• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
They were also quite torn on Geno til pretty recently. There are staunch supporters over there, but he doesn't exactly align with the Smash 4 style of addition, so you can imagine the discord.
It makes me wonder how they'll react if Isaac gets in.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
You know it honestly doesn't matter if people write off Isaac as just "another anime swordsman" because as Chrom shows clearly Sakurai isn't paying any attention to that bit of criticism. They can hurl that all they want to make themselves feel better but it doesn't hurt Isaac at all.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Gotta admit, I kinda hated the Smash 4 style of addition (even though it netted us some great characters like Rosalina) so I think I would hate that place too. I’ll keep in mind to stay away from there.
Same here. In the beginning I didn't feel for any newcomer. Most really grew on me now. But I specifically wanted certain character who got ib Smash 4 OUT... For example Pac Man, Mii, Cloud.. Got upset about Greninja "taking Mewtwo's spot" (retrospectively I like Greninja best out of all newcomers in 4 lol), the 3rd party explosion, strange cuts as Lucas and Wolf, Mii Fighters being even more lame than expected, relevance and sales mattering before anything else.. am thankful Ultimate is doing the exact opposite.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Same here. In the beginning I didn't feel for any newcomer. Most really grew on me now. But I specifically wanted certain character who got ib Smash 4 OUT... For example Pac Man, Mii, Cloud.. Got upset about Greninja "taking Mewtwo's spot" (retrospectively I like Greninja best out of all newcomers in 4 lol), the 3rd party explosion, strange cuts as Lucas and Wolf, Mii Fighters being even more lame than expected, relevance and sales mattering before anything else.. am thankful Ultimate is doing the exact opposite.
Don't take this the wrong way but I'm kind of glad you aren't designing the roster.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Okay, so what i meant by they compared WR to Inkling since because Inkling was the most recent character, then WR has a shot. But relavancy has been proven to not be a barrior after King K Rool's reveal. (Besides, i think it would be difficult to make into a fighter.)

and i agree with tveye tveye . Nintendo SHOULD be about Nintendo's history, That's why some choices Sakurai made with Smash 4 made me frustrated. (Mostly the degradation of old franchises like Custom Robo and Golden Sun.) I felt like they had willingly tried to forget those games existed. Which disappointed me.

TLDR; People should not be in the "smash 4" mindset. they should be in the "Smash Ultimate" mindset.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Don't take this the wrong way but I'm kind of glad you aren't designing the roster.
We would've gotten Diddy, Dixie and K.Rool all in Melee at the very least.

Your loss, mine loss, all of our losses.

ALSO ISAAC!!! Totally forgot which thread I was in for a second... :laugh:

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Here's an interesting idea, what if the remake looks like Dark Dawn (but with updated graphics),
and how would you feel about it?
I don't think it would happen....

but I'd kinda love if Studio Ghibli worked with Camelot on a Golden Sun game.

Though I guess that would be invading Ni No Kuni's territory....and Studio Ghibli probably wouldn't do it anyway. I don't know what their exact relationship with Ni No Kuni is, did they create all the characters or just supply the art direction/animating?

Though maybe if that happened we'd lose Golden Suns charm? So I'm not sure if I'd want that...

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Your reaction: Golden Sun gets a new game but it's a cross over with Fire Emblem. :ultmarth:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Your reaction: Golden Sun gets a new game but it's a cross over with Fire Emblem. :ultmarth:
Sassy Glamour: #FE

Featuring the cast of Golden Sun dancing and singing with Fire Emblem characters.

(As a SMT fan, i seriously wouldn't wish for another crossover with FE.)

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Another your reaction question:

Isaac gets into Ultimate! But he was hastily done, and borrows a lot from existing characters.

Normals are basically all Cloud's.
Side B is Growth which works like Villager's tree sprout but with Psynergy to grow the plant.
Up B is a standard teleport animation
Down B is like DK's ground slap but used in his own fashion, exactly the same move tho
And Neutral B is Ragnarok but it functions almost exactly like Roy's Neutral B

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
My reaction: wait what? so is it going to be a strategy game, a turn based JRPG or a mixture of both? How would the Djinn play into this and wouldn't the fire emblem characters be under powered since most of them can only use either magic or weapons and not both?

ZelDan

Smash Master
Eh, I didn't mind Smash 4's roster handling for the most part. I liked seeing Rosalina, DEFINITELY Megaman, Pac-Man, Palutena and even Dark Pit (though ideally he would have had a different moveset), Lucina and kinda Robin (Chrom would have been better but atleast Robin brought a unique moveset), both Little Mac and Duck hunt made for cool retro reps, Shulk was great, I pretty much liked every DLC inclusion, Animal Crossing was a sensible inclusion...

