to read through).

Last edited:

Flarzo

Smash Cadet
For the characters in the leak, this is my excitement ranking:

Isaac >>> Geno > Mach Rider > Chorus Kids > Ken > Banjo-Kazooie > Shadow

Sorry guys, never played Banjo-Kazooie back in the day and I'm not big on Sonic either. :p
Thats exactly how I would rank them, Geno has a really cool design and mach rider is just an awesome retro character. I am pretty indifferent about Chorus Kids and Ken and don't really like Banjo-Kazooie (never played his game :/) because he seems a lot like duck hunt. Finally I dislike Shadow because he is just a more dark and edgy sonic.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
I kind of hope not lol. I'm really liking the idea that one character can confirm seven at once, instead of having to specifically wait for Isaac's turn (especially if he's last and we had no idea of this leak and Mach Rider just showed up lol). I feel like if Geno gets revealed next, but he's not posing exactly like the art in the Grinch leak, then we'd be back to everyone believing Kencineroar as the final two (not that it matters what the community believes since it doesn't shape what Sakurai's done with the roster but it's still a headache to read through).
Yup lol, I would hate it too. I just think that could be one way to control the damage from the leak a bit...although it would only be temporary. The game comes out in a month anyways so idk if it would be worth it for them

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Almost at day 4 and STILL the leak is not dead. Either it's real or the greatest hoax in the history of mankind.
It’s INSANE. I CANNOT get over it! If this is fake, ArtsyOmni will look like a punk in comparison.

If this is real, we will literally have the Ultimate roster. A roster of dreams. A roster of legends.

History either way.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
The more I think about this leak the more I'm convinced it's real. People like ArtsyOmni nitpicking changes in the background seems so insignificant in the greater picture of all the crazy stuff that would have to have been faked to make this real that I have difficulty believing that it even could be faked. It just seems so much easier to believe that the background was changed and/or the picture quality obscured details than someone drew seven characters from an immediately discarded leak AND did Photoshop work to move every character in the banner in the process of incorporating those seven characters AND put them all on believable marketing materials AND further developed Grinch movie materials to try to add to the believability AND impersonated a random guy in the correct career to post this despite knowing the very serious legal ramifications AND did it all well enough that 72 hours later we still can't firmly disprove it. This isn't someone passing off a well-done render of Rayman as real, this is far more complex, and that's just an insane thing to do for some short lived internet fame.

D

Deleted member

Inevitably, Nintendo is going to have to present the outcome sooner than later, and since they were saving a Direct this late in the game, they might as well just reveal everything. Ideally, Sakurai would have loved to wait until the very last week before revealing everything there is in the game, but if Nintendo takes this seriously, they'll be forced to play with the hand they were dealt.

However, while Nintendo may not have lost out on the most notable aspect of Smash Bros. (the fighters), there's still remaining Assist Trophies, Game Modes (Spirits, especially), Trophies, Mini-Games, the remaining five stages, and finally, a history of Smash Bros. (if likely, since next year will be the 20th Anniversary of the franchise). It's not a lost cause for them entirely, but it is very frustrating that they lost the element of surprise.

And, while I understand how Artsy Omni is addressing the banner, I don't feel as if his arguments are solid because they keep going to "it's blurry, so it's invalid".

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
However, while Nintendo may not have lost out on the most notable aspect of Smash Bros. (the fighters), there's still remaining Assist Trophies, Game Modes (Spirits, especially), Trophies, Mini-Games, the remaining five stages, and finally, a history of Smash Bros. (if likely, since next year will be the 20th Anniversary of the franchise). It's not a lost cause for them entirely, but it is very frustrating that they lost the element of surprise.
This is the one aspect that terribly saddens me about this whole situation. I've been waiting for Isaac in Smash for well over a decade. If he's actually in, this leak has ruined the surprise that I've so been looking forward to. If he's not in, well, I can't say I'll be happy with whoever is responsible for toying with my emotions like this. Either way, it's hardly the ideal outcome for this Golden Sun fan.

