• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Tiymako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tiymako
3DS FC
3969-4335-6560
Switch FC
4983-0183-9411
Debating to keep people entertained, eh? I'll bite.

Garet is the most deserving of being Golden Sun's Smash rep.

Have at me; I'll let the opposition go first
Naw, I won't at you. Cause Garet is worthy. :D

KMDP

Smash Legend
About smartphones, couldn't it just be due to the switch using smart phones as part of their online? Might be more than that, but that's my assumption, which leads me back to Isaac being in Smash.

-

As for what they can do Golden Sun-wise, continue have it be similar to how it is now. But also, increase the amount of world interractiveness, increase the amount of puzzle solving. I honestly think golden sun has an amazing niche in being a combination puzzle solver RPG.

Have sections with split paths where the group has to split up (but make it possible to determine what psynergy is needed for what path so you can choose who goes down which path)

Have objects in the world that if you mess with them, can either negatively or positively impact the world, thus making it easier or harder depending. Like moving a pillar that happens to be the only support for this one path, for instance.

Have a game that focuses on before the sealing. Have a game that takes place inbetween 2 and 3, where the world is adjusting to the major changes. And naturally, finish up the series at present so the giant to be continued sign of dark dawn finally gets completed. Oy.
In a remake, I want a proper 3D version of Golden Sun, as in "keep the locales generally the same, just in 3D".

Also keep the turn-based battle system.

Last edited:

Q-Long

Smash Lord
I would also love a remake a Golden Sun, maybe combine the original two as they had intended.

Spice up the dungeons, especially the caves. Also I always wish they expanded more on the cultures the characters visited in golden sun. Places like xian or contigo and more always felt like they should be bigger.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
I'd hope a Golden Sun remake/remaster keeps the game mostly the same. A lot of its quirks are what make it memorable: the slow pace, relatively easy difficulty, tons of dialogue, small but tightly designed towns, heavy emphasis on puzzles, flexible djinn/psynergy system, and of course that camera angle. There's nothing else quite like it out there and I'd hope any revival of the series keeps a lot of those elements that made it so good in the first place.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Because he’s purple and mean.
No because despite EVEN after being shown as an assist trophy. People STILL clamors for him. I mean at least when other characters had been deconfirmed the fans end up stopping. Heck not even Shovel Knight fans are this persistent.

Waluigi fans...

Wait until the next game to get your chance.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
501 pages now, huh? Let's see that means my first post in this thread was, yep, 500 pages ago. It's been a long time.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
For the memes, "I'm your Venus!"
Dang it! Now you got that stuck in my head. But it did make me think of this:

Isaac (to Jenna): I'm your Venus!
Jenna (to Isaac): I'm your Fire!
Both: At your desire! <3

The whole phone thing has got me thinking. As a few mentioned, they could have the app connect to Smash. Well, what if that blurred out icon on the right dashboard of the main menu did something like that? I don't think anyone talks about that icon nor have figured out what it is.

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
I was looking at the Smash website and found this picture.
Then I thought about how cool it would be to see a similar image with Isaac and Solgaleo. This wait may be difficult, but it is always fun to imagine.

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
I just got unlocked Pac-Land in SSB4.

Smash Tour's really boring.

All I can say otherwise is...

Anyone up for a game of Fox Only, No Items, Pac-Land Smash Bros?

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
Do you guys think people debating about characters even has any bearing on the chance they have?

Like obviously a huge number of factors are put into the content that goes into smash, not just one element: popularity, how they compliment the cast, importance, character design, secondary things they bring like stages and music, fan support on the internet, game sales, etc.

But like do you think debating about Isaac's chances with someone even has a chance of changing anything as opposed to just supporting him and Golden Sun?
the cast gets decided before anything so no. the debates are mostly pointless either someone's in or they aren't we really have no way of knowing sadly. all we can do at this point is hope he got high enough on that ballot. :/
The main cast sure, but we still don’t know the inner workings of DLC. Truth is, we don’t know. We don’t know if the sudden spike of Golden Sun interest right now will amount to anything. But it doesn’t hurt to talk anyway.

