• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I call a Golden Sun Remake/sequel announcement this year. Around November.
Mark.
My.
Words.
I would say Feb at the earliest but 2020 is going to have XC1R and BoTW2 which is why i'm not really feeling next year for a new GS.

At best, I think we get a teaser trailer for E3 next year, a big info dump later that year, and then a release in Q1 2021.

Even that, I feel might be too wishful thinking but I hope it comes to pass. We've waited long enough for the sun to rise again.

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I would say Feb at the earliest but 2020 is going to have XC1R and BoTW2 which is why i'm not really feeling next year for a new GS.

At best, I think we get a teaser trailer for E3 next year, a big info dump later that year, and then a release in Q1 2021.

Even that, I feel might be too wishful thinking but I hope it comes to pass. We've waited long enough for the sun to rise again.
This is exactly what I think will happen. I'm betting on an E3 reveal next year along with a Smash DLC reveal.

Tetiro

Smash Ace

That would be very good. Then again, most of the Nintendo IPs this generation have sold very well. It is Nintendo spear-heading the marketing campaign that has done it.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Before XC1R was revealed, I thought Golden Sun would be the big RPG, but now I'm feeling more of a 2021 date. However, it's still very possible that GS drops in 2020, although it's unlikely. XC and GS do play quite differently, and Nintendo could make 2020 something like 2017 in terms of releases, even more so if a new Mario game is announced (as I suspect it will be). It's still very possible that GS gets announced late this year and is an early release for next year, especially if Camelot has been working on it for as long as we suspect they have. Either way, I'm thinking we get some very good news within a year!

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
I really think the series could do great with a remaster/remake. The Switch is a strong enough system that we can be in 3D without having the kinda butt graphics of Dark Dawn, tweak the script up a bit... the spectacle could translate well, the gameplay is still solid, and the exploration aspects are still top notch. I'd just love to see what they could do if they took a crack at it.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Before XC1R was revealed, I thought Golden Sun would be the big RPG, but now I'm feeling more of a 2021 date. However, it's still very possible that GS drops in 2020, although it's unlikely. XC and GS do play quite differently, and Nintendo could make 2020 something like 2017 in terms of releases, even more so if a new Mario game is announced (as I suspect it will be). It's still very possible that GS gets announced late this year and is an early release for next year, especially if Camelot has been working on it for as long as we suspect they have. Either way, I'm thinking we get some very good news within a year!
I suppose the one caveat to that would be if BoTW2 ended up released in Q1 2021 in which case I could see said GS game happening in Holiday 2020. Ironically enough, a full decade after Dark Dawn.

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
I doubt the release of a new Golden Sun would have any real restrictions other than not directly overlapping with another major Nintendo release, which isn't exactly a huge restriction. Let's take this year, going by this list from Giant Bomb of Nintendo-published Switch games. If we limit it to major releases only (no digital-only or stuff like the Labo VR kit), we get:

March 29th - Yoshi's Crafted World
June 28th - Super Mario Maker 2
July 19th - Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
July 26th - Fire Emblem: Three Houses
August 30th - Astral Chain
September 13th - Daemon X Machina
September 20th - Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
October 31st - Luigi's Mansion 3
November 15th - Pokemon Sword/Shield

That's nine games, and some of those releases are very close together (see July and September). Meanwhile, here's our 2020 list so far:

Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition

...actually, that's it from what I can tell. Unconfirmed we have:

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2
Bayonetta 3
Metroid Prime 4
Pikmin
Pokemon (assumed)

Even if we assume those are all coming in 2020 (and I'd be shocked if they did), that's only seven games, and that's including the unannounced-but-inevitable new Pokemon. Given a comparable schedule to 2019, that allows for a physical Golden Sun release (when it could be digital-only) while still leaving an extra spot on the calendar for another surprise. Simply put, if there is a game ready next year, I see no reason it couldn't be released next year.

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240

Yet we have a remake of a Zelda title sandwiched in a pretty crowded Fall release schedule.

