• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Well, I’ve only been on these forums for a month or so. I’m not familiar with everyone here or how long they’ve been here. I’m not trying to call anyone out and I understand that if somebody actually has someone on the inside they have to be careful about what they show off or say.

All I’m saying is it’s hard to believe anybody in the “leaking” department when they say “I know a guy and he says...”. I said I don’t know either of these people, and also stated I’m not calling them liars I just asked if they could share any credibility they might have and she got defensive about it.

I don’t just believe people because they say “believe me” and then some other person shows up I don’t know and says “believe him”.

Like I said, if you’re going around to different threads trying to convince people to believe you then you might want something to bring to back up what you’re saying.
I understand your skepticism. However, I tried my best to explain who my connection is and why they're trustworthy with N3ON. My source is directly tied with Nintendo and in order to prove that I've given personal proof to multiple people as to why they are trustworthy. However, giving out who my source is publically doesn't seem very safe, does it? Instead of leaving my source vague and providing random info, I've gone out of my way to give out actual credentials to many users here who an vouche for me.

Istry555

Smash Cadet
All this talk of forgotten franchise and irrelevancy just makes no sense to me. It's possible that that is indeed what is holding Isaac back, but I can't help but get stuck on the fact that that reasoning is entirely inconsistent with the rosters that we've already gotten in the past. We've seen time and time again that Sakurai is willing to add relatively unknown and/or currently irrelevant franchises to the roster. So I'm not sure I understand why that would suddenly change with the prospect of GS representation.
Not really, though.

Sakurai seems to have two exceptions to this "rule", neither of which fit Isaac.

He likes to add really old retro characters. For Sakurai, this seems to mean NES and older. So, although the GBA is kind of retro now, It's not really old enough for Sakurai.

He likes to add oddball WTF characters. While Isaac would definitely have an interesting moveset, that's not really the same thing as having a odd out of the box weird moveset or gimmick.

So, the irrelevant characters:

- Ice Climbers: 1) NES retro pick; 2) Oddball WTF (Sakurai obviously built the character with the two characters at once gimmick in mind)
- Game & Watch: 1) Pre-NES retro pick; 2) Oddball WTF moveset, animation etc.
- ROB: 1) NES pick (with the bonus of being a quirky hardware footnote in Nintendo's history), extra points for having recently appeared in Mario Kart around the time of his Smash inclusion (I'd say semi oddball/WTF pick simply because he's so out there).
- Duck Hunt: 1) NES pick (with the bonus of being a quirky hardware footnote in Nintendo's history); 2) Oddball WTF moveset based on several light gun games, extra points for being one of the few NES games still relatively well known.
- Pit: 1) NES pick, extra points that Sakurai might have already had in mind the idea of doing a Kid Icarus revival before including him in Brawl.
- Piranha Plant: 1) Oddball WTF moveset, extra points that, although not a retro pick in the same was as Ice Climbers & Pit (Piranha Plant has appeared regularly in every Mario game ever) he's still a long running, well-known enemy and from the Mario franchise (so semi-NES/retro pick).

(Pit, although still in line with retro pics, is the only one that's not both a retro and an oddball pick, but the fact that Sakurai then went on to reboot his entire franchise shows he was a special case to begin with and Sakurai had a softspot for the character).

All the other characters from dead series (Ness, Lucas, etc.), their series wasn't dead when they were included in Smash. (Isaac sort of missed his chance with Brawl as, while his series was at its height, there were still bigger Nintendo names like Wario and Diddy to add at the time, and all of the other Golden Sun games missed the Smash development cycle).

We need to push for another Golden Sun game or, at the very least, push for Isaac to make cameos in other games.

So, short of getting a new GS, I think another possible step is to try and get Camelot to include Isaac as a bonus character in their sports games. This would also have the affect of making Isaac less unknown and (when combined with the Smash fan popularity) might convince Sakurai that Isaac fits the roster,

Last edited:

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Just a reminder chaps. This is an interview when Sakurai added Geno as a Mii Costume

There were a lot of new collaborations from series that aren’t represented in the base Smash game as DLC costumes. We asked about the background behind some of the more notable costumes.