Obviously some characters I wanted didn't make it into Smash 4, though what characters DID make it into Smash 4 I was still quite satisfied with.

User Name String

Smash Apprentice
Another your reaction question:

Isaac gets into Ultimate! But he was hastily done, and borrows a lot from existing characters.

Normals are basically all Cloud's.
Side B is Growth which works like Villager's tree sprout but with Psynergy to grow the plant.
Up B is a standard teleport animation
Down B is like DK's ground slap but used in his own fashion, exactly the same move tho
And Neutral B is Ragnarok but it functions almost exactly like Roy's Neutral B
Excuse me but you forgot his counter.

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
I don't think it would happen....

but I'd kinda love if Studio Ghibli worked with Camelot on a Golden Sun game.

Though I guess that would be invading Ni No Kuni's territory....and Studio Ghibli probably wouldn't do it anyway. I don't know what their exact relationship with Ni No Kuni is, did they create all the characters or just supply the art direction/animating?

Though maybe if that happened we'd lose Golden Suns charm? So I'm not sure if I'd want that...
Speaking of art styles...
I found out a month ago that the illustrator of "Golden Sun" Hiroshi Kajiyama passed away.
It was saddening to hear about the news and may he rest in piece, but it also made me curious. if they were to revive the series,
would they keep the same art style, or would it be something else?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Nintendo SHOULD be about Nintendo's history
Apparently, according to some people, only newcomers from the NES-era and recent games have any merits.

At any rate, Isaac would definitely be the type of character that, even if he's not all that well-known, would be pretty easy sell for people just because of his diverse and creative powers. Add the fact that he's from a new Nintendo franchise, and you've got yourself some diversity. Inkling is the only newcomer that comes from a new Nintendo franchise, so for the sake of variety, it would be nice to have another one. Isaac would be a good choice in that regard.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Keep in mind that's not Smash's general audience, that's just any given person on the street. Obv the typical Smash player won't know close to every character, but they'll know more than them.

As i've said, i'm pretty sure the general audience does't even know what each fire emblem charcater is.

So the people who say that "The general audience doesnt care about Isaac!". Well, i'm sure they don't care about about 75% of the smash cast either.

Though, i'm sure the regular smash audience and smash audience would care. :)

Since every smash game has 3 debuting nintendo franchise reps, i would hope RH, CR, or even ST gets a shot. ;)

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
It's really, really funny to me how, back during the Sm4sh speculation period. Everyone was certain we'd get fan requested characters, and then we got characters who were generally recent and/or relevant with a few exceptions
Recent Smash 4 Characters: :ultbayonetta::ultbowserjr::ultcorrin::ultgreninja::ultlucina::ultdarkpit::ultrobin:ultrosalina::ultryu::ultshulk::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer:
Not really relevant: :ultmegaman::ultlittlemac::ultpacman::ultduckhunt:

Now we're in Smash Ultimate's speculation period, all evidence points to fan requested characters getting in (:ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool:) and yet people are still stuck on the train of thought of relevancy (only Inkling is actually relevant, Chrom's game came out before Smash 4 and Ridley's last appearance in Metroid was as a secret final boss or something).

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
As a K. Rool fan, by the time Rosalina was revealed, I had pretty much thrown in the towel on him - all the newcomers had "check out [their recent game]" on their website, which was death for him. The Kritters in Smash Run gave me a little bit of optimism, but then the relevancy trend continued. I held out hope we would still get Ridley and Dixie due to their recent appearances, but having neither of those as well really felt like a low blow. The only time I got genuinely excited over a character's inclusion after Mega Man was Cloud (well, I was pretty happy about Palutena, but I also sorta expected her).

The Smash 4 roster isn't bad... it's just not exciting.

Also ResetERA sucks.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Gotta admit, I kinda hated the Smash 4 style of addition (even though it netted us some great characters like Rosalina) so I think I would hate that place too. I’ll keep in mind to stay away from there.
Yeah idk resetera's Smash scene is kind of a bummer. It's very inside the box. Which isn't really how Smash ever plays out.

I also wasn't huge on the Smash 4 style of addition. That kind of newcomer pool seeks to serve Nintendo best, then the consumer. I don't have a problem with focusing on the recent, but at the exclusion of everything else seems unbalanced. And I suppose this way isn't the most balanced either, but frankly I'd rather the fanbase get placated than the company. It's not like the larger audience won't still be drawn to the newcomers just because the more dedicated fanbase chose them.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
(only Inkling is actually relevant, Chrom's game came out before Smash 4 and Ridley last appearance in Metroid was as a secret final boss or something).
That was a 2017 game, and the roster at the latest was being finalised probably around early-to-mid 2016, if not even earlier, and the latest game around that time would have been Federation Force, which had no Ridley. Given how little 2017 games factor into the roster (hence no Spring Man or Rex) as well as Ridley's last major appearance being in a 2010 game, he certainly wasn't "relevant" at the time.

