• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stupid Falco

NeeQueoHH

Smash Apprentice
yeah ive had a thread before about ICs, and yeah now one on falco. yeah i need help. lyk of course theres the matchup thread but lyk i need some detail.

SHL kinda bother, jolts arnt as fast and so easy to see and shined bak at me. my frends approach with his shffl dair cant be grabd after because of shine and yeah wat ever he wants to follow it with. well what do you people do against falcos???

Somebody

Smash Journeyman
Pretend i never said anything about samus.... Definetly didnt notice this was in character specific..... I had a ****** moment >.<

- - - - - - - -

dsmash and ftilts

N64

Smash Champion
Dsmash, yeah. Stay above him on platforms if he SHL a lot to avoid the laser. You can also approach with a jolt and eat it if he reflects it, then it's a guarenteed ftilt. Gimp him with bthrow edgeguard or chainthrow whenever possible (though, falco is hard to grab).

But yeah, it's a crummy matchup. Own his crappy recovery whenever you can, and you might come out ahead.

ZimTheGrimm

Smash Rookie
i used to play picachu, falco is a fast faller...so get him off the edge and use well aimed tail flicks to get him too low to recover, then use your great recovery

DaFlameking

Smash Cadet
Pikachus' air game owns Falco's recovery so do some up airs and neutral a's as to get your advantage.

Dont plan to hit falco with dash attacks. 90% of falco users usually shield grab once you've missed and do shine combos which is pikachu's greatest weakness.

You can however rush him with jolts even though he'll reflect them or shield and once your close enough, side step (this is when he will grab and miss) and you will be able to pull off an attack (most preferably a down smash) and get him with your air game.

When you know he's going to spike you with his down + a, do either up air or neutral airs to counter them. 50% chance you will have an advantage and it will cancel out the spike.

As for his shine combo's. I cant avoid or escape any of them, no matter how many falcos i play and how much they mix it up, its frustrating.

Try to also play low like down tilts when your percent is low and he's doing forward and down smashs/tilts.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
Pikachus' air game owns Falco's recovery so do some up airs and neutral a's as to get your advantage.

Dont plan to hit falco with dash attacks. 90% of falco users usually shield grab once you've missed and do shine combos which is pikachu's greatest weakness.

You can however rush him with jolts even though he'll reflect them or shield and once your close enough, side step (this is when he will grab and miss) and you will be able to pull off an attack (most preferably a down smash) and get him with your air game.

When you know he's going to spike you with his down + a, do either up air or neutral airs to counter them. 50% chance you will have an advantage and it will cancel out the spike.

As for his shine combo's. I cant avoid or escape any of them, no matter how many falcos i play and how much they mix it up, its frustrating.

Try to also play low like down tilts when your percent is low and he's doing forward and down smashs/tilts.

Just ignore this post.

Z-N_Freak

Smash Ace
Uthrow and Chaingrab him lol.
and uuhhh

Upair is to good, especially the tailspike thingy ^^
and uhh, Dthrow -> tech chase -> upsmash ^^
also, Nair and land behind him far enough so he can't do anything against it =)

I myself Do not use the Dsmash a lot against Falco as he kinda gets one hit most of the time and then you can't do anything anymore.
Ftilt is good for edgeguarding and also jump out and Tailspike em =)

The lasers you can avoid by ducking, or just plain jumping, but better is if you can Power Shield. Just duck and when the laser is above you shield. It will always powershield then, but since the laser will not always be above you, you can't do it like that all the time =/

Hopefully you don't have to ignore my post, lol xD

Metà

Smash Master
One of my favourite things to do against Falco's is juggle them with full-hop U-airs. Face away from them and do a string of U-air's (make sure the U-air starts right as you leave the ground). This can lead to devastating combos, and you can put a N-air or thunder at the end sometimes. I'll post some of my matches in a couple weeks, even though I don't use Pikachu, just to see if I can help with this match-up at all.

_Riot_

Smash Journeyman
>_> then give us noob pikachus more information to fighting against falco lol. if my post was useless, give us something useful =P
Sorry, this has nothing to do with the thread >.<

You live quite close to me (im in Delray Beach) go to "Smash Tournament" >> Region Zones >> Atlantic South and find tournys

If i have never heard of you or seen you that means you dont go to tournys often, you can learn alot from them, just a suggestion if you want to go beyond normal casual play with just freinds.

DaFlameking

Smash Cadet
heh. Yeah. Im a lil unknown cuz i just got into intense competitive smash since august 2006. Much more of a pro videogame and real life racer BUT I've been playing well but not like professionally. I do however compete in matches and small tourneys at my University at FAU (in our new smash club)

Soon together we will try to enter some of the tourneys like where you just said once we get better and beat these bad *** falcos all over the state and thats why im there and here.

heh

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
Light shielding in this matchup is amazing.

