• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

James Tutumbero

Smash Rookie
Sorry of this has been mentioned before but I'm replaying The Lost Age right now and Felix's first Djinn is called 'Echo'. :laugh:

¡Bienvenido, nuevo amigo! Tu inglés es excelente. Estoy aprendiendo español en Argentina en esto momento. Tu idioma es muy dificíl!
¡Genial! Lo único que ha fallado ha sido el "esto" que en ese caso sería "este".
Anyway, I actually found the English easy to learn.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Decloning really a hard thing to justify, though. Why keep working on characters who couldn't even get in as unique characters, when you could be working on new characters?
"who couldn't even get in as unique characters"? As I said, they were likely clones added at the last moment as roster filler. Just because they could fill that role as a clone does not mean that is what they inherently should be. During the Brawl speculation a lot of people were requesting Toon Link long before he was revealed as a clone in the final roster, and had made tons of unique movesets for him to have.

The toughness of properly representing the Zelda series in the Smash series is another factor, here. A lot of Zelda characters are one-offs, thus it's kind of awkward to represent them. That didn't stop Sheik - but she is a transformation of Zelda's, so I think that made the difference in her favor. In the end, Toon Link is a perfect unique character to add to represent several games in the Zelda franchise, even though he is another Link. They are actually separate characters from each other. Thus, having Toon Link be a clone instead of a unique character does a disservice to representing the Zelda franchise.

One of my biggest wishes in a future Smash, no matter how sadly implausible it may be at this point, is to see Toon Link and Ganondorf get their own completely unique movesets. There's only so many characters you can add in the Zelda franchise. Making the current ones unique is the best move for the representation of the franchise if you ask me.

EDIT: Also, it's not like sword users have more clones than others.
I think people just lump sword fighters together and act like they're some big issue with the SSB series. It's kind of funny, you don't see this with other kinds of fighting styles. Like you'll never hear anyone complain about too many characters who use their fists.

James Tutumbero

Smash Rookie
I found this paragraph very interesting:
"When the character is in Smash, they are performing, the character must carry over their playstyle from the original game as much as possible and characters are created as a combination of their source material and Smash's game design and dynamic characters"
The second sentence made me think how a moveset from Isaac could fit in Smash, without making it very complex.

EDIT: Grammar errors lol

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I found this paragraph very interesting:
"When the character is in Smash, they are performing, the character must carry over their playstyle from the original game as much as possible and characters are created as a combination of their source material and Smash's game design and dynamic characters"
The second sentence made me thinking how a moveset from Isaac could work in Smash, without making it very complex.
Simple: Streamline it. I've seen movesets where Isaac uses a different skill for his every input. That works for Mega Man but it runs the risk of being clunky for a more humanoid fighter. Just make his normals consists of simple synergy and sword strikes, and then go from there.

Onassi2

Smash Cadet
As people who are not working on the game, we can’t really speculate on any development issues that would come up, but I feel like Isaac and Golden Sun in general is a pretty good match for that criteria.

1) Isaac is a silent protagonist in the first game, but less so in TLA. I think he has plenty of personality. There are other characters in Smash who are silent protagonists. Even just Isaac’s age as a young adult could qualify him.

2) Psynergy. We’re all Isaac fans here, so enough said.

3) I reckon Isaac could be a complicated character if they were to implement the Djinn system, but this would be totally up to Sakurai.

4) I’m not too sure what “distribution among franchises” exactly means, but Golden Sun is certainly currently underrepresented considering how popular it is with its fans. It sold well and the games are highly regarded. I feel as though a character deserves a spot in Smash.

I would say Isaac matches the criteria pretty well, but hard to say when I’m so biased.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think if he said it all the way back in 2008 it's not really much use today as an indication of which characters will get into Ultimate. Though having said that I don't see how Isaac would have any issues fulfilling this criteria. I'm more worried about whether he got enough votes on the ballot.

It seems kinda sneaky how they're trying to pass it off as a 2018 interview.

Last edited:

James Tutumbero

Smash Rookie
I think that they should compile all attack Venus Psynergy into the same moveset without caring of classes. I'm going to write a moveset for Isaac just for fun.
Edit: No, actually no. I'm not good at drawing.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I think if he said it all the way back in 2008 it's not really much use today as an indication of which characters will get into Ultimate. Though having said that I don't see how Isaac would have any issues fulfilling this criteria. I'm more worried about whether he got enough votes on the ballot.