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
The more I think about this leak the more I'm convinced it's real. People like ArtsyOmni nitpicking changes in the background seems so insignificant in the greater picture of all the crazy stuff that would have to have been faked to make this real that I have difficulty believing that it even could be faked. It just seems so much easier to believe that the background was changed and/or the picture quality obscured details than someone drew seven characters from an immediately discarded leak AND did Photoshop work to move every character in the banner in the process of incorporating those seven characters AND put them all on believable marketing materials AND further developed Grinch movie materials to try to add to the believability AND impersonated a random guy in the correct career to post this despite knowing the very serious legal ramifications AND did it all well enough that 72 hours later we still can't firmly disprove it. This isn't someone passing off a well-done render of Rayman as real, this is far more complex, and that's just an insane thing to do for some short lived internet fame.
And I think Flynn.Scifo Flynn.Scifo mentioned this but the way that guy revealed everything like the whole cursing and not giving any f's, it's hard to imagine that someone like that would be able to think all of that through. Cause if it's fake than wow, I have never been fooled that much in a long time. So I am rly praying that the leak truly revealed the final roster. Not only for Isaac's sake but for every one else's since it has so many fan favorites in it.

Ledfarmer

Smash Rookie
Even if the leak is real I’ll still be super hyped during the character reveals. Especially the ones that get full reveal trailers since they’ve all been so good so far (except maybe Isabelle’s). I also really wanna see how they play. What are their specials/taunts/victory animations/etc?

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
This is the one aspect that terribly saddens me about this whole situation. I've been waiting for Isaac in Smash for well over a decade. If he's actually in, this leak has ruined the surprise that I've so been looking forward to. If he's not in, well, I can't say I'll be happy with whoever is responsible for toying with my emotions like this. Either way, it's hardly the ideal outcome for this Golden Sun fan.
Being surprised about Isaac would have been ideal for sure. At least we haven't seen footage or isaac's render, because that would really kill the hype...

I was heavily rooting for Roy in smash 4 but he got leaked a day before and it completely ruined the hype for me. At least if this one is real I'll be super excited to see how Isaac looks and how his moveset is

D

Deleted member

I get your concern, but in all honesty, it may be for the best that we know now than waiting. After all, ever since Brawl, that's all we have done.

Wait.

And wait.

And wait some more.

Did I mention waiting?

The one thing that I did miss about Smash 3DS when it came out in Japan was how everybody was streaming it live to try and find all the content and to see if the ESRB Leak was legit or how the new assets looked. Given the worldwide release, and the fact that I'm going to have it directly downloaded to my Switch, there is still going to be that feeling for a while before we settle in.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
So how many of you GS fans are prepared for the inevitable trolls who’ll complain about Isaac being another anime swordsman?
If we are aware they are trolls, then why bother?
You haven’t been here long have you? Lol. This is a battle we’ve been raging for a while. It’s the main reason why detractors have been actively against Isaac.

I’m kind of hoping when these people see his Venus Psynergy focused moveset, they’ll stop with that nonsense.
Magic and a Dragonstone didn't save Robin and Corrin, so I'm still hoping for an axe wielding Isaac.
1. Isaac, the only likely newcomer I want. And then there's a big gap...
2. Shadow, I like him but not on a "I really want him in Smash" level.
3. Mach Rider, never played the game but the character piques my interest.
4. Geno, B&K, Ken and CK; never played their games so I'm neutral. I used to not want Geno because I'd rather have Neku or Terra but because SE keeps being stingy I don't mind him anymore.
As for the confirmed guys... I've only played Chrom, Ridley and Isabelle's games but I'm more hyped for the villains (including Ridley, of course).

Last edited:

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
Inevitably, Nintendo is going to have to present the outcome sooner than later, and since they were saving a Direct this late in the game, they might as well just reveal everything. Ideally, Sakurai would have loved to wait until the very last week before revealing everything there is in the game, but if Nintendo takes this seriously, they'll be forced to play with the hand they were dealt.

