• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, death prediction?
*looks through cast*
Bowser. I'm gonna go with Bowser. Isaac might mistake him for an enemy, after all.

ferioku

Smash Ace
Considering Isaac is an ectremely high demanded character, shouldn't he have been announced as one of the first assist trophies in the e3 direct? Sakurai does like to decomfirm popular characters pretty quickly... Ah well maybe I'm just waffling a bit.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Considering Isaac is an ectremely high demanded character, shouldn't he have been announced as one of the first assist trophies in the e3 direct? Sakurai does like to decomfirm popular characters pretty quickly... Ah well maybe I'm just waffling a bit.
Actually this is a valid point. He quickly shot down Waluigi, Bomberman and many others. And in the next Direct Ashley and Shovel Knight. If Isaac is in, the more he doesn't appear the more likely will be playable

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Actually this is a valid point. He quickly shot down Waluigi, Bomberman and many others. And in the next Direct Ashley and Shovel Knight. If Isaac is in, the more he doesn't appear the more likely will be playable
I figure he should've been shown off with the return of Gray Fox if he were also coming back as an AT, but it's still not impossible. I'd say the chances of him being an AT fall to near-zero if he gets through one more reveal without showing up. Sakurai has to now be aware of an Isaac fanbase and wouldn't lead us all onto the final direct before finally breaking the bad news.

Which is honestly good enough for me. Even if he's not playable, not being an AT would allow for a DLC push, and with K. Rool and Geno fans likely joining the cause? The campaign would be massive. We'd be capable of garnering enough steam to catch Sakurai's attention and make the dream happen if Isaac weren't already being planned as DLC. But honestly, I get the feeling that DLC isn't just going to be third partes and promotional first parties again anyways, so Isaac would probably already be on Sakurai's radar.

isaac3000

Smash Journeyman
R.O.B. was crucial in selling the NES in North America. Retailers and consumers alike were deathly afraid of video games because of the great video game crash. But R.O.B. was a trojan horse that sold the NES as a "toy."
I literally watched a video about R.O.B.'s release in the US yesterday! Pretty impressive and sneaky of Nintendo XD

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I was going to say "It's a little difficult to come up with events when we don't know what Stages or Items we're going to get"...

But this...

You got me pholtos, that was a good one.
If Felix gets in as an echo I'd love to see an event match where you team up with him as Isaac to fight Ness and Lucas. It seems fitting somehow.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
If Felix gets in as an echo I'd love to see an event match where you team up with him as Isaac to fight Ness and Lucas. It seems fitting somehow.
If Matthew and Ninten are playable via alts or echoes, there's bound to be a "Mistaken Identity" event with them, Isaac, and Ness.

GoldenBoy01

Smash Rookie
I would want it to be a bit similar to Octopath Traveler in terms of looks, but instead of sprites, give us celshaded character and enemy models or something. I think that would work wonderfully with Golden Sun.
Yeah I was thinking that the other day too! The lighting effects in that game were already pretty similar to GS...

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Nope.

The thing is, K. Rool is a trollish character. How many final bosses get up and attack you during the end credits? Isaac is brutally straightforward, and his trailer will be built around him, just like K. Rool’s was.
I'm easy to please, I'll be watching the trailer like a hundred times until the game's release anyways lol.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
We're almost at 200 pages guys!
And when that happens, we'll also be at 8,000 posts! 225 pages for 9,000 posts and 250 pages for 10,000 posts

At 10,000, I will draw an Isaac comic entirely in post-it notes. Something more special for our golden boy's 10,000 marker

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
I imagine an scenario when they show us all new and past AT and Isaac is still missing but at the end of the presentation/direct they give us Isaac's reveal trailer! It Would be so dramatic but totally worth it

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't think importance has to do with it much in smash. First example ice climbers, I didn't know who they were till I saw them in smash. ROB as my second example...a one off console with nothing special about it, sold terribly, and was very forgettable. Duck hunt dog...came out of nowhere, no one was asking for him he just jumped on my screen flipped everyone off and said "surprise b****es!!!" And mr game and watch...I bet most younger people haven't played a single game that he represents through his moveset. And lets not forget the long dead but brought back to life Pit. Only in 2 games, much older than geno, and nowhere near geno level of a fanbase. So in conclusion...what is this importance you speak of? Lol
Every time someone makes this argument they forget about the context. Geno is a third party character. I wouldn't give any **** at all if he was still owned by Nintendo.