Rethuic

Smash Apprentice
I was looking at the Smash website and found this picture.
Then I thought about how cool it would be to see a similar image with Isaac and Solgaleo. This wait may be difficult, but it is always fun to imagine.
I would love to see Isaac next to Solgaleo. It fits for so many reasons. 1. Solgaleo is the sun legendary, of course 2. Solgaleo is based on the Alchemical Lion, which eats the sun and represents the purification of metals 3. It would probably be Isaac's favorite legendary, let's be honest.

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
The main cast sure, but we still don’t know the inner workings of DLC. Truth is, we don’t know. We don’t know if the sudden spike of Golden Sun interest right now will amount to anything. But it doesn’t hurt to talk anyway.
How much talk about Golden Sun was there in the first few Smash 4 years?

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
I remember there being discussions here and there, one being a smash 4 texture leak where people supposedly claimed had Isaac's signature colors in it and a few other ones like in gamefaqs.

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
Set your sights higher. DLC is possibly influenced by debating/discussion but, these discussions also provide buzz around a character/series. I cannot promise anything but, when people raise their voices they will be heard. How long it takes for their demands to be met may vary but, a large vocal community (like the Smash community) will eventually be answered.
Edit: What I mean is, while we cannot be sure Isaac will ever be in this game, Sakurai/Nintendo will have to give us some kind of answer if we keep pushing. Ultimately it is up to Sakurai/Nintendo when it comes to acknowledging this spike in interest for the series. We could have an answer in a few months or 10 years (nobody knows when).

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Isaac talk on Smashboards at a minimum was quite popular (at least top 10 I'd say), although he was always behind the likes of Ridley, K. Rool, and Roy pre-DLC in particular, along with other notable fanbases like Ashley and Takamaru. I wasn't super active on the Isaac thread so I'm not sure about the particulars, although I know there was a lot of enthusiasm around the ballot since it was a strong opportunity to push his candidacy while Golden Sun itself was not an active series. Now, of course, the fanbase has grown even more as most of the notable competition has been (de)confirmed while we've gotten clear signals that the ballot push mattered, which is why Isaac is able to command the biggest thread among potential newcomers right now.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Happy 500+ Pages to all us Adepts! We've certainly come a long way since June 13 with the reveal for Ultimate, and now we're one of the biggest support threads on this side of Smashboards! I don't exactly keep 100% up to speed nowadays because of uni commitments, but I'm always gonna cheer for the future of Golden Sun, and Isaac in Smash Bros!

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
It took me even longer, but here is my take on Isaac's moveset: https://imgur.com/a/iMPWqpA