Golden Sun sadly isn't considered high-profile at this point, so I think if they're going to do a remake like LA, it could drop at any time.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What are you guys on about, Xenoblade isn't the same kind of RPG as Golden Sun, and Zelda isn't even an RPG - they could all theoretically release the same year without stepping on each others' toes. Especially since half the year is usually fairly barren.

This year the Switch has/is releasing Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Ultimate Alliance, the Mana collection, and like fifty Final Fantasies, and they're probably all finding a decent deal of success.

Also, a remake of GS is not going to be a "big" anything for Nintendo planning-wise, except maybe a big gamble. Doesn't matter what else is coming out. It's not a game you schedule other titles around, it'd be a game they either launch to alleviate a dry spell (if in the first half), or with hopefully enough breathing room to not drown in the wake of bigger games (if in the second half). Just being real. They'll promote it, but it's no centrepiece. I imagine they'd give it the same treatment as they would a new IP not created by EPD.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I guess if there's one Silver lining to GS not being "big," is that we can always expect/hope that it could drop in any kind of direct, as opposed to thinking "nah, we'll probably have to wait for E3 for anything" lol.

D

Deleted member

I'd love for a new Golden Sun game to be released no matter if it's a Remaster/Remake or a brand new game and either 2020/2021 is fine with me. Preferably 2020 though cause if they haven't decided all the Post-FP DLC Nintendo and Sakurai could've seen the disappointment people had with the Isaac Assist and upgrade him to coincide with a new GS release.

Though I do have a question and that is there anything pointing towards a new Golden Sun release? Sure they renewed the copyright which could mean something but it could also mean nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I guess if there's one Silver lining to GS not being "big," is that we can always expect/hope that it could drop in any kind of direct, as opposed to thinking "nah, we'll probably have to wait for E3 for anything" lol.
For sure, it's the kind of game that could get announced at any time. All you need to consider is when Camelot would be ready to reveal a new game. Also worth keeping in mind is that RPGs take longer to make than sports titles. Even as a remake.

So 2020 is pretty optimistic for GS. It'd work for Mario Golf, but WHO WANTS THAT.

Though I do have a question and that is there anything pointing towards a new Golden Sun release? Sure they renewed the copyright which could mean something but it could also mean nothing.

But that's never stopped us before.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
GS just needs to be promoted better I think. I don’t think any other games are really encroaching on its niche.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
In my mind the most likely Golden Sun scenario is a relatively subdued affair: remaster of the original game (no TLA), eShop only, maybe $30 price tag. I'm envisioning a release kind of like Little Town Hero, which got two brief trailers in Directs totaling about two minutes, plus a release date less than two months after that second trailer. Depending on initial reception/sales then you either let them keep working on TLA or move them on to a "safer" project like Golf. Granted, I have no real expectation of Golden Sun appearing any time soon (much like how I've given up on F-Zero ever seeing the light of day again), but it's fun to dream about, right?

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
So 2020 is pretty optimistic for GS. It'd work for Mario Golf, but WHO WANTS THAT.
I....actually, I do. Not if it's strictly an "either or" situation of course, but I've been wanting a new console Mario Golf for years.......(also Supers Sluggers don't kill me)

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Firstly, you missed Sin and Punishment. That should be before Custom Robo tbh

Second, we can't quantify which one is next, since we don't know. The best we have to quantify it is the smash ballot, which, as we know, Isaac is one of the leading factors of
Analyzing the game versus playing it... alright. I guess most speculation could fall into that death trap. I shall not let it!

As for Sin and Punishment- not on my list as it was Japanese only, and then doubly, still not that unique to me. Is Saki still an Assist Trophy?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Analyzing the game versus playing it... alright. I guess most speculation could fall into that death trap. I shall not let it!