It seems kinda sneaky how they're trying to pass it off as a 2018 interview.
I love how they say, Sakurai was definitely talking about Super Smaah Bros ultimate back in 2008 guys. This interview is totally not irrelevant by 2018, no sirre.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
I love how they say, Sakurai was definitely talking about Super Smaah Bros ultimate back in 2008 guys. This interview is totally not irrelevant by 2018, no sirre.
I think the only relevant part is Sakurai's thought process. Minus that it doesn't really hold much merit these days

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Thanks, these sound cool (and complicated). I like it when you can use skills outside of battles in RPGs.
This is one of the draws that makes Golden Sun one of the most unique RPGs ever made; the many instances of field psynergy to be used. For example, Growth is psynergy that Isaac can learn that has a battle function, tangling up monsters in vines. However, it can also be used on the field to grow vines into vine ladders. At no point is Growth required to be used in Golden Sun in this way, but it rewards the player handsomely for this experimentation and exploration. And there's even more field psynergy to be used!

Last edited:

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
Clones who use a sword:
:ultlucina::ultchrom::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultroy:
Clones who don't use a sword (+Ganon):
:ultdarksamus::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultdarkpit::ultfalco::ultganondorf::ultrichter::ultdoc::ultlucas:
Actually lucas has always been pretty unique from ness, completely different up and down smashes, different behaving specials. Ganon looks like he is going to have a far different moveset this next game. Falco and Roy have both been changed over the last few games. Falco plays alot different than Fox when I use them, and Roy is now a hybrid of Ike and Marth which I love playing (I hate Marth he is really boring to me) And it looks like Chrom has adopted this and now has Ike's up B. Lucina, Pichu, Dr. Mario, and Dark Pit are so close they may as well be an alternate costume like Olimar has. I can't say about the other new characters as I have not seen them in action enough to compare them.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I think the only relevant part is Sakurai's thought process. Minus that it doesn't really hold much merit these days
You know what Sakurai also thought back in 2008?

I don't think villager would be a good fighter, and Ridley is only suited as a boss.

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
That's really what I predict happening first. GS1/2 remake on Switch as one title, full voice acting, Isaac and Felix are no longer mute, and maybe rework the dialogue a bit.

The main thing I'm unsure of is how they'd handle Felix. I've considered a couple things such as playing through the game as Isaac or Felix, where you get to see Felix's perspective of the events of GS1 and Isaac's of GS2, and maybe Alex is a guest character before Sheba joins. Or maybe they just auto switch to Felix as normal.

See I can see that happening,

Remake the first two games into one, just like how it was supposed to be. British VA.
When units have swords they show (Like dark dawn) throw in the helms too.

I can tell you this, without a doubt the game will sell (IF IT IS DONE RIGHT)
Not like how they killed Chibi Robo

Nintendo can sell Golden Sun.

After Octopath people want JRPGS with a fun cast, look at people when they talked about it, they said it reminds them of Golden Sun.

Isaac gets in Smash people will be even more interested in the series.

Smash got people into FE
Smash got people Earthbound
Smash got people into Kid Icuras

Look at Bayonetta, (Nintendo's newest princess)
yes she had a cult following but with smash, people wanted to know more!

There is no reason for Isaac not to be in Smash besides him being too complex to be a fighter.

Golden Sun can be remade, with a hard mode, full voice acting, go sprite or 3d, make classes a little better, the ****ing summons dont you tell me you dont want to see judgment rain down, online arena, etc, etc, etc

smashultimate copy.png

Take a look at Nintendo's main cast
The X means prob will never come back
The ? means unknown
The 3 is 3rd party
I forgot to mark pac-man

The Mario cast even if they are not in a main game, they are in spin offs, they can always be used
DK with tropical freeze doing so well for the Wii U and the Switch I can see another DK game one day
Metroid stayed relevant due to smash. Other M was a bomb and the prime series was left in the dark. With Return to Samus and Prime 4 coming back due to demand
Star Fox as a pilot I LOVE flying games, I wish I could work with Nintendo to craft a GOOD flying starfox game, however, as it stands, the series does not have a market with Zero. (The Wii U did too much dmg to some IPs)
FE - Aint going nowhere, Heroes is making them too munch $
Pokemon - aint going nowhere
Ice Climbers, Game and Watch, Rob, Duck Hunt- Don't see it, it's Nes classic they are smash characters now
Kirby aint going nowhere
Zelda aint going nowhere
Pit- idk, it's up in arms at this point, his game did super well and I can see a switch game coming after smash
Wii fit - Unless I see Switch fit, she aint coming back
Lil Mac - Arms? Idk, I don't see a punch out game, Mac is in his new fighting world
AC - aint going nowhere
Xeno - idk, it has a market, I don't like the games but people do, xeno 2 is getting DLC
Bayo - Nintendo's bad girl. With Bayo 3 coming I can see her being around for a bit longer.
Splatoon - Nintendo's very successful new IP
Wario - rip wario land, we will only get wariowear and mario party
Earthbound is dead 3 was the last one, producer wants it that way, watch the mother 2 earth documentry
F Zero - Lol

With Isaac, I don't see why not he can't fit into the market for Nintendo with a new GS
Tenis is fun and all but camalot can do so much more, heck give it to another company to work on.

