• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Summer of Smash Week 3: 2GGC: Nairo Saga and Saints Gaming Live

NNID
User7a1
Scatt :4megaman: 3-2 JK :4bayonetta2:
EDIT: Ninja'd
Well, top 16 loser's is looking interesting.
Regi :4gaw: vs Scatt :4megaman: (Winner goes up against Elegant :4luigi:)
Ratio :4duckhunt: vs Samsora :4peach::rosalina: (Winner goes up against Abadongo :4mewtwo:)
Komorikiri :4cloud2: vs FOW :4ness: (Winner goes up against loser of Leo and Void)
Tweek :4cloud2: vs Salem :4bayonetta: (Winner goes up against KEN :4sonic:)

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
I am seriously beginning to think Cloud really has no bad MU's at all. Heck I think itd safe to argue Cloud is the #1 chracter in the game. I mean three Clouds in the top 16? Thats two more than any other character left

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
So, can we just marvel that FOW PK Thundered directly at the ledge of FD, hit where it should have been, didn't grab it, bounced off, and died?

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Salem :4bayonetta:3-2 Tweek :4cloud2:

Man did Tweek ever look MAD after losing game 5

Maybe due to being just soo close to making that comeback after losing the first stock early

Last edited:

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
So, can we just marvel that FOW PK Thundered directly at the ledge of FD, hit where it should have been, didn't grab it, bounced off, and died?
That happens because the game registered Ness hitting the wall before it registers hitting the ledge at certain angles because it's already not hard enough trying to recover with Ness why not make it harder? Bad thing is you really have no way of knowing if you'll grab the ledge or not so you have to prepare to do another PKT2, unfortunately FOW thought he would be closer to the lip when he did it but wasn't.

Good stuff to him today though 13th out of 400 at a S tier event with a character everyone keeps writing off as a irrelevant mid tier is great. He definitely should had camped Komo though after getting even the smallest lead more often he was a bit to aggro.

AusJJV

Smash Rookie
NNID
bowjacashle
3DS FC
0516-7571-4084
At THAT SPECIFIC ANGLE Ness (nor Lucas I think) cannot grab the ledge, and need to do a double pk thunder. I think FOW realised at the last moment that he bounced pff and that's why his PK Thunder was very odd and seeimngly delayed. Props to his losers run tho.

freeziebeatz

Smash Apprentice
KEN vs Salem should be interesting as both think their character excels at the match up.

NNID
User7a1
This bracket was missing something.
Abadongo :4metaknight: 3-1 Samsora :4peach:
At least Samsora took a game.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Very interested how this KEN vs Salem match is gonna go since Salem thinks Sonic is total garbo and thinks he's figured out the character lol

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Komokiri :4cloud2:3-0 Void :4sheik:

The two top Sheiks both 3-0'd by Clouds.

I will say it again This MU is looking less favorable for Sheik as time goes , and its looking morend more like Cloud has no real "bad matchups" at all

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Well he just showed everyone lol

Salem:4bayonetta:3-0 KEN:4sonic:
Honestly that wasn't as free as I'd expect given how he spoke of the character and KEN was just as close to taking every one of those games. Every game went to a "last hit" situation and both Sonic/Bayonetta are forced to employ similar defensive tactics for a wing-and-a-prayer KO move when they're at kill percentages. Salem just had the upper edge for every one of them.

Kinda disappointed Salem's hyped up trickery for that matchup was basically "play defensive Bayo and hope you win the neutral".

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Honestly that wasn't as free as I'd expect given how he spoke of the character and KEN was just as close to taking every one of those games. Every game went to a "last hit" situation and both Sonic/Bayonetta are forced to employ similar defensive tactics for a wing-and-a-prayer KO move when they're at kill percentages. Salem just had the upper edge for every one of them.

Kinda disappointed Salem's hyped up trickery for that matchup was basically "play defensive Bayo and hope you win the neutral".
He talked of no such "hyped up trickery" tho. Salem said sonic sucks because his nuetral/approach game is linear and his landing is awful.

He abused both well and beat him more convincingly each game.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Elegant 3-1 Scatt, advancing to top 8.

I think this is Elegant's best placing at a major yet.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
He talked of no such "hyped up trickery" tho. Salem said sonic sucks because his nuetral/approach game is linear and his landing is awful.

He abused both well
Then Bayonetta doesn't strike me as a good character to exemplify that. KEN managed to offset the witch time risks by opting for grabs and late aerials. Both of those characters are forced to play incredibly linear when pitted against each other. If anything KEN was just as prone to abusing Bayonetta's weaknesses.

Again, every round was last hit situation. Considering how the tier list topic was excited to see what Salem had on the matchup, kind of expected it to not be something that makes the matchup look even more like a 50:50.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
WHOAH
2 bayos and 2 clouds in top 8.
They actually managed to not completely slaughter each other.
Betting on wins being komo > aba, elegant > salem, Leo > ally, and Nairo > ZeRo (yeah going there).
Nairo has only 3-4 people between him and the end of the curse.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Apparently Aba brought out the MK for, what, first time since UGC? 3-1'ed komo. Did not expect that.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Salem :4bayonetta:3-1 Elegant :4luigi:

Its starting to look like Bayo players are learning how to better play the MU now.

Can we take a moment to look appriciate he insane losers run Salem has had this tournament. He started top 48 in the losers bracket and has climbed up all the way now into the top 6 in a super-stacked S-Tier competition. Beating Mr.R, Tweek, KEN and even the Bayo Killer Elegant just now

Last edited:

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Some patches later and Hoo-Hah is still a thing.
Game 1 to ZeRo. Plz Nairo, don't get two-stocked like that again, that was nasty.

Naaaaaiiiiiiiiroooooooooo

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Apparently Aba brought out the MK for, what, first time since UGC? 3-1'ed komo. Did not expect that.
His Mk was absolutely emasculating in game 3. Wow. Beat him in like under a minute.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Okay...if Salem can actullay make GF at this tournament starting from the top 48 in Losers. That is worth a trophy in itself

Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Salem did a really good job of trying to contest Nairo at what he does best: the CQC game. It looks like he got Nairo to shy away from using his strongest tools in CQC. I think I saw Nairo D-smash once or twice. Salem is playing like a monster today.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Eh, at the top level, where players are using top tier characters with dynamically changing MUs between them, you end up playing against the player more often than not. Quite a few top players in Smash 4 note that the biggest difference at the top between this game and Melee is the focus on MU vs MU like in Melee, rather than player vs player, like in Sm4sh.

This perceived difference, of course, is a matter of degrees.

Salem's just a really smart player.

Top Bottom