• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Summer of Smash Week 3: 2GGC: Nairo Saga and Saints Gaming Live

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Regardless of what the PGR says, today, Salem is playing like not just the best Bayo, but also like a top 5 player.

Salem :4bayonetta2: 3-2 Leo :4marth:

Illuminose

Smash Ace
major takeaways/narratives out of nairo saga:

1) holy ****, salem. salem just made the second best losers run in smash 4 history, only second to zero's run at big house 5. he beat 3/5 of the top 5 (leo/ally/nairo), #6 (mr.r), two top 15 players that specialize at beating bayo (tweek/ken), bayo killer elegant, and twi/quik/tltc to make it to grands, in which he took the best player in the world to the brink. if anyone was debating who the best bayo is, there's your answer. this is big because it's by far the best performance of a bayo at a super major and a huge breakout for salem, who was struggling to cling onto a top 15 ranking and might legitimately be top 10 pgr after this, depending on how ceo goes for him. and rather than showcasing how bayo can kill you off one hit, salem won neutral exchanges over and over, and showed immense prowess in raw advantage state. this is what people have been expecting out of salem for months, and he delivered.

2) zero and leo are blatantly #1 and #2 in the world right now. neither dropped a single game until winners finals, showcasing their dominance. although leo didn't get the runback in grands, he still had an amazing run this tournament.

3) bittersweet finishes for the sheik mains. mr.r didn't perform particularly poorly, losing to void and salem for 17th, and neither did void who lost to mkleo and komo for 9th, but neither making it into top 8 breaks with trends this year. moreover, void getting 6-0'd in the sheik cloud matchup is pretty telling considering that sheik is supposed to have an advantage in that matchup.

4) not-so-freeu. quik defeating larry and aperture taking out tweek/anti are pretty much the first glimpses we've had at the skill in the hands of european players. although neither could make it into top 16, i think this tournament was a big deal for europe considering how poorly european players have tended to perform at US tournaments.

5) non-top tiers performing really well. we had samsora and scatt at 9th place, both with very impressive showings, and elegant sneaking his way into top 8 with his luigi. raito made it into top 16, defeating ranai and quik, as did regi with his g&w, who was close to beating abadango and defeated aperture in a matchup often considered horrendous for g&w. with songn back on his game in japan and more regi soon at evo, g&w seems to be back on the rise. there's finally fow with ness, who only lost to ally and komorikiri at this tournament while defeating marss and locus, two impressive wins.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
major takeaways/narratives out of nairo saga:

1) holy ****, salem. salem just made the second best losers run in smash 4 history, only second to zero's run at big house 5. he beat 3/5 of the top 5 (leo/ally/nairo), #6 (mr.r), two top 15 players that specialize at beating bayo (tweek/ken), bayo killer elegant, and twi/quik/tltc to make it to grands, in which he took the best player in the world to the brink. if anyone was debating who the best bayo is, there's your answer. this is big because it's by far the best performance of a bayo at a super major and a huge breakout for salem, who was struggling to cling onto a top 15 ranking and might legitimately be top 10 pgr after this, depending on how ceo goes for him. and rather than showcasing how bayo can kill you off one hit, salem won neutral exchanges over and over, and showed immense prowess in raw advantage state. this is what people have been expecting out of salem for months, and he delivered.

2) zero and leo are blatantly #1 and #2 in the world right now. neither dropped a single game until winners finals, showcasing their dominance. although leo didn't get the runback in grands, he still had an amazing run this tournament.

3) bittersweet finishes for the sheik mains. mr.r didn't perform particularly poorly, losing to void and salem for 17th, and neither did void who lost to mkleo and komo for 9th, but neither making it into top 8 breaks with trends this year. moreover, void getting 6-0'd in the sheik cloud matchup is pretty telling considering that sheik is supposed to have an advantage in that matchup.

4) not-so-freeu. quik defeating larry and aperture taking out tweek/anti are pretty much the first glimpses we've had at the skill in the hands of european players. although neither could make it into top 16, i think this tournament was a big deal for europe considering how poorly european players have tended to perform at US tournaments.

5) non-top tiers performing really well. we had samsora and scatt at 9th place, both with very impressive showings, and elegant sneaking his way into top 8 with his luigi. raito made it into top 16, defeating ranai and quik, as did regi with his g&w, who was close to beating abadango and defeated aperture in a matchup often considered horrendous for g&w. with songn back on his game in japan and more regi soon at evo, g&w seems to be back on the rise. there's finally fow with ness, who only lost to ally and komorikiri at this tournament while defeating marss and locus, two impressive wins.

Winners: :4bayonetta2::4cloud::4gaw::4luigi::4duckhunt::4peach::4metaknight::4ness:

Losers: I don't any characters got flatout exposed or over hyped sides :4corrin: I guess. No :4falcon: either but Fataility didn't attend. Was there any:4dk: action? No :4lucario:either despite his hype, and very noticeabley, no :4lucina:from Zero unless he busted her out in grands which I didn't see.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Winners: :4bayonetta2::4cloud::4gaw::4luigi::4duckhunt::4peach::4metaknight:

Losers: I don't any characters got flatout exposed or over hyped sides :4corrin: I guess. No :4falcon: either but Fataility didn't attend. Was there any:4dk: action? No :4lucario:either despite his hype, and very noticeabley, no :4lucina:from Zero unless he busted her out in grands which I didn't see.
Add :4ness:. FOW went through Rich Brown, Marss and Locus, all players/characters Ness players and FOW himself lost a lot last year.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I'm not sure if this is necessarily a win for :4metaknight:

He kinda just did what we all know he does best lol. Eradicating floaties
And showed how well he can hold his own vs Cloud, mutilating Komo in about a minute in one game offstage.

And killing Cloud at 80 with bair offstage. That move is insane with rage.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Yeah, I don't know if Cloud has no bad match ups, but MK sure can have a pretty good time with him.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Results-based tier list as I have done a couple times before.
S: :4bayonetta::4zss::4cloud:
A: :4mario::4sheik::4sonic::4metaknight:
B: :4diddy::4ness::4marth::4fox::4ryu::4megaman::4peach::4luigi::4mewtwo:
C: :4olimar::4villager:(:4duckhunt::4gaw:):rosalina::4pikachu:(:4falcon::4tlink:):4lucas:
D: (:4charizard::4corrin::4littlemac::4rob::4shulk::4zelda:)(:4lucina::4palutena::4robinm::4samus::4wiifit:)
F: (:4bowser::4bowserjr::4dedede::4darkpit::4dk::4drmario::4falco::4ganondorf::4greninja::4myfriends::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4link::4lucario::4pacman::4pit::4feroy::4wario::4yoshi:)

I also decided to do one based on just the top 48 this time.
S: :4cloud::4bayonetta::4zss:
A: :4sheik::4sonic:(:4mario::4metaknight::4diddy:)
B: :4marth::4metaknight::4luigi::4peach::4olimar::4mewtwo:
C: :4fox:(:4duckhunt::4gaw::4ness:)
D: (:rosalina::4ryu::4villager:):4lucas:
F: (:4bowser::4bowserjr::4falcon::4charizard::4corrin::4dedede::4darkpit::4dk::4drmario::4falco::4ganondorf::4greninja::4myfriends::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4littlemac::4link::4lucario::4lucina::4pacman::4palutena::4pikachu::4pit::4rob::4robinm::4feroy::4samus::4shulk::4wario::4wiifit::4yoshi::4zelda:)

Top Bottom