Idk, I see a market for GS, with Octopath doing so damn well.
It's cast is great, the story is great, combat is flash and fun

It fits so well.

Last edited:

alguidrag

Smash Ace
I honestly was unable to find anything concrete details in the direct.

But GOD. Why does Sakurai have so much usage of yellow? There's yellow here, and there's yellow there! Overkill, imo.
Internet: Do you know what is yellow too? GOKU HAIR AS SSJ! GOKU FOR SMASH

Pokemon fans: Do you know what is also yellow? PIKACHU! ALL 151 KANTO POKEMON FOR SMASH

Me: I like yellow, yellow is a nice color

?!?!?!

Smash Ace

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
Hector or Ephraim would have been great choices for smash tbh, I would actually be interested in either character if we maybe had 2 less FE characters
Two of my favorite lords. However with the FE hate, I highly doubt we are going to get another FE character anytime soon

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don't know how I feel about Golden Sun: Dark Dawn.

Part of me.... wanted to go back to the old cast, and the old world of Weyard. I feel there was still more to tell.
Like... the world was basically flat! What happens to everything that went "overboard"? What if there's another world down there. A world without sun (dun dun duuuun) I know it sounds like straight out of Dragon Quest 3, but it would be neat either way.
What if there are negative-lighthouses?

On the other hand, I want the story to keep moving forward... And Dark Dawn could be remade, while fixing some issues (and please, graphical makeover), and carry on from there.
Also... A good descendant of Saturos or Menardi would be BOSS!! (no pun intended).

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Sorry of this has been mentioned before but I'm replaying The Lost Age right now and Felix's first Djinn is called 'Echo'. :laugh:

¡Bienvenido, nuevo amigo! Tu inglés es excelente. Estoy aprendiendo español en Argentina en esto momento. Tu idioma es muy dificíl!
I completely forgot Felix's first Venus Djinn is named, Echo. That makes WAY too much sense for him to be an Echo fighter now.

¡Genial! Lo único que ha fallado ha sido el "esto" que en ese caso sería "este".
Anyway, I actually found the English easy to learn.
¡Jaja! Tienes suerte, amigo. Aprendí Español en el D.F. por 2 años. Fue bien difícil para mí. Por lo menos, puedo entenderlo, escribirlo y leerlo, pero todavía me da dificultad para hablarlo. Y me falta muchas palabras. Entonces, mi vocabulario no es muy bueno. :p

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
F Zero - Lol
:( F-Zero didn't deserve the boot. Nintendo gave it to a really mediocre gaming company, and it showed in the sales.

And it's not like they even advertised it at all.

Because that's something that Nintendo was bad with. Marketing.

Because if it wasn't for the internet, I wouldn't have known that dark dawn existed! Neither did I know GP Legend existed. Or Custom Robo Arena.

Or Sin And punishment: Star Sucessor.

God, they really had bad marketing back then.

Last edited:

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
Internet: Do you know what is yellow too? GOKU HAIR AS SSJ! GOKU FOR SMASH

Pokemon fans: Do you know what is also yellow? PIKACHU! ALL 151 KANTO POKEMON FOR SMASH

Me: I like yellow, yellow is a nice color
Alright i have never posted about this before...so i am gonna say it now. Goku is first and foremost an anime character. So therefor the need to put him in is low...very low. We will get doom marine, master chief, all of Mortal Kombat, Frogger, and any other game you could possibly think of before we will get to the point where Goku and Naruto and any other primarily anime character is used. Lol

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Hector or Ephraim would have been great choices for smash tbh, I would actually be interested in either character if we maybe had 2 less FE characters
Both are victims of bad timing. And even then, were we to get a character from Blazing Sword, Lyn is far more likely.

It's because all the main "lords" use swords.

Hector was a fresh breath of air in FE 7
And he wasn't the main character. He was the third of three. You start with Lyn (instantly making her more recognizable, especially to western fans who didn't play the series until this game) and Eliwood is the main character the rest of the game. Hector is more popular than Eliwood, but he's the furthest from the main character spot.

