• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Say, this might be a bit random, but when's the next "Golden Sunday" going to be? I had a possible idea for how to celebrate, but it would require a good chunk of money, and I didn't want to propose anything too hastily...

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Say, this might be a bit random, but when's the next "Golden Sunday" going to be? I had a possible idea for how to celebrate, but it would require a good chunk of money, and I didn't want to propose anything too hastily...
We're considering hosting one on November but at the moment it's still under consideration. I'll post updates here whenever it's decided

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
We're considering hosting one on November but at the moment it's still under consideration. I'll post updates here whenever it's decided
I suppose I'll go ahead and mention my idea, since it would probably require a bit of pre-planning anyway.

So anybody who watches Death Battle probably knows about Brandon Yates, one of the main composers. Well, he actually does commissions for music tracks for hypothetical matchups. This can range from good matchups:

To... cursed matchups:

Anyway, my idea was simple: to help raise awareness for Golden Sun, we could get an Isaac battle track commissioned in time for Golden Sunday. Unfortunately, there are two problems with my idea: one, these songs cost $200 to get done, and that's just for the default length. Secondly, and this might be the bigger problem here... I don't think Isaac has many good matchups. A majority of them are just "generic JRPG swordsmen", at least as far as I'm aware. Not even VS Battles Wiki could help with that: the only matchups I saw were Sailor Moon (who stomps Isaac so hard it's not even funny) and the Ashen One (which was deemed inconclusive, for what it's worth).

Not only would we have to figure out how to handle the money, we'd also have to find a good matchup for Golden Boy over here. Honestly, I'm not sure that's a hastle anybody here wants to go through, but I wanted to at least mention it.

Paraster

Smash Lord
I suppose I'll go ahead and mention my idea, since it would probably require a bit of pre-planning anyway.

So anybody who watches Death Battle probably knows about Brandon Yates, one of the main composers. Well, he actually does commissions for music tracks for hypothetical matchups. This can range from good matchups:

To... cursed matchups:

Anyway, my idea was simple: to help raise awareness for Golden Sun, we could get an Isaac battle track commissioned in time for Golden Sunday. Unfortunately, there are two problems with my idea: one, these songs cost $200 to get done, and that's just for the default length. Secondly, and this might be the bigger problem here... I don't think Isaac has many good matchups. A majority of them are just "generic JRPG swordsmen", at least as far as I'm aware. Not even VS Battles Wiki could help with that: the only matchups I saw were Sailor Moon (who stomps Isaac so hard it's not even funny) and the Ashen One (which was deemed inconclusive, for what it's worth).

Not only would we have to figure out how to handle the money, we'd also have to find a good matchup for Golden Boy over here. Honestly, I'm not sure that's a hastle anybody here wants to go through, but I wanted to at least mention it.
Pick Isaac from The Binding of Isaac as his opponent.

Although, does "how the matchup plays out" matter when you're commissioning only the music and not a whole video?

Smash Lord

isaac3000

Smash Journeyman
I read that article, was really sad about his friend...

In other news, I finally got 5mash, hoping for anything GS related for the DLC. One final DLC reveal is left right? I can totally see Sakurai be like: I was kidding there is in fact another new comer left tobe revealed.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I read that article, was really sad about his friend...

In other news, I finally got 5mash, hoping for anything GS related for the DLC. One final DLC reveal is left right? I can totally see Sakurai be like: I was kidding there is in fact another new comer left tobe revealed.
Don't expect anything, but somehow, someway, Isaac remains in the running for 11. Which means it probably isn't him right?

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
I still think there's a 1 in 4 chance. The door's still open for a third party, but if it turns out to be first party then there's not a whole lot left I'd realistically consider.

He's in a great position to be the last fan favourite pick of Ultimate, and that's what i'm hoping for. But I still have to consider that it's Nintendo calling the picks now.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
This is completely unrelated to the topic at hand but I bought a Japanese guidebook for the Lost Age. I took a few scans of some art that isn't on the Internet (or at least art I haven't seen) yet, but the only one I'm remotely done fixing the colors for is Poseidon.

View attachment 328096
Holy ****, is THAT how he is supposed to look in-game? I could not make up what he looked like.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

Late to post this. lol Just some really nice scenery here for Isaac in this level. I really like it!

A lot of names are spelled wrong here x)

Phoenix, Isaac, Master Chief, Scorpion....
Yeah. Apparently it was done on purpose to get more people to "talk" about it. lol.
Regardless, I just like seeing Isaac still having demand after everything. Keeping the dream alive!

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I still think there's a 1 in 4 chance. The door's still open for a third party, but if it turns out to be first party then there's not a whole lot left I'd realistically consider.

He's in a great position to be the last fan favourite pick of Ultimate, and that's what i'm hoping for. But I still have to consider that it's Nintendo calling the picks now.
The problem is.... what third party? I don't see any reason to have put Aegis at 9 and saved a bigger one for 11, and basically all of the realistic 3rd party expectations have either been spirited, mii'd or both. Same goes for "recency" first parties.

