• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
The only way Sakurai is lying is if we have less than 50. Just because 50+ implies less than 60 doesn't mean there CAN'T be more than 60. 60+ is also 50+, after all.
I know, I thought that was implied but I guess I should have worded it better.

Being vague or "fudging the truth" may have been a better way of putting it.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
He had a screenshot of it with his post though

The problem is that i could only copy it. And since everyone that copied it seemed to get the same result, it's pretty telling that it was real.

Another thing is that the screenshot implies that Nintendo had put out those "hints", so he was most definitely talking about SK or Isaac in that case. Most definitely isaac.

Don't put much stock in what he says though.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The next Nintendo Direct is probably at the start of September. We're probably going to get one in October too.

I would bet on a Smash Ultimate Direct about 2-3 weeks before the game launches too where Sakurai just drops everything.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
It's a different one though.
Sorry, but it was deleted in 10 minutes. Not much time to screenshot it.

Most others who copied it can tell you that's what it definitely said.

The next Nintendo Direct is probably at the start of September. We're probably going to get one in October too.

I would bet on a Smash Ultimate Direct about 2-3 weeks before the game launches too where Sakurai just drops everything.
We need to at least get out of august first, then we worry about September.

Mav485

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1504-7090-2374
Switch FC
SW 7228 3594 2505
Fwiw, Advance Wars would be the next series I would want to see mined for a character after Golden Sun. I kind of think Nell could be a good choice for a rep if it somehow received a playable character. She could call in different units and commanders for her moveset so that maybe we could get cameos from various AW stalwarts.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
We need to at least get out of august first, then we worry about September.
I think at least 20% of the fanbase doesn't have the patience to survive that long TBH! :laugh:

The hype here is even crazier than with Brawl when the Dojo started revealing characters 11 years ago... which is nuts.

I never thought we would reach that level of hype again on a single incident basis (the Cloud reveal definitely topped that though), but this whole game since the debut Direct (even the Inklings reveal) has just had immense hype.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I mainly made this account to support Elma, but Isaac is probably my second most wanted newcomer out of the characters that I like and think have a chance. I'm supporting!
Even if I technically would take Felix over Isaac, but hey, why not both with an Echo

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I think at least 20% of the fanbase doesn't have the patience to survive that long TBH! :laugh:

The hype here is even crazier than with Brawl when the Dojo started revealing characters 11 years ago... which is nuts.

I never thought we would reach that level of hype again on a single incident basis (the Cloud reveal definitely topped that though), but this whole game since the debut Direct (even the Inklings reveal) has just had immense hype.
The dang direct started with every vederan returning, and Ridley being the first newcomer.

It's wayy too hype.

I mainly made this account to support Elma, but Isaac is probably my second most wanted newcomer out of the characters that I like and think have a chance. I'm supporting!
Even if I technically would take Felix over Isaac, but hey, why not both with an Echo
Honestly, we might get an echo too.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think K Rool is a special case. Since the ballot wasn't exactly used for Smash 4 like we thought it would be the Mii costume for him was likely what he got for winning till he could be added in Ultimate. Every other costume were just fun additions that gave players a chance to pretend to be characters that weren't going to added for Smash 4. They were in no way meant to be a vision of things to come. Otherwise, we shouldn't have Ridley, Simon, Richter, or Daisy. Not to mention that every character added with a mii costume had external factors outside of the costumes that are likely the actual reason for their inclusion. K Rool is a popularity juggernaut, Chrom already had a moveset planned in Smash 4 and echos exist, Inklings are a freaking phenomenon, and Dark Samus is a quick edit of Samus. So yeah all things considered I wouldn't bother being worried about who does and doesn't have a costume.
Insider info on DKVine suggests that the K. Rool costume was a response to how genuinely shocked Nintendo and Sakurai were at K. Rool's popularity, and it was meant as a "sorry, this is the best we can do right now" type of thing. Since Isaac was already an AT in Brawl, perhaps they were less surprised by how well he did on the ballot.

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
The problem is that most smash fans don't probably see the moveset of that type of "character". Tis a shame.

The problem is that he made that tweet and deactivated his account. And no one had time to screenshot it.