And even then, at least Ice Climbers we're the stars of their game. Duck Hunt was packed in with Super Mario Bros. ROB helped sell the system in the west.

Comparing Geno to these characters is a complete disservice to them and their importance. The closest is Ice Climbers, but again, they were at least the stars of their game. Geno is a side character in a game where Mario is the star.

And again, I reiterate. If Geno wasn't owned by Square Enix, then I wouldn't have any problems. It's still stupid to compare him to any of the characters that you did, but obscure Nintendo characters aren't really a big deal for inclusion at all.

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
There's also the fact that the Bomberman AT does everything Bomberman is well known for doing.

A casual observer would believe that Bomberman is perfectly represented in the form of his Assist Trophy.
Bomberman ran into a kind of identity crisis when it went from 2D to 3D. Mega Bomberman was the apex of the series, then you have Bomberman 64 which was also very good. It was just a little difficult to call it Bomberman in the same sense. It was a clear departure from the gameplay that made it so addictive before so it had to reinvent itself. I just don't think it found something to match up to the same levels of addiction ever from that jump off point. Have no doubts a moveset could easily be made, maybe it's a character they can promote in a future smash?

Also, someone mentioned the roster 'spots' dwindling fast if we actually do get Incineroar and such. I'd argue that the AT 'spots' are dwindling at an even faster rate. I went through the potential returning ones some posts back and speculated that games like Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey are very likely to have ATs of their own. They could also very well get around to adding in a Square Enix AT (however likely or unlikely), but certainly a Street Fighter one and a Punch Out! one. This is not even referencing the fact that you could very well have a lot of old Nintendo icons lost and forgotten and random historical and modern video game characters pop in. If Rayman is not a playable for instance, maybe an AT? And finally any newcomers that are appearing look like they get ATs to accompany them too.

Finally. I really and truly wonder what Sakurai did with the ballot results when he went through them. When everything is said and done, we're going to really get a lot of juicy details inferred by who was decided for this game. What would you do? Pick the top ten to be newcomers? Top five? Weed through the top 25 for potential echos that are easily realizable? If it's top ten, we're in and I'm confident in saying so. If it's top five, it's very iffy but chances are still not too bad. Ultimately at this stage, it's a question of how many newcomers are left for us to go at this stage in the game. 2-3 with 4-5 echos? 5-6 with 5-6 echos? Most people I've gotten the pulse of say the former here. So maybe he chose top ten which had a few echos in it?

This is the current no-man's land that we're all in.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Bomberman ran into a kind of identity crisis when it went from 2D to 3D. Mega Bomberman was the apex of the series, then you have Bomberman 64 which was also very good. It was just a little difficult to call it Bomberman in the same sense. It was a clear departure from the gameplay that made it so addictive before so it had to reinvent itself. I just don't think it found something to match up to the same levels of addiction ever from that jump off point. Have no doubts a moveset could easily be made, maybe it's a character they can promote in a future smash?

Also, someone mentioned the roster 'spots' dwindling fast if we actually do get Incineroar and such. I'd argue that the AT 'spots' are dwindling at an even faster rate. I went through the potential returning ones some posts back and speculated that games like Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey are very likely to have ATs of their own. They could also very well get around to adding in a Square Enix AT (however likely or unlikely), but certainly a Street Fighter one and a Punch Out! one. This is not even referencing the fact that you could very well have a lot of old Nintendo icons lost and forgotten and random historical and modern video game characters pop in. If Rayman is not a playable for instance, maybe an AT? And finally any newcomers that are appearing look like they get ATs to accompany them too.

Finally. I really and truly wonder what Sakurai did with the ballot results when he went through them. When everything is said and done, we're going to really get a lot of juicy details inferred by who was decided for this game. What would you do? Pick the top ten to be newcomers? Top five? Weed through the top 25 for potential echos that are easily realizable? If it's top ten, we're in and I'm confident in saying so. If it's top five, it's very iffy but chances are still not too bad. Ultimately at this stage, it's a question of how many newcomers are left for us to go at this stage in the game. 2-3 with 4-5 echos? 5-6 with 5-6 echos? Most people I've gotten the pulse of say the former here. So maybe he chose top ten which had a few echos in it?

Something i noticed while watching Billybae10K Billybae10K 's video on his top ten stages, is that the Electroplankton stage is back from brawl.

Let me tell you this, that stage has a pretty mixed reception through the community.

If Nintendo were willing to bring back a stage that was tied to a game that is really obscure. . .