And, while I understand how Artsy Omni is addressing the banner, I don't feel as if his arguments are solid because they keep going to "it's blurry, so it's invalid".
"It's blurry ergo fake" Isn't his argument. His argument is everytime there was an area obscured by a character, it was seriously inconsistent with the official blank battle field. He was just presenting this information to the community for them to drae their own conclusions. Some decided they thought it was fake, some didn't.

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
I believe too but let's just keep a bit of reserve on this guys. Remember how certain we were Isaac would appear in the last nintendo direct after theories and hints we had ? And the crisis after Isabelle's reveal ? This would be nothing compared to the deception and chaos this leak would bring if it turns to be fake, we don't want world war III. :drshrug:
I don't want to say hype responsibly because I think it's stupid, hype is hype. But just keep your two feet on the ground while enjoying all this till official confirmation.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Like most of them and none of them I hate.

Richter - Favorite Belmont and awesome suprise
Simon - Love Castlevania
Ridley - Love Ridley and Metroid deserves it
Dark Samus - ^Look above
King K Rool - Love K Rool and DK deserves it
Chrom - Only gripe is there are three Awakening characters and no Magvel/Judgral, probably my least hyped*
Daisy - I like Daisy and she was cute*
Inkling - Expected but cool*
Isabelle - Cool with her, wasn't excited though.*

Mach Rider - If Sakurai does not make a new Ice Climbers game, Mach Rider should be his next project. Please! Also Mach Rider has a cool design.
Isaac - Duh I love him
Geno - I like him, but not as much as Isaac, I'm happy for fans in the same rut
Banjo - ^Same as above
Chorus Kids - Always up for a new series to be represented.
Ken - I love SF and his theme is awesome.
Shadow - Good because I can ship him with American Box Art Kirby, Dark Samus, Dark Link, and Dark Pit
In General - I love this, the new character choices just pwn people who fixate on relevancy. Due to this, the asterick characters were the only one I expected after Smash 4. Also new series being added is always welcome.

SundaeS

Smash Cadet
Well just to add my two cents. I did watch Artsy Omni's video and some other videos regarding the background. The points he made about it were about the very distinct cloud formations, purple crystals, the waterfall, and the castle that hasn't shown up in the background of the Grinch Leak. There was also a crystal that shows up between Cloud and another character that shows through a gap in the most recent official banner art. Then he compared it to the Leak image and the distinct color didn't show through. I can see where he comes from and I won't lie that sort of evidence can be pretty daunting. Though I can't help but think of when I've used the snap chat video functions I can see a noticeable difference when I moved the camera and it would blur and wouldn't be that great of a quality when not focusing.

Also the image we see at the bottom was pieced together from the video apparently. That makes me wonder if someone did take more screenshots of the video what angles they must've taken and tried to piece it together. Though I wonder exactly which discord this even came from or did someone just say they got it from a discord and post it to 4chan. Well despite all my doubts I'm about closer to 50/50 than anything. Yet I want it to be real for Isaac. I also tried looking into the "Growth Psynergy" from Wendy's video by myself, but looking really closely at these things makes me feel nuts when I come to certain conclusions. Plus Growth Psynergy is my profile pic go figure.

Either way I want Isaac still and I'll be disappointed all the same if he wasn't in, but I still support him deep down. The Rathalos tweet didn't get me talking, but this leak definitely does spark something strange.

Icana

Smash Apprentice

I don't know, man. I think the moment I see Isaac as a fighter in Smash, I'm gonna scream no matter what.

But think about it this way too. IF Isaac is the next character to get revealed, we'll have A WHOLE lot more people getting excited and going wild with reactions because he'd be further evidence of the Grinch leak being true, meaning even Gino fans, Banjo fans, etc would be going nuts for Golden Boy during a CG trailer. This would've only happened because of this leak (assuming it's true).

Another scenario is that the leak is not on the spot and we get, say, Incineroar next, and we're back to doubting. And then Isaac gets revealed. Surprise!