Geno:

—What led you to decide to make a Geno costume after all this time?

Sakurai: To tell the truth, it’s because I wanted Geno to be a playable character. He has a gun for a hand, and I think he fits in really well with Smash. During Brawl, I thought it would be great if I could add him, but in the end it didn’t become a reality.

—Because of that, you added him as a Mii Costume this time?

Sakurai: That’s right. He’s very popular. When talking about older characters, Geno always gets a lot of requests. He didn’t appear as a fighter, but I was able to achieve something kind of close to that as a Mii Costume.
Isaac is on-par if not more popular than Geno. That is a fact just from the fan outcry alone at his fate of being an AT and Mii Costume. Golden Sunday as well showed that.

Sakurai KNOWS how popular he is. Isaac has been requested a lot since Brawl too.

The ones who are fan demands are the ones who get Mii Costumes and other favors like this. Isaac getting an AT and Mii Costume was not just a pity thing. We did that.

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I posted what my NoA connection said in the Geno thread, since that's where I'm at most of the time. Posted a screenshot of his message in particular, but I'll post it here for good measure. GS fans NEED to follow through with his advice if they want Isaac in the future:

View attachment 180464
Ouch. Almost wish I didn't know this information. It just makes Isaac finally getting a Mii costume not feel anywhere near as good.

And... It's truthfully sad that Sakurai is so biased to the idea of 80s 'retro' that he doesn't even consider Golden Sun as a valid part of Nintendo's history, despite selling really well on the Gameboy Advance. It is really unfairly casting aside the validity of my generations' games roles in Nintendo history and I don't take kindly to that at all.

Also frustrating that the notion is that Golden Sun has to get a new title before it is considered, yet there was a new Golden Sun in between Brawl and SSB4, yet GS lost representation. I know that Dark Dawn was not the most well-received, but it certainly means that a new Golden Sun coming out could also very possibly not even give Isaac a fair shot anyway.

Silo777

Smash Journeyman
I have a neutral position on this info. I’m not going to outright say it’s fake, but I don’t really have any reason to believe it either. Whether it’s real or fake though, doesn’t really change much. We had already known that the best chance to get Isaac in DLC or in the future is if a new game was in the works.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Right, I've caught up on everything and it changes nothing.

Guys let's be frank. Golden Sun is a forgotten franchise. Regardless of this new information being true or not. Golden Sun has had massive gaps in its release history. And I don't put the blame to "lack of sales".

Camelot has been stuck doing those Mario Sports games for so long that honestly at times I forget they make Golden Sun. Nintendo is no doubt forcing them to make them and only them. As such, GS was always going to be an uphill battle. We are essentially reviving a series through Super Smash Bros. It is always going to be hard. Go and ask some King K Rool fans and I'm sure they'd agree.

This isn't uncommon with Nintendo. They are suck with forgotten franchises or ones that don't sell. Chibi-Robo, F-Zero, Golden Sun etc etc. Even Advance Wars has been forgotten.

But look where we have gotten to so far. The next step is full inclusion. We can't give it up now. And nor that we should. On top of that, a new Golden Sun game IS WHAT WE WANT. Isaac's inclusion in Smash is not the priority anymore. It's a full revival of the series. And that's something we need to focus on. And that just so happen includes him being playable in Smash.

If you ask me, this new information is too easily gained. A Brand Ambassador would not have this information. I have had ties (via friends) to Nintendo in the past. And let me tell you it requires much more to get THAT sort of information. It's one thing to grab unannounced titles. Or secret events. It's another thing to grab information behind the scenes on the Design floor. And I do software design and let me tell you this. That sort of information RARELY leaves the business or shared to anyone who doesn't need to know it. PERIOD.

