• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Confirmation

Smash Ace
While we've been mainly been on the topic of Smash in regards of the delay, we can only imagine how nervous investors are when this occured. Having the big quarterly product lineup go up in smoke while several collaborators go and release their material makes this a big flop.

D

Deleted member

They are gonna be leaked either way. :/

This sucks waiting or something you don't even know when it will happen.
This was why I was hoping Nintendo would announce something. What they did was the right decision to respect those who lost their lives because that was far more important than trivial pursuits like video games, but considering a lot of the things Nintendo was going to announce during that Direct have already been announced or spoiled, the Smash Bros. reveal is arguably the last thing they have to make this Direct solvent, and if any footage of reveals (such as Isaac here) or game information is spoiled whether legitimately (Famitsu) or otherwise, then they should just scrap this entirely and instead focus on the Online Direct.

While we've been mainly been on the topic of Smash in regards of the delay, we can only imagine how nervous investors are when this occured. Having the big quarterly product lineup go up in smoke while several collaborators go and release their material makes this a big flop.
Well, yeah. The fact that these people decided to forego Nintendo's decision and just say it anyway will likely hurt Nintendo's Q3 earnings, because you know they aren't just going to hire a spin doctor to say that these companies didn't bother respecting the Hokkaido tragedy, because that's ****ty public relations.

Again; Nintendo did the right thing, but unfortunately, this just bit them in the ass.

Last edited by a moderator:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Nintendo is in a race against time to try to beat Famitsu while also still trying to be a business. Weekend direct was never gonna happen due to the stocks being closed on the weekends and directs basically being "invest money in us we got products!". Same reason a Monday direct is probably not happening. Tuesday wont either because 9/11 and it's sorta hypocritical to delay a direct because earthquake then reschedule the direct to a day where a mass amount of life was loss (before everyone mentions mario maker they came out and said why). Thursday seems likely but at that point Famitsu will be leaked.
So when do you feel they'll drop it?

Confirmation

Smash Ace
So when do you feel they'll drop it?
Monday gives the most time to mourn without majorly risking their own Direct. Tuesday onward puts them in danger territory, at which point altering the Direct to include whatever news they have in reserves may be necessary.

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
Huh, just noticed something interesting: Nintendo of America announcing that the direct was cancelled got more social media traction than announcing it was happening

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Huh, just noticed something interesting: Nintendo of America announcing that the direct was cancelled got more social media traction than announcing it was happening
I hope that doesn't give Nintendo a message to then cancel all directs from now on.

Last edited:

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Yeah I think we should give up on the Direct for Sunday our time. It's still Sunday morning in Japan, but at this point I don't see an announcement happening today for some reason. Maybe Monday at best...

D

Deleted member

I hope that doesn't give Nintendo a message to then cancel all directs from now on.
Doubtful, although I do expect them to just limit Directs to their in-house projects for a while and let other companies announce their stuff at their own convenience.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Doubtful, although I do expect them to just limit Directs to their in-house projects for a while and let other companies announce their stuff at their own convenience.
I don’t.

Honestly, I think everyone’s going a bit overboard with the doom and gloom predictions here. This may not have happened before, but I don’t think it’s crippling or game changing by any means. Even on things that have come out, we’ll get more information and better presentation in the Direct.

This really sounds to me like the typical “oh, this Direct will be terrible” talk that we hear before every Direct, especially when it’s announced well in advance.

Isaac4SmashUltimate

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't think of the Direct being terrible because it is better not to have too much expectations. And I can wait for the Nintendo Direct to be shown when they are ready to show it.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I don’t.

Honestly, I think everyone’s going a bit overboard with the doom and gloom predictions here. This may not have happened before, but I don’t think it’s crippling or game changing by any means. Even on things that have come out, we’ll get more information and better presentation in the Direct.

