• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
If only Nintendo had a team specifically for putting out installments in dead/dormant franchises every few years.

Games like The Mysterious Murasame Castle, Golden Sun, F-Zero, and maybe even Ice Climbers.

If only...

Kalaam

Smash Ace
So, it’s been over 24 hours now. What does everyone think? Was the rathalos tweet not a reference?
My take on it is that yes, it was. But it was a hint at his AT returning, it probably was meant as a nod to us. The pic being on the AT page, but we were too hopeful and took it for bigger than it was.
Their mistake though was to not discomfirm it earlier.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Though if a character from a damn GACHA GAME makes it into Smash
I might be a bit upset...
720px-Katalina_A.png

Atleast Katalina looks cool :^)

Flarestorm

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm new here and I'm from Italy (so sorry if I have a bad english). I'm so disappointed that Isaac didn't make it... This smash doesn't feel really "ultimate" without him (and others like Dixie, or a rhythm heaven rep). At least they could leave him for DLCs, instead of waste him as an AT

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Here's the thing, Verge himself said Hitagi has a damn near flawless track record...so
unnamed.png
720px-Katalina_A.png

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
At least Steve actually BOOST'S Banjo's chances imo. Silver lining's are great!

Also I actually don't hate Steve tbh lol

tveye

Smash Journeyman
Fire Emblem Fates and Splatoon came out in the same year, people know who Corrin is. Even when he was being added into Smash, Fates was being advertised to hell and back in the west. He is also the most unique FE Character in the roster, albeit the most disliked by FE fans.
I'd like to think I'm pretty in the know with Nintendo properties and I had NO idea who Corrin was. I didn't even know what Fire Emblem Fates was. I still kind of don't (it's not the phone game, is it?)

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
How can I both love and hate Smash Ultimate so much?? xD
Welcome to being a Nintendo fan

I'd like to think I'm pretty in the know with Nintendo properties and I had NO idea who Corrin was. I didn't even know what Fire Emblem Fates was. I still kind of don't (it's not the phone game, is it?)
The latest main series FE game (Echoes is a remake)
FE Heroes is the mobile game
Fire Emblem isn't a bad series, just that Nintendo split the fanbase and now it's hard to get into the series without one side 'attacking' you
There are some really nice fans though, don't let them scare you.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
I noticed toad and skull kid got full mii costumes this time, at the very least I hope there's an Isaac costume with his face instead of a friggin mii face

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
In preparation for our November 11th support, I'm going to write a letter so we can use it as a means to show our support throughout social media.

Anything you guys thing we should have in the letter?
I think we should of course thank nintendo for all 3 games and humbly ask for another entry. We should have signatures and everyone having a sentence or paragraph describing why they love the game.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Everyone, if you don't like where this is going, I want you to send your concern and displeasure to Nintendo's twitter.

And this message should be spread to everyone, on all of the deconfirmed or unconfirmed characters.

We need to let it be known that this isn't okay.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Let’s say it is possible in the mind of Nintendo for Assist Trophies to be playable:

I don’t think there is any way for Isaac to be the only one that becomes playable. We’d be in direct competition with tons of other worthy candidates, which could produce a lot of hostility between the fandoms. I don’t think Nintendo wants to stir that pot.
It is true that we'd then be in direct competition with characters like Ashley, Shadow, Skull Kid, Waluigi, etc.
But then again, does it seem like Nintendo really cares about these fanbases? They sure haven't convinced me that they do.

Edit: GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 on the topic of delaying the game, I think that it would make sense. Yes, they brought back a ton of new content, but they could only do that because they could port it from Smash 4. If there's only gonna be 6 unique newcomers and what, like 5 or so veterans, then I seriously doubt whether they should have brought everything back like they did. It's like, if it took that much work to make 90 some old stages, then is that really worth it at the cost of more new content? I think they thought Spirits mode and lots of veterans could make up for a weaker newcomer lineup. There's a lot of "fluff" in this game; stages (and even some characters) that very few people really wanted back and a ton of work dumped into Spirits.
But then again, I feel like if they delayed the game it would be to add more "relevant" chars like Rex/Spring Man. But maybe they could have put in one or two more fan faves with that extra time too.

Last edited:

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
So do we know who the evil mastermind behind the Grinch Leak is? Like, someone out there was able to make something that fooled a good majority of us. I assume no one has come forward about doing this yet..