As for Sin and Punishment- not on my list as it was Japanese only, and then doubly, still not that unique to me. Is Saki still an Assist Trophy?
Sin & Punishment isn't Japanese-only. And Saki isn't an AT in Ultimate, but he got a new Mii Costume.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I....actually, I do. Not if it's strictly an "either or" situation of course, but I've been wanting a new console Mario Golf for years.......(also Supers Sluggers don't kill me)
I'd kill for a new Mario baseball game (developed by Namco please, they killed it with Super Sluggers), but Mario Golf seems to have run its course. The one of the 3DS apparently sold like garbage, and I think a Golden Sun would please a whole lot more people than another Mario sports game.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Hmm interesting tidbit I found on the Smash wiki
"Golden Sun is the only universe without a playable character to have at least one Spirit of every class."
We are so close, so close

Also check out this Felix render by Seimax

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Man I wish we were still in the timeline where Isaac and Felix were both getting into Smash. I'd be ecstatic to have even just Isaac but it would be so wild if Felix somehow broke through.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Man I wish we were still in the timeline where Isaac and Felix were both getting into Smash. I'd be ecstatic to have even just Isaac but it would be so wild if Felix somehow broke through.
That's the timeline where the GS games released a decade later but still got the same reception, right?

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Isaac will be Ultimate DLC, Felix will be a new Echo for the next game. You can quote me on this.

One thing we can take comfort in is that it's highly unlikely that fan-demanded characters will be cut, outside of licensing issues. I'd be shocked if characters like Ridley, K. Rool, and Isaac (if he makes it) are cut next game.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman

But that's never stopped us before.
That's it. That's the whole thread.

Seriously though, we got to stop thinking of Golden Sun as this grand reveal and see that it could be announced whenever Nintendo sees fit, despite everything that has happened with our Fandom if a new GS is on the works I am betting Nintendo still wouldn't be sure on how it would perform and by no means could it get any special treatment regarding scheduling since even if demand is there they would have to see how that translates to numbers in the end. The best we can do is be ready for it to be announced whenever and if it is, to share the word around so people will actually buy it. Right now it is bodying well for us because Camelot hasn't announced anything, but we will see. Hopefully Nintendo allowed them the GS route since Mario and Sonic at the Olympics is a game they most likely want to perform great with the Tokyo 2020 coming and maybe don't want other sports games releasing near it

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Yeah hopefully there is no sports coming for a while and in that break Camelot was able to work on Golden Sun. We just have to make sure that GS does well so it starts taking precedence over Golf and the like.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
It took this long just to get SNES games, I'd hold off on expecting GBA games.
Yeah. By this time in the Wii U's lifespan, SNES games were old news, and we were getting GBA, N64, and DS games. Thus, the Switch is waayyyyyy behind.

Anyway, while it's neat that the Wii U's Virtual Console got Golden Sun, it's not much of anything to celebrate about. We need a more substantial release than a Virtual Console/NSO port.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yet we have a remake of a Zelda title sandwiched in a pretty crowded Fall release schedule.

Golden Sun sadly isn't considered high-profile at this point, so I think if they're going to do a remake like LA, it could drop at any time.
What are you guys on about, Xenoblade isn't the same kind of RPG as Golden Sun, and Zelda isn't even an RPG - they could all theoretically release the same year without stepping on each others' toes. Especially since half the year is usually fairly barren.

This year the Switch has/is releasing Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Ultimate Alliance, the Mana collection, and like fifty Final Fantasies, and they're probably all finding a decent deal of success.

Also, a remake of GS is not going to be a "big" anything for Nintendo planning-wise, except maybe a big gamble. Doesn't matter what else is coming out. It's not a game you schedule other titles around, it'd be a game they either launch to alleviate a dry spell (if in the first half), or with hopefully enough breathing room to not drown in the wake of bigger games (if in the second half). Just being real. They'll promote it, but it's no centrepiece. I imagine they'd give it the same treatment as they would a new IP not created by EPD.
True but having an ideal release window is key for success. You don't want said remake to happen only a few weeks before BoTW2 or something. Even a month or two before would make me feel sweaty.

If we get something like XC1R in the Summer and BoTW2 in the Holiday season, then I really hope GS1+2R releases March 2021 to give it room from those titles and have it's window to itself.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
That's it. That's the whole thread.