Then would you really doubt that they would rememebr franchises like CR and GS?

The question is...would they stay assist trophies? or be upgraded?

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Something i noticed while watching Billybae10K Billybae10K 's video on his top ten stages, is that the Electroplankton stage is back from brawl.

Let me tell you this, that stage has a pretty mixed reception through the community.

If Nintendo were willing to bring back a stage that was tied to a game that is really obscure. . .

Personally I thought it was because the Hanenbow stage was probably an easy stage to bring back. Which is probably important when you're putting over 100 stages in the game.

If I had to guess I'd say that's also why we have 75M and not Orbital Gate Assault.

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
Something i noticed while watching Billybae10K Billybae10K Billybae10K Billybae10K 's video on his top ten stages, is that the Electroplankton stage is back from brawl.

There is a very real possibility here that Sakurai is preparing to drop a nuclear bomb on everyone in the last smash direct he does and makes us think he's a crazy man. That 103 stage total? Yeah, it's 120. Don't expect many newcomers? Yeah, here's 10 not including echos. Over 50 ATs? Did I even say that? I guess technically there are; we actually have 82. Hahaha... the Smash god would become a Smash elder god at that point.

As for not remembering CR and GS? Not really, no. Basically because it's in the tagline Ultimate. He's set the bar sky high with this game's motto, scope and vision. The baseline I'm expecting is at least representing everything Nintendo has done at least to some extent with maybe some of the super obscure Japan-only ones being missed. And even then, we already know that Takamaru is an AT and Prince Sable is super likely to be the same.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
There is a very real possibility here that Sakurai is preparing to drop a nuclear bomb on everyone in the last smash direct he does and makes us think he's a crazy man. That 103 stage total? Yeah, it's 120. Don't expect many newcomers? Yeah, here's 10 not including echos. Over 50 ATs? Did I even say that? I guess technically there are; we actually have 82. Hahaha... the Smash god would become a Smash elder god at that point.
While I do expect some kind of "here's more than you thought!" thing happening I think maybe you're going a little overboard.

I really don't know how that stage select screen is going to hold more than 6 more stages without causing the images to become too tiny to see.

The way I see it, those six stages are going to be going to either new franchises being introduced to Smash Bros or new Pokemon/Xenoblade stages. Pokemon Sun & Moon and Xenoblade Chronicles X are really the only two games I could see warranting their own stage right now.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Personally I thought it was because the Hanenbow stage was probably an easy stage to bring back. Which is probably important when you're putting over 100 stages in the game.

If I had to guess I'd say that's also why we have 75M and not Orbital Gate Assault.
Actually, Orbital Gate Assault is not in ultimate.

As for not remembering CR and GS? Not really, no. Basically because it's in the tagline Ultimate. He's set the bar sky high with this game's motto, scope and vision. The baseline I'm expecting is at least representing everything Nintendo has done at least to some extent with maybe some of the super obscure Japan-only ones being missed. And even then, we already know that Takamaru is an AT and Prince Sable is super likely to be the same.
I wouldn't expect my expectations that high. :p

I'm just giving out a theory.

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
Well I do expect some kind of "here's more than you thought!" thing happening I think maybe you're going a little overboard.

I really don't know how that stage select screen is going to hold more than 6 more stages without causing the images to become too tiny to see.
Yeah, I was just joking seeing how crazy the things we've seen so far is, so I exaggerated the numbers a bit. After all, just a post back, my expectations are pretty conservative for newcomer totals. Maybe 2-3 more? We already have so much here, so anything in excess of that would be a welcome surprise. I would just love if Sakurai pulled off one wild ride on his last smash direct for this smash cycle and for what could very well be his last ride as director of the series. You never know.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
WhileI do expect some kind of "here's more than you thought!" thing happening I think maybe you're going a little overboard.

The way I see it, those six stages are going to be going to either new franchises being introduced to Smash Bros or new Pokemon/Xenoblade stages. Pokemon Sun & Moon and Xenoblade Chronicles X are really the only two games I could see warranting their own stage right now.
I'm pretty sure the only stages not shown would be for newcomers from series not yet repped in the game like Golden Sun(or my wants Dragon Quest and Resident Evil)

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
Well pretty much all stages returned so I'm not shocked Hannebow is in and I'm 100% convinced the few remaining stages will come back in DLC packs. That's why there is some important ones like pac maze and poke float missing to keep the DLC interesting.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
That's why I said we had 75M and not Orbital Gate Assault.
o o p s.