-Isaac would have excellent ground speed, high gravity/falling speed, and below average air speed/acceleration and jump height, due to being Earth-based; a bit of these properties were inspired from a video I can't remember.
-I've seen Retreat as an Up Special, but it works for the entrance, could look pretty.
-Standard combat stance from Golden Sun, we don't know for sure what weapon would he bring, so I just drew a stick sword as a placeholder.
-Why clap with your own hands when you have Psynergy?
-The original plan was to not use Ike's jab, but it works well with a 2-hand sword, jab 3 is weaker but overall faster than Ike's.
-Kirby's Leaf ability can grow a vine upwards, and Sakurai has used Kirby abilities for inspiration in the past, fast and good for combos.
-FTilt's thrust already comes with good range, improved further by taking a step forward at the start, reliable late killmove.
-DTilt had many changes, but I couldn't miss on Quake, so here it is, it has good horizontal range, and does adapt to terrain and ledges; it can combo into UTilt/USmash at low %s and has very high knockback growth.
-The critical hit animation is a must, and fits best on Dash Attack (Link has a similar DA in SSB4), comes with the GBA sound effect.
-I wanted to represent the many features of GS on Isaac's moveset, so why not have a Venus Djinn (Flint, perhaps?) to come along?
-FAir is a single hit projectile while BAir is a double hit (with less power on each star).
-UAir could've been an arc like the ones with legs or FE Swords for juggling, but a kill move fits Isaac better, first there's a lunge where the torso-weapon distance increases, and then Blast is casted from the tip because at the time I forgot about unleashes LOL, but that can be changed.
-DAir works like the Belmont's, but instead of spiking it's combo oriented, his best aerial.
-For Smash Attacks it was a hard choice for most. FSmash is Odyssey, the first hit locks the opponent and the second launches, it can't be angled, and is slightly shorter than Shulk's FSmash.
-7 Grand Dad Gaia is like Palutena's USmash, but it trades a third of the vertical height for a little more speed and power (multihit).
-DSmash could've been Quake, but I really wanted to put Ragnarok somewhere, so I made DSmash Ragnarok on both directions, the hitboxes start at Isaac's height and below. The tip goes through ledges.
-The Grab game is pretty standard, but it Catch shouldn't have a blind spot in front of Isaac, Lift is a kill throw and DThrow burries like R.O.B.'s does now, I even came up with an idea for what difference to give Felix if was to become his Echo Fighter.
-Now to special moves, Spire can be tapped up to 3 times in a row without end lag, one dropping in front of the last one, decent vertical range, but cannot spike.
-Move is also a must for Isaac's moveset (thanks Brawl), it goes shorter than Brawl's and is a damaging projectile now. You don't have to take the extra inputs idea from SSF2 Isaac.
-Now for the Up Special I didn't want to use Retreat, so I looked up for a list of Venus Psynergy because I've only played GS1 for now (I'm playing it again to transfer stuff into TLA once I start it) and found Fire/Fear Puppet, it looks like bit edgy but I think it works, but instead of the skull going back to Isaac, he goes to it before entering helpess state. It is also a command grab.
-It's funny how I wanted to put Megiddo somewhere but forgot about other unleashes, it charges the sword until the whole blade goes red (the charge can be stored) which takes more time than your average chargable stored special; when uncharged/not fully charged it does a Braver/Cloud FAir - like move that spikes just like it, the amount charged does not matter unless it's full charge, and when it is Isaac performs the best spike in the game (high damage and range, and most importantly it spikes for the whole duration) in front of him, the projectile's hitbox is Full Charge Shot-sized and starts from exactly above his head.
-Then everyone know he should summon Judgement for his FS (It's a capture type for balance's sake) and then I have ideas for things that could be Taunts or Victory Animations, including the "No" face and a rose for you shippers.

Last edited:

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
Isaac talk on Smashboards at a minimum was quite popular (at least top 10 I'd say), although he was always behind the likes of Ridley, K. Rool, and Roy pre-DLC in particular, along with other notable fanbases like Ashley and Takamaru. I wasn't super active on the Isaac thread so I'm not sure about the particulars, although I know there was a lot of enthusiasm around the ballot since it was a strong opportunity to push his candidacy while Golden Sun itself was not an active series. Now, of course, the fanbase has grown even more as most of the notable competition has been (de)confirmed while we've gotten clear signals that the ballot push mattered, which is why Isaac is able to command the biggest thread among potential newcomers right now.
Even Takamaru's too? lol

ZelDan

Smash Master
It took me even longer, but here is my take on Isaac's moveset: https://imgur.com/a/iMPWqpA