Sorry but I put this in Team Fake as a legit claim. However while fake, the logic is true. We must band our forces and make our support known.

I'm planning to play Golden Sun throughout the Christmas period and talk about it. Get more awareness!
Camelot being stuck on Mario Sports titles isn't because of Nintendo. It's because of Camelot. They ****ed up badly with Dark Dawn and they completely lost the confidence they needed to make an RPG again. Not saying Dark Dawn was bad, but it was released late on DS instead of pushed to 3DS and it wasn't as well received.

Far as I heard in the past, Nintendo kept pushing for Camelot to do a new GS since TLA. Camelot didn't want to do it. Because of the employees they lost over time.

It's Camelot who keeps making Mario Sports. And those haven't even seen massive success either. Until Aces that is.

Also I will drop this here: I don't for a second believe random NoA employees know Sakurai's thought process.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Camelot being stuck on Mario Sports titles isn't because of Nintendo. It's because of Camelot. They ****ed up badly with Dark Dawn and they completely lost the confidence they needed to make an RPG again. Not saying Dark Dawn was bad, but it was released late on DS instead of pushed to 3DS and it wasn't as well received.

Far as I heard in the past, Nintendo kept pushing for Camelot to do a new GS since TLA. Camelot didn't want to do it. Because of the employees they lost over time.

It's Camelot who keeps making Mario Sports. And those haven't even seen massive success either. Until Aces that is.

Also I will drop this here: I don't for a second believe random NoA employees know Sakurai's thought process.
Hmm. It's a tough call as to who it is because we don't know the full story. But looking at it from a business perspective, it was likely Nintendo wanting to secure guaranteed sales.

It could also be like you said and they lacked confidence. But I highly doubt that is the main reason as it has been 8 years since the last title. JRPGs are actually not bad to develop stories and mechanics for. Especially turn-based ones like Golden Sun

Something else is going on in Camelot/Nintendo that's for sure.

Then again this is Nintendo. It took them 12 years to release a Luigi's Mansion sequel. Anything is possible.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Hmm. It's a tough call as to who it is because we don't know the full story. But looking at it from a business perspective, it was likely Nintendo wanting to secure guaranteed sales.

It could also be like you said and they lacked confidence. But I highly doubt that is the main reason as it has been 8 years since the last title. JRPGs are actually not bad to develop stories and mechanics for. Especially turn-based ones like Golden Sun

Something else is going on in Camelot/Nintendo that's for sure.

Then again this is Nintendo. It took them 12 years to release a Luigi's Mansion sequel. Anything is possible.
The problem is that the Mario Sports games haven't "secured guaranteed sales". They've continued to decline up until Aces. Probably, I feel, because people are just tired of seeing them all the damn time.

EDIT: I do think Ultra Smash and Aces were requested by Nintendo. With Aces built off of Ultra Smash.

Last edited:

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Just a reminder chaps. This is an interview when Sakurai added Geno as a Mii Costume

Isaac is on-par if not more popular than Geno. That is a fact just from the fan outcry alone at his fate of being an AT and Mii Costume. Golden Sunday as well showed that.

Sakurai KNOWS how popular he is. Isaac has been requested a lot since Brawl too.

The ones who are fan demands are the ones who get Mii Costumes and other favors like this. Isaac getting an AT and Mii Costume was not just a pity thing. We did that.
Honestly things like that give me high hopes that next game (or DLC given there's 30 open character ID slots in Smash's code), both Skull Kid and Isaac will be playable. Dark Samus had a Mii Costume and ended up playable. Isaac's costume is pretty close and Skull Kid looks exactly like the real thing. I have high hopes for them both.

Last edited:

Tetiro

Smash Ace
The problem is that the Mario Sports games haven't "secured guaranteed sales". They've continued to decline up until Aces. Probably, I feel, because people are just tired of seeing them all the damn time.
To be fair, that was because the quality heavily dipped. It's something I noticed in the A/AA games Nintendo releases

If the quality dips, the sales flunk. It's probably a factor as to why Dark Dawn did lose sales. It wasn't the best in the series

Aces finally was a return to form and the sales blossomed. As did Mario Party. Add ARMS to the mix and you see the pattern.