JonSmash

Smash Ace
9Blades 9Blades It looks like MarioTehPlumber was somehow behined the grinch leak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQiMSYTSNA4

he did it to cause pain & misery and have all the fanbases fight eatch other over there characters not getting in BUT he did it to cause damage to nintendo SOOOOO they could sue him for millons

TELL NINTENDO IT COULD BE HIM ! GET HIS ASS SUED !

Last edited:

Silo777

Smash Journeyman
It’s been 24 hours, and I’m still pissed.

If Isaac isn’t DLC, I’m just sad what this will inevitably do to my positivity for the next smash game. I like to think I was someone who never gave up and liked to spread the hope, but now I’m worried I’ll take a super pessimistic stance next time which, while saving me from a disappointment on this level again, is no fun for me or anyone else.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
9Blades 9Blades It looks like MarioTehPlumber was somehow behined the grinch leak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQiMSYTSNA4

he did it to cause pain & misery and have all the fanbases fight eatch other over there characters not getting in BUT he did it to cause damage to nintendo SOOOOO they could sue him for millons

TELL NINTENDO IT COULD BE HIM ! GET HIS *** SUED !
He posted no evidence tho.

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
I can do design work. I'm sure I could dust out my old documents and get us a realizable design document planned. I know all about game development!

We need a pixel artist, musician, concept artist and programmer
I am a fairly good story writer, developing dialogue, setting up missions, puzzle creator. Pretty much all around in writing something up to start designing. Maybe could have a group to work on these aspects as group input can create more ideas for storytelling, direction of the plot, side missions, character development, etc.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
In preparation for our November 11th support, I'm going to write a letter so we can use it as a means to show our support throughout social media.

Anything you guys thing we should have in the letter?
I've actually got one all cued up

Dear Nintendo,

I am, and have been, an avid customer of yours for many years. I have thoroughly enjoyed many of the wonderful series that you have produced over the years. One of these series is Super Smash Bros. I am excited for Super Smash Bros Ultimate and I plan on buying the game. I love many of the revealed features of the game such as the new Online mode, Smashdown, and many of the new playable characters. However, There only one thing about the game that I wish to change. I am writing this letter to request that you make Isaac from the Golden Sun series a playable character in the game and, furthermore, to request Camelot to begin development on ether a new entry into the Golden Sun series or a Switch remake of the original Gameboy Advance games.

Super Smash Brothers has long been a series about celebrating the history of Nintendo. Characters from many different IP’s and genres are represented in the games, including many popular 3rd parties. This is what I and many others love about the game. However, not giving Golden Sun playable representation simply does not line up with the idea of this being a celebration of Nintendo. The original Golden Sun is one of the premiere titles on the GBA, selling 1.8 million copies (something a Fire Emblem game would do until 11 years later) and making its way into the hands and hearts of many gamers around the world, myself included. It, and its highly-acclaimed sequel “the Lost Age”, maintain popularity despite being 17 and 16 years old respectively. The series consistently ranks among Nintendo’s most popular, despite the latest entry in the series, 2010’s Dark Dawn for the DS, selling significantly less than the first two. The fanbase has consistently voiced their desire for a new Golden Sun and/or Isaac’s inclusion in Super Smash Bros. There are many campaigns and accounts across multiple sites dedicated to the revival of the series. It would make sense to satisfy the wants of a large portion of your fans by making a new Golden Sun, which can be promoted by including Isaac as a playable character in Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Isaac has always been a popular character among the Smash community. Fanart exists supporting Isaac’s inclusion as a playable character in the series. The Isaac thread on Smashboards is the largest and heavily populated on the site for any one character with over 600 supporters, most of whom are regular users. The thread, which at the time of writing is almost 800 pages long, has been a gathering place for major community figures from around the world and it is not uncommon for many of the site’s staff to take part in the conversation. There are many examples of this sort of enthusiasm for the character within the community. Upon Isaac’s reveal as an assist trophy, the thread was flooded with condolences as many within the community expressed their dismay at Isaac’s non-inclusion yet again. To them, it made no sense why Piranha Plant is playable, yet Isaac is not. Despite this the community has decided to band together and become more vocal. The community plans on organizing a Golden Sun Day on November 11th to show our support of the series and its potential revival. Many of the members of the board will begin campaigning in similar vein to the successful one for King K. Rool’s inclusion in Super Smash Bros. to raise awareness of the series among the casual audience. This because Golden Sun can, and will, be successful in appealing to a casual audience.