Similarly, you start with Eirika in Sacred Stones instead of Ephraim.

Like... the world was basically flat! What happens to everything that went "overboard"? What if there's another world down there. A world without sun (dun dun duuuun) I know it sounds like straight out of Dragon Quest 3, but it would be neat either way.
I was literally thinking this exact same thing for an idea in a GS4 where there's an entire world underneath Weyard that is also tied to the Mourning Moon.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I always had this theory that the Psynergy Vortexes could lead somewhere, like an alternate Weyard. A potential Golden Sun 4 could make use of this and build upon alternate Weyard, with alternate Isaac in his iconic form as the main character. Maybe in this world Alchemy never got sealed, and Weyard continued to prosper?

RumpletrellskiN

Smash Cadet
I'm looking to finish the first Golden Sun while I decide on a castlevania to play. Honestly never played a single castlevania sadly and GBA was my life."PROFOUND SADNESS"

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
I'm looking to finish the first Golden Sun while I decide on a castlevania to play. Honestly never played a single castlevania sadly and GBA was my life."PROFOUND SADNESS"
I grew up with super castlevania 4, I suggest that one

I don't know how I feel about Golden Sun: Dark Dawn.

Part of me.... wanted to go back to the old cast, and the old world of Weyard. I feel there was still more to tell.
What if there are negative-lighthouses?

On the other hand, I want the story to keep moving forward... And Dark Dawn could be remade, while fixing some issues (and please, graphical makeover), and carry on from there.
Also... A good descendant of Saturos or Menardi would be BOSS!! (no pun intended).
I think more or less the world was a sphere and started to break apart, if you see the DD storybook you can see the world breaking apart.
Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 12.16.51 PM.png

I want the story to keep moving forward also, but they can pretty much fix things with the first two.

GS was supposed to be a trilogy apparently?
1 and 2 counting as 1 game
3 as one
and 4 as the final

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1030122228334059520?s=19

Look at reggie's desk...I bet they're showing skull kid everywhere just to show him off as a boss in smash ;)
I bet they are, considering they've never done this before. They didn't actively over and over tease any previously added character, especially all right in a row. They'd be blatantly spoiling the surprise. If they were teasing characters (which is hard to say) it was much, much more subtle.

Like, there was KROOL AV in Mario Odyssey, but there were a bunch of street signs named after different DKC characters in that game.

KMDP

Smash Legend
You know what Sakurai also thought back in 2008?

I don't think villager would be a good fighter, and Ridley is only suited as a boss.
It's almost like people can change their minds or something. :rolleyes: (I'm agreeing with you.)

You know what I thought just two weeks ago?

Shadow the Hedgehog can't be Sonic's Echo because they have to be 1:1 and can't have any different moves.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Alright i have never posted about this before...so i am gonna say it now. Goku is first and foremost an anime character. So therefor the need to put him in is low...very low. We will get doom marine, master chief, all of Mortal Kombat, Frogger, and any other game you could possibly think of before we will get to the point where Goku and Naruto and any other primarily anime character is used. Lol
People are crazy if they think that they'll put anime characters in smash since they didn't even do it for arms. (Producer says that he'd rather get a street fighter character in before luffy. lol)
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1030122228334059520?s=19

Look at reggie's desk...I bet they're putting skull kid everywhere just to show him off as a boss in smash ;)
I don't know. Skull Kid soesnt strike as a "Smash Ballot" choice. Maybe he is, but he scored pretty low back in 2015. It's only recently that he became popular.

I think he would be DLC or a late addition if anything.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
People are crazy if they think that they'll put anime characters in smash since they didn't even do it for arms. (Producer says that he'd rather get a street fighter character in before luffy. lol)

I don't know. Skull Kid soesnt strike as a "Smash Ballot" choice. Maybe he is, but he scored pretty low back in 2015. It's only recently that he became popular.

I think he would be DLC or a late edition if anything.
If the fan polls are to be believed, Skull Kid was a complete no-show on the ballot (at least in the West).

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913

The people that want Skull Kid confirmed also follow Loz's theory of a Heroes vs Villains theme, which is ridiculous to think is a theme across the game at this point. Yes, we've gotten two highly requested villains as newcomers. But they also had extreme ballot presence compared to Skull Kid.

Besides, if Heroes vs Villains was a theme for the whole game, they wouldn't have just shown it for K Rool's trailer.