Quality makes sales as it makes more word of mouth

Huanchi

Smash Apprentice
already wrote that in the discord but here you go:

ok so if the story is true.. i think it is the wake up call nintendo needed in terms of GS.. i am more of the pesimistic side of things.. especially after seeing the AT i thought we had no chance anymore.. i do now thing though , if we get another dlc wave, Isaac is in..just because NoA saw the reaction and will tell NoJ what happened. Nintendo decides DLC, sakurai just say if its possible or not..and i do think he can make Isaac working

D

Deleted member

already wrote that in the discord but here you go:

ok so if the story is true.. i think it is the wake up call nintendo needed in terms of GS.. i am more of the pesimistic side of things.. especially after seeing the AT i thought we had no chance anymore.. i do now thing though , if we get another dlc wave, Isaac is in..just because NoA saw the reaction and will tell NoJ what happened. Nintendo decides DLC, sakurai just say if its possible or not..and i do think he can make Isaac working
If there's a wave 2, I think not only a lot of AT's will be promoted but also characters that were too new will get a chance.

For example, I consider the most likely characters for a hypothetical wave 2 to be:
Rex/Pyra
Springman
Isaac
Skull Kid
Maybe Shadow, if they can't get the rights to him then another heavy hitting third party like Geno or Banjo-Kazooie

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I understand your skepticism. However, I tried my best to explain who my connection is and why they're trustworthy with N3ON. My source is directly tied with Nintendo and in order to prove that I've given personal proof to multiple people as to why they are trustworthy. However, giving out who my source is publically doesn't seem very safe, does it? Instead of leaving my source vague and providing random info, I've gone out of my way to give out actual credentials to many users here who an vouche for me.
That’s cool. I have no problems with you and thank you for giving us the information you found. Like I said, I personally haven’t heard about who your connection is or why they are trustworthy so I just have a hard time taking your word for it. I don’t know N3ON personally either but he seems cool. I’m not telling you to tell me your secret information, I just like to have some kind of proof before I believe things.

Either way you seem like a cool guy and you sound genuine so I’ll take your word. Either way it obviously doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things for Isaac. The plan has always been to keep pushing GS. It’s the only things we can do. I just have a really hard time buying that NoA was completely in the dark about Isaac’s popularity when we had a ballot three years ago where you can see he’s wanted.

If they really wanted to know which characters were wanted by fans then there’s no way they would be surprised by reactions to his AT. If you went to any popular Smash forums or Reddit people were talking about Isaac all the time. And if Isaac was always supposed to just show back up as an AT in Ultimate (supposedly before they knew the fan demand) anyways can you please ask your source why in the world he was completely removed from Smash 4?

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Ouch. Almost wish I didn't know this information. It just makes Isaac finally getting a Mii costume not feel anywhere near as good.

And... It's truthfully sad that Sakurai is so biased to the idea of 80s 'retro' that he doesn't even consider Golden Sun as a valid part of Nintendo's history, despite selling really well on the Gameboy Advance. It is really unfairly casting aside the validity of my generations' games roles in Nintendo history and I don't take kindly to that at all.

Also frustrating that the notion is that Golden Sun has to get a new title before it is considered, yet there was a new Golden Sun in between Brawl and SSB4, yet GS lost representation. I know that Dark Dawn was not the most well-received, but it certainly means that a new Golden Sun coming out could also very possibly not even give Isaac a fair shot anyway.
It is pretty interesting how the circumstances to apparently grant Isaac playability in Ultimate, having a new title, was already met in 4. Yet here we are, getting handed back the assist trophy we lost for some reason, despite a new GS releasing back then. GS is a series that the developers like to take their time on, they don't pump out new games every two years or something. We could be in for a new game for the series after a long development cycle, but Ultimate just released and who knows when the next Smash game will be developed. So GS could once again become outdated and people will be back to saying, 'You guys need a new GS game for Isaac to be relevant!' Or... Isaac could just simply not be picked again... despite having a new game for some reason.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
If there's a wave 2, I think not only a lot of AT's will be promoted but also characters that were too new will get a chance.