If you LS his dair then he can't shine you and you get a free usmash out of shield, or maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

Everyone that has posted has some good things to say.

dragoonv86

Smash Apprentice
downsmash is the key to beating falco with pika, than remember that pika has the strongest up smash in the game so whenever enough damage is done just grab slam down than up smash combo. pretty easy actually

N64

Smash Champion
Uthrow->usmash is guaranteed at low->mid percentages on fastfallers (just follow DI). Dthrow to usmash is guaranteed on no character at no percentage (that I know of). I'll test it out some more, but I'm pretty sure anyone can DI out of the usmash after a dthrow. You can, however, techchase them after a dthrow (at lower percentages on non-superlight characters) into a usmash or grab.

Additionally, on the falco matchup, at lowish pika percentages play primarily near the edges of the stage with your back to the edge. This way, if you get a grab in, it leads to backthrow, then you can jump out and hit him with an aerial for a quick kill. Also, dsmash->reverse tailspike works in this position for some DIs, and can lead to grab->bthrow for others. If the falco tries pillaring you, you can DI off the stage and use your lengthy recovery (as long as the dair spike stun doesn't last long enough to outright kill you) to return. From the edge, you can try to bait a dair/dsmash and then hop a uair from the edge. This will knock him a little up and behind you (off the stage), and you can occasionally gimp him with another uair or nair before he can recover. Once either of you are at higher percentages, staying near the middle of the stage is better so that you don't outright die from a well placed bair/nair/smash.
An exception to this is on any stage where you can chainthrow him (FD, FoD when the platforms are down, etc.), since you gain somewhat of an advantage if you are able to grab falco in the middle of the stage, as he can't DI towards the edge of the stage very quickly.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
r u guys sure about the dsmash thing...if the falco is good he will abuse ur dsmashes by just jumping over u and starting a shine pillar combo...yes i use dsmash a lot...but a lot of falcos will play a vertical game...where they just keep jumping up and down and doing aerials to shine...if they play like dat its hard to abuse dsmash....reply please...peace

-hiroshi

DaFlameking

Smash Cadet
yea. even though dsmash is effective against falco, some good falco players are able to DI out of it and get only 2 hits of it.

I used to spam it alot but now i do it everytime when a falco's trying to grab me but i sidestep, so he misses and has a delay and then i down smash. works well.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
Pikachu needs to tech chase in this matchup.

I techchase with Dsmash, Usmash, and throws.

Remember Grab dthrow, follow tech and dsmash.

If Falco is playing a more vertical game, either run underneath and usmash his dair (it'll trade) or you can try dsmash (which win's like 40% of the time) or you can try backing off and throwing jolts or spamming nairs.

sweetooth

Smash Ace
this thread is great. i just keep looking back for tips when i need them. what i do know for sure though, is facing a falco who can pillar( i mean pillar good) is really tough

N64

Smash Champion
Fair is decent against his recovery when you are in a position where you can't reach him with anything else and need to immediately hit him with something. If you still have your second jump you can fast fall it and then jump->uair or nair. Or, you can fair through him, and then quick attack back through him to hopefully throw him off or steal his second jump and then ledgehog him.

Otherwise yeah, nair/dair/uair are better if you are able to position it.

sweetooth

Smash Ace
i just faced a decent falco yesterday and did horrible. i think i just wasnt paying smart. i would justt shffl right into his shield. but i have a better understanding of that matchup now. thanks for all the tips

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
Ive been playing Viperboy a lot lately, who is a more than decent Falco. I should record those matches...I beat him in friendlies almost every match, and it would teach pika players how to approach the character. I spend a lot of the match getting falco into tail combos and cheap kills.

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
Dthrow to usmash is guaranteed on no character at no percentage (that I know of). I'll test it out some more, but I'm pretty sure anyone can DI out of the usmash after a dthrow.
I'm pretty sure you can dthrow->usmash a peach at 50% and higher, even with good DI.

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
can't peach just nair you before you can usmash at that percentage?
That's what happens when I try it too early. I don't remember exactly what percentage, but it gets to a point where she can't do anything but DI. I'm pretty sure it's somewhere around 50-60%.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
ive bee playing more falcos with my pka since im getting really serious with her...and waiting for them to jump out of a shine and jumping up and uair'ing or nair'ing seems to work really well...also full jumped jolts to try and counter-act their shl....peace

-hiroshi

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
Playing Volt Tackle's Pika, he likes to own my recovery with f-smash. It's annoying as hell. Do it.

N64

Smash Champion
down-angled ftilt > fsmash. I love just tapping a falco off with that over and over, and then just jumping out and nairing him to finish it.

Top Bottom