Last edited:

James Tutumbero

Smash Rookie
So, here's my moveset for Isaac, I hope you like it.
-Neutral stance: Similar to the battle sprite in Golden Sun, with the knees a little bit flexed and wearing the sword with both hands in the right part.
-Isaac is accompanied by a Djinni who's flying behind him. I'm going to explain that later.
-Taunt 1: Makes some little rocks fly around him
-Taunt 2: The Djinni flies around Isaac and he laughs
-Taunt 3: Uses the Psynergy hand to do a thumbs-up
-Battle entrance: Teleports into the battle. After Isaac is created by the union of the little spheres, he draws his sword
-Neutral attack: Swings his blade horizontally twice, and then he punches with the Psynergy hand
-Dash attack: Jumps and then he strikes diagonally with his sword. It's obviously a reference to his attacking sprite in Golden Sun
-Side tilt: Swings his sword horizontally
-Up tilt: Raise his hand and then two long spiny vines appear from the ground in front of him
-Down tilt: Puts his hand on the floor and a small stone spire or a thorn emerges from the ground. The spire deals more knockback and the thorn deals more damage
-Neutral aerial: Swings his blade in both sides
-Front aerial: Swings his blade horizontally
-Back aerial: Performs a kick and then he swings his blade
-Up aerial: Performs an overhead slash in form of arc
-Down aerial: Points below him and creates a little rockfall
-Side Smash: Uses the Psynergy hand to make a strong punch in front of him
-Up Smash: Raises both hands and in front of him appear three bamboo stacks to strike upwards
-Down Smash: Puts both hands on the floor and the ground on both sides"opens" to bury the enemies
-Grab: Grabs with the Psynergy hand
-Pummel: Squishes the enemy slowly
-Front throw: Just throws the enemy frontwards
-Back throw: Just throws the enemy backwards
-Up throw: Throws the enemy upwards and Isaac jumps to slash him
-Down throw: Pounds the enemy onto the floor and buries him
-Side Special: Move: He uses the Psynergy hand to push the enemies without damaging them. If the control stick is tilted sidewards the hand will slap.
-Up Special: Retreat: Isaac morphs into little spheres again and reunites them wherever the stick is tilted
-Down Special: Djinn Set: Similar to Shulk's Monado Arts in Ultimate, the four types of Djinn appears in four positions. You can select the Djinni just by tilting the stick into them. The Djinni setted will change Isaac's neutral special.
-Neutral Special:
·Ragnarok (if you have a Venus Djinni): Isaac raises his sword and a large sword appears from nothing and stabs the floor diagonally in front of him. It's the strongest of the four options, but also the one with the longest startup.
·Planetary (if you have a Mars Djinni): Isaac jumps into the Sky (like Kirby's up throw) and lands covered in flames
·Astral Blast (if you have a Jupiter Djinni): Isaac stretches his arm and three star silouettes appear from his hand and strike
·Cutting Edge (if you have a Mercury Djinni): Very similar to Cloud's Blade Beam, Isaac swings his sword and a shockwave is thrown.
-Final Smash: Judgement: A cinematic FS. Isaac summons four Venus Djinn to hit the enemies like the ducks of Duck Hunt's Final Smash. If they manage to hit an opponent, they will bring them into a field while the flying knight with the lion head arm cannon is shooting a sphere that brings catastrophe into the enemies
Edit: I forgot to include the Final Smash lol

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The people that want Skull Kid confirmed also follow Loz's theory of a Heroes vs Villains theme, which is ridiculous to think is a theme across the game at this point. Yes, we've gotten two highly requested villains as newcomers. But they also had extreme ballot presence compared to Skull Kid.

Besides, if Heroes vs Villains was a theme for the whole game, they wouldn't have just shown it for K Rool's trailer.
It was pretty blatantly obvious that Heroes vs Villains was just for K. Rool's trailer. There's zero evidence anywhere else that its any more than that. And the fact that they saved it for K. Rool's trailer is telling, as its that whole buildup dynamic.

"Look at all the rivals already in the game? Who is the last one to add...?"

Its very clear that's all it was.

EDIT: Just another note. I'm not saying that we can't get more villains, but the rivals dynamic was only a buildup to K. Rool's reveal. They saved it for him specifically for a reason. That's all I'm saying.

Skull Kid has always been popular, but not a standout choice for Smash. Midna and Ghirahim were far more supported last time around.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend

Ridley and K. Rool were two of the most requested characters for Smash and just happened to be Villains (pulls out trumpet). There's probably no Heroes/Villains theme.

Top Bottom