Anyways, we better keep our expectations and our crazy theories to a minimum.

Well pretty much all stages returned so I'm not shocked Hannebow is in and I'm 100% convinced the few remaining stages will come back in DLC packs. That's why there is some important ones like pac maze and poke float missing to keep the DLC interesting.
Honestly, i'm not sure why they picked Pac-Land over Pac-maze.

Pac-Land is an abomination against nature.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure the only stages not shown would be for newcomers from series not yet repped in the game like Golden Sun(or my wants Dragon Quest and Resident Evil)
I don't know about that. I think a Pokemon Sun & Moon stage could absolutely be shown off alongside an Incineroar/7th gen Pokemon reveal.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is a little more iffy to me, since I'm not convinced we'll be getting Elma. Although we could get an X stage without a Xenoblade newcomer I sort of feel like they might have revealed it already if it didn't have a newcomer attached to it. Which means there isn't even a Xenoblade X stage.....or they're waiting to reveal Elma alongside it. So the juries out on that one I think.

Also that would mean we were getting 6 newcomers from brand new series and I don't think it's likely that they would all be from new series.

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace

Also on the assist trophy note and dwindling spots, there are obvious ones that have yet to make their return. Like Tingle has been a Zelda assist since Brawl (unless Moon replaced him) chomp thing from Mario feels like possibly an easy return as well. Kid Icarus hasn't had their two assists from 4 confirmed yet either and I'd be surprised if they're both a no show.

Likely a few more like ones that appeared in 4 who will be easy ports over but can't recall off the top of my head at the moment. Correct me if I'm wrong but seems like Gray Fox is so far the only Brawl assist that's been shown off, even from Brawl assists that have appeared in 4, they weren't shown in the montage yet, if I'm not mistaken. Gray Fox was no show on 4 as well bit that's obviously because Snake wasn't in 4 anyways. Though I'm dreading a 'Brawl assist' montage for next direct, of course if Isaac survives that'll help his playability chances even more in the off chance he's not the newcomer in the September direct and saved for a Smash centered one.

Of course there's also chances of new assist in general taking spots, some of the older series roster of characters are getting new assists in addition to some ballot choices like Shovel Knight. Once again correct me if my memory is hazy and some assists I mentioned have been shown off or something.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't think its as big of a deal as you're thinking, I think it will just expand to include more for DLC.

Also that would mean we were getting 6 newcomers from brand new series and I don't think it's likely that they would all be from new franchises.
I'm currently betting on DK, Metroid, and Pokemon as still having new stages. DK and Metroid are both missing 2/6 of their past stages and both have new games to draw from (last time DK didn't get a new stage revealed until the final Direct anyway). Kirby has all 6 of its stages and Sakurai doesn't include much content from newer titles there anyway. No Kirby game he didn't work on has a stage in Smash.

Honorable mentions to Star Fox and Xenoblade, but I get the feeling we'll see a Xenoblade 2 DLC stage instead and Star Fox will stick to what it has.

I'd argue that the AT 'spots' are dwindling at an even faster rate. I went through the potential returning ones some posts back and speculated that games like Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey are very likely to have ATs of their own. They could also very well get around to adding in a Square Enix AT (however likely or unlikely), but certainly a Street Fighter one and a Punch Out! one. This is not even referencing the fact that you could very well have a lot of old Nintendo icons lost and forgotten and random historical and modern video game characters pop in. If Rayman is not a playable for instance, maybe an AT? And finally any newcomers that are appearing look like they get ATs to accompany them too.

I'm getting the feeling that we may just have more AT's than previously expected.

alguidrag

Smash Ace
I expect something like that

/shows a ton of AT/

Sakurai:" With this you now saw all the AT on the game... but surely some faces are not there"

Smashers fighting in dunno... a TLoZ stage and one of then looks to the sky, the moon is falling and Skull kid is surfing on it ( Skull kid Reveal)

link gets ready to do something but....

A giant spectral hand holds it and then many swords hit the moon with a giant one finishing the job(odyssey) the Smashers looks to the one who did this, Isaac give a thumbs up(Isaac's reveal) then Lil Mac comes close, Dark Samus too and Skull Kid gets up, and start the gameplay trailer for the 2 new fighters

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
We're not getting anything Xenoblade, roster is limited this time, XenoX didn't do good and Xeno2 just came out. At best an assist trophy.
XenoX Did sell much better than the first.

