• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Everyone is so fixed on Steve and Incineroar being in based on rumors and nothing more. Vergeben has said that he gets his info from someone else who also shares the same info with other leakers. How are any of us to know if this third party knows what they’re talking about?
It’s like how the Gematsu leaker knew some things but flubbed up on others, damaging his credibility.
Yeah there is really no evidence to either of them besides the Verg and they seem like such odd picks. Decidueye is infinitely more popular than Incineroar and quite frankly much better designed. Steve is not requested at all.

It also seems weird to start out with popular newcomers like Inkling, Ridley, Simon, K. Rool, and Isabelle with a clear enphasis on popularity. But then have Steve and Incineroar.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
I'd say the unique mechanics of every character being a mage, the puzzles based on magic and the class-system. They could totally change the way combat works and still have it be a golden sun. Make it a tactical ala FF tactics, it could work. Though we'd lost world/dungeon exploration, but puzzles could be part of a battle, and lead to interresting strategies.
You can make it real time ala xenoblade it would also work.
Or you stay very classic but I don't think it'd be good. All successful jrpg of the past few years renewed the battle system of this genra (especially Octopath and Bravely with their boost system etc, Golden Sun would need a way to do that, without copying it.)

(or give us a freakin mmo with modular classes based on your djinns)
I would play the living heck out of Golden Sun Tactics game. :O

EDIT: Heck, I'd love a Golden Sun title to be done similarly to the Suikoden Series. That'd be my dream game for sure.

Last edited:

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
Just like any RPG that has survived to this day, there usually exists a path that they can evolve if given the resources to do so; i.e. a talented development team and adequate budget and time. Golden Sun just has that ability to evolve more than most based on where it laid its foundations in the first two games. Seriously, if you ranked it, I'd give Golden Sun an S for potential to evolve whereas I'd give Final Fantasy something like a solid A to A- from where it began. Many RPGs can't even crack into getting a B which is why most have died off. They might be good games, but their systems are hard to improve without reinventing the wheel itself.

You really don't have to change up the formula a whole lot with Golden Sun in terms of just being turn-based combat. Nowadays it gets a bad stigma, but it's not something that is bound to fail. One only has to look at the recent successes of Dragon Quest XI, Octopath Traveler and Persona 5 to see that people still love that traditional RPG battle system. The puzzling elements and how they tie in with everything else is just unrivaled. Imagine a full 3D Golden Sun that took advantage of a developer team that was really good at crafting puzzling elements based on new psynergy.

Dark Dawn was actually headed in the right direction in some of these aspects that are mulled over because of other game elements. But they seriously improved on the interface with unique looking weapons that had mastery associated with them, unique looking djinn, new ideas for some puzzles. A youtuber put it really well, but we take it granted how revolutionary the Move psynergy is in puzzling. Imagine any box moving puzzle you've ever done in any game ever. Usually you reach a point where you get it stuck in a corner somehow and have to reset the entire puzzle by leaving the entire area. Move was not only just a simple way to interact with the puzzles, but make the puzzles less hassling and more immersive. No frustration, just full thinking on how to solve stuff. It's so intuitive that you don't even think about it when you play Golden Sun.

It's a series that remains an untapped well, plain and simple

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
I'm drawing an Isaac moveset right now, it should be done in 1-2 hours.

And just because we're at page 499 doesn't mean we should post unmeaningful stuff just to reach 500.

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Besides the Golden Sun Trademark I have a question for you all. (Don't worry I will try to go back to the trademark thing, but there is not that much left to discuss).

If a new Golden Sun game is in the works, what direction should the franchise go while moving forward?

Nintendo wants more franchise success as we have seen so much DLC for the Fire Emblem franchise. Especially with the success of Xenoblade, Animal Crossing, Splatoon and Fire Emblem itself.

There had to be something that drew Golden Sun to be a hit when it debuted and still is held fondly (as we are the evidence of it) by many fans today.

Now, I am not saying this to be a detractor, but if someone asked you what sets Golden Sun apart from the many different RPG series that exist today what would tell them? There had to be something that sets Golden Sun apart because something had to be there to draw us in.

Add to that what Nintendo should focus on when Golden Sun is being remade and being revived.
I actually am really against Golden Sun changing a lot if it ever returns. I've discovered that while I love turn-based RPGs, I hate real-time RPGs like Xenoblade or FFXV, so doing that would be a no-go. I just want a turn-based Nintendo RPG that isn't ****in Pokemon, man! I'd say they just need to focus on making the game more balanced, like removing the need to grind without the game being easy, and updating the visuals to look stunning. I am 100% on board with this cel-shaded idea we seem to have here.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
I actually am really against Golden Sun changing a lot if it ever returns. I've discovered that while I love turn-based RPGs, I hate real-time RPGs like Xenoblade or FFXV, so doing that would be a no-go. I just want a turn-based Nintendo RPG that isn't ****in Pokemon, man! I'd say they just need to focus on making the game more balanced, like removing the need to grind without the game being easy, and updating the visuals to look stunning. I am 100% on board with this cel-shaded idea we seem to have here.
What about Mario & Luigi?