For example, I consider the most likely characters for a hypothetical wave 2 to be:
Rex/Pyra
Springman
Isaac
Skull Kid
Maybe Shadow, if they can't get the rights to him then another heavy hitting third party like Geno or Banjo-Kazooie
Do we know if an ARMS 2 is on the way? I know the first game did pretty well, but I never hear people talk about it much anymore. I’m just curious if they’d add an ARMS rep two years down the road if there aren’t plans for a sequel.

I’ve never played the game, but I hope they continue with it. It’s nice to have more IP’s Nintendo can work with.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
So I guess with this insider source, my question is less whether or not he exists but how he got this particular information, which your averge NoA employee probably wouldn't have. A lot of others seem to be wondering the same thing but I haven't seen a definitive answer (unless I read over it by accident).
Can we get some clarification on this? The thing is that even if a source is real they still could be incorrect.
Given the number of people who are corroborating this I am inclined to trust you all, but the information given is very specific and not stuff that just anybody would know.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
So I guess with this insider source, my question is less whether or not he exists but how he got this particular information, which your averge NoA employee probably wouldn't have. A lot of others seem to be wondering the same thing but I haven't seen a definitive answer (unless I read over it by accident).
Can we get some clarification on this? The thing is that even if a source is real they still could be incorrect.
Given the number of people who are corroborating this I am inclined to trust you all, but the information given is very specific and not stuff that just anybody would know.
Pretty much. I just don’t understand how someone within NoA would have any kind of inside knowledge to the inner workings of Smash. NoJ doesn’t usually communicate well with anyone (including NoA) and is completely gone deaf to fans’ wants. And Sakurai is as secret as they come.

I could maybe see an NoA personnel finding out who a newcomer is, but to know how certain characters were decided seems weird to me.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Pretty much. I just don’t understand how someone within NoA would have any kind of inside knowledge to the inner workings of Smash. NoJ doesn’t usually communicate well with anyone (including NoA) and is completely gone deaf to fans’ wants. And Sakurai is as secret as they come.

I could maybe see an NoA personnel finding out who a newcomer is, but to know how certain characters were decided seems weird to me.
These are the things I have problems with and cannot believe. I can believe the NoA contact exists, but not that they know jack **** about Sakurai's thought process. The most a minor NoA employee would know is if a character is coming or not, and even then I fully believe they wouldn't know about the DLC just yet (maybe in a couple months or so).

Do we know if an ARMS 2 is on the way? I know the first game did pretty well, but I never hear people talk about it much anymore. I’m just curious if they’d add an ARMS rep two years down the road if there aren’t plans for a sequel.

I’ve never played the game, but I hope they continue with it. It’s nice to have more IP’s Nintendo can work with.
Guaranteed ARMS 2 is happening with ARMS hitting 2m+ sales. Its probably not happening on Switch, though.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
From what was said on the Geno thread, some people who PolarPanda contacted through PMs and showed information to said, and I quote, that their source’s source is a higher-up at Nintendo, to the point where they wouldn’t even get fired if they were caught leaking. So that would, in theory, explain why the in-depth knowledge of Sakurai’s thought process, maybe.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
From what was said on the Geno thread, some people who PolarPanda contacted through PMs and showed information to said, and I quote, that their source’s source is a higher-up at Nintendo, to the point where they wouldn’t even get fired if they were caught leaking. So that would, in theory, explain why the in-depth knowledge of Sakurai’s thought process, maybe.
But even then... why would ANYONE from NoA know how the deciding process for Smash went? I could see Sakurai maybe telling the NoJ higher ups, but why would NoJ tell anyone at NoA his decisions? NoA has no effect on it.