Seriously though, we got to stop thinking of Golden Sun as this grand reveal and see that it could be announced whenever Nintendo sees fit, despite everything that has happened with our Fandom if a new GS is on the works I am betting Nintendo still wouldn't be sure on how it would perform and by no means could it get any special treatment regarding scheduling since even if demand is there they would have to see how that translates to numbers in the end. The best we can do is be ready for it to be announced whenever and if it is, to share the word around so people will actually buy it. Right now it is bodying well for us because Camelot hasn't announced anything, but we will see. Hopefully Nintendo allowed them the GS route since Mario and Sonic at the Olympics is a game they most likely want to perform great with the Tokyo 2020 coming and maybe don't want other sports games releasing near it
I'm always chanting for Golden Sun to be the next reveal in every Nintendo direct, it just adds that extra layer of fun and excitement.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
yeah there have been times that my Wii U was being used more than my Switch simply for VC

playing GBA games on a legitimately portable system again would be fun
Wii U gamepad was fine for the couch but we can do better now

Last edited:

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Yeah as I've been looking for more older games to get into, I see that the easiest way for me to get a lot of them would just be VC on Wii U... so I feel awkward seeing those memes about how the Wii U is useless now. It'll still be getting used for me until the Switch has Gamecube games, which might not ever happen...

ZelDan

Smash Master
Yeah as I've been looking for more older games to get into, I see that the easiest way for me to get a lot of them would just be VC on Wii U... so I feel awkward seeing those memes about how the Wii U is useless now. It'll still be getting used for me until the Switch has Gamecube games, which might not ever happen...
Eh, even if the Wii U VC was obviously a step down from the Wii's. I never thought it in itself was "bad" and it did allow me to check out some games I never tried out before, such as the first Advanced Wars (decent) game and DK64 (yuck), or revisit some games I really liked like Kirby's Dreamland 3 (which actually is on the SNES channel on Switch now that I think about it).

roydgriffin

Smash Rookie
One of the WiiUs main problem was the lack of third party support, and now with almost all of my personal favourite titles being ported to switch (im looking at you Pikmin 3) there is nothing really going for it even now.
Compare this to Gamecube, which I still played many years after its time to shine was over, just because there are so many good games that you can't play on any other console.

Last edited:

aztimh

Smash Rookie
I am really hoping Camelot and Nintendo revive Golden Sun to capitalise on the JRPG Renaissance that seems to be happening on the Switch. It really is the perfect form factor for those games that have traditionally done well on handhelds, but with the benefit of HD and console TV-Play.

If a Golden Sun HD remaster/remake (preferably of both the GBA games in one package as was originally intended) came out I would be so happy!

Isaac being promoted to playable in Smash would also make me super happy. With how they created Hero as a character I’d be very interested to see how the Djinn/Class system could be implemented. Perhaps a Djinn set special like Monado arts that sets your current element and alters all your attacks to be spells or unleashes of said element.

Or it could be a risk/reward system - unleash your Djinn so you can do powerful summons but your class and stats become weaker for a time, or leave them set to retain stronger stats and spells.

When it comes to stage ideas Golden Sun has so many iconic places. The elemental lighthouses particularly Venus are the obvious choice with Saturos and Menardi as guest characters who when the beacon is lit become the Fusion Dragon as a stage boss. Or even inner Sol Sanctum with the water and then when the elemental stars are gathered it erupts and is held back by the Wise One.

As for music remixes I would love: Battle! (Isaac), Vale, Venus Lighthouse, GS1 Overworld, Saturos Battle among others.

Even tho we have heaps of spirits they can easily add some for Villains, Djinn, etc.

I don’t wanna be burned again like the grinch leak and assist trophy did to me, but I just can’t shake my love for the Golden Sun series. It was my favourite game series growing up and the music absolutely kicks me in the nostalgia every time!

aztimh

Smash Rookie
Also those Easter eggs of Golden Sun in Mario Tennis Aces... one I haven’t even seen mentioned is this music:

https://youtu.be/P3xYizS4noI

Skip to 0:48 and tell me it doesn’t sound like part of the Main Theme of Golden Sun... like totally referencing it. Motoi Sakuraba reminding us of something?

Top Bottom