-Isaac would have excellent ground speed, high gravity/falling speed, and below average air speed/acceleration and jump height, due to being Earth-based; a bit of these properties were inspired from a video I can't remember.
-I've seen Retreat as an Up Special, but it works for the entrance, could be pretty.
-Standard combat stance from Golden Sun, we don't know for sure what weapon would he bring, so I just drew a stick as a placeholder.
-Why clap with your own hands when you have psynergy?
-The original plan was to not use Ike's jab, but it works well with a 2-hand sword, jab 3 is weaker but faster than Ike's.
-Kirby's Leaf ability can grow a vine upwards, and Sakurai has used Kirby abilities for inspiration in the past, good for combos.
-FTilt's thrust already comes with good range, improved further by taking a step forward at the start, reliable late killmove.
-DTilt had many changes, but I couldn't miss on Quake, so here it is, it has good horizontal range, dan does adapt to terrain and ledges, can combo into UTilt or maybe even USmash at low %s.
-The critical hit animation is a must, and fits best on Dash Attack (Link has a similar DA in SSB4), comes with the GBA sound effect.
-I wanted to represent the many features of GS on Isaac's moveset, and why not have a Venus Djinn (Flint, perhaps?) to come along?
-FAir is a single hit projectile while BAir is a double hit (with less power on each star).
-UAir could've been an arc like the ones with legs ore FE Swords for juggling, but a killmove fits Isaac better, first there's a lunge where the torso-weapon distance increases, and then Blast is casted from the tip because at the time I forgot about unleashes LOL, but that can be changed.
-DAir works like the Belmont's, but instead of spiking it's combo oriented, his best aerial.
-For Smash Attacks it was a hard choice for most. FSmash is Odyssey, the first hit locks the opponent and the second launches, it can't be angled, and is slightly shorter than Shulk's FSmash.
-7 Grand Dad Gaia is like Palutena's USmash, but it trades half of the vertical height for a little more speed and considerable power.
-DSmash could've been Quake, but I really wanted to put Raganarok somewhere, so I made DSmash Ragnarok on both directions, the hitboxes start at Isaac's height and below.
-The Grab game is pretty standard, but it Catch shouldn't have a blind spot in front of Isaac, and yes, DThrow burries like R.O.B.'s does now, I even came up with an idea for what difference to give Felix if was to become his Echo Fighter.
-Now to special moves, Spire can be tapped up to 3 times in a row without endlag, one dropping in front of the last one, cannot spike.
-Move is also a must for Isaac's moveset (thanks Brawl), it goes shorter than Brawl's and is a damaging projectile now. You don't have to take the extra inputs idea from SSF2 Isaac.
-Now for the Up Special I didn't want to use Retreat, so I looked up for a list of Venus Psynergy because I've only played GS1 for now (I'm playing it again to transfer stuff into TLA once I start it) and found Fire/Fear Puppet, it looks like bit edgy but I think it works, but instead of the skull going back to Isaac, he goes to it before entering helpess state.
-It's funny how I wanted to put Megiddo somewhere but forgot about other unleashes, it charges the sword until the whole blade goes red (the charge can be stored) which takes more time than your average chargable stored special; when uncharged/not fully charged it does a Braver/Cloud FAir - like move that spikes just like it, the amount charged does not matter unless it's full charge, and when it is Isaac performs the best spike in the game in front of him, the "projectile"'s hitbox is Full Charge Shot-sized and starts from exactly avobe his head.
-Then everyone know he should summon Judgement for his FS and then I have ideas for things that could be Taunts or Victory Animations.
Heh, I do like the idea of Isaac using his hands to clap as he pouts if he loses.

tveye

Smash Journeyman
Monk3.png

Someone else used this same scene earlier for a meme (I'm sorry, I can't remember who it was. This thread is so huge!), I thought it was pretty exploitable so I made this, lol.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
This is officially the biggest Isaac thread on Smashboards. Yay! Let's keep the momentum going
I've spent a couple hours trying to figure out this stuff but without a page to translate from I'm pretty much hosed. Unfamiliar with using Japan's trademark site to look things up that way so uh

send help

I do agree that it would be interesting if we can get the Wrecking Crew or Rhythm Heaven version. Since Golden Sun's trademark was refreshed in 2017 iirc I would assume that there's several differences.
If there aren't, that's even more shocking. I can't imagine Wrecking Crew needing trademark protection for mobile, so clearly something would be up
I assume Wrecking Crew received a trademark also because it may get an Arcade Archives release on the Switch. Punch Out's trademark was renewed around the same time the Arcare Archives for that game was released

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Even Takamaru's too? lol
This was pre-release: people latched onto him as the obligatory retro newcomer for various reasons. It's one of the more artificial fanbases to appear, kind of like Chorus Kids with the Gematsu leak and more recently Skull Kid due to rampant speculation over the moon AT.

Last edited:

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
So I have been slightly ausent from the thread these last couple of days but congrats everyone on 500+ pages! I feel so happy to be apart of this group and that we can discuss and theorize and always love Isaac and Golden sun

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
This was pre-release: people latched onto him as the obligatory retro newcomer for various reasons. It's one of the more artificial fanbases to appear, kind of like Chorus Kids with the Gematsu leak and more recently Skull Kid due to rampant speculation over the moon AT.
Even if some people latched onto characters that may or may not have been for a totally good reason it's kind of rude to call fanbases artificial. For instance I was a huge Takamaru supporter. Why? Because I love Samurai. I adore them. So when I found out Nintendo had one I supported the hell out of him and the only reason I thought he ever had a chance was because he was Retro. On the other hand I've always loved the idea of Skull Kid but I never thought he was possible so I never actively supported him, the "leaks" happened and I got super excited about the possibility because he was, well, a possibility.