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
Besides the Golden Sun Trademark I have a question for you all. (Don't worry I will try to go back to the trademark thing, but there is not that much left to discuss).

If a new Golden Sun game is in the works, what direction should the franchise go while moving forward?

Nintendo wants more franchise success as we have seen so much DLC for the Fire Emblem franchise. Especially with the success of Xenoblade, Animal Crossing, Splatoon and Fire Emblem itself.

There had to be something that drew Golden Sun to be a hit when it debuted and still is held fondly (as we are the evidence of it) by many fans today.

Now, I am not saying this to be a detractor, but if someone asked you what sets Golden Sun apart from the many different RPG series that exist today what would tell them? There had to be something that sets Golden Sun apart because something had to be there to draw us in.

Add to that what Nintendo should focus on when Golden Sun is being remade and being revived.
First things first, I’d want a remake. Not a rerelease. A full blown remake. We need new blood. So let’s start over, essentially. 1+2 should be made into a single game. And then maybe Dark Dawn and it’s sequel be made into another.

What sets Golden Sun apart from other RPGs is two things for me(and this is a very specific thing to me, others may disagree). It’s not the battle system. It’s not the Djinni. It’s not the Psynergy or the Summons or the story. Two things.

1. The World

2. The People

Golden Sun just feels like a living world. It’s hard to put it into words. And the characters don’t feel like cut outs, they act like people. They can be silly sometimes and they can be serious sometimes.

I remember reading something on this thread and I wanted to respond to it, but I was at work. It was a brief discussion on how Dark Dawn had better characters than GS 1+2 because the main party all felt the same.

I disagree. Each character has their own quirks, but they’re not exaggerated, unlike Dark Dawn.

Take Garet and Tyrell, for example. They are very similar... but while Garet is indeed a silly clutz, he’s not an exaggerated one, so his quirk isn’t as infuriating to me as Tyrell’s. Garet has more depth than Tryell by simply feeling like a real human being instead of a trope. A lot of the characters are like this. It helps hay in GS 1+2 you acquire your entire party relatively early on so you get to see how they react to the story as it unfolds, whereas Dark Dawn is hindered by the fact that it has to spread 5 characters (because you get 3 right off the bat, essentially) out over the course of the play through.

This, however, is merely my opinion on it. Keep in mind I don’t hate Dark Dawns characters, with the exception of Tyrell, he can die in a fire... for all the good that’ll do, I just don’t feel that strongly about them. Especially since Mathew is literally a plank of wood. At least Felix could talk in GS1 and Isaac in GS2 and Dark Dawn.

But beyond that it’s the side characters too. I remember the side characters of Golden Sun better than most of the Gym Leaders in Pokemon. I mean geez.

As for what Nintendo should focus on when it comes to a remake? Just fix plot holes, and spruce up the dialogue, either that or give the ability to speed up/skip entire dialogue sections.

The battle system doesn’t really need to change. Maybe touch on the class system a little bit. Have difficulty options when starting a new game.

Other than obviously receiving a new coat of paint and what I listed above, I don’t see much else they’d need to change.

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
I'm commenting here so we can reach 500 posts.
I'm hoping we get a smash direct announced soon, the wait is so slow...

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Crazy that we got Isabelle only ten days ago. Feels way longer.

I think October makes the most sense timing-wise, as June and August were the other big information dumps. I really doubt they'd make us wait all the way from August to November with only Isabelle. They'd also want to avoid leaks which are much likelier in November.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
I think we are getting one Direct or other announcement in October and then info on the modes/online and another reveal on November

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
I feel like the smash direct will be the first two weeks of October, then the massive smash dump happens not long before Black Friday in November.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
I think we are getting one Direct or other announcement in October and then info on the modes/online and another reveal on November
We all agree that SOMETHING will happen in October, the only question is when. I believe that the early-mid October is the target window for a new announcement on Smash as it would line up with the other times we have gotten info on the game.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Seriously, anything can happen at this point. October seems like the most logical date to have a Smash Direct then. When (and if) Isaac is revealed then, I'm going to be super excited for his amiibo! That will be the fastest purchase I will ever make in my life. Basically, "STFU and take ALL my money now!!!"

Also, I've been wanting to mention something about Steve real quick. IF he is a PC, then part of the reason he is was because of the ballot. With over 1 million votes, I can bet that a good portion of the votes went to Steve because almost every kid and their grandma probably voted him at the time since anybody could vote for anyone then. We may have a rough estimate on what people voted via the exit polls, but it covered maybe half of the ballot. And Minecraft was huge around 2015 last I remember. I saw it everywhere then.

Edit: Of course, that's just a feeling I have. So, most likely I'm wrong on that. But I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Golden Sun shouldn’t change genre, it should stay as a turn based RPG. We really need more of those, and Persona 5, Octopath Traveler and DQ11 prove there’s a hunger for those.