But yes. Real people copies and pasted it.

"Isaac is probably in. I need to do some more digging first. Stay tuned!"

and i managed to snag this.

View attachment 158510

Loz is a bull****ter who got his direct info from someone who helped set up at E3

No one knows anything coming to characters, I can tell you that.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
Hi! I always read smashboards but since english its not my first languaje I never registered.

I'm always on this thread because Isaac is my most wanted newcomer. And I was reading now that someone was asking about loz18's tweet about Isaac and I took an screenshot that day becuase I comment it with my friends. Hope you find it useful

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Felix as an Isaac Echo is the ultimate "why can't we have both" situation done the right way.

Sakurai and the Smash Ultimate character dev team are freaking geniuses with this Smash Ultimate "Echo Fighter" system, because these #2 characters people want are not totally feasible.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Hi! I always read smashboards but since english its not my first languaje I never registered.

I'm always on this thread because Isaac is my most wanted newcomer. And I was reading now that someone was asking about loz18's tweet about Isaac and I took an screenshot that day becuase I comment it with my friends. Hope you find it useful
What a champion, thank you so much

Onassi2

Smash Cadet

Thanks for the find! That really helps.

Loz is kinda all over the place. I want to believe him but I’m not even sure what he saw or heard that could warrant a response like that. I don’t trust him, but I’ll keep an eye on the guy.

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
Felix as an Isaac Echo is the ultimate "why can't we have both" situation done the right way.

Sakurai and the Smash Ultimate character dev team are freaking geniuses with this Smash Ultimate "Echo Fighter" system, because these #2 characters people want are not totally feasible.
I kinda feel like that could be the case, richter belmont is more popular but simon is more iconic. So have both pretty much

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
I really love these echo fighters, I remember when Smahs 4 came out I was really pissed at the 3 clones because it felt unnecessary, out of place and awkward while now it's really clear, distinct and well presented. Can't wait for more.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
So I’ve been thinking about what Sakurai said about not expect too many newcomers. How many do you think we’re getting? Previous Smash games had 14-16 newcomers. Personally I think we’re fe ting 7 or 8.

REVEALED
1. Inklings
2. Ridley
3. Simon
4. K. Rool

NOT YET REVEALED
5. Isaac
6. Skull Kid
7. Geno
8. [Wild Card] could be Bandana Dee or a Rhythem Heaven character.

Aside from echoes this makes the most sense. It’s less than previous games, but still a nice number. It’s nearly everything people have been wanting.

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
I really love these echo fighters, I remember when Smahs 4 came out I was really pissed at the 3 clones because it felt unnecessary, out of place and awkward while now it's really clear, distinct and well presented. Can't wait for more.
People love Echos due to the fact that they don't "claim a spot. Which is true, however, I am afraid that they might still be counted as "new comers" and the "few more" to be shown will be 2 echoes and 1 non echo

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Felix as an Echo or Alt discussions: The real question to ask ourselves is if he has enough personality to differentiate as an echo with animations and whatnot. I'd say he does, personally.

I think, while the Echo Fighter brand is definitely helping, the clarity and genuine sincerity that isn't just in interviews helps a lot

It also helps that they're putting in echo's people have been asking for for a while.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
There's probably not much to say there, except hope for DLC. While here, we have quite a bit going for us right now. Especially the tweet from Sakurai. I honestly wouldn't be mad if that tweet turned out to be a coincidence because it revitalized fan's hope for Isaac and Golden Sun. It's gotten people to talk about it again after all these years. So, thank you, Sakurai. And I'll be thanking him more when Isaac is revealed as a new fighter!
Has something happened!? Leaks eh, hmm..

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Felix as an Echo or Alt discussions: The real question to ask ourselves is if he has enough personality to differentiate as an echo with animations and whatnot. I'd say he does, personally.

I think, while the Echo Fighter brand is definitely helping, the clarity and genuine sincerity that isn't just in interviews helps a lot

It also helps that they're putting in echo's people have been asking for for a while.
I think it has all to do with Marketing, as well as being upfront when it comes to echo fighters.