And that was on the wii u.

But will elma get a character? Depends if sakurai wants to, as he did buy XenoX a year after the development started.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
o o p s.

Anyways, we better keep our expectations and our crazy theories to a minimum.

Honestly, i'm not sure why they picked Pac-Land over Pac-maze.

Pac-Land is an abomination against nature.
Clearly Pac-Land is back to torture us with another 'Fairy Nice Trip' type of event lol

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Some of the new assists I could see happening: (due to being relatively prominent Nintendo characters or being popular on the exit poll)

Chibi Robo
Phoenix Wright
Paper Mario
Xenoblade X Character
Shantae
Snipperclips
Jibyanyan
Professor Layton (I wasn't going to include him but since he's under the same company as Jibyanyan, maybe they'll double down and get Layton too)
Wonder Red
Captain Fleming (though honestly I'm not sure if Steam did well enough to even warrant an assist trophy)
Magolor (I think a boss is more likely, but he could be an assist either or as well)
Rhythm Heaven character
*Insert obscure Nintendo character here*
Street Fighter assist (Such as Chun Li)
Final Fantasy assist (no idea who though)

I could certainly see some of these being playable, but I'm kinda leaning towards them being assist trophies right now. (or just not appearing at all, being kept for dlc)

That's not to mention if certain characters get in as playable they might get assists too. Though some series like Punch Out or Ice Climbers don't have assists so it's not a guarantee.

Geno - Mallow
Isaac - Felix/Matthew
Banjo & Kazooie - Mumbo Jumbo/Grunty
Rayman - Probably a Rabbid

Last edited:

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
XenoX Did sell much better than the first.

And that was on the wii u.

But will elma get a character? Depends if sakurai wants to, as he did buy XenoX a year after the development started.
But Xeno1 was critically acclaimed while X huh not so much. Also why would they include Elma when they have their brand new Xeno2 for switch to promote. The way I see it, we'll get some Xeno2 stuff for DLC but nothing Xeno (aside from shulk and co) in the base game.
Talking about DLC I'd love for some Octopath stage / music / assist.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Clearly Pac-Land is back to torture us with another 'Fairy Nice Trip' type of event lol
INTERNAL SCREAMING.

W H A T

But Xeno1 was critically acclaimed while X huh not so much. Also why would they include Elma when they have their brand new Xeno2 for switch to promote. The way I see it, we'll get some Xeno2 stuff for DLC but nothing Xeno (aside from shulk and co) in the base game.
Talking about DLC I'd love for some Octopath stage / music / assist.
I mean, i don't like X, but i'm sure other people do.

Also, i doubt we'd get a Xeno2 stage since it was released late last year.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, i've heard Rayman be a possible 3rd party newcomer.

But i must ask...how would his amiibo even exist?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Also, i've heard Rayman be a possible 3rd party newcomer.

But i must ask...how would his amiibo even exist?
They'll make Rayman an Assist Trophy so they don't have to make an amiibo for him. :D

Some of the new assists I could see happening: (due to being relatively prominent Nintendo characters or being popular on the exit poll)

Chibi Robo
Phoenix Wright
Paper Mario
Xenoblade X Character
Shantae
Snipperclips
Jibyanyan
Professor Layton (I wasn't going to include him but since he's under the same company as Jibyanyan, maybe they'll double down and get Layton too)
Wonder Red
Captain Fleming (though honestly I'm not sure if Steam did well enough to even warrant an assist trophy)
Magolor (I think a boss is more likely, but he could be an assist either or as well)
Rhythm Heaven character
*Insert obscure Nintendo character here*
Street Fighter assist (Such as Chun Li)
Final Fantasy assist (no idea who though)

I could certainly see some of these being playable, but I'm kinda leaning towards them being assist trophies right now. (or just not appearing at all, being kept for dlc)

That's not to mention if certain characters get in as playable they might get assists too. Though some series like Punch Out or Ice Climbers don't have assists so it's not a guarantee.

Geno - Mallow
Isaac - Felix/Matthew
Banjo & Kazooie - Mumbo Jumbo/Grunty
Rayman - Probably a Rabbid
I'm thinking of Chibi Robo, Paper Mario, Elma (if she's not playable), Shantae, Wonder Red, Magalor, a Rhythm Heaven character, Lip, Terra/Tifa/Geno (Geno could replace an FF AT).

For Golden Sun I'd sooner bet on Jenna being an AT, with Felix as an Echo.

Top Bottom