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
Well that's the point of the smash roster, people from every categories of players can find a face they recognize and thus want to play as. That's why Sakurai added the Wii fit trainer in the first place. The mom who use to do her exercise on the wii can now join her kids and play. And also because it's hilarious ^^

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I also wasn't huge on the Smash 4 style of addition. That kind of newcomer pools seeks to serve Nintendo best, then the consumer. I don't have a problem with focusing on the recent, but at the exclusion of everything else seems unbalanced. And I suppose this way isn't the most balanced either, but frankly I'd rather the fanbase get placated than the company. It's not like the larger audience won't still be drawn to the newcomers just because the more dedicated fanbase chose them.
At least with :ultkrool::ultridley:we're finally getting giant powerhouse-type characters as newcomers, which was something incredibly lacking within the Smash 4 roster in terms of diversity.

tveye

Smash Journeyman
Recent Smash 4 Characters: :ultbayonetta::ultbowserjr::ultcorrin::ultgreninja::ultlucina::ultdarkpit::ultrobin:ultrosalina::ultryu::ultshulk::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer:
Not really relevant: :ultmegaman::ultlittlemac::ultpacman::ultduckhunt:
Smash is the kind of series that is also responsible for boosting the popularity of certain franchises. Bayonetta 2 received a HUGE boost in sales after she was announced in Smash. So much so that copies of it were going for around $80. Same thing with Xenoblade Chronicles. That game wasn't very successful but after Shulk was shown to be in Smash, you couldn't find a copy of his game for less than $70.
Mega Man is another series that was given new life thanks to Smash Bros. Honestly, relevancy should be ignored for the most part.
Ridley last appearance in Metroid was as a secret final boss or something).
He was the true final boss of Samus Returns. It was a really awesome fight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXHoEWLl7tA

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
That was a 2017 game, and the roster at the latest was being finalised probably around early-to-mid 2016, if not even earlier, and the latest game around that time would have been Federation Force, which had no Ridley. Given how little 2017 games factor into the roster (hence no Spring Man or Rex) as well as Ridley's last major appearance being in a 2010 game, he certainly wasn't "relevant" at the time.
Yeah, that makes my point even more strongly. XD
~1:00 in.
:4drmario: "Durr... Mario?"
I mean he's not wrong.

CheckmateChuck

Smash Journeyman
True, Smash 4 basegames additions have been pretty lackluster. I just realised that, with the exception of Shulk, I couldn't really get excited for any Smash 4 newcomer and so I neer really ended up playing as them for too long. Especially Dark Pit killed a lot of excitement I had for the game. I just played Marth & Captain Falcon most of the time, so it didn't really feel like much of a new game to me. With Ultimate however that's a different story entirely. I can already see myself playing most of the newcomers regularly and that's pretty incredible.

I do still need a good main though, preferably someone with a sword and blond hair who isn't from Final Fantasy or Xenoblade. Any ideas?

StormC

Smash Hero
Smash is the kind of series that is also responsible for boosting the popularity of certain franchises. Bayonetta 2 received a HUGE boost in sales after she was announced in Smash. So much so that copies of it were going for around $80. Same thing with Xenoblade Chronicles. That game wasn't very successful but after Shulk was shown to be in Smash, you couldn't find a copy of his game for less than $70.
Er... all that means is people were selling the game at high prices second hand. Nintendo wasn't seeing any of that money.

tveye

Smash Journeyman
Er... all that means is people were selling the game at high prices second hand. Nintendo wasn't seeing any of that money.
They did, considering both games were re-released in high volumes afterwards. They're more affordable now.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Mega Man is another series that was given new life thanks to Smash Bros. Honestly, relevancy should be ignored for the most part.

He was the true final boss of Samus Returns. It was a really awesome fight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXHoEWLl7tA
I was so glad Shulk was in smash. Xenoblade was introduced to me after playing Smash 4.

1. That's meta ridley. So does that mean that Metroid Prime is now canon by Sakamoto?
2. Why does ridley look so oversatured with his skin?

StormC

Smash Hero
I was so glad Shulk was in smash. Xenoblade was introduced to me after playing Smash 4.

1. That's meta ridley. So does that mean that Metroid Prime is now canon by Sakamoto?
2. Why does ridley look so oversatured with his skin?
Sakamoto has never said Prime wasn't canon, just that it was a side story.

Top Bottom