I mean, sure, those characters may have not gotten my genuine support from my love for them as characters but I wouldn't call my support for them artificial. It's not as prideful as my support for Isaac but I know a few friends on here did have the same support for Takamaru as I do with Isaac. Artificial I don't think is the right word.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
We made it 500 pages already? Crazy. I'm so ready for Isaac's confirmation any day now.

BTW is there anyone in this thread actually named Isaac? Because that would be neat.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Even if some people latched onto characters that may or may not have been for a totally good reason it's kind of rude to call fanbases artificial. For instance I was a huge Takamaru supporter. Why? Because I love Samurai. I adore them. So when I found out Nintendo had one I supported the hell out of him and the only reason I thought he ever had a chance was because he was Retro. On the other hand I've always loved the idea of Skull Kid but I never thought he was possible so I never actively supported him, the "leaks" happened and I got super excited about the possibility because he was, well, a possibility.

I mean, sure, those characters may have not gotten my genuine support from my love for them as characters but I wouldn't call my support for them artificial. It's not as prideful as my support for Isaac but I know a few friends on here did have the same support for Takamaru as I do with Isaac. Artificial I don't think is the right word.
I don't mean to imply the enthusiasm for such characters isn't genuine: all three of my stated cases potentially make for great characters, and I think it's great that Takamaru in particular has gotten so much attention thanks to Smash. I simply mean that their origins as popular Smash fan choices all came less from existing popularity and more that they seemed highly plausible, even leaked candidates, pushing them into the limelight and finding a lot of new supporters in the process. Maybe "artificial" is harsh, but it feels accurate compared to many more fan favorites who arose simply due to innate popularity of the characters and/or series. It doesn't make one or the other more or less legitimate, but I do find it interesting as a part of Smash community history to track how these things happen.

Last edited:

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
Not nearly as much as right now, I can assure you of that.

Isaac’s fan base has always been suprsingly large, if a bit quiet. He’s always being talked about amongst the GS fan base during Smash Speculation. But it wasn’t until we realized that his AT was cut from Sm4sh with no other GS representation aside from a song ripped from Dark Dawn that we cried out a bit. But it wasn’t really until the Ballot was announced that we really stirred things up.

Support for Isaac was consistent. Even YouTubers put Isaac in top 10s for future smash characters. He was, as I put it, strangely consistent in top 10s and polls. Never beating out the likes of Ridley or K Rool, but definitely right next to Geno and Dee (although Dees fan base has skyrocketed as of late thanks to Star Allies). Support for Isaac has always been here, but now it’s on a whole nother level. And I love it.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I don't mean to imply the enthusiasm for such characters isn't genuine: all three of my stated cases potentially make for great characters, and I think it's great that Takamaru in particular has gotten so much attention thanks to Smash. I simply mean that their origins as popular Smash fan choices all came less from existing popularity and more that they seemed highly plausible, even leaked candidates, pushing them into the limelight and finding a lot of new supporters in the process. Maybe "artificial" is harsh, but it feels accurate compared to many more fan favorites who arose simply due to innate popularity of the characters and/or series. It doesn't make one or the other more or less legitimate, but I do find it interesting as a part of Smash community history to track how these things happen.
I think this concept is accurate, but I don't think it's bad.

I mean, one of the things we want from Isaac is Smash is to revitalize Golden Sun as a series.

What is this bandwagon fandom except proof that Smash can do EXACTLY THAT?

Even Takamaru getting talked about getting in brought so much more attention to him and his game. If he actually got in, so many people who had never heard of him before would be interested, and it would be a fantastic chance for someone to take over the IP and bring a new game out (like Sakurai did with Kid Icarus).

I never got to play a Custom Robo game, but I supported Ray because he looked cool, and I only know about him because Smash brought him up. And I wanted his series to get a revival so I could try it (honestly, I wasn't aware back when it was active that it had received English localizations).

Yes, Smash brings characters to the forefront who have dwelled in shadow. But (most of) the fans who notice those characters and latch on to them don't just do it because it's what's popular. They do it because they're interesting and great characters that they want to see more of.

Just like how big Isaac's popularity has gotten as he becomes more and more prominent in speculation.

Top Bottom