Edit:
Seriously, anything can happen at this point. October seems like the most logical date to have a Smash Direct then. When (and if) Isaac is revealed then, I'm going to be super excited for his amiibo! That will be the fastest purchase I will ever make in my life. Basically, "STFU and take ALL my money now!!!"

Also, I've been wanting to mention something about Steve real quick. IF he is a PC, then part of the reason he is was because of the ballot. With over 1 million votes, I can bet that a good portion of the votes went to Steve because almost every kid and their grandma probably voted him at the time since anybody could vote for anyone then. We may have a rough estimate on what people voted via the exit polls, but it covered maybe half of the ballot. And Minecraft was huge around 2015 last I remember. I saw it everywhere then.
With 1.8 million votes, I doubt many casuals voted in the ballot.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Golden Sun shouldn’t change genre, it should stay as a turn based RPG. We really need more of those, and Persona 5, Octopath Traveler and DQ11 prove there’s a hunger for those.
That is what I mean. Just imagine Golden Sun being Nintendo's Dragon Quest. That would give Golden Sun an edge where other Nintendo franchises cannot. Golden Sun has the overworld puzzles and Djinn party customization system that stands out amongst other RPGs.

Pokemon may be an RPG, but it popularized the Monster catching genre of RPGs. Golden Sun and Pokemon would be for entirely different markets.

And with Traditional Old School RPGs getting smaller and smaller the impact of Golden Sun arriving on the scene would make a much larger impact. I just hope Nintendo realizes this and capitalizes on this opportunity.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
That is what I mean. Just imagine Golden Sun being Nintendo's Dragon Quest. That would give Golden Sun an edge where other Nintendo franchises cannot. Golden Sun has the overworld puzzles and Djinn party customization system that stands out amongst other RPGs.

Pokemon may be an RPG, but it popularized the Monster catching genre of RPGs. Golden Sun and Pokemon would be for entirely different markets.

And with Traditional Old School RPGs getting smaller and smaller the impact of Golden Sun arriving on the scene would make a much larger impact. I just hope Nintendo realizes this and capitalizes on this opportunity.
I just hope Nintendo realizes we want Isaac in Smash, everything else is gravy lol

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Almost. There's 50 posts per page, yeah?

Back on topic, I'm just so excited for Isaac's potential inclusion in this game.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Still very hopeful of Isaac. But there sure has been some crazy credible leaks floating around. At this point I feel like the biggest potential upset would be the lack of Geno after all the emphasis Sakurai put on him. Not to say he isn't going to make it or anything. But it seems like we are all getting to that point where the characters we all think are going to make it are in a dead zone, or slowly getting deconfirmed one by one.

Not really sure what else I can contribute to all this other than Isaac still being one of my top picks.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I just hope Nintendo realizes we want Isaac in Smash, everything else is gravy lol
I bet they do. Sakurai teased Ratholos' picture like a Golden Sun battle scene.

But just think about our situation.

The hunger for classic turn based RPGs is high and many current developers don't have the franchises to compete. Smash brothers is around the corner and is a huge way to get a series name out to the masses.

Golden Sun is already a series that gamers are familiar with because of Smash Brothers, so Nintendo does not need to birth a new IP. Nintendo's current developers have given us:
  • Beautiful cel shaded graphics - Breath of the Wild
  • Massive Open Worlds - Xenoblade Series
  • Awesome overworld puzzles and Djinn customization system - Current day Camelot
Just put the Takahasi brothers in charge of the reboots direction and gather all these teams together to sky rocket Golden Sun back into popularity.
Nintendo would not need to invent a new gimmick as using Psynergy on the overworld is the gimmick itself that other RPG franchises have never done.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
If we do get a Golden Sun 1+2 remake, what do you guys think that should change about the game?

I’d love to tie in some of the stuff from Darin dawn to make the transition feel like a bit less of a retcon.

Plus, more Djinn are always welcome. :)

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
If we do get a Golden Sun 1+2 remake, what do you guys think that should change about the game?

I’d love to tie in some of the stuff from Darin dawn to make the transition feel like a bit less of a retcon.

Go full Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and have two separate stories, One completely following Isaac, and one completely following Felix.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525

I would think maybe they could do a game that takes place in between the first two and DD or maybe put a special epilogue at the end. I'm thinking something along the lines of the Delta Episode in the Gen 3 Remakes of Pokemon that both extends the plot, but also feels natural and answers some questions you had while playing the game.

Confirmation

Smash Ace

Be nice to know what happened between TLA and DD. Seemed like Isaac, Jenna, and Garet stayed in touch but everyone else just vanished.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, Almost. There's 50 posts per page, yeah?

Back on topic, I'm just so excited for Isaac's potential inclusion in this game.
It's actually 40 posts per page. So as of this one I'm leaving now, this thread is only 4 posts away from 500 pages.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
These recent "leaks" all seem convinced that Isaac will be revealed in a trailer that references the Rathalos screenshot. Thoughts?

Top Bottom