This really sounds to me like the typical “oh, this Direct will be terrible” talk that we hear before every Direct, especially when it’s announced well in advance.
I mean, we all know the Online will be terrible. So here's no need to predict that. :upsidedown:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Geno and skull kid appear to be the leak-darlings right now
Isaac's had his fair share as well. Obviously his model is more complex than Geno's, and there's plenty of fakes to use for both Geno and Skull Kid. I honestly find Skull Kid and Isaac have more going for them as far as the upcoming direct, if any hints mean anything. It could be any of them though. Exciting.

Onassi2

Smash Cadet
This theory is thrown around everywhere since then. Me personally find it distasteful to rate a characters chances of getting into a Video Game by a natural disaster.
But cant imagine thats the primary reason. There will probably be other games that are sensible in that regard.
DIsagree strongly that it’s distasteful. It’s extremely unlikely, but certainly possible. It’s not like there’s no precedent to delaying something due to potentially insensitive material. How on earth is that distasteful? Speculation is speculation; nobody here is disregarding the tragedy or loss of human life. New information isn’t off limits.

Last edited:

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
Is Hokkaido like, Japan's equivalent of Alaska? It's huge, cold, has a small population of natives, low population/density.

D

Deleted member

I don’t.

I'm not trying to have a "sky is falling" mentality, but it will sour people for a few weeks, and companies don't like any hiccups in momentum.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Apparently this leaked on 4chan, the odds of it being real are probably -8% but it gives us hope and we need hope, dang it!

http://imgur.com/y7JZDfy
Probably fake. The other three splash screens have a bar of light across the characters name for most of the splash, but it does mute itself towards the end of the splash as well

Muirkat

Smash Apprentice
I just want to know what this leak's tagline is. Looks like "Isaac Saves the" - Like, what could this even be?
I think it says "Isaac Moves the Earth" which would fall in line with WHY they cancel the direct.

Edit: Had not yet seen all the replies where people figured that out already

Last edited:

Q-Long

Smash Lord
So what characters do you think have a chance right now? I'm thinking

Newcomers
-Isaac (popular on polls)
-Geno (popular on polls, sakurai wants him, most other 3rd parties have two)
-Skull Kid (popular on polls, Zelda didn't get a new character since brawl yet)
-New Mario character (Popular series, maybe Paper Mario?)
-Bandana Dee (Popular series, hasn't had a newcomer since Brawl)
-New Pokemon (Popular series)
-Isabelle (Popular series)
-Monster Hunter (Rathalos is in)
-Rex (Fresh game)
-New Namco character (Most other 3rd parties have two, maybe Heihachi or Lloyd)
-New Fire Emblem character (New game coming out and all new FE characters in Ultimate are from a now older game)

Obvious Echoes
- Ken (or Akuma maybe)
- Shadow
- Diddy
- Blood Falcon or Black Shadow
- Galacta Knight

These are no particular orders and I'm not hating on characters I left off. I left off Ray and Andy who I really want, I just think these are the biggest contenders

D

Deleted member

2018 has been a very mediocre year for the Switch I feel. Is it just me?
You could say whatever you want about "sophomore slumps" or anything like that, but when the Switch debuted in 2017, they had three killer apps that would entice people to buy the console; Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, and Splatoon 2. And, underlying the success was the fact that plenty of bad shovelware managed to sneak into the eShop like "Vroom in the Night Sky" and "Cartoon Network Battle Crashers". It's kinda why, aside from Xenoblade 2, we've mostly saw Switch ports of Wii U titles for most of the year leading into the holidays because they believe Ultimate and Super Mario Party will be the killer apps of 2018 and beyond. Basically, what I'm saying is the fact that the Switch has had few major programs and instead relied on ported software instead to kill time.

I didn't include Let's Go, because I believe people may just likely skip that title and wait for the next one since it's obviously catering to a select type of gamers.