Istry555

Smash Cadet
So I’ve been thinking about what Sakurai said about not expect too many newcomers. How many do you think we’re getting? Previous Smash games had 14-16 newcomers. Personally I think we’re fe ting 7 or 8.

REVEALED
1. Inklings
2. Ridley
3. Simon
4. K. Rool

NOT YET REVEALED
5. Isaac
6. Skull Kid
7. Geno

Aside from echoes this makes the most sense. It’s less than previous games, but still a nice number. It’s nearly everything people have been wanting.
That would be an ideal final roster, but it assumes we won't get another Pokemon (which we always do), there won't be an [NES] style retro rep (does Geno count for retro?), and there won't be another 3rd party which I find hard to believe at this point given how much Smash has been pushing in that direction (and Namco is kind of owed a second character at this point).

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord

REVEALED
1. Inklings
2. Ridley
3. Simon
4. K. Rool

NOT YET REVEALED
5. Isaac
6. Skull Kid
7. Geno

4 is what I expect, but up to 6 is also very possible.

Geno, Skull Kid, Bandana Dee, a Pokemon, Isaac, and Banjo & Kazooie would be my picks for six characters, though somebody like Heihachi/Lloyd, Rayman, Elma, a Rhythm Heaven character, or a retro character might squeeze in there somewhere.

I just really hope that even if Sakurai's tweet wasn't a reference, he saw and was pleasantly floored by the reactions from Isaac and Golden Sun fans.

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace

REVEALED
1. Inklings
2. Ridley
3. Simon
4. K. Rool

NOT YET REVEALED
5. Isaac
6. Skull Kid
7. Geno

You just summed up my thoughts. Wild card is definitely Rhythm heaven for me and I'm still skeptical about skull kid though, I think he's just super hyped as of recently but nothing points at him really.

StormC

Smash Hero

REVEALED
1. Inklings
2. Ridley
3. Simon
4. K. Rool

NOT YET REVEALED
5. Isaac
6. Skull Kid
7. Geno

My current prediction is Incineroar, Skull Kid, Isaac/Bandana Dee, and Banjo-Kazooie. 3-4 more reveals left overall.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
That would be an ideal final roster, but it assumes we won't get another Pokemon (which we always do), there won't be an [NES] style retro rep (does Geno count for retro?), and there won't be another 3rd party which I find hard to believe at this point given how much Smash has been pushing in that direction (and Namco is kind of owed a second character at this point).
This game is breaking a lot of conventions so it's entirely possible we don't get a retro character because Sakurai is focusing on highly requested characters. It's also more than likely that we don't get a new Pokemon with the amount we have now, the fact that "we always get a new Pokemon" isn't really a great argument. Finally, Namco isn't owed a character. Nothing about working with them means they have to have 2+ characters in Smash. Sakurai doesn't just toss in 3rd parties for the lulz.

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
I think the whole community has an idea of who will be shown off next if we are going my the Smash Polls.

Being honest,

REVEALED
1. Inklings
2. Ridley
3. Simon
4. K. Rool

NOT YET REVEALED
5. Isaac
6. Skull Kid
7. Geno

This would be the perfect roaster. ARMS and the new xeno and Banjo for DLC would be Icing on the cake.

At this point in time Isaac is #1

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
4 is what I expect, but up to 6 is also very possible.

Geno, Skull Kid, Bandana Dee, a Pokemon, Isaac, and Banjo & Kazooie would be my picks for six characters, though somebody like Heihachi/Lloyd, Rayman, Elma, a Rhythm Heaven character, or a retro character might squeeze in there somewhere.

I just really hope that even if Sakurai's tweet wasn't a reference, he saw and was pleasantly floored by the reactions from Isaac and Golden Sun fans.
I'm going take out Skull kid, and replace him with CR, as Skull Kid wasn't even on the list because he was an assist trophy.

It terms of a retro character, Mike Jones sounds about right.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

REVEALED
1. Inklings
2. Ridley
3. Simon
4. K. Rool

NOT YET REVEALED
5. Isaac
6. Skull Kid
7. Geno

Personally I'm expecting at least four more unique newcomers. Maybe a 5th one but I don't feel as confident about that.