As long as Nintendo had the invested interest to add Banjo, Nintendo can easily just put in an additional character from the ballot, and he's the best choice, as he was evidently super high up on it. No other way to explain how the franchise got treated in base.

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
There was a problem fetching the tweet

I still like doing these polls because I like to try to show everyone that Isaac is STILL in high demand and that his support was never a "fad" or a "meme". This one should be interesting. :D

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

I still like doing these polls because I like to try to show everyone that Isaac is STILL in high demand and that his support was never a "fad" or a "meme". This one should be interesting. :D
I personally don't give a damn about fan polls made after official negotaitions were already made by Nintendo ( because polls are pointless at that point with Nintendo being done listening already )………… but just in case anyone still wants to know how this poll is going currently on twitter, Isaac is currently winning against Doomguy , and he will be moving to finals to what most likely is gonna be against Euden. In case you wanna vote in that finale, just remember that it will be happening soon after these semifinals are done in about an hour or less (or whenever the twitter guy enables the final voting).

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

Isaac has made it into the Final Round and is going against Euden.
Tbh, I didn’t think he’d get this far, but I’m so happy he did! Shall we make our Golden Boy proud and show everyone that his demand has not wavered after 15+ years? Let’s go!!!

Smash Lord
Isaac won the poll against Euden! It was a very close call but we did it!

Also Isaac has been featured on the November issue of the Nintendo Dream magazine. Really cool for Golden Sun to get recognition like this

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
That's the 25th Nintendo Dream anniversary issue, and if Google Translate is to be believed, it's a product catalog of Nintendo's success over the past 25 years. I don't think it's anything important, but it is super cool to see Golden Sun get some recognition from Nintendo.
I mean, if anything, Golden Sun still being acknowledged as part of their success is something nice to see. At least it should prove some people out there wrong, about GS "not being big" despite being one of the best sellers on the GBA, or even denying it's still beloved and people look forward to its return even to this day.

If not fans, at least this BIG magazine is gonna remind people out there. Always a good thing. I just wonder if there will be an actual mention, or if it's just a cover thing…

Last edited:

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Damn that's a nice timing to bring this back to people mind before a new release °3° Right ? ... right ?

It's not an official magazine tho' is it ?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Question why is Isaac more popular than Matthew?
'cause he's the OG protag of the franchise basically.
Same as to why Red is the most popular pokemon Trainer overall among the playable ones
That, and because Dark Dawn's marketing was an epic fail, so barely anyone knew about the game, even among big Golden Sun fans, lol.

Last edited:

DrakeHavok

Smash Cadet
That, and because Dark Dawn's marketing was an epic fail, so barely anyone knew about the game, even among big Golden Sun fans, lol.
Also also, Matthew is practically identical to Isaac and thus kinda feels like a cheap knockoff. Yes, he is Isaac's son so a degree of similarity makes sense, but in this case it's excessive (and not helped by the series' poor characterization of its main characters).

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Also also, Matthew is practically identical to Isaac and thus kinda feels like a cheap knockoff. Yes, he is Isaac's son so a degree of similarity makes sense, but in this case it's excessive (and not helped by the series' poor characterization of its main characters).
Definitely. I literally made this edit a few days ago, where my take was : I wish Isaac just kept his yellow scarf on himself, he just looks badass with it.

But on top of that, there's also that Matthew could've looked… more unique on his own? like the hair should already be enough to tell you he is probably Isaac's son… and sure, it might be a neat thing to think there was a "father passes an iconic item of his to his son" moment with the scarf, but it could perfectly work the other way around as well, where none of that happened and Matthew still gets a cool design of his own that doesn't end looking like "Isaac wearing better detailed clothes", lol. Don't get me wrong I like Matthew how he looks anyway, but I definitely will say that it could've been better too.

I think the thing that hurt Matthew the most was not having a personality in DD at all, other than being "the player"… because yes, at least Isaac has talked in The Lost Age and Dark Dawn to the point he grew a personality of his own character.

So far all we've gotten with Matthew is him dropping a curse bomb near the end of Dark Dawn lmfao ( I like to think he got that from Jenna somehow… )
MatthewCurse.png

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Isaac and Bomberman together! Almost look like they're playable here. (Technically Mii Bomberman is "playable" bus still...)

Lol Matthew cursing because of Jenna never occured to me, this is my headcanon from now on! (I mean look at her in my profile pic, she is badass cursing must come natural to her)
If you like Jenna, then you would love Laura, a GS Twitter artist who loves Jenna and Isaac and all the GS characters. She is amazing and can pull off a great cosplay of Jenna too! You should follow her if you haven't already. She also helps that headcannon of Matt getting that attitude from Jenna. lol

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Top Bottom