And then there is the worse case scenario where dreams don't come true. :(

Regardless, nothings confirmed, and for that reason I don't think the excitement and hype for a potential reveal of Isaac in Smash is gone. And even if his reveal gets saved for last out of this bunch being confirmed, I'm still gonna be on the edge of my seat until "Isaac joins the battle" is official.

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
2014: "The ESRB leak obviously can't be real because Wario's eye is shoddily done and Shulk is a photoshopped Little Mac!"

2018: "The Grinch leak obviously can't be real because the background is shoddily done and Banjo is a photoshopped Smashified Banjo!"

Some things never change...

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
Well just to add my two cents. I did watch Artsy Omni's video and some other videos regarding the background. The points he made about it were about the very distinct cloud formations, purple crystals, the waterfall, and the castle that hasn't shown up in the background of the Grinch Leak. There was also a crystal that shows up between Cloud and another character that shows through a gap in the most recent official banner art. Then he compared it to the Leak image and the distinct color didn't show through. I can see where he comes from and I won't lie that sort of evidence can be pretty daunting. Though I can't help but think of when I've used the snap chat video functions I can see a noticeable difference when I moved the camera and it would blur and wouldn't be that great of a quality when not focusing.

Also the image we see at the bottom was pieced together from the video apparently. That makes me wonder if someone did take more screenshots of the video what angles they must've taken and tried to piece it together. Though I wonder exactly which discord this even came from or did someone just say they got it from a discord and post it to 4chan. Well despite all my doubts I'm about closer to 50/50 than anything. Yet I want it to be real for Isaac. I also tried looking into the "Growth Psynergy" from Wendy's video by myself, but looking really closely at these things makes me feel nuts when I come to certain conclusions. Plus Growth Psynergy is my profile pic go figure.

Either way I want Isaac still and I'll be disappointed all the same if he wasn't in, but I still support him deep down. The Rathalos tweet didn't get me talking, but this leak definitely does spark something strange.
The problem is, the kind of details lost in Snapchat video compression aren't the large details missing in the leak (the castle, waterfalls, and crystals). Perhaps the way it was clipped together explains some of the discrepancies in the areas where it was put together, but how does it explain the missing/changed clouds and waterfalls on the edges of the map where, coincidentally, characters were always covering?
I despise the proposition of box theory being all we get, and I want nothing more than for this leak to be true.. But with the evidence Omni presented I just can't believe it anymore.

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
And I think Flynn.Scifo Flynn.Scifo mentioned this but the way that guy revealed everything like the whole cursing and not giving any f's, it's hard to imagine that someone like that would be able to think all of that through. Cause if it's fake than wow, I have never been fooled that much in a long time. So I am rly praying that the leak truly revealed the final roster. Not only for Isaac's sake but for every one else's since it has so many fan favorites in it.
Yup that's what I said, I'd even go further now to say that the amount of stuff falling into place is just so huge. The number of characters filling the roster square perfectly, their credibility as newcomers, the on point sakurai-ish never seen before renders, the grinch, the guy's job, I think the blog theory fits too and I'm forgetting so many more ... I can't believe just one random jerk thought all this through for everything to match perfectly without us finding a decisive flaw.

That's what makes it credible I think, it just fits very well.

Now if this is indeed fake ... I'm impressed.

Edit : Also 5 newcomers = 5 more new stages = CoroCoro 108 stages slip of the tongue. It fits again.

Last edited:

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
I'd give up my entire right leg for this leak to be true. Who neess running when you have Growth Psynergy to carry you along anyway

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
The problem is, the kind of details lost in Snapchat video compression aren't the large details missing in the leak (the castle, waterfalls, and crystals). Perhaps the way it was clipped together explains some of the discrepancies in the areas where it was put together, but how does it explain the missing/changed clouds and waterfalls on the edges of the map where, coincidentally, characters were always covering?
I despise the proposition of box theory being all we get, and I want nothing more than for this leak to be true.. But with the evidence Omni presented I just can't believe it anymore.
Those are the exact details missing. We have literally gotten evidence that if you add just a bit of noise, it matches up perfectly.

Top Bottom