Last edited by a moderator:

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
You could say whatever you want about "sophomore slumps" or anything like that, but when the Switch debuted in 2017, they had three killer apps that would entice people to buy the console; Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, and Splatoon 2. And, underlying the success was the fact that plenty of bad shovelware managed to sneak into the eShop like "Vroom in the Night Sky" and "Cartoon Network Battle Crashers". It's kinda why, aside from Xenoblade 2, we've mostly saw Switch ports of Wii U titles for most of the year leading into the holidays because they believe Ultimate and Super Mario Party will be the killer apps of 2018 and beyond. Basically, what I'm saying is the fact that the Switch has had few major programs and instead relied on ported software instead to kill time.

I didn't include Let's Go, because I believe people may just likely skip that title and wait for the next one since it's obviously catering to a select type of gamers.
And that not counting some of the other major 2018 Switch successes like Star Allies and Octopath Traveler. I think Nintendo will be just fine come December 7

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Only thing about not necessarily being done with the third parties is that Verge did leak a square enix rep, which likely is Geno. So I feel he'd be the last unique third party newcomer. Of course assuming that Verge's sources continue to stay credible with the new info.
//cries in Sora (though thinks he's incredibly unlikely)

That said, I'd absolutely lose it if a Bravely Default character somehow made it into the game... the fake Agnes was such a tease...

Last edited:

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
//cries in Sora (though thinks he's incredibly unlikely

That said, I'd absolutely lose it if a Bravely Default character somehow made it into the game... the fake Agnes was such a tease...
By naming Sora, you've just named the main reason why a BD character (like Anges) wouldn't make it. I like the game, don't get me wrong, I'm just saying that the competition Anges faces from Geno, Sora, a DQ character, or (come DLC time) someone from Octopath Traveler (such as Cyrus, H'aanit, or Ophillia) is pretty stiff.

Edit: Weird grammar thing

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'm not trying to have a "sky is falling" mentality, but it will sour people for a few weeks, and companies don't like any hiccups in momentum.
Will it sour people for a few weeks, though? Or only until we see the Direct?

No, it’s not going to be as big as it could have been, but that doesn’t mean it’ll be bad. We’re already assuming we know every big thing that’s going to come from the Direct. Last time that happened, Simon had basically been leaked by the music, and then we got our expectations shattered by Richter and K. Rool.

Let’s wait and see how much new stuff the Direct has before we predict that’s it’s going to kill Nintendo’s momentum.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Will it sour people for a few weeks, though? Or only until we see the Direct?

No, it’s not going to be as big as it could have been, but that doesn’t mean it’ll be bad. We’re already assuming we know every big thing that’s going to come from the Direct. Last time that happened, Simon had basically been leaked by the music, and then we got our expectations shattered by Richter and K. Rool.

Let’s wait and see how much new stuff the Direct has before we predict that’s it’s going to kill Nintendo’s momentum.
I mean even If did Kill said momentum I think we all still watch it I know I would

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
According to VGChartz Golden Sun only do 380k in Europe. Is the region where GS had less sales compared to the 900k in USA and the 400k in Japan.
Is funny that there is where Golden Sun is most remembered. And spanish people themselves think they have bad taste
I'm late to the party again, but I'd like to add that Dark Dawn had awful advertising and it probably impacted the EU sales the most.

On a totally unrelated note, most likely tomorrow I'll post little stuff I made today. If some of you have seen what I posted recently on my personal Twitter account, it's the same kind of thing. :smirk:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I think everyone thinking this will have major consequences for Nintendo beyond the next week or so is just plain wrong. Sure, the hype train got derailed big time, but I don't think this will change the direct or the relations between Nintendo and third-parties. My guess is some companies just couldn't afford the time to spare when revealing these games, while Nintendo can absolutely afford a few days. And there's no way whatever's in this direct will "kill" Nintendo's momentum. Especially after the delay, the hype can only go up from here.