I don't know about echoes, it could go anywhere with them. I'm sure people are expecting a whole heap of echoes but really I would expect them to show off all the echoes sooner rather than later....and then focus more on unique fighters closer to the release date.

I know people think that they won't focus on the ballot for dlc characters, but think about it if they were so taken aback by King K. Rools popularity they might want to focus even more on the ballot since it's pretty much their main source of information on characters people love.

King K. Rool was the most wanted character in Japan right? If they didn't know he was crazy popular in their own country then well.....they're probably going to want to hold on to that ballot for as long as possible. I don't think they're going to suddenly throw the ballot away when they're deciding on dlc. (for example I think Rayman has a decent shot at getting in as dlc)

I think there's only two real Nintendo standouts that are likely to get dlc purely based on relevancy anyway. Rex & Pyra and Spring Man/Ribbon Girl. Even then people were expecting the Inklings to be a lock for dlc in the last game but it didn't pan out that way. So who knows if we'll even get an Arms rep through dlc? I certainly don't think it's close to being a lock.

I feel like dlc (if we get it at all) will probably focus on a combination of relevancy and tying up loose ends on the ballot.

Last edited:

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
This game is breaking a lot of conventions so it's entirely possible we don't get a retro character because Sakurai is focusing on highly requested characters. It's also more than likely that we don't get a new Pokemon with the amount we have now, the fact that "we always get a new Pokemon" isn't really a great argument. Finally, Namco isn't owed a character. Nothing about working with them means they have to have 2+ characters in Smash. Sakurai doesn't just toss in 3rd parties for the lulz.
(I apologize for double post, mods, I use my phone and not entirely sure how to edit and add a quote feel free to merge it with my above post)

If people are expecting a Retro character I don’t think they should be. As we’ve already gotten an NES retro character in Simon Belmont. Complete with awkward animations of the NES era to boot.

As for Pokemon. Eh. Since fan desires is obviously playing a huge part in this Smash I don’t think Decidueye is gonna make it. the fan base around it is... not entirely vocal compared to other characters and people only expect it because it’s a Gen 7 relavent Pokemon, and relevancy has been thrown out the window this time around. Heck, I’d expect Gardevoir over Decidueye or Inciniroar.

As for Namco rep. The only one people would be happy with is Lloyd Irving. And yeah, there’s still a chance... but do we really want him? I mean the only thing that makes his different than other sword users is the fact that he has two swords... ooooooh~ At least Isaac has magic to differentiate him.

alguidrag

Smash Ace
Go Isaac!
(I apologize for double post, mods, I use my phone and not entirely sure how to edit and add a quote feel free to merge it with my above post)

If people are expecting a Retro character I don’t think they should be. As we’ve already gotten an NES retro character in Simon Belmont. Complete with awkward animations of the NES era to boot.

As for Pokemon. Eh. Since fan desires is obviously playing a huge part in this Smash I don’t think Decidueye is gonna make it. the fan base around it is... not entirely vocal compared to other characters and people only expect it because it’s a Gen 7 relavent Pokemon, and relevancy has been thrown out the window this time around. Heck, I’d expect Gardevoir over Decidueye or Inciniroar.

As for Namco rep. The only one people would be happy with is Lloyd Irving. And yeah, there’s still a chance... but do we really want him? I mean the only thing that makes his different than other sword users is the fact that he has two swords... ooooooh~ At least Isaac has magic to differentiate him.
For Pokemon member... I WANT ALOLAN TRAINER!

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I want Isaac most of all as well, but Lloyd definitely does have potential to be interesting. The Tales series has a mechanic called b move chaining, which allows you to link basic attacks into special attacks, and also specials into higher levelled specials.

My top priority is definitely Isaac however, he's too overdue

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I mean considering the entire mentality of "just a swordsmen" is really dumb, kinda. It's never about what a character uses, it's how they use it that matters. So it straight doesn't matter whether Llyod has 2 swords or 60, what matters is he fights completely differently to anyone already on the cast. Oh and that's not even counting the fact that he comes from a great game and is an interesting character which who a character is should always trump what a character is in my opinion. I actually don't even care for Llyod joining the roster I just really hate the "being a swordsman is bad" idea around smash speculation, it's so dumb.

Top Bottom