Part of the reason why the Nintendo Switch has been so successful is due to its diverse catalog of games, genres, and series that are available to play anywhere, anytime. However, when one looks at the genres covered by Nintendo franchises, there is a notable absence. Super Mario Odyssey is an open-world platformer. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is an open-world adventure game. Kirby Star Allies is a traditional 2D Side-Scroller. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is an action-adventure RPG. The soon-to-be released Pokemon Let’s Go! Pikachu/Eevee will be a creature capture RPG. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a kart racing game. Mario Tennis Aces is a Sports Game (made by the Golden Sun devs at Camelot studios). Fire Emblem: Three Houses will be a Strategy RPG. Splatoon 2 is a competitive shooter. Super Smash Bros Ultimate is a platform Fighting Game. There is no major first-party traditional JRPG offering. JRPG’s can sell well on the Switch as evidenced by Square-Enix’s Octopath Traveller, which sold over a million copies in its first 4 months. There is clear demand for traditional JRPG’s amongst the gaming community and, sure enough, Golden Sun is a JRPG. Golden Sun can fill a needed part of your catalog of first-party titles if you successfully advertise and publicize it.

While you may be understandably skeptical of the viability of a new Golden Sun in today’s market due to the relative failure of Dark Dawn, one must take into account the factors that caused Dark Dawn’s disappointing sales. Much of Octopath Travelers’ success comes from the successful advertising campaign as it was prominently featured in multiple Nintendo Directs, on the Switch Website, and in official Nintendo media. Dark Dawn, on the other hand, came out with little to no fanfare near the end of the DS’s lifespan in October 2010 (the 3DS came out in July 2011, a mere 8 months later). The advertising push for the new system, which had been announced at E3 2010, prevented Dark Dawn from attracting a large audience. Had the game been a launch title for the 3DS, it would have gotten more advertising and public exposure. While some long-time fans had complaints about various game mechanics, notably the Points of No Return, those did not have as significant of an impact on sales as the lack of publicity. This past year Dark Dawn was the best selling DS game, proving there is still a market for the series despite lack of official attention. Pushing Golden Sun would be favorable as it would allow Nintendo to have yet another popular series, reducing reliance on major series to maintain profits.

There is precedent for a series on its deathbed to be brought back through smart advertising and well thought out development. Its name is Fire Emblem. Fire Emblem was a series that constantly underperformed in the marketplace due to many of the same problems that Golden Sun has (lack of publicity, silent majority fanbase, titles released at unfavorable times, etc.). The story of the ultimatum sent to Intelligent Systems, which said that Fire Emblem would be finished if the next game flopped, is legendary among the community. Intelligent Systems pulled out all the stops to create Fire Emblem Awakening: adding new mechanics that appealed to a wide audience, marketing the game at every chance they got, and, most importantly, they believed in the game they were making. Awakening became the first game in the series to sell over a million units and is widely regarded by many fans as being the best game in the series. The only main-series Fire Emblem game that has outsold Awakening is Fire Emblem Fates, the game directly after Awakening. Now Fire Emblem is one of the most prominent series in modern gaming, with Fire Emblem Three Houses being eagerly anticipated by the gaming community. This could be Golden Sun. With smart development implementing new that both appeal to new and returning players alike while also keeping the great things about the series (such as Djinni, the Battle System, Summons, the music, the characters, etc.), Golden Sun could easily become a hit with the casual audience.

Overall, Golden Sun can have a bright future (pun intended). I know that Nintendo as a company is always looking to bring the highest quality of games to its systems (as it has for years). Do not take this as another person complaining about the way you do things. No, you have already gotten WAY too many of those sorts of letters. This is more of a suggestion from a fan of the company about a way for the company to grow and have a more diversified fanbase and revenue stream. Camelot has stated that they would be willing to make a new Golden Sun if there was demand for it. I am here to inform you that there is, indeed, demand for it.

Yours in Gaming,

(insert name here)
It's sorta template-like for anyone that wants it.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
The 11th should we DM the letter to nintendo's twitter or just @ them while sharing the letter on a picture ?

TappyBat

Smash Ace
so i dunno if most of you are on reddit or in any of the golden sun discoreds or anything, but a bunch of us are gonna essentially twitter bomb well, twitter on the 11th posting golden sun things to show yes, we do care and yes we do want another game! you all in? and don't forget the #goldensun

Top Bottom