Nossnitro102

Smash Journeyman
I believe if a third party was involved in this direct we would already know via leaks by now. It would be hard to prevent from happening due to the nature of third party inclusions. They don't own those characters so they could be revealed on a whim by the og owners of the IP. Pretty sure.
It would be a d*** move but it could happen right? That's why I'm thinking this will be more first party based than third party. And I actually expect more than one character reveal. Not 5. But MAYBE 3? At most.
I do feel a morbid air due to the incident but... I think in the next day or two we might be through that dark cloud.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
2018 has been a very mediocre year for the Switch I feel. Is it just me?
I wonder if a lot of people only got their Switches at the end of 2017 because of the shortages and had to catch up on BoTW, Odyssey, and Splatoon 2? That said, it's been fine for me because of XC2, Octopath, and now MHGU, but I'm also supplementing Switch playtime with an MMO (Final Fantasy XIV). I can see why people who might have adopted the Switch early and aren't big RPG fans might feel like there was a drought though...

So what characters do you think have a chance right now? I'm thinking

Newcomers
-Isaac (popular on polls)
-Geno (popular on polls, sakurai wants him, most other 3rd parties have two)
-Skull Kid (popular on polls, Zelda didn't get a new character since brawl yet)
-New Mario character (Popular series, maybe Paper Mario?)
-Bandana Dee (Popular series, hasn't had a newcomer since Brawl)
-New Pokemon (Popular series)
-Isabelle (Popular series)
-Monster Hunter (Rathalos is in)
-Rex (Fresh game)
-New Namco character (Most other 3rd parties have two, maybe Heihachi or Lloyd)
-New Fire Emblem character (New game coming out and all new FE characters in Ultimate are from a now older game)

Obvious Echoes
- Ken (or Akuma maybe)
- Shadow
- Diddy
- Blood Falcon or Black Shadow
- Galacta Knight

These are no particular orders and I'm not hating on characters I left off. I left off Ray and Andy who I really want, I just think these are the biggest contenders
I'm hoping for an XC2 rep (Rex with Pyra and Mythra supporting him like Pokemon Trainer does or Pyra with a Mythra Echo fighter), Lycanroc, Isaac, Monster Hunter, and Isabelle the most. and Sora, but he's more of a dream than an expectation As for what I think is likely, I guess a Xenoblade rep, Isaac, Bandana Dee, some Pokemon, and I guess Isabelle, Shadow, and Ken for good measure sounds right, with some big surprise character (Geno, Banjo, something, Sora)

That said, I think that if we don't get an XC2 rep in this Direct, it's over for their base roster chance- lining up a new Smash rep with the release of the Torna DLC is too perfect and would harken back to Shulk advertising XC for the N3DS. If it misses out, I fully could expect to see Elma, since XCX was big in 2015 and was arguably the Wii U's most ambitious game.

Also throwing it out there, I really want Tails instead of Shadow as Sonic's Echo. Maybe Shadow is a boss or maybe he just hasn't been shown, but nothing has disconfirmed Tails as of yet.

By naming Sora, you've just named the main reason why a BD character (like Anges) wouldn't make it. I like the game, don't get me wrong, I'm just saying that the competition Anges faces from Geno, Sora, a DQ character, or (come DLC time) someone from Octopath Traveler (such as Cyrus, H'aanit, or Ophillia) is pretty stiff.

Edit: Weird grammar thing
Agreed, sadly. Honestly, I don't think that any one of them really has a good claim definitively above the others... Geno has a vocal fanbase, but Sora fans are in the woodworks and the silent fans probably support him more than Geno. My only hopes for a Bravely character is that because SE is notoriously stingy, they won't want a character advertising a dead series (Super Mario RPG) or allow for a KH rep, so a Bravely character could slip through the cracks...

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Isaac's had his fair share as well. Obviously his model is more complex than Geno's, and there's plenty of fakes to use for both Geno and Skull Kid. I honestly find Skull Kid and Isaac have more going for them as far as the upcoming direct, if any hints mean anything. It could be any of them though. Exciting.
Pretty much what makes the upcoming direct exciting, we very well could be getting Isaac, who knows. Even Verge has mentioned that he has no specifics on this direct so feels like we're going in blind for the first time with predictions on the reveal shuffling between a few characters.

I still can't help the feeling that Sakurai might want to talk about Isaac though.

Top Bottom