It doesn’t really matter though. We all agree Isaac’s only chance is more DLC after this first wave.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
It is pretty interesting how the circumstances to apparently grant Isaac playability in Ultimate, having a new title, was already met in 4. Yet here we are, getting handed back the assist trophy we lost for some reason, despite a new GS releasing back then. GS is a series that the developers like to take their time on, they don't pump out new games every two years or something. We could be in for a new game for the series after a long development cycle, but Ultimate just released and who knows when the next Smash game will be developed. So GS could once again become outdated and people will be back to saying, 'You guys need a new GS game for Isaac to be relevant!' Or... Isaac could just simply not be picked again... despite having a new game for some reason.
Yeah, something that really bothered me during Smash 4 speculation is that even then I remember that quite a few people were already calling Isaac and Golden Sun irrelevant. Like... Dark Dawn came out between Brawl and Smash 4 development. How quickly do people expect Golden Sun games to be popped out before they declare series "dead"? The only reason Broken Seal and Lost Age came out so close together is because they were intended as one game and shared the same engine. Those detractors have a better claim now on "deadness" now, but geez.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Okay, in that case most of the info is probably reliable, given the people around here who are vouching for it

Has papagenos commented on it?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
But even then... why would ANYONE from NoA know how the deciding process for Smash went? I could see Sakurai maybe telling the NoJ higher ups, but why would NoJ tell anyone at NoA his decisions? NoA has no effect on it.

It doesn’t really matter though. We all agree Isaac’s only chance is more DLC after this first wave.
I guess there are probably a few guys at Nintendo of America, like Reggie, Bill, and others around or directly beneath them status-wise, who are in the know for these sorts of things. But this is all my speculation.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Everyone seems to be talking about Sephiroth a lot recently. Is he the front runner now for the first DLC character? I guess he would make sense with FF7 coming to the Switch next year.

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
Just wanted to say sorry about Issac. Golden Sun is a great game, and it sucks he didn't make it in (yet) hopefully next time. Glad he at least got his assist back

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Everyone seems to be talking about Sephiroth a lot recently. Is he the front runner now for the first DLC character? I guess he would make sense with FF7 coming to the Switch next year.
He's one of the 7 square names floating around, and I suppose one of the more plausible ones.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
He's one of the 7 square names floating around, and I suppose one of the more plausible ones.
What 7 square characters are on this list? I probably know which ones most of them are I just want to confirm

Sephiroth, geno, noctis, sora, slime, crono, and idk laura croft lol?

ZelDan

Smash Master
What 7 square characters are on this list? I probably know which ones most of them are I just want to confirm

Sephiroth, geno, noctis, sora, slime, crono, and idk laura croft lol?
Sephiroth
Geno
Erdrick
Luminary (DQ11)
Crono

ummm...I forget the other 2...

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Sephiroth
Geno
Erdrick
Luminary (DQ11)
Crono

ummm...I forget the other 2...
Out of that list Sephiroth definitely seems the most likely. Maaaaaaybe Erdrick if Nintendo and Square want to try and push DQ in the West.

If I had to guess then I’d say probably 2 of the 5 DLC characters will be Nintendo. I can see Microsoft maybe getting one and then maybe Bandai Namco since they only have Pac-Man.

IMO those 2 Nintendo characters will likely be a Fire Emblem: Three Houses character and then either a Pokémon Gen 8 rep (God I hope not) or I could see a Metroid Prime 4 rep.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I wouldn't be opposed to Sephiroth necessarily (especially if it meant we got more than 2 FFVII tunes...).

I just wonder how they'd work around the Masamune considering how insanely long that sword is.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Sephiroth is not getting in. There was zero demand for him, and even if Square had a say and was going for promotion, they wouldn't pick him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom